• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Can I QWISO a glycerin extract?

Dberm

Hey so my friend gave me a bunch of this stuff that dispensaries use to make medicated sodas and stuff like that. Apparently this stuff is very potent, and I'm wondering if it would be possible for me to do an alcohol or butane or some sort of extraction so that I can have oil instead of this stuff?

Thanks!

Dberm,

Purpl3_Haz3

On a Permanent Vakation
Great idea! I too am very interested in an answer to this...I am a medical patient, but our state won't allow hashes / waxes yet. They do however, allow tinctures, and edibles. If anyone here knows of any way to separate the actives from the glycerin, it would be greatly appreciated! :peace:

Purpl3_Haz3,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
If you can find the boiling point of the glycerin you might be able to distill it out to separate it from the oil. Just an idea though, I don't have a lot experience with distillation except for a few childhood experiments.

Isn't glycerin also used in ecigs as well btw, or is that a different kind? If not you might be able to vape it either trough an ecig or one of your vaporizers too.

OhTheAgony,

StickyShisha2

i thought thc in glycerin was more of a suspension. you may be able to separate them with a centrifuge

StickyShisha2,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
Lo,

Purpl3_Haz3

On a Permanent Vakation
Lo said:
Glycerin is a suspension actually. Also worthy of note when you get glycerin to it's boiling point it produces a toxic substance called acrolein. The boiling point is 290 Celsius but acrolein starts being generated at 280 C.

I'd do homework before trying to break down the glycerin tincture myself.

Throw a tablespoon in a cup of hot tea IMHO :D

http://esmokersmag.com/2009/03/26/glycerin-and-the-acrolein-problem-anyone-vaping-vg-read-this/

Yeah, the acrolein is the reason I haven't attempted many things with this tincture. I do often mix it in with beverages, food, etc...I am just looking for hash, as I don't have access to it through the dispensary or otherwise.

At some point, I will make some hash either with my ever growing supply of AVB, or with some fresh herb from the dispensary. I just find myself needing that quick effective dosing that hash has provided in the past. It works better for me than a lot of other things do, in certain situations.

I guess more research is in order before I decide whether or not to ditch this idea. :peace:

Purpl3_Haz3,

Dberm

Purpl3_Haz3 said:
Yeah, the acrolein is the reason I haven't attempted many things with this tincture. I do often mix it in with beverages, food, etc...I am just looking for hash, as I don't have access to it through the dispensary or otherwise.

At some point, I will make some hash either with my ever growing supply of AVB, or with some fresh herb from the dispensary. I just find myself needing that quick effective dosing that hash has provided in the past. It works better for me than a lot of other things do, in certain situations.

I guess more research is in order before I decide whether or not to ditch this idea. :peace:

Unfortunately my centrifuge has been on the fritz!

;-) I decided to leave the glycerin as it sits. Thought about it and it was stupid that I asked if I could do an extract cause the glycerin would still be in the mix.

This stuff isn't potent enough to vape unless ya feel like puffin all day. Making your own hash oil is easier than you'd think... Just get some trimmings and do QWISO method and badaboom hash!

Dberm,

Dberm

I just made my first qwiso extract and it was easy breasy! I was able to get a pretty damn good yield from the looks of it too...

Dberm,

Purpl3_Haz3

On a Permanent Vakation
Dberm said:
Purpl3_Haz3 said:

Unfortunately my centrifuge has been on the fritz!

;-) I decided to leave the glycerin as it sits. Thought about it and it was stupid that I asked if I could do an extract cause the glycerin would still be in the mix.

This stuff isn't potent enough to vape unless ya feel like puffin all day. Making your own hash oil is easier than you'd think... Just get some trimmings and do QWISO method and badaboom hash!

Yeah, qwiso always seemed pretty simple. I just don't have access to trim. Once I can afford to get some extra herb to make some qwiso hash I'll do it. What is the minimum recommended amount of herb for decent qwiso? I'll be using high grade dispensary herb. I plan on using one strain for the hash, and maybe two batches with different strains, if it doesnt take much to make a decent amount.

Purpl3_Haz3,

Dberm

Purpl3_Haz3 said:
Yeah, qwiso always seemed pretty simple. I just don't have access to trim. Once I can afford to get some extra herb to make some qwiso hash I'll do it. What is the minimum recommended amount of herb for decent qwiso? I'll be using high grade dispensary herb. I plan on using one strain for the hash, and maybe two batches with different strains, if it doesnt take much to make a decent amount.

