Boveda 58 vs 62

stinkytofus

Whats the best one for long term storage ? Im hearing 58 from some people and 62 from others

stinkytofus,
Reactions: steama

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
I like 62's for curing dried cannabis, 62's with oxy absorbers to slow down the curing (or caregiver buds), 62's and 65's for rosin buds, and I like vaporizing cannabis at 62 RH as well. It's a utility RH for my purposes, and I'm too cheap to buy more than a couple different types.

I use the oxy absorbers to determine the stage of storage. If the buds are fresh I want the oxygen in the jars to help with the cure, if they're already cured I want to stop them (or not, depending on preference, I dont care much for amber trichs) Easy enough to drop them in based on the age of the material, and they cost pennies.

I've heard that the curing process stops somewhere around 40% RH, so no matter what once the buds reach that RH even adding back moisture to the buds will do nothing to the cure effect, which is why a lot of cannabis that has been dried improperly will always smell like grass even when rehydrated.

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
I hear ya @steama , just curious if you were measuring the actual RH. I cure quarter pounds at a time in x-large cvaults with 62% bovedas AND caliber IV hygrometers. The curing process is something I feel like I've nearly mastered. I've seen a guy on youtube put fresh buds in a container with bovedas and got mold. I know that it can happen, but it doesn't happen with me. When a bud is just dried, it is not 62% RH, the stem will snap before then. It's probably closer to 70% RH. That's too high for proper storage. The jars have to be burped, in the beginning, quite often, and the hygrometer needs to be monitored, if the RH is hovering too close to 70% RH, the jars have to be burped, bovedas or not. A new boveda will not pull in moisture at the rate of one that's been drained for a few weeks.

Anyhow, that's my experience. I dont think it's so much about bovedas as it is about knowing what the actual RH is. When you get into the 60's your riding a fine line, but IME mold is completely avoidable.

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
Respect @steama, all approaches work, I just hate hearing about mold. :peace:

It is somewhat of a luxary in Colorado, and a bitch, we get no rain here. We are suffering with our animal and plant friends. Places such as Florida and Minnesota could be problematic especially during the wet season. Mold has just as much to do with your living environment outside the jars as much as inside.

Please take care of all your buds, they deserve our upmost respect! :2c:

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
You've mentioned the mold a number of times and you never said if you use a hygrometer. You seem to be blaming the bovedas, and that is fine, but I think you're blaming the wrong thing.

https://www.sfgate.com/homeandgarden/article/Anatomy-of-mold-2813749.php

Mold is the name for the more than 100,000 species of filamentous or "furry" fungus, of which approximately three dozen can cause human illness.

Simple organisms with simple needs, molds have the distinction in the plant world of requiring no light to flourish. The key to life for mold is moisture. A wet environment (relative humidity exceeding 70 percent) activates the billions of spores, or microscopic seeds, that a growth the size of a home infestation can produce daily. Mold also grows best in warm temperatures -- 77 to 86 degrees Fahrenheit.

I've heard of you and others using vegetables to rehydrate your cannabis. Isin't that less sterile than a boveda? The way you keep repeating the bovedas being the culprit means the RH exceeded 70 to create the mold. So the boveda was faulty or your hygrometers (if any) weren't calibrated correctly.

psychonaut,
Reactions: steama

Skunkport

You had problems with Boveda because you were using them for curing.

They're not for curing. They are for storage.

Your herb should be finished curing and settled when you put them boveda in, then you can stick it away somewhere and the pack will keep it about right. They can't take out or put in huge amounts of moisture, they're only capable of small adjustments.

The right pack depends on your environment and preferences. For the UK, 58% (if you can actually find any) because it's generally damper here (Manchester anyway) and drier bud burns better in the damper air.

Skunkport,
Top Bottom