Better Cannabudder?

Nuphile

Non-Smoker
I've been high for awhile today and thinking about shit; I hope this makes sense:

I have been using the water/butter method to make cannabudder since I started cooking with cannabis. This method is great for two main reasons: The butter never burns and the water filters out mostly everything besides the trichomes.
The problem with this method is the butter is now free of water. Most cooks are used to using butter in its natural state and most recipes are geared towards this. Taking the water out of the butter changes its physical properties quite a bit.

So, my idea is:
Simmer the cannabis in water for a bit. I don't know for how long, but water is a solvent. It seems to me that the water would easily wash out the chlorophyll, but leave the trichomes. Or, maybe just soak the cannabis in water. it is possible that simmering it would start to wash the trichomes out as well; I really don't know for sure.
But then, it seems you could simmer the cannabis in butter, in a double boiler, and retain all the properties of the butter, except for the addition of trichomes; while having no nasty chlorophyll flavors.

Does this seem like a viable method? I would love some feedback.

Nuphile,

Nuphile

Non-Smoker
I appreciate all the views. I don't know if no one responded because they did not understand what I was getting at or if it just didn't make sense to people.
Either way, after more thought, I don't think this method would work because the butter would break. Maybe the water method is truly the only way.

*Edited to correct typos.

Nuphile,
I can't speak to the pro's and con's of the water method, but if you are worried about the loss of water from the butter then I'd suggest clarifying some butter and seeing what portion is water vs butter solids vs butter fat.

If you do this with a stick of butter then when you go to put the butter into your recipe you can add water accordingly. But to be honest, generally speaking, the amount of water loss is not going to affect the recipe too much. Baking is generally considered a science in that recipes often need to be precise, but the water/butter portion of the recipe shouldn't matter near as much as the other ingredients such as baking powder, etc.

The water/butter ratio will affect the chemical reactions needed in many recipes much less then having the baking powder/salt/sugar or what have you correct to the recipe. Course you could be using a cheap butter that has a higher ratio of water to butter fat or something so your mileage may vary.

quest for herb,

Nuphile

Non-Smoker
Welcome to FC and thanks for the feedback!
You make some very interesting points. I have been using Challenge unsalted butter, which is probably middle of the road. I haven't necessarily experienced any issues with the loss of water in my recipes, I just figured maybe there was a better way. I may just try and use European butter, which has less water than 'regular' butter.
Maybe if I am bored, I will clarify the butter and post my finds.

Nuphile,
I'm new to cooking with it myself but so far have simply cooked it directly in the butter and let everything separate on its own during the cooling process. I did begin to clarify the butter before use one of the times I used it but decided that was an additional unnecessary step and let my natural born laziness take over :lol:

I remember reading reasons for using water in the process a bit back, but honestly can't remember what it was for other then cutting down on smells and potentially leaching out water soluble pesticides etc?

quest for herb,

Nuphile

Non-Smoker
Well, as stated in my first post, the water also leeches out chlorophyll and anything else that would prefer to bond to water, rather than fat. Trichomes bond very well to fat, so the water method works well, and results in a cleaner taste, IMO. The stuff that is left in the water actually smells bad, and the water turns brown.

However, using your method, do you just use the clarified butter in your recipes? Does the chlorophyll leech into one of the other layers?

Nuphile,
Nuphile said:
Well, as stated in my first post, the water also leeches out chlorophyll and anything else that would prefer to bond to water, rather than fat. Trichomes bond very well to fat, so the water method works well, and results in a cleaner taste, IMO. The stuff that is left in the water actually smells bad, and the water turns brown.

However, using your method, do you just use the clarified butter in your recipes? Does the chlorophyll leech into one of the other layers?

Yeah I missed that about the chlorophyll and just read it elsewhere. Returned to correct myself too late, lol.

As far as the color, yep it's there in the clarified butter which I don't mind, but now that I see the info on the chlorophyll adding a bad taste I may give the water method a try next time I get enough. May not be necessary in brownies, but other less flavorful stuff...may as well enjoy the flavor of the edibles.

quest for herb,
high nuphile!? I always use ghee to make cannabutter, its clarified butter in a tin. i find it makes a better tasting end product. after straining then setting and washing at least 3 times there is only the faintest herbal smell and fairly neutral taste. The latest batch of banana bread cupcakes i made may look green but they def don't taste it! Eta: if you are concerned about the consistency for certain recipes you could add some double cream to softened cannabutter to get that texture

thevapedcrusader,

Nuphile

Non-Smoker
thevapedcrusader said:
high nuphile!? I always use ghee to make cannabutter, its clarified butter in a tin. i find it makes a better tasting end product. after straining then setting and washing at least 3 times there is only the faintest herbal smell and fairly neutral taste. The latest batch of banana bread cupcakes i made may look green but they def don't taste it!

Cool. Do you use the water method with this?

Nuphile,

Nuphile

Non-Smoker
WatTyler,
Thanks for the links. This is kinda what I was thinking, I just didn't know the best way. I think that, as some members have surmised in these posts, that eventually, the water will leech out the trichomes as well. But, it probably doesn't happen immediately. I usually just mix my abv with trim to make butter; I have never done it with abv alone.
I appreciate all the input on this matter, but overall, I think the water method is just the best way to do it. It seems like an easy way to isolate the trichomes without having a nasty taste.

Quest for Herb,
I appreciate the insight about the negligible amount of water loss and that it shouldn't really affect the recipes.

Nuphile,
high again! Yeah heaps of filtered water so the butter can't burn and you can stir the brew easily. After straining and letting the butter set pour off the putrid water add fresh water melt and agitate, set and repeat. Basically water curing your butter after capturing maximum trichs and melted bits of trichs rather than watercuring your abv and losing those actives in the wash. Have fun.

thevapedcrusader,

Tuck

That's how I do my butter. It's just works so well with how easy the butter and the water separate. And you like you both have said, you don't have to worry about temps, since the boiling water will maintain 212F till the water is gone. I usually only do one additional wash.

I just don't know if it's worth it to watercure ABV, if you are also using the butter & water method. It just seems like an extraneous step to me with very little payoff. So I've never bothered to try it. I think herbgirl has experimented with watercuring and edibles. Maybe she'll chime in.

One thing I have experimented with is throwing in a half a cup of everclear or vodka to act as another solvent and make sure I get all the active goodies. I usually go 2-3 hours, and that's plenty of time for the alcohol to get cooked off. I'm just not sure that I have noticed a discernible difference and have stopped doing this.

Tuck,
Top Bottom