Best recycler options/do they improve over conventional water pieces?

gordontreeman

Everythings coming up Milhouse!
Hey all,

I've mostly tamed my VAS so I'm a rather infrequent poster around here these days (still always tempted, but the vapes I've got keep me pretty happy for the most part). However, I would like to supplement my glass and water cooling collection. I'm interested in something that makes for comfortable vapor but still maximizes flavor. Taking a page from concentrates I see a lot of people say that recyclers do this better than more conventional water pipes.

I wanted to crowdsource opinions on whether this is true, and if it is whether the recycler type matters? I was thinking of trying to contact Biao T to get a custom RBR clone: they look very neat in action, and I think doing colored/fumed glass and some opals can still be done without breaking the bank, so ideally its something I can keep at home and not break! Just curious if there are designs/percs/whatever that lend themselves to better preserving flavor.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
I think you have the right idea, recyclers are very interesting and you really need to try one for yourself to experience, best with dabbing and long full draw, yeah the best ones have a good balance of flavor and diffusion like the one I had been suggesting for flowers, though it is no longer available (Hoping to have one custom made in the future that can be available) Anyway so I think going for the RBR from Biao is a solid option, should be good for herbs and dabs, it's fun to get it with all the colors you like, I am waiting for discount ones on Instagram, missed a opaque white and blue one that I'm still bummed about lol I have a different smaller RBR, that uses circ perc instead of a matrix, it works well, smaller means more flavor less cooling, I suppose? The other standard I think would be a fountain to klein type recycler or incycler, similar to the one I like that is no longer available, there are a lot of different versions of these! Good luck bud

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
I do not have a RBR, but have been wanting a real one for some time...

I have others, several of the TAG offerings, and I do favor and use cyclers more than traditional pieces.
My favorites provide minimal diffusion on the percs (in-line, or something with similarly large holes), and allow the cycling to legwork of cooling vapor.

In general, cyclers are very effective at cooling- this is why they also translate well and are so widely used in smaller sizes than one might expect.

gordontreeman

Yeah, the real RBR looks nice but its a little too much for me to want to spend on glass. I don't necessarily think of them as consumables, but I've certainly broken my fair share. The biao knock off functionality looks really neat in videos I've seen, and on his instagram he still does some pretty cool styles with them. Just curious if e.g. kleins vs double uptakes vs whatever are known for better preserving flavor or cooling in the same way that we are talking about inline percs vs something like a fritted disc.

ETA: I have actually tried a very small one @Shit Snacks, but just one of the MJA mini rigs. It is quite nice for what it is, but the size is too small to really work with any of my vapes save a dyna. To @FlyingLow 's point, the cooling is much better than I would have expected for its size! I'd like something a little larger to be able to see the action better and to use with my Woodscents and P80, though. I do also find myself looking at J hooks for the P80 again, though. Might be time to spring for something from OGB.

Last edited:

Shit Snacks

Yeah, the real RBR looks nice but its a little too much for me to want to spend on glass. I don't necessarily think of them as consumables, but I've certainly broken my fair share. The biao knock off functionality looks really neat in videos I've seen, and on his instagram he still does some pretty cool styles with them. Just curious if e.g. kleins vs double uptakes vs whatever are known for better preserving flavor or cooling in the same way that we are talking about inline percs vs something like a fritted disc.

ETA: I have actually tried a very small one @Shit Snacks, but just one of the MJA mini rigs. It is quite nice for what it is, but the size is too small to really work with any of my vapes save a dyna. To @FlyingLow 's point, the cooling is much better than I would have expected for its size! I'd like something a little larger to be able to see the action better and to use with my Woodscents and P80, though. I do also find myself looking at J hooks for the P80 again, though. Might be time to spring for something from OGB.

Have you seen the new Chinese hooks I posted in those threads? They're taking some OGB style cues now! And yeah I feel you dude, I do think the Biao RBR is going to be a great option functionally, so go for it with the custom color you like :tup:This is the one I have, it is great, but it is on the smaller side like you are saying, so I think you want the larger Biao style... DHgate sale coupons just started again too btw, This is the last one I have my eye on to try, the seed of life (sol) perc style klein incycler (full incycler for uptake and downtake), curious to try, since the one I have (that is slitted fountain perc to outer uptake with non funnel shape klein and incycler downtake) is awesome for flavor and diffusion herbal vaping with tetra stem and log styles... This other style that is common to see is fountain to klein incycler with outer downtake instead, obviously curious to try that someday as well lol but I think it makes more sense with my style to have the outer tube before the uptake instead of the downtake? But yeah I want to try the incycler klein bc maybe it is better functionally than I think??

Alternatively I have this (blue one too) and this inline to quad pillar, they can be good for flavor and cooling with these vapes too, if you're into their style it would make a fine choice, but I think the RBR may function nicer for what you want and be nicer all around...

I think the dual uptake, floating klein recycler style, are better for dabbing, some single uptake as well, though they can work well for herbs too like the above, I have a few different ones of those though I think the others I'm mentioning are better for herbal use instead of just bang or dabbing like I said :2c:

gordontreeman

Thanks @Shit Snacks, some good options/styles to look into. Those headier options look kind of neat. I guess that’s not biao’s dhgate storefront. Are those just knock offs (of a knock off, so knock off ception I guess) in a smaller size? I thought the rbr was meant to be ~6-7” in height if you know how big those are for comparison?

@davesmith i usually hear the opposite re: recyclers vs more conventional pieces for vaping. Can I ask why you prefer more conventional pieces? Is it just a matter of taking a larger rip, or something about the cooling efficiency and flavor? I don’t have a very high tolerance so I don’t need to whitewall a giant 18” bong too often, so just curious.

Shit Snacks

Thanks @Shit Snacks, some good options/styles to look into. Those headier options look kind of neat. I guess that’s not biao’s dhgate storefront. Are those just knock offs (of a knock off, so knock off ception I guess) in a smaller size? I thought the rbr was meant to be ~6-7” in height if you know how big those are for comparison?

Yeah I was very taken with the heady stuff and the colors, but it's not always the most functional depending on the piece... Because those usually cost more money when they're true heady made.

Biao does knockoff RBR yes (since the originals are created by bear mountain studios) that are much smaller than the originals, his DHgate stores are bongt and MLglass, they both have different color and clear RBR available to buy or you can message him on Instagram to customize for not that much money... He also has two different sizes, he makes the larger nearly 8-in tall size and also the smaller nearly 7-in tall size.

The one I bought from FashionGlass (who also have LLglass storefront and an Instagram account, customs are more expensive though) is the smaller size just under 7 inches and you see the shape of the bell recycler funnel is different, it also does not use a matrix perc instead it has a plain circ perc which is nice given the size, better flavor retention... They also have different mouthpiece style, general build style different, different colors and such available, mine was on sale and I got it for just over $70 in the end (I wanted the blue and clear with the etched glass main chamber but the accidentally sent without the etching so I got some money back afterwards)

So yeah the true RBR are actually bigger, the more expensive US made ones, however all of the China ones are small, Biao regular size are not even that big as I said, and they make both sizes... There are a lot of other sellers, that make RBR from China, in fact there are many who do actually knock off Biao directly trying to clone his work, sometimes very successfully and sometimes very poorly! FashionGlass' RBR feels more like their own original design, their own spin on the RBR, slightly different version, not really a knockoff of Biao RBR in my opinion having researched quite a bit?

@davesmith i usually hear the opposite re: recyclers vs more conventional pieces for vaping. Can I ask why you prefer more conventional pieces? Is it just a matter of taking a larger rip, or something about the cooling efficiency and flavor? I don’t have a very high tolerance so I don’t need to whitewall a giant 18” bong too often, so just curious.

