Can anyone help me figure out what I’m doing wrong making this dual pid

bkkbob

Obsessive Collector
I need help can anyone help me figure out what is wrong with this setup I’m trying to make dual PIDs in pelican cases but when I used ssr Iiy heats to unlimited highs doesn’t stop at temp no ssr doesn’t heat I can’t figure this out

Pics of the wiring. Thanks so much in advance

bkkbob,
Reactions: Cheebsy

Cheebsy

Microbe minion
I think it's one of two things, it's pretty hard to see from the pictures.

Either it's the thermocouple not reading a temp, or it's not wired correctly. Looking at the second pic it doesn't look like anything is connected to the SSR. The SSR is the output so should have the heater connected to it. Maybe you've accidently bypassed the controller completely?

bkkbob

Obsessive Collector
For SSR dont i need a seperate SSR controller. I am just using the relay heat now not SSR, but I'm not really sure what I'm doing.

bkkbob,

badbee

The SSR outputs are to feed a solid state relay which turns an external heating device on or off. In this mode it's a logical on/off for heaters that have a separate driving power source. For a typical vaping scenario you wouldn't use those connections and need all five of the connections on the right side hooked up. The temperature sensor has to be attached and compatible with the PID unit.

Hooking the SSR output up to a heating coil could be damaging to the unit.

badbee,

bkkbob

Obsessive Collector
So 1 & 2 are a/c in correct 9 & 10 go to temp control. 6 & 7 are currently wired to something, and the pinout appears to be the same as DC & CH's when I check the wires. I don't understand which # would be equivalent to the Heat on a DC pid?

Thanks much

bkkbob,

Cheebsy

Microbe minion
Hmmm, you might be right about needing an external SSR, I was assuming the relay was onboard. The sticker is obscured but it doesn't look like a normal PID as it looks like it only takes 220v rather than being international. Can you link the data sheet for it?

Cheebsy,

bkkbob

Obsessive Collector
Yes sir, I am in Thailand BTW. So, I need only 220, but upon reading more, CH says SSR is not good for your coils.

Ill post the manual in like 45 min. Thank you so much for your help!!

Best

S

bkkbob,

dtrdrk

Some of those controllers have the ssr built in. So you want to check the manual of your pid. Regarding the SSR not being good for the coils i dont understand what else one would use…. Did CH elaborate on that? There are SSR relays that only open on AC zero crossing. Be careful - this voltage can easily kill you!
Make sure that the ground pin of your iec inlet is connected to the metal housing of your pid - in case you use a metal housing. Isolate all AC lines with shrink tubing.

dtrdrk,

Hippie

I've only used the XMT 7200 and not wired a PID like that before
But
Some of them need the + and - for the thermocouple to be right so you may need to swap the connections for the thermocouple around

Is this the correct manual?

Which I think would mean ....
The heater connects to 8 and 10
and the thermocouple connects to 9 and 10
but I have killed a 7100 chip, after ordering the wrong chip and wiring it up wrong, so I'm not certain

Hippie,

bkkbob

Obsessive Collector
Switching the ports didn't work. That's not the manual, but it's 4am, and my girlfriend is extremely pissed at me :) I'll post it in the morning.

Thanks so much for your help,

S

bkkbob,
Top Bottom