Buttering your wood? ;)

MinnBobber

Since there are so many wood experts here, I have a question.
I'm buttering the wood on a set of kitchen knives which were really dry, raw wood.
They were many years old and had some use.

Butter made them all better :)
However, one knife came out with great natural grain on the left handle and
very dark coloration on the right side. I'm guessing the right side absorbed all that
hand grease/grime over time and it's "dirty wood".

Now that it is buttered, could I do something like lightly sand the right handle to
clean it and then butter again? If so, what grit would be best? Or what would work?

Thanks for any woody tips.... ;)

MinnBobber,

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
Mineral oil is used a lot for cutting boards. I'd use that.

macbill,

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
i found this recipe for conditioning wood. This would work well for wood vaporizers too!
This simple product puts life back into the wood and moisturizes it, keeping it from drying out and cracking.

Ingredients:

• Coconut oil
  • Beeswax pellets
To prepare, measure out a 1/4 cup or so of beeswax pellets and 3/4 cup or so of coconut oil and put them in a glass jar. A mason jar is perfect for this. And you should know, I usually eyeball this recipe like I do most everything in the kitchen which is why baking and I aren’t the best of friends. I prefer beeswax pellets to buying a block of beeswax because they melt much faster and are easier to work with. If you are wanting to breaking off bits from a big, hard block go for it! I opt out of this one and use the pellets. For the next step, set the glass mason jar in a pot, say your dutch oven, and fill it with several inches of water. Let the water simmer (avoid boiling) and as it does it will melt the beeswax and coconut oil together into a beautiful, golden, buttery concoction. Those large mouthed 1/4 - 1/2 cup mason jar size would work well.

Last edited:

Boden

Aspie polymath
i found this recipe for conditioning wood. This would work well for wood vaporizers too!
This simple product puts life back into the wood and moisturizes it, keeping it from drying out and cracking.

Ingredients:

• Coconut oil
  • Beeswax pellets
To prepare, measure out a 1/4 cup or so of beeswax pellets and 3/4 cup or so of coconut oil and put them in a glass jar. A mason jar is perfect for this. And you should know, I usually eyeball this recipe like I do most everything in the kitchen which is why baking and I aren’t the best of friends. I prefer beeswax pellets to buying a block of beeswax because they melt much faster and are easier to work with. If you are wanting to breaking off bits from a big, hard block go for it! I opt out of this one and use the pellets. For the next step, set the glass mason jar in a pot, say your dutch oven, and fill it with several inches of water. Let the water simmer (avoid boiling) and as it does it will melt the beeswax and coconut oil together into a beautiful, golden, buttery concoction. Those large mouthed 1/4 - 1/2 cup mason jar size would work well.
I use a similar mix of sunflower oil and beeswax.

cosimo

So, not to start a new thread, I'll bump this one a back up with a question: I want to make my own butter for my African Mahoganny Woodscents log vape, but all the white beeswax I find indicates it is "refined" with paraffin (50 wax/50 par). Have a ton of coconut oil... just gotta figure out the beeswax part.
How bad would it be to use this knd of wax? Or should I go with yellow beeswax instead? Thanks

cosimo,
Top Bottom