Are Weed Vape Pens Safe?

Vape Donkey 650

All vape, no smoke please.
3 easy solutions to all of the problems raised in that article:

1. buy concentrates from trusted brands / manufacturers that only source quality cannabis not tainted with pesticides, fungicides, contaminants, etc. If you want to vape concentrates on a tank, only use co2 or distillate oils, which do not need to be thinned to use in a tank, avoiding the unnecessary use of unhealthy PG/PEG. Save the shatter and wax for load-as-you-go attys

2. Use an atomizer (tank, load-as-you-go) that only has appropriate, safe, materials in its construction. Ceramics, stainless steel, glass, high-temp silicon gaskets. No inappropriate plastics or glues or metals. There are plenty of quality atomizers out there that many FC members know about and use daily, and also lots of crappy ones with suspect materials that are made by companies that have no regard for your health. (Do I have to list some of them again?) A little time spent on research and a critical eye can easily separate the good from the bad.

3. USE TEMP CONTROL MODS PEOPLE!

Even the cleanest medicine emits toxic, carcinogenic crap when you heat it well above 500F

Those little unregulated pen batteries that so many people seem to prefer (box mods are so big and ugly and expensive and hard to use :rolleyes: they say...sigh) have little to no control over the power and heat of your atomizer, and will easily over-heat your oils without you even trying or knowing. voltage / wattage control is not temp control. Get a good temp control box mod, pair it with a proper sub-ohm atomizer that can be temp controlled, and voila! your over-heating problems are gone! You can easily dial in from low-temp tasty to possibly over-hot (but not necessarily combusting) super clouds!

These things are not that expensive ($30-40 starting) nor are they necessarily that big or hard to set up.

There is a valid set of concerns I see brought up in this article and by FC members all the time. They are real. But with due diligence over your medical sourcing, and by upgrading outdated "vape pen" myths into the modern, 2014-era of vaping gear (yes, TC mods have been popular at least that long) you can easily be safely vaping, in tanks too!

Many of the valid topics and misinformation in that article come up every week at FC, but I don't have the time or energy to try to correct it every time. :( Smoking joints is clearly way more unhealthy than using a proper "vape pen" with good stuff in it..not even close.

Last edited:

cannabis.pro

aka 420EDC
Accessory Maker
@Vape Donkey 650 great advice and spot-on.

I'm also corresponding with the author and one of the folks she interviewed in this article. My concern is her bias against dry flower vaporizers that is mentioned early in the article. After a brief dialogue with her on Twitter around this via DM, she left the conversation. According to her "That's my opinion- I've tried lots and lots of flower vapes- the only one I ever liked was the Pax"

I consider Pax antiquated tech at this point but looks like this journalist has made up her mind and doesn't want to learn about any newer technology. Brushing off flower vapes with a Pax bias isn't helping patients in New York State who are forced into buying these vape cartridge based pens for $180 per 1/2 gram cart. Meanwhile in California, a similar cart could be found for $25-$30. Pennsylvania and other states East of the Mississippi are being forced into the technology highlighted in this article.

If patients in those states could be buying quality flowers for $7/gram (or less) and given the ability to use a flower vaporizer, they would be better off financially and likely better off than sucking on a cartridge off the boat from Shenzen filled with who knows what quality of material.

Perhaps in these times journalists for Rolling Stone can be as biased as the music critics from the 70s who trashed Led Zeppelin albums. /rant

Diggy Smalls

Notorious
Led Zeppelin ripped off their music from other artists, so in my eyes they don't deserve praise lol
Anyway, I totally agree about the availability of flower and general lack of understanding regarding herbal vaporizers.

Diggy Smalls,

crawdad

floatin
just have to do your research, so many options out there. i do have a pen for flower (can be used with oil with a simple drop in attachment) and only gets to 390-f, about 10 hours on a charge, load as you go is all i know. i just wish the green light on it wasnt so bright, i can just about use it as a flashlight at night which is hardly stealth lol.

C No Ego

Well- this Dude bought a $5 vape Pen with a $90 cartridge and Thought IT was Safe!?! Wisdom people- Wisdom

C No Ego,
Reactions: macbill

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
For flower, I suggest a $50 Dyna Vapcap "M", however, it is not real discreet: you heat an area with a torch lighter until the Vapcap "clicks" - you have arrived. Hit it like it's 1999. There is a carb for more control of cool airflow. Keep carb covered for concentrated hits.

Top Bottom