I did QWISO for the second time the other day and it worked pretty damn well. First time a filter I made didnt work and the trim sat in the alcohol for too long. Even that stuff works and get you extremely medicated. It is really really simple, just find a guide and follow it to the T. I feel a whole lot safer doing qwiso vs bho too!

Talk to your local coop about getting some good trim. They may be able to hep you out! But think about it like this: using trim I am getting about 10% return. With some dank you should be looking at more yield per volume since there is much more active ingredients in the buds than in trim. I would say to make a run worth your time, you'd want about a gram of oil. You can make less than this, but I'd put the cutoff at around .5g. To make .5g I'd use about 5g of trim. For you it could be anywhere from 2.5-5g to produce .5g of oil.

And you can do multiple washes, I only do 2 but some people will do 3 and even 4. The quality gets lower with each wash.

Dberm,

Dberm

I think I'm going to go BHO for my next extract. A little scarrier for sure, but from what I'm reading it'll be worth it. The main thing I dont like about QWISO is the chlorophyll. It seems like no matter what I do I still get it in the mix and it makes the oil harsh / it isn't "full melt" meaning that it leaves some soot behind.

Maybe I'm not doing it right, but I've already got a tube for BHO so I figure why not give it a go.

Dberm,

Purpl3_Haz3

On a Permanent Vakation
Dberm said:
Purpl3_Haz3 said:

I did QWISO for the second time the other day and it worked pretty damn well. First time a filter I made didnt work and the trim sat in the alcohol for too long. Even that stuff works and get you extremely medicated. It is really really simple, just find a guide and follow it to the T. I feel a whole lot safer doing qwiso vs bho too!

Talk to your local coop about getting some good trim. They may be able to hep you out! But think about it like this: using trim I am getting about 10% return. With some dank you should be looking at more yield per volume since there is much more active ingredients in the buds than in trim. I would say to make a run worth your time, you'd want about a gram of oil. You can make less than this, but I'd put the cutoff at around .5g. To make .5g I'd use about 5g of trim. For you it could be anywhere from 2.5-5g to produce .5g of oil.

And you can do multiple washes, I only do 2 but some people will do 3 and even 4. The quality gets lower with each wash.

I've talked to the manager of the dispensary I use, and they cannot sell the trim. Our state law doesn't allow it :-/ but that's not a big deal really. If I can get by using an eighth to a quarter of trimmed herb, I'll be all set. As for coops, and clubs, they are illegal as well here. We can have dispensaries and caregivers. You can grow your own, and you can even grow a certain number of your 6 plants, and designate the dispensary or caregiver to grow the others. (we have a 6 plant per patient, 2.5oz per 2 week, limit here as well)

Yeah, I re-read the qwiso guide that HashMouf made over on GC. I think I'm gonna get a quarter oz or so of trainwreck tomorrow, and do a qwiso batch. I figure with A quarter of trimmed high quality buds, I should get a very decent yield. I plan to do at least two washes, more depending on the yield of the first.

So from what your saying, I should be more than fine with a quarter of good herb, correct?

Here is the link to "Hashmouf's Official Guides to Homemade Hash"
The first guide in the link is the QWISO Hash guide. This is what I plan to follow.

EDIT*

One other question pertaining to QWISO that I haven't found a real definitive answer on...The grind; should it be coarse, fine, etc...? I have a 2 piece space case, medium sized, that I plan on using for the job, just don't know how much to grind it...

Purpl3_Haz3,

Dberm

After doing QWISO a few times and having now done BHO I'll give you my opinion on both.

QWISO
PROS:
Whole process is easy and feels less "active" than when doing BHO

Cleanup is quick and easy

Final product is easier to work with than BHO (just my initial impressions, I'm sure I'll be able to get
BHO to better consistency eventually but my QWISO always ends up as a thick dark liquid or a hard dark liquid)

Harder to do bigger quantities (totally depends on method used, I've just got small mason jars that can only do 10g at a time)

Yield can be higher / It's easier to do multiple washes that produce quantity

CONS:
Lower quality yield (my opinion here, but I don't like chlorophyll in oil. Doesn't burn off 100% and leaves residue which could be due to my technique though I did use the same guide you mentioned. Just kind of reminds me of the hash I used to get as a kid and nothing super special. Definitely gets you much much higher than just herbs, but since ISO extracts more CBD or CBN or whatever it's more of a couch lock type high)

Waiting for alcohol to evaporate sucks (takes around 20 hours to get totally dry for running 30g of trim)

BHO
PROS:
Feels much cooler to make (has a fun science feel)

Final product is more pure THC and is "full melt" meaning it burns cleanly and leaves no residue

Low startup costs (PVC piping, pyrex dish, can of butane)

High is much more heady and gives you that ringing in your ear sensation

CONS:
Process is much more dangerous

Final product is harder to handle IMO as it can't be handled by hand (on first few tries atleast)

Lower yield (but I'm considering doing QWISO after a BHO run to extract all remaining cannabinoids and increase yield)

Dberm,

Dberm

And I'm using trim so I didnt find the need to grind as I felt I would lose precious crystals. Whatever you do I recommend freezing bud for 30 min in the container you're going to be doing the extraction/shaking in after grinding.

Dberm,

stroh

errl enthusiast
if you are going to be making hash oil from nuggets, don't waste your time with qwiso, go straight to BHO. its really not as dangerous as people make it out to be, granted you have the brain capacity of a normal human being :lol: the end product is much purer, and the yield will be a lot better. you can easily fashion yourself an extractor using a simple stainless steel turkey baster, a bleached coffee filter and/or SS screen, and a hose clamp.

trust me you will thank me later, that quarter oz of beautiful trainwreck will come out of that alcohol bath looking like nasty black goop (not that you can't achieve good results with QWISO, but for your first time, its probably gonna be filled with plant matter) while if you extract it with butane, it will come out a lovely amber/golden color

https://tokecity.com/forums/showthread.php4?t=25685

there is a short tutorial for BHO making, good luck with whatever method you decide to choose.

stroh,

Dberm

I mean Butane is extremely flamable man. And it turns to gas extremely quickly. I've read that even walking inside from outside too quickly after extracting with an exposed flame indoors could result in explosion. Just be as cautious as possible.

And after finally sampling the BHO I'll definitely say that the extra caution needed in production pays off in spades. The flavor of BHO is great, versus my QWISO which tastes like plant matter (even though I washed for under 30 seconds and used MFLB-life screen doubled up).

Working with the oil definitely takes patience though, not as easy to work with as the QWISO that's for sure.

Dberm,

Dberm

Hey stroh have you ever tried mixing in keif / dry ice hash in with BHO? If so what were the results like consistency wise? Still full melt?

I'm thinking that this stuff may be the best in terms of flavor quality and ease of use.

Dberm,

stroh

errl enthusiast
butane is dangerous when not handled properly, no doubt about that, but for runs less than an oz, you really dont have much to worry about as long as you stay away from flames/possible sparks. make sure there is no liquid butane left on your pyrex before you move indoors and you are golden

dbherm, i have added kief to my extractions before though not straight up hash, but it increases the yield by a whole lot, but the end product comes out a lot darker, though still very tasty. i have heard of people getting returns of 60-70% using hash! IME consistency all comes down to your purge tech and also strain characteristics. higher heat when purging will cause your product to become more stable, i.e. wax or budder, though i myself prefer a hard taffy like consistency or shatter.

stroh,

Purpl3_Haz3

On a Permanent Vakation
dont have access to a safe place to make bho. done that before with other people though, and its fairly simple as well. I have just never done qwiso, I have done more complicated things though...My one question, is the consistency of the herb. what should it be? ground to powder, or more coarse?

I understand bho would yield much better than qwiso, but I need SOMETHING for now...

edit* Has anyone here actually made QWISO Hash with trimmed buds? (good-high quality, covered in triches) If so, how much did you grind the bud, and what kind of yield am I looking at?

Purpl3_Haz3,

stroh

errl enthusiast
Purpl3_Haz3 said:
dont have access to a safe place to make bho. done that before with other people though, and its fairly simple as well. I have just never done qwiso, I have done more complicated things though...My one question, is the consistency of the herb. what should it be? ground to powder, or more coarse?

