Can I really travel with my clean vape in Europe/America?

Tranquility

There are two questions here:

1. What is the legality?

2. What is the risk?

As to the legality, for places that have laws against cannabis paraphernalia, cannabis vapes are illegal. No matter how clean. No matter how much aromatherapy claims are made. An apple can be paraphernalia, if your intent is to use it for cannabis.

As to the risk, that varies from place to place. Certainly, some places are more drugwarriorcrazed than others. As well, we have the skill and abilities of the highly-trained inspectors (HTI) to consider. As many have said, either they don't recognize some vapes or they don't care. One way many here try to help them not recognize the true purpose of the vape is to make sure it is very clean. Not only would that help in having HTI not recognize the purpose of the item, but also, even if the HTI was drugwarriorcrazed they might recognize how hard it would be to make a case without some residue. Residue? Easy proof of paraphernalia. No residue? Have to bring in experts and try to prove intent by other methods.

But, clean vapes intended for cannabis are paraphernalia.

Tranquility,

Edward_007

What's
There are two questions here:

1. What is the legality?

2. What is the risk?

As to the legality, for places that have laws against cannabis paraphernalia, cannabis vapes are illegal. No matter how clean. No matter how much aromatherapy claims are made. An apple can be paraphernalia, if your intent is to use it for cannabis.

As to the risk, that varies from place to place. Certainly, some places are more drugwarriorcrazed than others. As well, we have the skill and abilities of the highly-trained inspectors (HTI) to consider. As many have said, either they don't recognize some vapes or they don't care. One way many here try to help them not recognize the true purpose of the vape is to make sure it is very clean. Not only would that help in having HTI not recognize the purpose of the item, but also, even if the HTI was drugwarriorcrazed they might recognize how hard it would be to make a case without some residue. Residue? Easy proof of paraphernalia. No residue? Have to bring in experts and try to prove intent by other methods.

But, clean vapes intended for cannabis are paraphernalia.
What's interesting is that I couldn't find any information about legal status of drug paraphernalia for any other country except the US. Makes me wonder if "drug paraphernalia" is a legal term only in the USA, and everywhere else they care only about the substances themselves

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
I would probably only attempt public travel (Flying) with a Dynavap vape. And I would disassemble it and put the separate parts with similar looking yet unrelated items in different spots in my baggage.

west-elec

What's

What's interesting is that I couldn't find any information about legal status of drug paraphernalia for any other country except the US. Makes me wonder if "drug paraphernalia" is a legal term only in the USA, and everywhere else they care only about the substances themselves
No, Australia has strict paraphernalia laws that are always tacked onto possession charges lists to make it sound like a larger crime, even cigarettes papers stored with weed are paraphernalia. Don't expect other hard line countries to be any different. Countries like US and Australia forced trading countries into strict drug laws and they wouldn't have allowed them to leave paraphernalia off the law books.
Whether or not you could argue that down in court is not a place you want to be, but good idea of carrying tobacco as pre defense.
Also from what I have seen of airport detector dogs if one of them is on duty no matter how clean you think you've gotten your vape, they will be all over you.

condition

I do not know if OP still follows but I have travelled around europe with my good old mighty, including capsules in another bag in a case and never had a problem, whether on cabin bag or checked in bag. I would be very surprised even if TSA officer pays even attention to it. For example most tourist shops in Amsterdam display in 1st place the grinders, the bongs, rolling equipment and the vaporizers. It would be very odd not to allow them to leave the country. Additionally TSAs are not trained to recognise vaporizers, an electricity adapter from 110 to 220 has draw their attention more than my vape and there are tens of vaporizers, so if they are not trained it would be very odd to know most of them.

condition,

Edward_007

I do not know if OP still follows but I have travelled around europe with my good old mighty, including capsules in another bag in a case and never had a problem, whether on cabin bag or checked in bag. I would be very surprised even if TSA officer pays even attention to it. For example most tourist shops in Amsterdam display in 1st place the grinders, the bongs, rolling equipment and the vaporizers. It would be very odd not to allow them to leave the country. Additionally TSAs are not trained to recognise vaporizers, an electricity adapter from 110 to 220 has draw their attention more than my vape and there are tens of vaporizers, so if they are not trained it would be very odd to know most of them.
Thanks, that's really helpful. I'm planning to travel around Europe next year with my new Arizer Air 2, so now I'll be worried a lot less :)

Edward_007,
Top Bottom