Beck Heads?

Zaireeka

extremechick said:
I've known for awhile now he was a Scientologist. Yeah, it's a weird religion, but aren't they all?
I've known, too, and I personally don't care. It doesn't seem to interfere with the music at all. Plus, my understanding is that Beck is basically a Scientologist in name only, i.e. isn't really practicing it. Kinda like those folks who only attend church on Christmas and Easter :D No matter what the case is, I know that Beck prefers not to discuss his relationship with Scientology. I thought I read that he was forced into it as a child by his father (correct me if I'm wrong?), so maybe he is stuck in it and just hates it.

Anyway, on the happier things...

Mutations is my personal favorite by him. It has so many of my favorite Beck tunes: "Lazy Flies," "We Live Again," "Tropicalia," and "Static" are all GREAT songs. I also have a bit of sentimental attachment to it, because it was one of the first Beck CDs I'd ever heard.

After that I think my order goes: Sea Change, The Information, Odelay, and then Guero. I haven't heard stuff from his other albums. Actually, I have heard some of Modern Guilt but I haven't listened to it enough to make any judgment on it yet.

I can't wait for him to make a follow-up (of sorts) to what he started on Mutations and Sea Change. I think those two albums really showcase Beck The Artist rather than Beck The Party Guy. I also love the production work by Nigel Godrich on The Information. For those of you that don't know, Nigel Godrich does the production for nearly all of Radiohead's albums and he does a fantastic job.

I also think it would be cool if Beck did an album with Dave Friedmann (producer of The Flaming Lips' albums The Soft Bulletin through their latest, At War With The Mystics, as well as being a member and producer of the band Mercury Rev). Both The Flaming Lips and Mercury Rev have a lot of psychedelic stuff going on in their music, and I think that with Friedmann at the helm, Beck would be enabled to do some really cool things. Plus, it would be a neat direction through some of the greatest producers of our time: from Godrich to Dangermouse (Modern Guilt) to Friedmann. That would make for one hell of a trilogy!

Zaireeka,

extremechick

Zaireeka said:
extremechick said:
I've known for awhile now he was a Scientologist. Yeah, it's a weird religion, but aren't they all?
I've known, too, and I personally don't care. It doesn't seem to interfere with the music at all. Plus, my understanding is that Beck is basically a Scientologist in name only, i.e. isn't really practicing it. Kinda like those folks who only attend church on Christmas and Easter :D No matter what the case is, I know that Beck prefers not to discuss his relationship with Scientology. I thought I read that he was forced into it as a child by his father (correct me if I'm wrong?), so maybe he is stuck in it and just hates it.

Anyway, on the happier things...

Mutations is my personal favorite by him. It has so many of my favorite Beck tunes: "Lazy Flies," "We Live Again," "Tropicalia," and "Static" are all GREAT songs. I also have a bit of sentimental attachment to it, because it was one of the first Beck CDs I'd ever heard.

After that I think my order goes: Sea Change, The Information, Odelay, and then Guero. I haven't heard stuff from his other albums. Actually, I have heard some of Modern Guilt but I haven't listened to it enough to make any judgment on it yet.

I can't wait for him to make a follow-up (of sorts) to what he started on Mutations and Sea Change. I think those two albums really showcase Beck The Artist rather than Beck The Party Guy. I also love the production work by Nigel Godrich on The Information. For those of you that don't know, Nigel Godrich does the production for nearly all of Radiohead's albums and he does a fantastic job.

I also think it would be cool if Beck did an album with Dave Friedmann (producer of The Flaming Lips' albums The Soft Bulletin through their latest, At War With The Mystics, as well as being a member and producer of the band Mercury Rev). Both The Flaming Lips and Mercury Rev have a lot of psychedelic stuff going on in their music, and I think that with Friedmann at the helm, Beck would be enabled to do some really cool things. Plus, it would be a neat direction through some of the greatest producers of our time: from Godrich to Dangermouse (Modern Guilt) to Friedmann. That would make for one hell of a trilogy!
I've heard the same thing, Z; like most parents do, force their kids to adhere to their beliefs. I actually suspected it after hearing some of his songs speak of spaceships.

And thanks for all that great info :peace:

I just found me a bottle of blues
Some strange comfort for a soul to soothe

extremechick,

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
Where did you hear it? I'd like to read it... I've been researching a lot on Beck & his scientology links, since, well, fuck, it's disheartening. Scientology is a cult. Everything seems to say the same thing, he's a Scientologist and proud. He's taken classes and reached the level of 'Clear' (Whatever that means :lol: ). His parents were frequently published in Scientology magazines and Beck himself is listed as a 'Patron to Scientology'.

http://www.lermanet.com/beck/

http://www.scientology-lies.com/faq/celebrities/beck.html

:/

Shits ridiculous... but I still like his music.

SpiralArchitect,

extremechick

SpiralArchitect said:
Where did you hear it? I'd like to read it... I've been researching a lot on Beck & his scientology links, since, well, fuck, it's disheartening. Scientology is a cult. Everything seems to say the same thing, he's a Scientologist and proud. He's taken classes and reached the level of 'Clear' (Whatever that means :lol: ). His parents were frequently published in Scientology magazines and Beck himself is listed as a 'Patron to Scientology'.

I honestly can't remember how long ago it was that I was hearing he was a scientologist; I've been following him since Mellow Gold. But, like I said, I would have suspected it anyway in some of his lyrics.

I personally think ANY religion is a cult. Oh, and that link said "clear" meant he no longer has a reactive mind, he is free of psychosomatic illnesses. That explains their stance against psychology and mental illness a little better, I think. They wouldn't like me :p

extremechick,

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
I wouldn't go as far to say any religion is a cult. That is absolutely stretching the limits of a words definition and using a 'blanket term'. Although that is semantics, so we won't get into it....

Scientology is fucked up though, here is a good video if your not familiar with them

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCGP-0545EU

L Ron Hubbard, their founder, a science-fiction writer;

"?If you want to make a little money, write a book. If you want to make a lot of money, create a religion.?

SpiralArchitect,

extremechick

SpiralArchitect said:
I wouldn't go as far to say any religion is a cult. That is absolutely stretching the limits of a words definition and using a 'blanket term'. Although that is semantics, so we won't get into it....
SpiralArchitect said:
Scientology is fucked up though, here is a good video if your not familiar with them

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCGP-0545EU

L Ron Hubbard, their founder, a science-fiction writer;

"?If you want to make a little money, write a book. If you want to make a lot of money, create a religion.?
Well, like I said, SA, PERSONALLY I think any religion is a cult. Just my humble opinion...we can agree to disagree.

extremechick,

extremechick

Listen very closely to the very beginning of Gamma Ray, right before the lyrics begin....you hear him simulating pulling in and holding smoke....very obvious

extremechick,

Purple-Days

OK, I finally heard the commercial. Would you believe... E-surance, the cartoon commercials. It's not from Odelay, must have been one of the Beck tunes from the radio, but deffinetly Beck. FFFarking awful.

Purple-Days,

ILoveRadiohead!

extremechick said:
SpiralArchitect said:

I honestly can't remember how long ago it was that I was hearing he was a scientologist; I've been following him since Mellow Gold. But, like I said, I would have suspected it anyway in some of his lyrics.
I was disappointed when I heard he was a scientologist but according to those links SA posted he can't bear the full blame since he was surely indoctrinated fully by his parents.
Beck's parents, David Campbell and Bibbe Hansen, were Scientologists when he was born, and he was raised as a Scientologist. As a child he attended the Apple School of Los Feliz, which was run by Scientologists.
extremechick said:
I personally think ANY religion is a cult.
I would have to agree that many or most religions are "cultish" in nature. Generally an accident of where you are born and who you are born too, religion type is passed down through the parentage of a child starting at an early age without any sort of doubt of the teachings. Reason and rational thought are usually not part of the process.

ILoveRadiohead!,

extremechick

Purple-Days said:
OK, I finally heard the commercial. Would you believe... E-surance, the cartoon commercials. It's not from Odelay, must have been one of the Beck tunes from the radio, but deffinetly Beck. FFFarking awful.
Trying to find it on youtube...those e-surance commercials suck :|

extremechick,

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
My mom was religious and my entire family is devout Catholics..... it certainly didn't rub off on me! Beck is a big boy, he can make his own choices and he obviously has... Scientology, E-Surance.... :/

I get sick of hearing people say ' oh, its not your fault your x, or y religion because your Mommy and Daddy were ' ---- WTF? What? You just 'inherit' spiritual beliefs? :rolleyes: blahhhh! total BS....

People need to start thinking for themselves.

SpiralArchitect,

max

Out to lunch
I get sick of hearing people say ' oh, its not your fault your x, or y religion because your Mommy and Daddy were ' ---- WTF? What? You just 'inherit' spiritual beliefs?
No, you get brainwashed. :lol: Call it imprinting, educating, whatever label suits you. 'This is what I/we believe/practice, and you should believe/practice it too'. If you're lucky you get open minded parents that will encourage you to find your own beliefs, but I think that's kind of rare.

People need to start thinking for themselves.
Yep. But too many of us just accept what's poured into our heads and never question it. Glad you were smart enough to find your own direction.

max,

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
Yeah, it's a shame really max. My mom didn't try to force her beliefs on me. I guess I am lucky. I'm a very spiritual person....

max said:
But too many of us just accept what's poured into our heads and never question it.
I know... and this is why I think humanity is inevitably doomed.

SpiralArchitect,

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
What do you mean? We are just talking. :)

:peace: & <3 & Beck

2hd3a81.jpg

SpiralArchitect,

HiC

Hey, I'm a big Beck and Ween fan too! First time I ever heard of Beck I saw him on MTV's 120 Minutes back in '94 right before he released Mellow Gold. He was so freaking odd I just bonded with him immediately. He played "Pay No Mind" on that show, I believe, and I loved it and picked up the album the day it was released. I actually haven't really listened to his last two albums yet as I've been taking a big break from music in general lately, but what I have heard is interesting. Teaming up with Danger Mouse is a great choice. As for his involvement in Scientology, that was a big shock to me too. In his earlier work, he frequently mocked all things "New Age" so it's pretty surprising he's "one of them." Well, like others have said, he was born into the church so his head was probably a bit fucked up by it. I can only imagine how confused Tom Cruise's kids must be having been heavily involved their whole lives. As for Ween, Pure Guava was my intro album back around the same time I discovered Beck. "Little Birdy" has gotta be one of my favorite bouncy little stoner diddies ever. I actually got to see Ween open up for Beck back in the mid-90s. Ween had their honky-tonk all-stars line-up at the time. Great show!

HiC,
Top Bottom