• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Best of the Firefly Vaporizer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Depav

mod note: To comment on the Firefly, go to the full Firefly thread. To add posts to this thread, read the sticky at the top of this forum.

Just noticed the Firefly - looks like it's a convection portable with a glass heating chamber and swappable battery. Their website says it's available in early December - I did notice an old thread on FC about it which is now closed though.

home-firefly.png

edit: looks like Vape World will carry it as well: http://www.vapeworld.com/firefly-vaporizer

Last edited by a moderator:

marduk

daydreamer
To me it looks like the heating element is right behind the "grill" on three sides and the air flows through those openings into and up through the bowl.

6LxMYhn.png

TxQyDaj.png

marduk

daydreamer
I couldn't find where they say they're heating the bowl directly. I did find info on their Pinterest link which says explicitly that it's convection. Hopefully this is not outdated information. On the downside, it seems like they won't have adjustable temp control, just one fixed temp of 400F. So you'll have to control your actual temps with speed and length of draw...

Jt13tCn.png

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
Some quick initial first impressions after one session....

1. Learning curve not all that steep. Vapecritic overplays this i think. Fill, cover, hold in button....that's really it. when you let go, how long you hold, all that's part of the curve but it doesn't take long to get big hits.

2. Hits...got big clouds, small invisible tasties, and all the grades in between. Again, just a matter of holding/releasing the heat button and your draw.

3. Vapor quality....excellent. Clouds taste more toasted than smaller hits, natch. The smaller hits taste great. Frankly maybe not quite up to Solo level, but if Solo is a 10, this is an 8. (Put the VB2 at 5, say.)

4. Size. It's heavy, i guess. nothing that would prevent you from taking it somewhere. It's eminently portable. Feels solid and quite elegant. Don't worry about the magnetic lid coming off...it's not all that easy to pry off. can't imagine it coming off in your pocket.

5. It does seem a tad messy. Material comes out and the lid and top inside surface have bits of material on them right away. easy to clean, though, it appears. (no idea how to replace the screen though...if anyone has any wisdom on that, let it roll.) EDIT: Found the screen replacement info in the cleaning guide PDF linked from the Firefly site.

6. Heat...thing gets warm, but not really hot. I was touching the shiny metal surface of the inside top, right about the heater, within 15 or 20 seconds of letting off the heat button...and it seemed coolish. So the heat dissipates right quick.

7. Battery life...no idea yet. More later when i get a handle on it. Basically did five or six draws and had to stop, so we'll see where the batt goes from there. EDIT: Yep, batt life isn't great. Died on me at the beginning of second bowl, maybe 20-ish long draws total. (To be fair i was leaning on the heat button pretty hard much of the time.) It does fully recharge in like 40 minutes so i'm gonna try to catch it at the 30 minute mark so it doesn't top off and see how long that charge lasts me.

Overall, fast, short learning curve, excellent functionality, a little messy so far but no big deal. More later, looking forward to hearing other impressions. But i'm very happy i got it, after one hour. (Too soon?:lol:)

mitchgo61,

mitchgo61

I agree, but a lot of mfg do this.
Sounds like it was defective right out of the box. For a high-end vape at the price you paid, I think they should cover return shipping for DOA units.

If I'm not mistaken, Ploom sends out prepaid labels for PAX warranty coverage throughout the warranty period.

But wait. The story isn't over yet. Minutes after typing my last post, i get a call from Sarah C at FF. She says "i spoke with my manager. He wants to get your old unit back ASAP so they can test it..." So she says they will send me a postpaid mailing label so i don't have to pay for shipping.

Great news. And then it got better. She said they have already overnighted me a brand new unit which i should have tomorrow or Wednesday at the absolute latest. I could not have been more happy or appreciative. So, defective unit or not, and whatever may happen with the next unit, FF have a customer for life in me. Nothing bonds me to a company like great service.

And then while i had her on the phone, i figured i'd ask her about using a top screen (since after all she's the "service" person.) She said "well, the product is so new that we currently don't recommend any usage apart from what we suggest. However, you can try it, we don't have any reason to think it causes a problem, and it will NOT violate your warranty." Music to my ears. Then, quite amusingly, she said "you can try checking out that website "F" combustion.com...i don't wanna say the name, it's a swear word. The folks there always have great tips." Yes, thanks, familiar with it. :ko:

Finally i told her The Vape Critic, who seems to have the only current video review of the FF, mentioned trying a top screen to minimize spillage. She cracked me up with "oh the Vape Critic said that? Probably a good idea then. we love the Vape Critic...after all, he's...The Vape Critic!" Too funny.

So bottom line, great service, new unit on the way, hopefully better results starting tomorrow. Will let you all know what happens.

mitchgo61,

VaPeD&CoNfUsEd

JoDa Glassworks
Glass Blower
Ok. It charged incredibly fast. Taste is great. Inline with the ascent and solo. There's definitely some technique required. Draw speed seems to play a really big role here. Draw to hard and the heater can not keep up. I'm very medicated but wasn't getting giant clouds. It really does have a mflb feel to it because it takes technique and you can give it a shake torn stir the herb. These are my impressions so far off of one session with blue cheese. I will be trying several different strains and grinds throughout the day and reporting back. I am somewhat impressed so far but would like to start seeing some clouds like the vape critic was getting. I am an admitted cloud chaser and flavor whore! Lol

modnote: back to back posts merged.

Ok my lackluster clouds were totally strain based!!! It must've been because of that sticky icky blue cheese cause I just put in some of my very cured lemonhead in it and it was cloud city! I mean wow! It'll hang with any of the big boys as far as portables go. The vape critics preheat technique is spot on actually. So far so great!

VaPeD&CoNfUsEd,

Necrosan

Just ran another 2 bowls through it _without_ the top screen and had no issues.

Not 100% sure here, but here is my theory with the combusting:

By design it looks like with a full bowl + the lid on even if packed down the herbs will "expand" (move up) and not be packed as tight near the element due to the extra air space added by the top lid.

My thoughts are that with the screen in place + a full bowl, there is no room for the materials to move around because of the pressure from the lid being placed on top of the screen and this combined with the preheating is cause for issue.

Not sure if this is messing with the temperature sensor or if the packed herb density itself is the issue or what exactly is going on.

Have any of you had issues with combustion _without_ using the top screen?

Necrosan,

VaPeD&CoNfUsEd

JoDa Glassworks
Glass Blower
The only thing I find by loading more is that the first couple hits are tastier and thicker. Beyond that it's just a few more wispier hits towards the end of the session. So to me the difference isn't substantial enough to merit using 2-3 times the amount of herb that I'm now currently using.

Now that I've got my tech pretty much down I took another run at my blue cheese (always has been my favorite strain and always will be no matter how old school it is there's always at least 1 in my garden every run). Anyways, I will say that this thing is most definitely capable of the "couch lock" end of the spectrum. This vape really seams to bring out the most in a strain. If it's sativa dom ur gonna feel it in the head. If it's indica dom ur gonna get that body high.

VaPeD&CoNfUsEd,

mitchgo61

When I stir the bowl mid way through it seems that the very center takes the majority of the heat/air. The outsides remain a lighter green than the inside. Could only really accurately gauge this with the upper screen in (because your herb moves around quite a bit without it in place) and going off of what I noticed prior to the combustion.

With FF#2 i've tried to follow a consistent approach, one that's similar to how i vape in other units. I fill the bowl (maybe .2ish g) with medium grind material. After a few hits i stir, in the process doing a bit of manual grinding, and re-compact slightly. I find a loose pack in this vape is super-messy right from the first hit, so i like to keep tamping down the load as i go. this has minimized the need for a second screen and given me an even cook. (I personally haven't seen hotspots per se...I did see them in FF#1 when it combusted a few times, usually in the center and bottom of the load....one of the things that made me think the top screen wasn't the culprit.) I don't find, so far, any issues with results based on a more dense load.
The whole session is an iterative process of draw, draw, draw, stir, grind a little, re-tamp a little, repeat. For me a successful session is being left with a tiny amount of very dark powder, rather than any significant amount of usable material. Call me compulsive. :) With practice i am getting closer to being able to achieve this fully-baked approach with the FF. I'm not completely there yet, and given the temp range, it may not be possible to reduce the material as thoroughly as i can with the Solo or V Tower. (Worst part is the last 1/4 of the session can get messy due to the ever-finer grind that results.)

I do think Necro's issue sounds identical to mine with FF#1, and i'm positive mine was some kind of malfunction. A properly functioning unit doesn't lose control of its heat so easily and arbitrarily.

mitchgo61,

mitchgo61

Hey guys,
I just got mine today; but I don't seem to work it right. I try the VapeCritic method but does not seem to get any clouds or even decent hits. And a lot of material coming out the bowl while drawing, which is very annoying. Any suggestions?

You should re-read this thread from page 9 or so and you'll get a lot of good tips. My approach: fill the bowl with medium grind material, and compact it lightly. This'll minimize material coming out of the bowl. Turn on the toggle switch. Hold down the heat button for a precount of 4-8 seconds. begin drawing, slowly and steadily. Let off the button halfway through your hit. Don't re-press the heat button after you release it (once I release the button I will not press it again until my next hit). This first hit will be light...your second hit will be stronger. Keep your hits slow and steady and you won't suck material out of the bowl.

Give it a few tries...it might take you awhile to get a technique going. The FF is an excellent unit...once you find your rhythm with it you'll get great results.

mitchgo61,

fizzy1000

I thought I would share my initial impressions of the FF after using it for a few days. I've been using and experimenting with various herbal delivery devices for around 40 years or so, and have tried more than a few vaporizers.
I really like the feel and weight of the FF, very substantial and comfortable feeling while holding. Loading and stirring are easy enough, as others have stated a medium grind seems to work well for me. The initial few hits deliver the best tasting vapor I have ever had the pleasure of experiencing from any device I have used to date.
After 3 or 4 draws I stir and re-pack, at this point I have found the FF wiil combust if I hold the button down, release and then hold it down again too soon. Not a major combustion of the whole bowl, but small pieces will ignite. I can't really taste the burnt flavor much, but the evidence is in the remains. I can also detect small burnt spots under the screen. This has happened 3 or 4 times out of a dozen sessions or so.
So what I have found what works best for me is to use the FF for 5 or 6 great tasting draws, then use the remains in my Solo at a higher setting to finish off the herb without the minor combustion worries.
I have been getting 3 or 4 sessions per battery cycle and the re-charge takes a little less than an hour or so.
The FF to me is a welcome addition to my collection and will be my vape of choice for that initial bowl, the taste is absolutely wonderful on those first few pulls.

fizzy1000,

mitchgo61

Hi there I'm a newbie in vaporizers and after a lot of research I'm still hesitating, but with the PinnaclePro as first choice for now.
Anyway, I have seen great reviews for this new Firefly, but reading the thread it seems that this one is doing combustion, like the AtmosRaw. Shouldn't it be a disqualifying element (like it happens to be for the AtmosRaw in reviews)?

I can only speak for myself, but the combustion i experienced with my first unit appears to have been a malfunction of that specific FF. I've used my second one for a week, and no matter how hot I get the unit, or how dark I toast material, I haven't seen any combustion. (And given the stellar service FF seems to award its customers, if you *do* have a problem, rest assured they'll fix it fast. They seem obsessed with ensuring their early adopters have a great experience.)

... Im a one-hit-wonder with traditional pipes. I'm concerned that the pax requires too much material to work well and that it requires more cleaning that i'm willing to do. The firefly seems to be willing to work with less material and might have less maintenance required? Also doesn't look like a science experiment which is a big plus in my book (ie the solo). Can anyone yet get a sense of how often the screen needs to be changed? How gummy does this unit get? Also any further info on battery life is appreciated. Thanks all!

1. Screen stays pretty clean, if you brush out the dregs of your material. I can't envision having to change it anytime soon.
2. As noted, battery life isn't stellar. But I can get 25 LONG draws off one battery charge. If you are hitting it solo for small sessions, you'll be fine.
3. Works fine with small amounts around .1 grams.
4. It can get somewhat messy at the tail end of a session when material becomes more fine, but with practice you can keep it cleaner. SUPER easy to clean. Two surfaces that can be wiped with iso. That's it. The entire vapor path is exposed when you open the lid.

mitchgo61,

Vapetologist

HamsterDAMAGED
I don't recommend going against the manufacturers advice. Seriously. But if you find yourself in a pinch, and only have 100% cotton and concentrate, and you layer it p-e-r-f-e-c-t-l-y so that it can be absorbed above and below...

WHAM

It took a long first draw before everything was melted and really ready to go; on the extended second pull, it was fantastic.

My unit is working great and I found the learning curve to be quick, so I felt comfortable with giving it a test. I thought there was enough gap between the elements and the screen that it
shouldn't be a problem. That being said, putting cotton that close to those elements was DEFINITELY not what the Firefly was designed for.

So as such, I don't recommend using it for that purpose. Everyone will make their own decisions, but at the very least if something leaked down there where the sun does shine, you will probably ruin your device and warranty. And I like my lungs... I don't know what cotton tastes like and I sure don't want to ever find out. I'm happy it worked, but I probably won't do it again; it could go south too easily. Seriously folks, think about the downside - bad. Really bad. Is it worth it?

Like Sticks said...its super
convenient, works, and WOW. The reality is that sometimes we all need to MacGyver things, and its nice to know that if called upon in moments of dire need, and you have full mastery of the unit, it will deliver. Like a velvet hammer.

Lets hope this is just the first in a line of different models.

Vapetologist,

mitchgo61

Watch out for the rubber seal. I wiped mine lightly with a cotton towel and ISO and the darn thing came partly off. Appeared to be dirty under the rubber, I don't know, I let Sarah C. Know. I'll be sending them some pics.

This is interesting. I've been curious about this rubber material, and a little wary of it. It's essential to forming a seal, in some ways it's kind of the glue of the simple genius of the FF, and yet the most vulnerable part. We don't yet know how these things will fare over the course of months of heavy use. That seal, and however it's held in place, have to be very resilient.

As for cleaning, I would be circumspect in my use of iso on it, and have kept it pretty conservative and gentle. However, if you haven't seen the Cleaning Guide PDF, look at page 5. They show the seal being wiped directly with one of their iso wipes. Seems like an explicit OK to use iso on the seal.

http://www.thefirefly.com/skin/frontend/default/firefly/doc/firefly_cleaning_guide.pdf

mitchgo61,

mckeen

Tumrgrwer
I'd like to know if that's official advice, not to use the iso wipes for cleaning?

Sarah C. has sent me all the Fed X return stuff and she asked me not to use the iso wipes on the new unit, when I receive. I think there may be an issue with the glue and the seal itself. The adhesive stuck perfect to the plated steel surface but did not stick well to the seal itself.

"So did they have anything to say about it other than it shouldn't have happened?

So are you are saying that your overheating the device caused it? (was it just the one time ?)

Sarah said not to clean the lid?

Do you now have a better idea of why it happened, what caused it and how to avoid it?

Thanks",

They said it absolutly should not have happened. I only overheated the devise once. Sarah asked me not to use the iso wipes on the seal of my new unit. I think the adhesive is not sticking properly to the seal. Just be very gentle bacause once the edge starts pulling away it won't stop.

mckeen,

TimeCapsuleMonkey

I feel like I should chime in here as I am a Pax and Volcano owner who has now been using the FF for one day now. Also I am taking everything but cost into consideration here so...

FireFly vs Volcano: There is no comparison when inhaling from a Volcano Bag vs the FF, the Volcano is much easier, tastier, and smoother. Only the first inhale from the FF tastes great, as where with the Volcano the entire bag tastes good. Inhaling a full breath from the bag takes an effortless 2-3 seconds as where the FF takes 10 seconds of slow inhaling (you have to really work for each one). Also packing and unpacking the chamber is much easier with the Volcano, as with the FireFly it is a bit more messy because of brushing the lid and the chamber. And the FF chamber is quite small, only enough for 3-4 inhales. The Volcano is a far superior vaporizing experience at home. But if you only inhale very few times a day, are looking for something at home, and don't want to deal with baggies, then the Firefly is your guy!

FireFly vs Pax: Let me start with an advantage of the FireFly. It can give you a stronger inhale of vapor than the Pax. The Firefly might be a better at home vaporizer when compared to the Pax because you can control the heat to individual inhales, and also each one is stronger. You can also use it better with less. I can pack the Firefly, and with the preheat method I can get 2-3 strong inhales. The first one being the best. The downside to the Pax is that you have to pack a full chamber which uses a lot if your gonna do this a lot.

Other than that, this is not a great on the go device, heres why. First it is kind of awkward to hold, it is not that great holding this big thing in front of your face for 8 seconds. The Pax is much more easier to hold, the FireFly is kind of awkward to use on the go. The FireFly chamber is really small, only enough for 3 inhales, and thats about it. The Pax on the other hand has a large one so you can sit and constantly use it for about 15 minutes or so, but the downside is you need to finish it once you start usually. The Pax batteries last longer too. The Pax is easier to unload and load too, and I think just as easy or easier to maintain. People new to the device can easily use the Pax, as with the FireFly, chances are a novice might not be able to use it right. In regards to draw resistance, since the Pax is conduction, it is constantly generating vapor, so all you have to do is lightly sip it out every few seconds as with the FireFly you have to work a little to draw the vapor out since the vapor is only generated when the hot air rushes by. The draw resistance isn't that bad if you use the preheat method. Originally I didn't have the button pressed down on some inhales and I didn't notice because you can't really see the glow in the daytime when it is in front of your face. So I didn't think I was getting anything, but I figured it out. I am still learning how to use the device which goes with what VapeCritic was saying about an "advanced technique".

Overall, I think the pax is the best portable and the volcano is the best at home experience. And with the Volcano the vapor quality, ease of inhaling, and density is far superior.

The FireFly sits in a weird space between the Pax and the Volcano. It is slightly better in just a few things when compared to the Pax or Volcano. Sometimes I just might not feel like filling a baggy and I think it's at those times when the Firefly will really shine.

I still don't yet regret the purchase as it is a fun device to use sometimes but still the best home experience is the Volcano with the best portable experience being the Pax. Maybe I will change my mind as I intended to keep testing it out and learning how to best use it

I wanna share an update. At the time I made this review I found the FireFly hard to take a good draw from. Now since experimenting with a new technique described in earlier posts, I have been getting good draws without a ton of effort and it feels a bit better to use. More in line with the vapor the Pax produces but each inhale is stronger and tastes better.

TimeCapsuleMonkey,

mitchgo61

You aren't adjusting your draw, so you're still pulling too hard. The correction isn't to add another path for incoming air, it is to pull more gently. Your method results in a higher air-to-vapour ratio.

Having said that, if that's how you like to do it and it works for you, who am I to tell you that you're doing it wrong? I'm posting this not to correct you, but to explain what's going on so that people can choose for themselves.

Exactly. Thanks for codifying. People should find a technique that works for them...I'm just trying to mitigate the (ever-increasing) ambiguity on how it's *designed* to be used, and the risks of certain approaches.
When listening to the podcast from the creators, the draw technique was never to be a deterministic by design. So it is left up to the user.

You are correct, the podcast didn't mention it. But I have emails with detailed usage instructions from both of the founders/designers, which is where my "this is how it was designed" perspective comes from. Once I started following their detailed advice, I got much better, more consistent results. Perhaps they should publicly share the stuff they sent me in mail, but since they haven't, I'm trying to share what they told me here in FC.

Thanks for the input. So I should be seeing a significant cloud? Like smoke but dissipating like vapor?

Can you describe your draw technique? Like puliing a milkshake through a straw? Or like a standard breath but longer? Even slower? How long are you drawing?

Yes, in the early stages of a bowl, you can absolutely pull thick bong-like clouds, if you wish. More heat+longer, slower draw=bigger clouds.

I have described my drawing approach several times in this thread, but to summarize....

1. Press heat button. Wait 4-6 seconds. Enjoy looking at the glow.
2. Make a seal around the mouthpiece. Draw SLOWLY and GENTLY like you are "sipping tea" as they say with the MFLB. (though you don't need to draw that gently, in my experience...just a steady, EASY draw.)
3. Let off the heat button somewhere during the draw. Keep drawing to carb out all the vapor and air after you release. Don't even THINK about pressing the button again till the next draw.

How long to draw? You have to experiment. I can usually feel how big the hit is midway through, which is where I let off the button. I then continue to draw to finish the hit.

Keep at it. Experiment. You'll find a technique that works for you. It'll just take a few days.

mitchgo61,

volcanotips

Unapproved commercial account.
Long time lurker, first time poster. My previous vape credentials are an 8 year old Volcano Classic, used heavily daily and still going strong, a Plenty, and 2 MFLBs for travel.

I fell in love with the Firefly marketing and splurged for it after a few too many Volcano bags one night. I ordered the red, and the extra battery and charger kit.

I've had my cherry red Firefly for a week now, and just took it on a short trip.

The Vapor
Awesome. By varying technique you can get whatever type of vapor your heart desires. It seems to be very efficient and extracts impressively. I hold the button down, wait for orange glow and start slow long draw, letting off the button about half way through.

The Unit / Build Quality
This thing is a Cadillac and will turn heads wherever it goes. The fit and assembly are excellent. It's heavy in the hand. The magnetic lid snaps shut strong and authoritatively. Ergonomically it leaves a little to be desired for.

Using the Thing
I'm filling the chamber just up to the rim with loose medium grind material and stir occasionally with a toothpick. I do wish I could shake it like the MFLB but the chamber is just too small on this. I find that material gets stuck to the porthole on top and it seems this will require more frequent cleaning. If I was planning on using this for all my vaping needs, I think keeping it clean and tidy might get old fast.

Battery Life
Excellent. No complaints. Although the bar was really low for me after using peeled re-chargable AAs in the MFLB. I really like the perfect fit of the battery. It's a shame you can't use it tethered to the power adapter. That disqualifies this as a traveling party piece.

Customer Service
They were obviously a little overwhelmed, and I was disappointed when my pre-order hadn't shipped and yet they had units that were shipping out. I got a reply within a few days by email that they had run out and my order was shipping soon, and it did and then arrived quickly. I've now been waiting a week (albeit with holiday time in there) to find out where the accessories I paid for are... and have gotten no reply for a week, which is a little disappointing given the accolades by others in this thread.

Bottom Line
This is a very nice and capable portable vaporizer, that to me is everything I wished the MFLB would become. This will definitely replace the MFLB as my go to travel piece and supplement the Volcano occasionally. The product design is beautiful, and the construction seems built to last.

Would I Buy It Again?
In a heartbeat. Just wish they'd send or acknowledge my missing battery and external charger.

volcanotips,

dogchapman

I needed to RMA my firefly (#0014). The view-port gasket was protruding (pic) out of the box and quickly came dislodged. Sarah C immediately took care of it. Don't worry about the rejected emails - IT issue on their end. Try using the live-chat feature during PCT hours.

As for the firefly, I love it, can't wait to get it back.

vxiuzRN.jpg

dogchapman,

Custom Flower Hardware

Manufacturer
Ok gang I experimented with different load sizes and packs and here is my take on it:
I overfill the bowl a little and use a chapstick cap to tamp it down (sort of like my packing technique with the Cera) Not too tight, but a firm tamp nonetheless. While leaving the cap on top of the load I blow off any particles out from around the bowl. I then put the lid on and go to town. I found that with this technique the load does not shift around and no stirring is needed. The bowl will definitely last longer too, for the cloud chasers as well as the taste connoisseurs. The load drops out like a puck and is evenly brown throughout. This also keeps the glass window and vapor paths surprisingly cleaner then a small load. The smaller load works well too just a lot more particles get gummy and stick to the window. Just personal preference. I like SLIMS suggestion about a hot wipe with a hankie if handy and also I take a qtip out and swab out the glass window while warm to and this works great! The Firefly definitely has my solo and ascent on the shelf for now and has turned my Cera into strictly an EO and wax machine:razz: Man I've been waiting for this one for a long time! :nod:

Custom Flower Hardware,

EveryDayAmnesiac

I too have been experiencing extreme smoothness with the Firefly. I was a bit worried when I ordered about that but at this point the hits are so smooth that I am continually surprised by how much vapor comes out of me. I've been hitting by a spotlight because I was convinced at first that I wasn't getting any vapor, but I'm getting plenty.

The only time I have "felt the heat" from a hit is if I REALLY go for it or if I push the heat button a second time too quickly.

The first hit from a cold start can be a bit underwhelming, for me. But with a little technique I've been able to just hit it once from a cold start and feel medicated enough for social situations. But I tend to go for two or three since I can hit it so quickly again without making as big a smell as two or three hits will cause by me when using the Ascent.

I still love my Ascent, especially for nighttime knockouts through water and for sharing with friends, but the Firefly is definitely my go-to portable with the Ascent as its backup. And I have no qualms with shelling out more money for an external charger and a couple extra batteries.

The Firefly sure ain't cheap, but it is goddamn luxurious and worth every penny, in my opinion. I fucking love this thing. I just wish I had chosen the red one... :(

I am also getting better results with a little tamping down!

EveryDayAmnesiac,
Reactions: BSki
I'm pretty happy too. Its my first vape experience aside from a hit or two i took off an NO2 prior and I've since hit a Pax. I like the FF a lot as it suits my needs well. I was very close to buying a pax but the reviews indicated that it requires maintenance, that is can smell and most importantly that it burns through material quickly. That said the pax is ultra portable and durable and there's no learning curve making it a great vape for taking out to an event for a group to enjoy.