I understand bho would yield much better than qwiso, but I need SOMETHING for now...

edit* Has anyone here actually made QWISO Hash with trimmed buds? (good-high quality, covered in triches) If so, how much did you grind the bud, and what kind of yield am I looking at?

dis guy

never grind nugs, yields will be about 3/4 of what you'd get with butane while still retaining a decently pure product.

217207_1977895724866_1167321735_2390978_5160431_n.jpg

stroh,

Purpl3_Haz3

On a Permanent Vakation
stroh said:
Purpl3_Haz3 said:

dis guy

never grind nugs, yields will be about 3/4 of what you'd get with butane while still retaining a decently pure product.

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/217207_1977895724866_1167321735_2390978_5160431_n.jpg

Alright. I'm planning on doing this tomorrow. Just to be safe about the whole deal, I'm doing a batch of abv qwiso first. I have about an oz of it laying around waiting to be used for something.

When I go to do the trainwreck qwiso, will the following procedure work?

-Freeze buds and alcohol for a couple hours prior to qwiso process
-place whole un-ground buds into jar, cover with 91% ISO, place lid on top.
-let sit for 30 seconds, shake for 30 seconds
-strain with coffee filter placed over opening of jar, secured with rubber bands.
-let the remaking ISO evaporate fully, and scrape

Would you recommend anything different from this process? I would like to do more than one wash. should I let the buds dry on their own and then grind them up before a second wash?

Sorry for hi-jacking this thread...I apologize to the OP.

Purpl3_Haz3,

weedemon

enthusiast
Lo said:
Glycerin is a suspension actually. Also worthy of note when you get glycerin to it's boiling point it produces a toxic substance called acrolein. The boiling point is 290 Celsius but acrolein starts being generated at 280 C.

I'd do homework before trying to break down the glycerin tincture myself.
thanks mom! :p

hehe seriously though thanks for that info! (not that im gonna try this but it's good to know!)

weedemon,

Dberm

Purpl3_Haz3 said:
Alright. I'm planning on doing this tomorrow. Just to be safe about the whole deal, I'm doing a batch of abv qwiso first. I have about an oz of it laying around waiting to be used for something.

When I go to do the trainwreck qwiso, will the following procedure work?

-Freeze buds and alcohol for a couple hours prior to qwiso process
-place whole un-ground buds into jar, cover with 91% ISO, place lid on top.
-let sit for 30 seconds, shake for 30 seconds
-strain with coffee filter placed over opening of jar, secured with rubber bands.
-let the remaking ISO evaporate fully, and scrape

Would you recommend anything different from this process? I would like to do more than one wash. should I let the buds dry on their own and then grind them up before a second wash?

Sorry for hi-jacking this thread...I apologize to the OP.

No worries, topic was stupid anyways haha. One piece of advice is to freeze the bud inside the jar you'll be using for the QWISO so that you dont break trichomes off on your fingers and stuff.

That was a typo with the let sit for 30 and shake for 30. That would be a minute long soak which is way too long. I did that the first time and I got a ton of chlorophyll in my product and it became so hard that it was difficult to work with. The last time I did qwiso I did a 20 second wash then a 30 second second wash and they both came out as a nice oil and I think it's about as good as QWISO is gonna get for me atleast.

Make sure no jiblets can get into your pyrex dish. If they do, get them out. They will leach a ton of chlorophyll if left in.

Don't do what you're thinking and put a coffee filter secured over the top of the jar. That's what I did the first time thinking I was all clever and it doesn't work because you need to be able to press the buds down to get all the alcohol out. THIS IS WHERE I MESSED UP THE FIRST TIME!

What I did now is took a party cup and cut the bottom out of it, then covered that with a screen (in your case coffee filter) and attatched it with rubber bands. Then I poured the mix into the cup and it acts as a strainer, but the best part is you can take another party cup and use it to press down the mix, getting all the alcohol out quickly and easily! Then just dump the contents of the cup back into your jar and repeat the process again (this should be done quickly as the longer you wait the more chlorophyll and crap will be in it!)

Dberm,

stroh

errl enthusiast
dberms got you covered haze, also about the filter over the jar, it takes FOREVER for the alcohol to seep through it if you don't use something to push it through like dberm mentioned. that would increase your soak time to well over a couple minutes, extracting much more unwanted contaminants.

stroh,
Top Bottom