Anyone in the UK that can cut thick borosilicate glass tube?

Haze Mister

Verdant Bloomer
Manufacturer
I have a couple of stems that I want to cut into smaller pieces to use as GonG adapters for my e-nano. Can anyone help out? I tried a cheap tube cutter from ebay but it seems to be about 3mm thick and I cannot cut without breaking.... can offer something for your time...Thanks

Haze Mister,

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
You should be able to do it with your tube cutter I think. The idea is that you just need to score the glass all around, pre-creating the fracture line. Then you cover it with a tissue so you don't get hurt and while holding one part you do one moderate blow or a snap action with your other hand, and it should separate and break cleanly at the fracture point.

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
i used to BIC the score, wrap with a squeezed out damp cloth to contain any glass fragment splatter, and try to snap. very inconsistent results requiring grinding to get rid of jaggies (spouse is into stained glass and has useful equipment). takes a lot of practice.

scy123

Trusted Member Don't Worry
Dunno if it works with borosilicate but regular glass you can use heat and cooling to break it apart after scoring.

scy123,
Reactions: arb

Haze Mister

Verdant Bloomer
Manufacturer
I'm thinking to finally buy myself a Dremel as I have been wanting one for years. There's a diamond cutting disc attachment for it... that should work, yes? But then I will need to think about glass dust...:\

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
You need to cut using eye and respiratory protections and better under running water (your faucet) Glass dust is bad.

arb

Semi shaved ape
Just buy a wet saw dude by the time you buy all the protection and Dremel you have a good one.

Then grab a cheap diamond wheel and done.

arb,

scy123

Trusted Member Don't Worry
Don't know how it is in the UK, but here, their are actually a lot of custom glass (usually for windows) cutting places. They probably won't charge you much to cut a couple of tubes.

scy123,

Cheebsy

Microbe minion
I'm thinking to finally buy myself a Dremel as I have been wanting one for years. There's a diamond cutting disc attachment for it... that should work, yes? But then I will need to think about glass dust...:\
Get one mate, the diamond wheel works fine and you'll probably find a billion other uses for the Dremel if your a tinkerer are heart

Cheebsy,

Haze Mister

Verdant Bloomer
Manufacturer
Yeah i think I'll need to if I want to cut glass tube... my attempts with the cheaper methods have so far been an abject failure.

This one here was with the "score, then torch, then put in cold water " method... The break completey ignored my scoring :lol:... probably shoulda used a jet lighter instead of a torch so as to heat up the cut more precisely?
20200822_110334.jpg

Haze Mister,
Top Bottom