• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Anyone else having trouble with dhgate's website? :/

Haze Mister

Verdant Bloomer
Manufacturer
I am experiencing massive slow downs with both Firefox and Opera (which is Chrome-based) browsers after using the dhgate site for a little while...so the site has become almost unusable, especially their chat system. Seems that the only way to contact sellers now is via the chat , which opens in a separate window but seems to get stuck all the time recently.
I got around 140 cookies from dhgate yesterday... :disgust: Are they running a bitcoin miner or something???
Today I cannot even login and have to close the dhgate tab and/or quit the browser to recover functionality...

Last edited:
Haze Mister,
Reactions: LesPlenty

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
I've only been using the app on my phone without any issue

Shit Snacks,

LesPlenty

Company Rep
I am experiencing massive slow downs
Yep, I had to turn my Adblock off on Chrome as it would get up to about 1500 blocked ads on a page before locking up completely.
It now still runs pretty slow at times and causes my computer fans to ramp up...no idea why.

Haze Mister

Verdant Bloomer
Manufacturer
There seems to be stuff going on under the hood while we look at shiny glass pieces.
I've only been using the app on my phone without any issue
Yes, they are certainly VERY keen on people using the app and not a browser... I wonder why that is...
Could it have something to do with their app not being open source (and hence able to do things without users knowing), I wonder! Now, they wouldn't possibly use the app to harvest metadata (if not personal details) and sell it to data mining companies, would they ? Apparently things get quite lucrative when the consumer base is very large...

:sherlock:

Both of my browsers run at full speed on every other site I visit. This near-freeze only happens a minute or two after I open a dhgate tab.... I think this needs taking to reddit.

Last edited:

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Reddit lol :tinfoil:

I don't know that would really suck if the app is doing stuff and taking stuff when not in use, my phone does not seem to indicate as much, but I guess I don't really know how to know... Sketchy enough that I wanted to use temporary card numbers for all my purchases the past couple years, feels like such a necessary evil to get the goods...?

Haze Mister

Verdant Bloomer
Manufacturer
Reddit lol
There is bound to be an IT savvy geek there who can identify WTF they are doing and find ways around it... I can no longer use the site at all.

EDIT: I seem to have managed to get in by clicking on a link to get away from the front page and THEN logging in, which brings up a log-in page and not just a pop-up.
The fuckery seems to be happening at the front page....

Last edited:

Abele Rizieri Ferrari

On iPhone the app only has limited access to data. Not even to my card details. Websites are also great at data mining unless you take precautions, so not sure if there's a real difference in risk. Android may be different of course.

Also there have been some issues with privacy that seemed to circumvent privacy settings, I believe FB app or some other Meta app was sending all sorts of data during the night, but that was a while ago. Apple is using privacy for marketing so I hope they got their shit together.

Abele Rizieri Ferrari,
Reactions: Shit Snacks

Abele Rizieri Ferrari

Pretty sure they hand stuff over to the US gov whenever asked so another win for Android.
Another win? Haha well that depends, does google, whose services part of most android phones, not hand over this data? From a quick search it does seem that Apple complies with relatively more requests, but it's not like Android scores a win when it's not that far behind. Oh well, it's an os for a phone so who cares :lol:

Abele Rizieri Ferrari,

XpeeN

they are certainly VERY keen on people using the app and not a browser... I wonder why that is...
Like most corps with app. You can use Exodus to check how many trackers an app has. I'm trying to use the web version with ff+unlock origin or bromite whenever possible.
I know its offtopic but since we talked about it, please use guides like privacyguides.org to improve your privacy.

BTW, I have no issues with dhgate's website

Edit: god damn it, last thing I promise haha
Use tools like trackercontrol to block shady and tracking/analytical connections. It also scans with exodus as soon as you install an app and let you know what's going on.

Last edited:
XpeeN,

LesPlenty

Company Rep
Haha well that depends, does google, whose services part of most android phones, not hand over this data?
Never used google on my phone, I am talking about Apple handing over your texts, call logs etc to the US or any gov that asks them.
Also, what sort of ass wipe company would brick your device if I try to swap the battery myself?

LesPlenty,
Reactions: XpeeN

Abele Rizieri Ferrari

Never used google on my phone
I wasn't talking about you, that's why I specified that its services are used on most android phones.

I am talking about Apple handing over your texts, call logs etc to the US or any gov that asks them.
I know, and I was comparing that with how google does that exact same thing as well.

Also, what sort of ass wipe company would brick your device if I try to swap the battery myself?
All major companies are fucked up. I personally am more appalled by the use of slavery by these corpo's.

But this os a vs b is too unimportant an issue to me to waste more posts on ;)

Abele Rizieri Ferrari,
  • Haha
Reactions: LesPlenty

Haze Mister

Verdant Bloomer
Manufacturer
So I found a solution and it is to accept the coupon offer (or whatever it is) pop-up that appears when you first load the front page- this takes you to another page and everything including login works OK from there. Thanks for the tips.

I thing good privacy and security things are people-compiled (and updated) hosts files such as someonewhocares.org/hosts, and app firewalls. TinyWall on windoze, HandsOff on Mac and NoRoot Firewall on android. These will simply block internet acces for all apps on your machine except the apps (and even system processes if you want) you explicitly allow. I cannot conceive of going online without at least one of these filters. I do go overboard with privacy plugins on Firefox sometimes. Most commercial sites don't work with some of those.
Pretty sure they hand stuff over to the US gov whenever asked so another win for Android.
Another win? Haha well that depends, does google, whose services part of most android phones, not hand over this data? From a quick search it does seem that Apple complies with relatively more requests, but it's not like Android scores a win when it's not that far behind. Oh well, it's an os for a phone so who cares
As fas as i can see google IS the US gov/ CIA/ NSA etc behind a corporate facade. Where else would google have gotten the resoures and the political power to do what they have done? (photograph entire cities and essentially capture the internet). Android is supposed to be open source but unless you are geeky enough to root your phone and know how to secure it, it's still loaded with google spyware on most phones.

It could become a rather serious problem once you need a phone to exist in society. :(

Last edited:
Top Bottom