The FF is great for at home use for a casual toker. I'll take one or two hits and will do that every few hours throughout an evening. A bowl can last all night. The battery can last several days like this. There's literally no smell which works well with my family situation. The only time my wife has asked "what stinks?" was when I opened it to dump the ABV and that speaks volumes because she's got a nose like a blood hound. It heats immediately so you can take a quick toke and then get back to what you were doing. Also it conserves material better than any other method of consumption including a batty that I have found. In this sense, it's a true sneak-a-toke. It's not perfect for portable use because of battery life and it's somewhat conspicuous. it's not great for groups because people who haven't used it before aren't sure if they're getting hits or not. We had a group of 25+ year tokers sitting around with this thing on the first night laughing our asses off because we felt like it was our first time smoking again. The dialog was: Do you feel anything yet? I don't know man, do you? Did you get a hit? I'm not sure!

I have had to adjust my expectations of what happens when you consume however. My expectation after watching the various Vapecritics on youtube prior to purchase was to have these huge clouds similar to smoking. I definitely got that from the the pax. Made me cough. I assume this is what you call a hot hit on here. With the FF I do cough sometimes but I don't get these huge clouds. I do get clouds however. Many times I don't see a cloud but I still get a buzz and it's a perfect social buzz.

So IMO it's a great piece... but for MY needs. Your mileage may vary.

paul-is-dead,

Sinclue

OK disagree with me, I can't force you to be right
I thought mine was a battery problem, but reading the above perhaps its the FF itself.

I only get <2 bowls per charge. At about 3/4 through the second bowl it just shuts off. No lights. Nothing. Turn off, back on, no lights nothing.
Put it on the charger/get the pulsing blue charging light for about 30-40 minutes/then solid blue. And then it'll do the same thing.

I've never seen anything but blue or green lights. No other color.

Granted the bowl or bowl and 3/4 are quite nice with the FF, but not satisfactory given the price and hype. While an extra battery would be nice if I were getting 4+ bowls, it really reduces its portability factor if you have to carry it (not insubstantial weight/size) plus extra batteries if you are going to be out and about for a while. I can easily get 5+ bowls out of my Solo and don't need extra batteries plus I can easily charge it in my car.

I contacted them via their web page a couple of days ago about my issue, but have not heard anything back. Hadn't noticed the "Chat" feature (doesn't appear to be active on the weekend) and somebody was nice enough to post a phone number too. Problem being that its nearly impossible to do it at work. So I was hoping to get a response to my original inquiry before proceeding.

I see the FF description now says Li-ion not Li-Po for the battery. That's what I thought I was getting, but mine says Li-ion in a couple of places..
As to the difference a retired engineer friend sent me this:
Lithium ion is:
Higher in energy density.
Cheaper to manufacture.
But:
Heavier.
More rigid in shapes and styles.
More internal resistance, for slower discharging, and lower amperages.
Has greater aging, even if not used for 1 year.
More explosive, so requires an IC circuit.

Lithium polymer is:
Lighter.
Moulderble, and flatter shapes.
Less internal resistance for faster discharging and higher amperages, at up to 65C continuously, or 135C in bursts!!!
By comparison, a typical RCR chemistry 18650 can only discharge at up to 5.8 amps.
While an IMR chemistry 18650 at 2000 mAH will discharge at up to 10 amps, though an IMR chemistry 18650 at a puny 1600 mAH can discharge at up to 15C, but for the diminished capacity.
Has less self aging, even if not used.
Less explosive, so no IC circuit required.
But:
Less energy density.
Expensive to manufacture.

Thus, LiPo is used in radio controlled cars for their lighter weight and faster discharge rates, for massive amperages, for more power.
LiPo is used in mobile phones especially for their flatter shape, and their lighter weight.
While Lion is used in flashlights for their greater energy density for longer run times.

Does that sound about right?

Sinclue,

EveryDayAmnesiac

I received my Firefly earlier today and I've run a few bowls through it now. Should it require a faster draw to avoid charring? Because mine does. I think SliM said somewhere in this thread that he had to speed his draw up from what he had anticipated. I'm thinking I'm discovering the same thing.

I have found that I'm only drawing too hard when I can hear it. Anything less than that, which can still be a pretty decent speed - faster than you might expect and faster than I can with my Ascent - is fine, for me.

Boosh! :rockon:

EveryDayAmnesiac,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom