• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Best Perc Type(s)/Best Bubbler for Max Cooling/Smoothing/Filtering

Polarbearboy

Tokin' Away Since 1968
I've been inhaling cannabis products--weed and rarely hash--since the late 60's. I smoked cigarettes for more than 50 years, Lucky Strikes at that. Been cigarette free for 8 years and have combusted(as opposed to vaping or eating) cannabis less than once a year--and always with the same buddy--for 7 years. Though I'm in my seventies, I still enjoy vigorous outdoor recreation(was out on my ebike in the mtns in the 30s(F) today) and still really enjoy getting stoned, over those long years my lungs have become sensitive. With all the superb legal weed and fantastic concentrates, I don't want to give it up. To get the big milky hits that I still adore into my lungs, I need maximum cooling and or filtration. Right now I'm looking at my DHgate double tree perc with a matrix ash collector with one of my vapes on top. This sort of setup has fallen over and things have gotten broken more than once because its weighted way off center. But I need lots of cooling/smoothing/water-filtering or whatever. So what am I to do? I've now owned seven or eight mostly moderately priced water pieces of various sizes with various percing technologies, but don't really have much to compare to. I live in a rural area and have few nearby retail glass shops.

What do you think is the best way to cool/smooth/filter cannavapor? That is what perc or cooling method, or set of technologies? We really need some scientists to study this! But your opinions are the next best thing
:)
Then what do you think is the best piece of full-sized glass that is generally available, cost be damned or understanding that some of us are financially moderate or limited? Thanks.

PS: I've also tried a number of charcoal filters, including Mouthpiece. I'll try almost anything to keep this damn habit going! Suggest away please.

PPS: Cheap or lower priced glass suggestions go to the front of the line.

staircase slight of hand

A lot of people hate them because they take a decent amount of cleaning upkeep to keep them unclogged, but when I think maximum smoothness/filtration I think fritted discs, so Rooster Apparatus and their budget side-brand Dave G Glass.

Edit to add: especially in cold/dry climates, try warm/hot water instead of cold.

Last edited:

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
This is my new easy favorite:

I have a few different options for mouthpiece (@508phineas on Instagram vigreux cooling tube and GooRoo mouthpiece from my color frit 3piece from them) I use with 45° angle adapters from allaccessary on DHgate (s shape drop down adapters are also a great way to add extra cooling along with better ergonomics)

I also I think it's worth checking out the Licit Glass at nhalables.com though it cost quite a bit more...

Otherwise maybe this with female to female s shape drop-down adapter or tall straight fab egg with FOL perc? I have one from CaliBear but it was not cheap and the mouthpiece offers too much draw restriction imo (here is an FOL perc without the egg) or this maybe

Maybe this could be good too I don't know? Or this one... Or perhaps one of these...?? Good luck!

Last edited:

CANtalk

A honeycomb perc gave me the most conditioning... a favorite. Size of vape makes a huge difference in conditioning as well.

Stackable water pieces are a neat option(with more filtration).

:peace: :leaf:

andrew`124c41+

I've been inhaling cannabis products--weed and rarely hash--since the late 60's. I smoked cigarettes for more than 50 years, Lucky Strikes at that. Been cigarette free for 8 years and have combusted(as opposed to vaping or eating) cannabis less than once a year--and always with the same buddy--for 7 years. Though I'm in my seventies, I still enjoy vigorous outdoor recreation(was out on my ebike in the mtns in the 30s(F) today) and still really enjoy getting stoned, over those long years my lungs have become sensitive. With all the superb legal weed and fantastic concentrates, I don't want to give it up. To get the big milky hits that I still adore into my lungs, I need maximum cooling and or filtration. Right now I'm looking at my DHgate double tree perc with a matrix ash collector with one of my vapes on top. This sort of setup has fallen over and things have gotten broken more than once because its weighted way off center. But I need lots of cooling/smoothing/water-filtering or whatever. So what am I to do? I've now owned seven or eight mostly moderately priced water pieces of various sizes with various percing technologies, but don't really have much to compare to. I live in a rural area and have few nearby retail glass shops.

