Can I _____ with my Iolite?

Progress

'Socratic Existentialist, MD'
Hello everyone,

I have been hearing many questions about how to best maintain the Iolite and whether various uses could damage one's investment. Therefore, I have created this thread in hopes that it will ONLY include questions about maintenance and use of the Iolite. Hopefully this will make it easier for the Iolite representatives to find and respond to such questions.

I am starting with a list I have generated from memory. I have included numbers to make it easier for the Iolite rep to respond to so many questions--feel free to state "#'s __, ___, ___, ___, & ___ are fine to do" that way you only have to discuss those things that may damage the Iolite).

1) Is it safe to use the Iolite in a waterpipe (upside-down with an o-ring) with a crowd of people (repeated, long, intense draws, etc.)?
2) Is it OK to peel the stickers off of the Iolite w/o affecting unit or warranty?
3) Can one damage unit with dripping residue, etc. if not cleaned often (are there areas of the Iolite that are most important to keep clean)?
4) Is it safe to use the Iolite in a loose coat pocket/bag/large-coffee-mug-with-a-lid-with-2-holes/etc. (as long as it gets enough oxygen for the CC to work)?
5) Is it safe to fill the unit with butane while hot and top off the unit before it is empty?
6) Can one damage the unit by accidentally filling the Iolite with butane while it is still on?
7) Is it safe to use the Iolite in moist conditions (not wet tho)--boating, skiing, sauna, foggy night, etc?

Thank you (in advance) to everyone for trying to ONLY post direct questions about Iolite care/use in this thread ;) (and for trying to read before posting to see if your question has already been asked/answered) :tup:.

Thank you to the team at Iolite for maintaining a presence here on FC, therefore allowing communication between owners/potential owners and the makers of this amazingly portable and novel vaporizer :D.

And, thank you to everyone at FC (mods and members alike) that helps to ensure vaporizer designers/manufacturers continue to feel that this forum (and the responses they receive) benefit them greatly (actually paraphrased from the team at Iolite --->"Again no worries, this forum and responses has benifited us greatly. "). :D :tup: :D

Progress,

Progress

'Socratic Existentialist, MD'
IOL, thank you for your responses (and your hilariously perfect timing ;) ).

P - 1) Is it safe to use the Iolite in a waterpipe (upside-down with an o-ring) with a crowd of people (repeated, long, intense draws, etc.)?
IOL - I'm not sure what you are talking about here. Can you provide more detail or even quick sketch or picture.
This picture shows the Iolite used with a waterpipe (http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/1791/img6157.jpg). I was talking about adding a large o-ring to the mouthpiece itself and turning the unit upside-down instead of using tubing, but... This use increases the power/duration of the user's draw. This extra stress on the unit can be increased when passed from person to person (to be repeated). Could this degree of stress from repeated, long, intense inhalations hurt the unit in any way?

IOL - The most important area to keep clean would be the fins on the side of the unit and the immediate area around the exhaust port.
What type of maintenance is best to keep the area inside of the fins clean (compressed air, etc.)? Also, what would be the best way to try to remedy if you suspect dust/water(moisture) had gotten into/around the fin area clean the area?

IOL - If the iolite was in such a confined space, without enough oxygen it may cool down to such an extent that the catalytic reaction may not reengage and then only pure butane will come out the exhaust
I just wanted to make sure I am clear about what you are saying. The catalytic converter would stop producing heat and continue to release butane if it did not get enough oxygen. However, it wont hurt the unit, and will restart when the user clicks the piezo. Right? Almost?

Thank you again for your continued responses to inquiries of people on FC :tup:! Please keep us posted on any new and exciting units or versions that come out :D!

PS: The biggest problem that I have noticed with the waterpipe set-up is that the mouthpiece gets really hot/soft without the operator realizing until it is removed from the downstem of the water pipe. This potential to break mouth pieces could be solved (IMO) by creating a metal-lined, thermoprotective-plastic-coated mouthpiece with metal threads (no need to respond...just an idea).

Edit: Any tips?...to keep from getting sticky lips? :/ :lol:

Progress,

mvapes

Scratchin' Glass!
Accessory Maker
Hey guys, I need some help. I dropped my Iolite in the toilet....yes, yes, I owe it all to my friend super skunk. Regardless, it was totally submerged. I purged it, refilled it, and let it dry for about 12 hours now and although I see a spark I've yet to get her lit.

Anyone have advice?

mvapes,

Kenny Powers

Haha I forgot about that photo I took with the iO and the stemless, it was funny to come across it during a google search as I was looking for a better solution. :ko:

Edit - i will post my next iolite water pipe experiment here!

Kenny Powers,
Top Bottom