Butane problem in Vaporstar?

stew

Hi - I've tried a search on this issue but haven't found a complete answer.

I was really close to ordering a vaporstar, but then I came across a review that says that it draws alot of un-burnt butane into the bong, creating a bad taste and any of the bad effects inhaling butane has...

Is this review exaggerating or is this a real problem?

Thanks,

Stew

stew,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
I think it all boils down to what kind of lighter you are using. I use a jet flame... next to no butane taste if any at all... if you get one of the cheap gas station lighters you will def taste butane.
btw This question belongs in either Ask FC section or in the vaporstar thread.

DevoTheStrange,

max

Out to lunch
it draws alot of un-burnt butane into the bong
How is butane going to escape a flame intact? Butane is designed to burn, and the hottest part of the flame is the blue part right where it exits out of the nozzle. It's broken down into hydrogen (which burns instantly and completely) and carbon. With a regular lighter, some carbon is incompletely burned (soot). With a torch lighter, even the carbon gets completely burned. But with either kind of lighter, as long as you have a flame, the butane isn't going to escape it.

if you get one of the cheap gas station lighters you will def taste butane
Nope. It's the carbon.

max,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
carbon is not dangerous... we are carbon based life forms... carbon monoxide is dangerous, but carbon on its own is not.

DevoTheStrange,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
Wikipedia said:
Soot is in the general category of airborne particulate matter, and as such is considered hazardous to the lungs and general health when the particles are less than five micrometres in diameter, as such particles are not filtered out by the upper respiratory tract.[citation needed] Smoke from diesel engines, while composed mostly of carbon soot, is considered especially dangerous owing to both its particulate size and the many other chemical compounds present.[citation needed]
so the danger is (at least) in the particle size ... so the question is how large are the butane soot particles compared to diesel soot?

(i give up on this question ... too much to read, too little time)

Hippie Dickie,

max

Out to lunch
DevoTheStrange said:
carbon is not dangerous... we are carbon based life forms... carbon monoxide is dangerous, but carbon on its own is not.
Soot is partially burned carbon. Word it however you want, but a regular lighter produces soot, which is not good to inhale. It takes the higher temp of a torch lighter to completely burn all the soot. This is easily proven. A bic (or whatever) will leave soot. A torch will burn it off.

max,
Top Bottom