What do you think is the best way to cool/smooth/filter cannavapor? That is what perc or cooling method, or set of technologies? We really need some scientists to study this! But your opinions are the next best thing
:)
Then what do you think is the best piece of full-sized glass that is generally available, cost be damned or understanding that some of us are financially moderate or limited? Thanks.

PS: I've also tried a number of charcoal filters, including Mouthpiece. I'll try almost anything to keep this damn habit going! Suggest away please.

PPS: Cheap or lower priced glass suggestions go to the front of the line.

I am 69 and I stopped smoking at the age of 17 in 1969. The main reason was that I never smoked tobacco and I was concerned that it would affect my lungs. It was only this year that for medical reasons and the availability of edibles and vaporizers that I felt comfortable with it.

One sentence in your post jumps out at me, that is your desire to have thick milky clouds. I hear that a lot on YouTube reviews and read it in written reviews.

What follows is purely a personal opinion. I think this desire is a hold over from the total Bambu conflagration method we were accustomed to....but the irony is that the purpose of vaping and the name of this Forum is to get away from this altogether.

I too have been using a WP. In another thread a member suggested that with a long stem for my new TM vaporizer, I might not even find it necessary.

In fact, just today I tried it out. The stem is about 7 in long and I found it to be true....

But, here is the catch. I am vaping at relatively low temperatures, 350 to about 380. When I have used higher temps I wind up with something between ash...and who knows what.

The "what" is what I end up with now. It is not ash.

Anyway, the point of the low temps is to prevent tars and the other harmful particulates that one gets in smoke from being created in the first place.

Most of the time I can barely see anything in what I exhale or in my bong.

An invisible vapor or as close as I can get us my goal.

I don't think WPs do much filtering although I have not attempted to research the topic to see if anyone has actually looked at this.

My sense is that water mostly just cools the vapor.

This brings me to another topic that was debated in another thread. I read an article suggesting that the true boiling point of THC at 1 atmosphere is unknown. There is a calculated value but the true value is probably much higher than we vape at. In the article a guy who works with vaporizers thinks that the THC may become an aerosol which piggybacks on lower BP agents.

Anyway, no matter how it really works we just want the effects and get them as safely as possible. To that end, I think the best bet as I said, vape at as low a temp as you can.

How much THC and Terpines are actually left in the water is a good question.

Polarbearboy

Tokin' Away Since 1968
I am 69 and I stopped smoking at the age of 17 in 1969. The main reason was that I never smoked tobacco and I was concerned that it would affect my lungs. It was only this year that for medical reasons and the availability of edibles and vaporizers that I felt comfortable with it.

One sentence in your post jumps out at me, that is your desire to have thick milky clouds. I hear that a lot on YouTube reviews and read it in written reviews.

What follows is purely a personal opinion. I think this desire is a hold over from the total Bambu conflagration method we were accustomed to....but the irony is that the purpose of vaping and the name of this Forum is to get away from this altogether.

I too have been using a WP. In another thread a member suggested that with a long stem for my new TM vaporizer, I might not even find it necessary.

In fact, just today I tried it out. The stem is about 7 in long and I found it to be true....

But, here is the catch. I am vaping at relatively low temperatures, 350 to about 380. When I have used higher temps I wind up with something between ash...and who knows what.

The "what" is what I end up with now. It is not ash.

Anyway, the point of the low temps is to prevent tars and the other harmful particulates that one gets in smoke from being created in the first place.

Most of the time I can barely see anything in what I exhale or in my bong.

An invisible vapor or as close as I can get us my goal.

I don't think WPs do much filtering although I have not attempted to research the topic to see if anyone has actually looked at this.

My sense is that water mostly just cools the vapor.

This brings me to another topic that was debated in another thread. I read an article suggesting that the true boiling point of THC at 1 atmosphere is unknown. There is a calculated value but the true value is probably much higher than we vape at. In the article a guy who works with vaporizers thinks that the THC may become an aerosol which piggybacks on lower BP agents.

Anyway, no matter how it really works we just want the effects and get them as safely as possible. To that end, I think the best bet as I said, vape at as low a temp as you can.

How much THC and Terpines are actually left in the water is a good question.
You make some interesting and actually thought-provoking points. As an ex-smoker or because this is why we smoke in the first place(other than the addictive nature of nicotine), l like lung-filling big milky hits. This is for a feeling mostly and also a hope that it will make me more stoned quicker. And so I use a big waterpipe with three internal percs, pre-filtered/cooled with an ash catcher, and then finally filtered through activated carbon to get my big hits. All those percs and filters are so my old smoker's lungs won't feel too bad when I fill them with vapor. Maybe I would get just as stoned using lower temps, taking smaller hits, not trying to fill my lungs. This reminds me of the advice in Storz-Bickel product manuals: If your lungs or throat are irritated, only take half hits and always at lower temps. Knowing all this, I still love filling my lungs with dense vapor. Maybe if I took smaller lower temp hits I wouldn't need all the percs, ash catcher, and carbon filters. But it wouldn't be as much fun! Still after a big session last eve and wheeziness this morning, maybe I should give the alternative a try.

RE: Types of Percs etc.: A bit after I wrote the top post, my DHGate order came. I got two new big waterpipes, the biggest I've ever owned. One is absolutely huge--hard to tell sizes sometimes when ordering--and has two 12-arm tree percs and a double matrix perc. The other is also large--Mobius sidecar matrix knock-off/unlabeled. I have five other working waterpipes as well with in-line, honeycomb, and other perc types. After a month of playing around, it seems to me that the size and mass has far more influence on cooling/filtering than perc type. The Mobius knockoff with its one perc seems to give just as much tempering as the big triple perc and both supply more cooling than my half-the-size double percs with ash catchers and carbon filters.

And Andrew's comment above raises another question: Yes, the waterpipes cool the vapor, but are they actually filtering anything. We just don't know. We learned from cigarettes that was no difference in health outcomes for people who smoked filter cigarettes vs those who smoked unfiltered cigarettes. We need science and research to give us anything more than anecdotal data.

Last edited:

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
FC-1000 Inverted matrix perc to peyote piller . One of the coolest for sure !
rBVaI1kS2P-APXVfAAE4E4NbIlA188.jpg

Last edited:

Shit Snacks

FC-1000 Inverted matrix perc to peyote piller . One of the coolest for sure !
rBVaI1kS2P-APXVfAAE4E4NbIlA188.jpg

I think they don't sell these anymore, there is also one from Phoenix Glass that had a orb circ perc instead of the matrix, that one is still available from a reseller on eBay at least for like $90... I have a smaller recycler with some pillars, interesting function, still curious to try one of these peyote pillars!

androponic

vaped.
I think they don't sell these anymore, there is also one from Phoenix Glass that had a orb circ perc instead of the matrix, that one is still available from a reseller on eBay at least for like $90... I have a smaller recycler with some pillars, interesting function, still curious to try one of these peyote pillars!
got a link for the ebay one? im curious

Shit Snacks

scoobindedoob

I'm also hunting for the maximum cooling possible. The dry winter months are pretty rough on my coughing!

Anecdotally, I've found that a tiny little piece with double honeycombs (oasis bubbler from dynavap) cools better than my grav upright bubbler, even if I use water in the grav and no water in the oasis. However the Grav upright bubbler with water seems to cool better than my d020 matrix clone.

I also have a beaker bong with a fixed slitted downstem and tree percs, and that seems to cool the best of everything I own right now. However it's hard to do dabs with a beaker, and I just prefer the form factor of bubblers with the female joint on top, easier to attach vapes and easier to see the chamber -- I don't like to take giant hits, they make me cough.

I've just ordered a Grav Upline Bubbler -- hopefully that provides more cooling than the Grav Upright. I'm also super tempted to pull the trigger on this matrix/peyote pillar bong. If my willpower holds, I'll wait until the Upline gets here before buying the matrix/pillar.

Quesion for the group: are peyote pillars hard to clean/rinse? I don't like pieces that are impossible to empty the water out of

scoobindedoob,
Reactions: CANtalk

Texus

I'm also hunting for the maximum cooling possible. The dry winter months are pretty rough on my coughing!

Anecdotally, I've found that a tiny little piece with double honeycombs (oasis bubbler from dynavap) cools better than my grav upright bubbler, even if I use water in the grav and no water in the oasis. However the Grav upright bubbler with water seems to cool better than my d020 matrix clone.

I also have a beaker bong with a fixed slitted downstem and tree percs, and that seems to cool the best of everything I own right now. However it's hard to do dabs with a beaker, and I just prefer the form factor of bubblers with the female joint on top, easier to attach vapes and easier to see the chamber -- I don't like to take giant hits, they make me cough.

I've just ordered a Grav Upline Bubbler -- hopefully that provides more cooling than the Grav Upright. I'm also super tempted to pull the trigger on this matrix/peyote pillar bong. If my willpower holds, I'll wait until the Upline gets here before buying the matrix/pillar.

Quesion for the group: are peyote pillars hard to clean/rinse? I don't like pieces that are impossible to empty the water out of
Hope you like that Upline Bubbler as much as I do.

scoobindedoob

Think I want with level recommended. Which was a bit higher than I expected. Think it was maybe 2 inches. But not 100% sure
So do you fill all the way up to the 3rd large ring, or past it?

Below are my first impressions of the cooling/smoothing/filtering of the Grav Upline Bubbler, hopefully my research can help others!

My upline bubbler arrived today, just gave it an everclear rinse, water rinse. It's a strange shape, mouthpiece isn't as long as i expected. A bit slippery in the hand while rinsing, nowhere to really grab. But this thread is about cooling not form factor

I filled it up with water to give it a test run with a dynavap hit. I went a bit past the click to give it a test with a hotter-than-usual hit that would probably be pretty harsh for me when using the regular grav upright bubbler or my d020-d. Everyone says these matrix clones are supposed to provide a lot of cooling, I must be doing it wrong, I find the d020-d to be the harshest piece I have, the grav upright is better, now trying the grav upline:

More research is needed, the hit was not as cool/smooth as I had hoped for, but still smoother than those other 2 previously mentioned pieces. However, not as smooth as a beaker I have with a regular downstem, tree perc, and ice catch (not sure the model, got it off amazon I think but I can't find the order). I never use the ice catch, and the water doesn't stay up in that top chamber, and its really hard to empty all of the water out of the tree percs. But it's very cool and smooth.

I don't love using beakers, I like the classic bubbler shape (like the d020-d) so you can see how big your hit is going to be. So I'm looking for something smoother than the d020-c and the grav upright, but with the mouthpiece angled away from the chamber so you can see the business. Grav upline fits that bill, so I had to pick it up.

I'll try it more with regular-temp dyna hits and some dabs. Unfortunately the dtv4 bottomless banger doesn't fit on the Grav Upline Bubbler -- I guess I'll have to get some kind of adapter, recommendations welcome. But so far, it is cool and smooth, but didn't quite meet my expectations for the perfect piece.

I'm trying to find that fc-1000 mentioned above, popularglass seems to be somewhat not open for business right now.

scoobindedoob,

Shit Snacks

So do you fill all the way up to the 3rd large ring, or past it?

Below are my first impressions of the cooling/smoothing/filtering of the Grav Upline Bubbler, hopefully my research can help others!

My upline bubbler arrived today, just gave it an everclear rinse, water rinse. It's a strange shape, mouthpiece isn't as long as i expected. A bit slippery in the hand while rinsing, nowhere to really grab. But this thread is about cooling not form factor

I filled it up with water to give it a test run with a dynavap hit. I went a bit past the click to give it a test with a hotter-than-usual hit that would probably be pretty harsh for me when using the regular grav upright bubbler or my d020-d. Everyone says these matrix clones are supposed to provide a lot of cooling, I must be doing it wrong, I find the d020-d to be the harshest piece I have, the grav upright is better, now trying the grav upline:

More research is needed, the hit was not as cool/smooth as I had hoped for, but still smoother than those other 2 previously mentioned pieces. However, not as smooth as a beaker I have with a regular downstem, tree perc, and ice catch (not sure the model, got it off amazon I think but I can't find the order). I never use the ice catch, and the water doesn't stay up in that top chamber, and its really hard to empty all of the water out of the tree percs. But it's very cool and smooth.

I don't love using beakers, I like the classic bubbler shape (like the d020-d) so you can see how big your hit is going to be. So I'm looking for something smoother than the d020-c and the grav upright, but with the mouthpiece angled away from the chamber so you can see the business. Grav upline fits that bill, so I had to pick it up.

I'll try it more with regular-temp dyna hits and some dabs. Unfortunately the dtv4 bottomless banger doesn't fit on the Grav Upline Bubbler -- I guess I'll have to get some kind of adapter, recommendations welcome. But so far, it is cool and smooth, but didn't quite meet my expectations for the perfect piece.

I'm trying to find that fc-1000 mentioned above, popularglass seems to be somewhat not open for business right now.

I have the upline bubbler coming from China DHgate cheap version I posted in that glass thread, curious about the experience, but I don't think cooling is necessarily the focus? Seems more like a milking flavor piece with some potential cooling from the choke effect but I don't know how much considering the rest of the design...

I also finally caved and ordered this because it seems like a solid slitted ratchet fountain perk, with plenty of right angle bend dry path before it even gets to the water for cooling and catching debris (since it is a male joint I will be using a female to female s-shape drop-down adapter with it as well for even more right angle dry cooling path) and then it has those three cross joint swiss holes for further cooling of the vapor after it goes through the fountain perked water. They shipped it out quick and it is already moving, you know I will be reporting on it when it arrives! (it was $48.85 for me, the price fluctuates and DHgate coupons are starting soon again should be able to get it for under 50)

I'm excited to try the swiss holes, they seem very effective, a nice in between of an egg and cooling spikes perhaps, you just need something to disrupt the vapor, I think right angle bends really help so drop down adapters are really beneficial... GlassManufacturers can send you two of two different sizes if you ask them when you order, and allaccessary has super fast shipping with every adapter you need as well!

I don't know if it's been mentioned in this thread yet, but Cloud Connoisseur new Prodigy Seems like a fantastic option specifically for big cool hits, worth checking out his glass thread (a dry piece is coming soon too)

Otherwise I am still really loving my TAG modular super slit donut for an all-around piece, flavor and diffusion, smooth milking, I use my CaliBear straight fab egg fol perc dry usually for the cooling though it is hampered by a restrictive mouthpiece... FireWithinGlass has his own perks that are pretty good, some of them do a lot of filtration and he has doubles and ash catchers, I think you can get really smooth hits, when I use my bubbler of his hits are too smooth and I usually want more flavor and milk lol I have another one from him I like using a bit better...

Try eBay for the peyote pillar?
Phoenix glass or Yingmin5

Last edited:
Shit Snacks,
Reactions: Grass Yes

andrew`124c41+

I have the upline bubbler coming from China DHgate cheap version I posted in that glass thread, curious about the experience, but I don't think cooling is necessarily the focus? Seems more like a milking flavor piece with some potential cooling from the choke effect but I don't know how much considering the rest of the design...

I also finally caved and ordered this because it seems like a solid slitted ratchet fountain perk, with plenty of right angle bend dry path before it even gets to the water for cooling and catching debris (since it is a male joint I will be using a female to female s-shape drop-down adapter with it as well for even more right angle dry cooling path) and then it has those three cross joint swiss holes for further cooling of the vapor after it goes through the fountain perked water. They shipped it out quick and it is already moving, you know I will be reporting on it when it arrives! (it was $48.85 for me, the price fluctuates and DHgate coupons are starting soon again should be able to get it for under 50)

I'm excited to try the swiss holes, they seem very effective, a nice in between of an egg and cooling spikes perhaps, you just need something to disrupt the vapor, I think right angle bends really help so drop down adapters are really beneficial... GlassManufacturers can send you two of two different sizes if you ask them when you order, and allaccessary has super fast shipping with every adapter you need as well!

I don't know if it's been mentioned in this thread yet, but Cloud Connoisseur new Prodigy Seems like a fantastic option specifically for big cool hits, worth checking out his glass thread (a dry piece is coming soon too)

Otherwise I am still really loving my TAG modular super slit donut for an all-around piece, flavor and diffusion, smooth milking, I use my CaliBear straight fab egg fol perc dry usually for the cooling though it is hampered by a restrictive mouthpiece... FireWithinGlass has his own perks that are pretty good, some of them do a lot of filtration and he has doubles and ash catchers, I think you can get really smooth hits, when I use my bubbler of his hits are too smooth and I usually want more flavor and milk lol I have another one from him I like using a bit better...

I am not familiar with all the glass all of you are talking about. Where can I find links to see pics... thanks.

(Perhaps there is an adapter allow me to run my vapes through the home HVAC.......
(Just kidding!)

andrew`124c41+,

Shit Snacks

I am not familiar with all the glass all of you are talking about. Where can I find links to see pics... thanks.

(Perhaps there is an adapter allow me to run my vapes through the home HVAC.......
(Just kidding!)

lol most everything I've posted has been in the cheap glass thread, so I'd say just go there and skim backwards, I usually post photos with links, but I didn't feel like it this time, so I just posted some links and referenced otherwise...

Shit Snacks,

scoobindedoob

I guess I was optimistic that the upline would be an improvement in cooling over the regular upright. And after Texus mentioned in this thread that they liked it a lot, I was assuming it might have some cooling. And to be honest, I didn't take a good look at the downstem before ordering, I thought there were holes in those big round discs, there aren't. There's just 5 holes in the bottom of the downstem (the regular grav upright has 6). The lowest disc seems to do nothing but stabilize the glass, the top 2 discs kinda interrupt the water bubbling action, the discs in the mouthpiece I suppose force the vapor to pass over more surface area of glass.

After using it a few more times, damn the draw is super tight, it's like a traditional tobacco pipe almost. Further thoughts on the cooling, does it provide more cooling than the regular grav upright? A bit, but after using it a few times and sleeping on my first impressions, I'm probably going to try to sell it. It's hard for my wife to hold, my bigger hands can hold it alright but not as easily or comfortably as my other pieces. I don't think drop down adapters will fit on it either, but please let us know when yours arrives if any of your adapters fit.

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device

scoobindedoob

I'm trying to buy from there, but their checkout system seems broken. Prompts you to send them money through Western Union, but they don't tell you how. I reached out to them, and they said they are revamping their website soon and adding CC payment. But, after creating my account I immediately received some fishy phishing emails, so I'd rather not input my CC info directly.

Fingers crossed, I'll eventually be able to buy that piece from them. There's also a listing on DHGATE here https://www.dhgate.com/product/advance-booking-2015-new-high-quality-glass/218126546.html that i'm hoping gets restocked.

Has anyone come across a d020 shaped bubbler that has 2 honeycombs in it? Honeycombs seem to provide great cooling, but I don't like beakers.

Texus

I have dropdown adapters that work with Upline Bubbler. But don't recall where I got them.

And @scoobindedoob sorry that my rec steered you wrong. I may be a good deal less sensitive to cooling or you may be vaping at higher temps. But it is my go-to piece more often than not. Especially with Anvil and B2. And as a guy with huge hands the width didn't occur to me as being potentially problematic.

Top Bottom