Black History Month discussion/poll

Do you think black history month is racist because it celebrates only black heritage?

• yes

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • no

Votes: 3 75.0%

• Total voters

thesoloman

1) Do you view giving one month to a race as their "history month" as an act of division among races, or a unifying time learn about that races historical past? or post your feelings in this issue below?
2) Do you consider black history month to be racist on the basis that it is singling out and celebrating only black heritage?
3) If it were another race, lets say "white history month" how do you think people would react?
here's a link to the article i read this morning that instigated me making this post.
http://deadspin.com/5986019/espn-ur...-month-with-predictable-results?post=57664225

thesoloman,

Curiousone

1). The need for black history month came about because of the exclustion Blacks in American History. If black american history was included as American History and the stories were told honestly, there would be no need for separation.

2). How could black history month be racist when it was only done as a way to appease blacks for hundreds of years of destroying their history and ignoring their contribution to this country. Is it racist that before black history month, there was little to no discussion of what blacks have contributed to the story of the US? Is it racist that blacks were viewed as property and so their experiences unimportant?

3). People are so quick to forget that other groups, such as Irish, Chinese, etc came to this country by choice. They faced discrimination, but they had their history. It was not illegal for them to speak their own language. They were not forced to lose knowledge of their homeland. They were able to keep that knowledge and assimilate. Blacks were stripped of their past and refused the ability to actively participate in the society they helped build. This was not widely acknowledged until the Civil Rights movement and even still we all know that REAL racism is alive and well today. So, there is no point to "white history" month. All of American history is dominated by white history. Perhaps a "woman's history" might be appropiate though.

My response is based on the idea that I would prefer there not be a need for Black HIstory month, but so much of the AMerican story has been ignored or forgotten because those capable of filling in some of the blanks weren't allowed to for generations. To move past a need for "Black History Month" or Affirmative Action for that matter, the hearts of men and women in this country must change. Until then, yes there is still a need. Until men and women are seen as men and women...and all history is seen as "our" history, there will be a need...

Top Bottom