It really depends on the piece and the vapes, I actually did not enjoy dabbing with the RBR, I was using it that way for a bit and it was fine and could get some nice function and flavor shine through which I normally don't care about when dabbing even though I do low temp typically, it became much more enjoyable when I started using it with herbal vapes, but it does depend on the vapes too... Also depends on the size and design of the recycler, larger ones tend to be better for herbs, smaller better for dabs, flavor retention and kind of just the function of the vaporization, is why recyclers work better for dabbing, but again depending on the vape and all the factors recyclers can be very good for dry herb vaping as well (in the same way that dry herb vaping can be much like dabbing really)

Shit Snacks,
Reactions: rschlade

davesmith

Glass Blower

Surprised you see people preferring recyclers for vaping but so much of it is subjective. Recyclers are good at minimising the air space in a rig. I find with vaping I want more air space. Personally I like a little 2 hole basic banger hanger for dabbing and a larger matrix perc or something for vaping.

Shit Snacks

Yeah the simple few hole perc are best for dabbing though they are often too restrictive for flower vapes, I find the matrix is too much diffusion and I don't like the way it pulls, but something like a showerhead, slitted fountain, or inline perc have a nice smooth pull with good balance of flavor and diffusion typically (dabbing with those is a different type of experience even if recycler)

gordontreeman

Surprised you see people preferring recyclers for vaping but so much of it is subjective. Recyclers are good at minimising the air space in a rig. I find with vaping I want more air space. Personally I like a little 2 hole basic banger hanger for dabbing and a larger matrix perc or something for vaping.
Yeah strangely I guess these days I'm seeing both. About a year ago when I was first became active on FC folks seemed to be all over recyclers. I think the idea was that the smaller water volume and constant recirculation prevented flavor loss while still providing sufficient cooling for the vapor. I saw people sell it on the idea that it was essentially like dabbing flower with the right vapes. These days I am seeing more people talk about larger air spaces. I'm not sure if that is to take massive rips--you don't really white wall recyclers right, you just kind of keep pulling through until you've had enough--or due to the belief that it cools the vapor more effectively? I was trying to reason about the latter point some, but I'm not really coming up with anything in the ideal gas law (which is probably a bit of an oversimplification here) PV = nRT that implies the the temp will go down, it seems like its just a product of the negative pressure of someone inhaling on a glass piece?

I think I still want to try an RBR, but I'll have to bear this in mind. I like the look of his recycler bongs and inline bongs as well, which might serve the best of both worlds. Have any of you had luck contacting him on insta for custom work? I sent him a couple of messages a few days ago but never heard back. Maybe that is par for the course. Just curious as he seems to always suggest that PMs are welcome in his instagram photos.

Shit Snacks

I think I still want to try an RBR, but I'll have to bear this in mind. I like the look of his recycler bongs and inline bongs as well, which might serve the best of both worlds. Have any of you had luck contacting him on insta for custom work? I sent him a couple of messages a few days ago but never heard back. Maybe that is par for the course. Just curious as he seems to always suggest that PMs are welcome in his instagram photos

You can still white wall a recycler, it just depends on the design and the vape etc sometimes the visibility is not clear etc... Yeah I was always curious about the RBR but I don't know that it's necessarily better than other klein recyclers? I think his recycler bongs are in another world really, I think the large bent neck ones look cool and I am curious to try, I would hate the straight neck ones... I don't know really they look like too much volume to me, I don't think I could handle it lol And yes just keep messaging him and commenting on a post to tell him you messaged, he will reply eventually, sometimes gets distracted and you don't see message requests in Instagram

Hey Nineteen

I got a 13" recycler today and also have an 8" recycler. Both were made for flower. I prefer using my vapes through the recyclers compared to bongs and water pipes. Recyclers get me higher too.

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
For those shopping, I definitely tend to favor percs with MINIMAL diffusion. Let the cycling action do the cooling, and maintain your flavor. Go with simple percs, inline or others, and avoid anything restrictive or with much diffusion.

This is one of those things that BearMountain did right and Baio bastardized with knockoffs and overcomplicated matrix percs... they look okay but meh, it is not really RBR

EarthworldTim

I had ordered a biao rbr earlier this year for dabbing but I only used it a couple times and then stopped dabbing pretty much. Earlier this week I took it out to use with the taroma lite instead of mega globe w/ whip and wow it's so much better. Far less casual than the whip but I can get one massive rip that's very tasty and cool rather than milking the globe and having to clear with a second hit.

coolbreeze

I had ordered a biao rbr earlier this year for dabbing but I only used it a couple times and then stopped dabbing pretty much. Earlier this week I took it out to use with the taroma lite instead of mega globe w/ whip and wow it's so much better. Far less casual than the whip but I can get one massive rip that's very tasty and cool rather than milking the globe and having to clear with a second hit.
I have one on the way (allegedly the 3.0) which I hope is just a little bigger than my Calibear. They're so nice for open torch vapes (Piro), ball vapes (B0, Z8), and whipped vapes (DBV, Element Table vape). I wish the Bear Mtn ones were more available, I'd like to try one some day.

pxl_jockey

Just a dude
For flower and smaller dabs, I much prefer low-diffusion and it keeps me from buying so many pieces that have tubes moving water everywhere. So I only have one recycler and it’s a Bear Mountain RBR. Not fancy colours like th3ydidit is doing so much of now, mine is just a clear 14mm with pomegranate accents. But especially on a recycler, I want to see its excellent function- that’s kinda the point for me.

I got it a few years ago now and haven’t regretted it, it’s amazing and even the clear RBRs seem to consistently go up in value $50-100 year over year. I have no idea how much new ones are going for. But I honestly haven’t seen any Bear Mountain drops in the usual shops lately, I think he’s only been selling through himself doing small batch drops. They’re all full colour and absolutely beautiful and a 14mm is probably well out of my budget’s comfort zone now, so I’ll be happy with the one I managed to scoop. :haw: There is an RBR resale group on Instagram tho.

Shit Snacks

I much prefer low-diffusion and it keeps me from buying so many pieces that have tubes moving water everywhere

Just wanted to point out, having tubes moving water, is not diffusion. That's why people like recyclers so much, you get extra cooling water conditioning the vapor throughout, without adding diffusion that would lead to fizzy flavor loss... So diffusion comes from the percs still not the tubes (unless perhaps you're talking about one of those crazy klein recyclers that has several uptake tubes, I guess that would count as diffusion with a tube and always looks like a silly way to dab and terrible to clean lol)

pxl_jockey

Just a dude
Oh no, you’re absolutely correct and I wasn’t very clear. I probably shouldn’t be contributing here right now, typing one-handed and doped up on morphine. But yeah, that’s exactly the appeal of the recycler and the RBR is excellent. I guess I see lots of double intake/uptake recyclers with tubes and that’s what I meant. And combined with the diffusion, they’re absolutely the best way to leave half your dab in your glass. Imo of course.

EDIT: also, in my defence, a 220V coil from @710Coils arrived yesterday. Which means today has been first encounters with the Z8 :science: and holy sheepshit, it is next-level!
Next level at making me stupid :razz:

Last edited:

Shit Snacks

Oh no, you’re absolutely correct and I wasn’t very clear. I probably shouldn’t be contributing here right now, typing one-handed and doped up on morphine. But yeah, that’s exactly the appeal of the recycler and the RBR is excellent. I guess I see lots of double intake/uptake recyclers with tubes and that’s what I meant. And combined with the diffusion, they’re absolutely the best way to leave half your dab in your glass. Imo of course.

All good brother, you are still remarkably coherent, hope recovery going well... Yeah I agree, and I really only like single uptake recyclers myself though I have one big dual

coolbreeze

But especially on a recycler, I want to see its excellent function- that’s kinda the point for me.
Couldn't agree more. It's just for most people who are not primarily dabbing but want to try one out, it's useful to have functioning, affordable ones readily available, even if the function's inferior to the top of the line. My first didn't function very well with a lot of things but the Calibear is considerably better. Having it lets me evaluate whether or not a more expensive one would be justified.

I'd happily join a waitlist for a no-frills Bear Mtn, or look at another higher-end one with excellent function and a reasonable price.

Last edited:
Top Bottom