awesome byproduct of vaping: making hash

robert denby

So I have been visiting this site since December (about when I converted to vaping), and over time and over the coarse of a few devices I have found that I keep coming up with large amounts of thc oil and kief.
the kief is because it seems better to de-kief the weed before putting it into any of the vapes i have in the house (zephyr, mflb, no2), and the oil is obviously from regular use.
so my roommate found and interesting way to combine the 2 to make some nice dark hash.
essentially he started out with a spot or two of oil in the bottom most compartment of a screened metal grinder. next add some kief.
then he puts the zyphyr on 100 deg celius and sits the dish on the ceramic top part.
after it gets soft and warm you can take it off the zephyr and use something hard and flat (ive been using a 100g weight) to press down hard on the kief and oil. then peel that off your weight and fold it in half and press it again.
essentially you can keep adding kief to it and with some heat and a little pressure just keep pressing it into what turns into dark black/green hash.
i have made a few grams of it so far, and when you use it... whoa man!
it seems with the setup i am using that you cant work well with the hash if it becomes too big so you must finish it in chunks and then leave a little left behind to add kief to and make more.
i love vaping, and i am a true convert, but i still havent found a decent enough way to vape hash so its the only think left i still smoke. and it is a rare treat when i decide to rock it!

just a tip for anyone wondering what to do with all this extra oil and kief, aside from cooking of course!

robert denby,

wake n blake

A Weed Nerd
you should check out the pollen press thread... for $25 you could get a clay extruder from Michaels and it makes pressing much easier... plus, with the extruder, you can save your oil for its own use, as the etruder will press the keif into hash cakes... I save up a gram and press... gets about the size of a few dimes stacked together... your way is fine... just a little heads up if you ever wanted to make it a bit easier (plus the finished cake looks like commercial hash in that its pressed and formed and ready to go.

maybe you could shed some light on something for me, though... how exactly do you get the oil out of the bottom of your mflb?

wake n blake,

MyrtleDaTurtle

I have seen pollen presses as cheap as 10 dollars. Go to micheals they should have it for that cheap.

MyrtleDaTurtle,

robert denby

yeah i could go those ways with the extra equip, but this seems to be working just fine for me

i dont get a ton of oil out my box, but at 7-10 tenches a day the hole gets chunky brown goo all up in it.
i just use a toothpick and clean out the hole.
add that to my collection!

sometimes when im using the stem it gets gooey so i soak that in 151 for 5-10 mins and put a qtip thru it and its done

its mainly the zephyr that spews out the oil. that shit gets mad daily usage too...

robert denby,
Puffitup has a press for like 10 or 12 dollars shipped, before forum discount. Great site too.

Herbalaire is a undesired hash build up nightmare, you have to clean it every few days of heavy usage or it gets rather messy handling the unit and its parts. Good vape, though.

charliedontsurf,

VWFringe

Naruto Fan
robert denby said:
....wondering what to do with all this extra oil and kief

I took that out of context, but...I wish I had those problems, lol

THC oil is a pain,

so how 'bout pictures?

does the THC oil make it stick to everything?

EDIT: I re-read the OP - do I understand the consensus is to use a pollen press instead of the long pain-staking process of collecting tiny bits of THC oil by the process you detail? it does sound like a lot of time is involved in making that hash, kind of your own personal Nepalese Temple Ball, in process. you should definitely take pictures.

VWFringe,

toxicc

E11001420
add a drop of water to it while mixing, it will makes it easier to mix together and there will be less oil stuck to your fingers.

toxicc,

OO

Technical Skeptical
if you want to minimize the loss of concentrate, you could collect the concentrate on a piece of foil, and use the foil in the zephr.

that way 100 percent of what is recovered will get vaped.

foil should be safe in the zephr if its design is at all similar to that of the HA.

i looked at a youtube video, and i think the design of the bowl in the zephyr is even better than the one in the HA, because the crucible has a handle.

so yes, give this a shot.

OO,
Top Bottom