Best Portable Vape?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omniscient

Hi, I wanted to get some opinions mainly on some portable vapes and also home vapes as i have decided to completely give up smoking. I have a volcano classic for home use and i currently have my eyes set on the vapman portable vaporizer. Any suggestions or opinions are appreciated thank you, and maybe if someone has used the vapman how do you like it and how portable is it?

Omniscient,

vaporcloud

lurking kiwi
Plenty of threads on here to help you make a decision Omni.

First welcome to FC ... hope you hang around and post a few.

For portables there is quite a bit of info about the vaporstar, vaporgenie, VP600 and the new kid on the block The I-inhale.

But unfortunaltly not a lot of info about the vapman. I've seen the video on youtube and done some research and IMO its over priced and quite fiddley. I'm suer it does a good job as a portable and does have the advantage of heating first and then drawing which avoids inhaling any butane exhaust.

Good Luck

vaporcloud,

max

Out to lunch
If you're considering the Vapman, take a look at the Phyto Lab Portable. It looks like it was inspired by the Vapman-heat, then hit. The owner at vapenow.com prefers it. It's Swiss made too, like the Vapman, and a little bit cheaper.

max,

vaporcloud

lurking kiwi
Never seen the phyto before. Something new out all the time. Looks interesting but how does it work compared to a VG of vapman? Do you heat first and then draw like the Vapman (a major plus for the Vapman) or light and draw at the same time - ala the VG?

vaporcloud,

max

Out to lunch
vaporcloud said:
how does it work compared to a VG of vapman?
"it was inspired by the Vapman-heat, then hit." I saw a video of it somewhere, but couldn't find it yesterday. Like the Vapman, a torch is required. Unlike the Vapman, there's no wood to worry about burning if you get high and your aim gets sloppy ;). Nate at Vapenow said he thought he was overcooking/burning his bowl, because he got such a good hit, but the remains were all brown.

"I was also able to get better vapor with no burning with the Phyto Lab, compared to my use of the VaporGenie and Vapman." http://vapenow.com/blog/2008/10/lighter-powered-portable-vaporizers_16.html

This would be a good alternative to the Genie for outdoor use when it's windy, since wind, or even light rain, wouldn't keep a torch from working.

max,

Omniscient

Thanks for the response guys. I'm going to do some research on these different portables and I'll drop back by after I've made my purchase.

Omniscient,

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
I'm gonna quickly add in that I also own a VaporGenie. It kicks major ass. Totally portable. No electricity. Just a bic and the VG, and your set. :cool: In reality, it don't get much more portable. Especially considering it's look, design, operation, size and not to mention efficiency and effectiveness. It works really well, and delivers wonderful vapor time and time again, assuming you have proper technique.

SpiralArchitect,

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
Yeah, it looks nice. But we were discussing in the 'new vaporizers' thread how, in my opinion, and perhaps others, that it looks like the manufacturing costs it is a fraction of the $109 your paying. The extreme price markup had better equate to one awesome vaporizer.

SpiralArchitect,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
What's your criteria for the 'best' portable vape?

price, stealth, durability, power source, ease of use, etc.

vtac,

DigitalDavinci

Vapohaulic
For me personally...I'm looking for a vape that heats up to the proper temp with little or NO worry of combustion. It needs to be made out of a material the is safe and can handle the abuse that protablity issues. The power source needs to not be electric for obvious reasons, and after my recent woes with the VG...I'd say lighter power is out as well.

Unless manufactures try something like Coors Light beer, an emblem can be made that turn colors when the vape gets to the optimal temp. That would be a cheap fix for the VG. Anyone know where I can get a sticker that reacts to 374 F? LOL

Price is realative. Look at the volcano...very expensive, but because of a quality product (from what I read), and advertising it sells just fine. I'd spend $109 for the VG if there was some sort of way to know when to stop adding heat. It's obvious after looking through my thread that ease of use and safety are the most important to me. After would be stealth. Even the PD could be stealthy if it wasn't for the power cord, and it isn't desgned for portable stealth. More home stealth. From what I read in the inital stages...the i inhale is a reasonable anwser to these criteria. I know there is supposed to be safe plastic, but I was also told when I was younger that light cigerettes were better for you. Come to find out there can be more tar and nicotine in the light cigs. Plastic makes me nervous, but I'm sure they have done their tests...???

:2c:

DD

DigitalDavinci,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
DD, I took this from the -inhale thread:

The Outside plastic is not your everyday commonly found plastic.
It is ?Ultem 1000? which is FDA and United States Pharmacoepia Class VI compliant. Ultem 1000 is a thermoplastic polyetherimide high heat polymer designed by General Electric. Ultem is also commonly machined into parts for reusable medical devices, electrical/electronic insulators and a variety of structural components requiring high strength and rigidity at elevated temperatures.

The reason we picked this plastic was because it has low thermal conductivity. If we used metal or other far cheaper plastics like glass filled nylon we could not make it so small without burning your hand off.

The internal plastics are made from DuPont Automotive Zenite* liquid crystal polymer, which also has a very low thermal conductivity and is FDA approval for use in repeated food-contact applications. Zenite* liquid crystal polymer is also used in auto ignition fuel handling, ovenware and the aerospace industry and for fuel or gas barrier structures.

I am a fan of the i-inhale and have tried the Vapir products (original and the oxygen) and I can say that the i-inhale is def better than those. I have not tried VG but I can say that I am satisified with this unit's performance. If you are in a dark room, it might be hard to see your vapor, but sitting in my car today, I was able to see quite a bit of vapor. It really does help to let your herb sit in there for a couple of minutes if you want big tokes. The herb never comes close to combusting either!

Good luck, I have no problem recommending the i-inhale, it has a set a new standard for portable vapes IMO

stonemonkey55,

Omniscient

Ok, I've done a little bit of research and it didn't take long for me to become sold on the vaporgenie. It's affordability is a plus; my only concern with the vaporgenie is the quality of the vaporizing process because of the direct use of the lighter. It just seems a little to good to be true as it seems similar to a normal pipe type piece(lighter and pipe set up). How is the quality of this piece guys does it ever cause combustion to the slightest degree or does it work like a charm? To answer your question vtac, stealth, ease of use, and portability are my main desired feats. Digitaldavinci i do love my volcano despite the price, i highly recommend getting one i split it half and half with my best friend and he never asks to borrow it so kinda lucked out. Digital you say you had woes with the vg? What woes?

Omniscient,

max

Out to lunch
How is the quality of this piece guys does it ever cause combustion to the slightest degree or does it work like a charm?
The Genie, as well as the Vaporstar, is good quality. Controlling the heat is the trick. Enough heat and you can get some great hits, but it's short step from great hit to burned herb. You're going from the eaiest type vape to use (bag) to the hardest type, with only a ceramic filter between the flame and the herb. It takes practice and patience but you can't beat it for the price.

max,

DigitalDavinci

Vapohaulic
Omniscient...I personally have found the heating process a bit difficult. I tend to go straight from warm up to combustion, but I do seem to be the only one. I'm going to give it a true test next week. Then I'll make my decision if I like it or I'll sell it.

If the herb browning consistancy is what you're worried about, then maybe the VG will cause a bit of a problem. From what I've read...even experianced users combust from time to time. I want an even cook like the PD everytime. Demanding I know, but he PD has opened my eyes to the standard of vape/brownwed material I'm looking for. Don't take one bad review though. I seem to be the lone exception to the clan of happy VG owners. Some of the core here swear by it. I guess if you have the patience and get the process that is being explained, then the VG is right for you. I'm still a noobie to the whole process, so my inexperiance may be shinning through in my woes.

Also, I think the volcano is awesome, and I'd love to have one (I don't share well. Only child and all :p ). I actually ment that I think the cano is very expensive. but to someone like yourself...they couldn't see buying any other vape. Hense...price is relative. If VG put a temp gauge on their product I'd pay double what I paid. It's relative to me because I'd save in the long run by not combusting my bud, and it would be a realible/safe way to ingest MJ portablly. Well worth a hefty price tag to myself because it is what I am looking for right now.

Good luck in finding your needle in a haystack,

DD

DigitalDavinci,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom