Anyone else getting anxiety or panic over CHS?

kadjo

Just wanted to start a thread to hear some of the community's thoughts on this issue. It seems to be in the news more frequently as of late. Has it impacted your use? Are you getting psychosomatic nausea everytime its mentioned?

I saw a user who was selling vapes as he had been affected by CHS and it actually made me really sad. This community and vape collecting as a hobby has been a really positive experience.

I guess I'm just looking to get out of the echo chamber In my head bu asking here.

Relaxed

This Space For Rent
Why would you panic? The media has blown this way out of proportion with the non stop dramatic coverage. The high risk people for serious complications are the same with the normal flu, elderly and those with other health and immunity issues. Yes, it's very contagious. Wash your hands vigorously and don't touch your face. Simple precautions.

Something to keep it in perspective. The regular flu season this year has sickened at least 19 million across the U.S. and led to 10,000 deaths and 180,000 hospitalizations. Do you see that in the headlines?

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
My buddies going through it right now, if you're diabetic CHS is no joke, you get so dehydrated it's basically impossible to recover without IV fluids. By the time he went in to the hospital his blood sugar was over 600 and in diabetic ketoacidosis.
He had never even heard of it, after researching the symptoms he thinks he's had it for over 10 years. They were definitely familiar with it at the ER here in California.

I think in most cases it comes from extremely high usage though. I don't think the average vaper has much to be worried about.

invertedisdead,
Reactions: Madri-Gal

kadjo

Why would you panic? The media has blown this way out of proportion with the non stop dramatic coverage. The high risk people for serious complications are the same with the normal flu, elderly and those with other health and immunity issues. Yes, it's very contagious. Wash your hands vigorously and don't touch your face. Simple precautions.

Something to keep it in perspective. The regular flu season this year has sickened at least 19 million across the U.S. and led to 10,000 deaths and 180,000 hospitalizations. Do you see that in the headlines?

I'm not talking about Coronavirus I'm talking Cannabinoid Hyperemesis Syndrome. A condition that affects chronic cannabis users.

I agree coronavirus is being totally blown up in the media

howie105

Its really hard for me to wrap my head around the situation because there so many different numbers and assessments being presented. Till there is something solid I am defaulting back to what am I see out my window, which is none of the users I know have been struck down so there is no reason for me to get excited.

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
Knock on wood, throw some salt over my shoulder, I never ever think about CHS because I know no one who has it, and as a chronic user since my teens (67 now), have never felt the symptoms of CHS. I've only read about it, basically here on FC. I don't doubt its existence, however.

Krazy

I'm not talking about Coronavirus I'm talking Cannabinoid Hyperemesis Syndrome. A condition that affects chronic cannabis users.

I agree coronavirus is being totally blown up in the media
So are you saying that Coronavirus causes Cannabinoid Hyperemesis Syndrome or that Coronavirus causes Cannabinoid Hyperemesis Syndrome?

:goat:

Krazy,

Madri-Gal

Child Of The Revolution
I have zero anxiety or concern about CHS. I've had unrelated hyperemesis, and wouldn't wish it on anyone. I've had hyperemesis, and have no reason to expect CHS. There are many ailments, infirmities and disabilities, and I prevent what I can, deal with what I have, and don't dwell on those I don't have. There is illness in the world, but there are also kittens, and flowers, and fast cars and good music. Why would I worry about CHS? Cannabis works for me. I'm going to let it do it's job, and not worry.

BestBuds

The Dude
Just wanted to start a thread to hear some of the community's thoughts on this issue. It seems to be in the news more frequently as of late. Has it impacted your use? Are you getting psychosomatic nausea everytime its mentioned?

I saw a user who was selling vapes as he had been affected by CHS and it actually made me really sad. This community and vape collecting as a hobby has been a really positive experience.

I guess I'm just looking to get out of the echo chamber In my head bu asking here.
Yes, before I was properly educated on the subject, I was really concerned about it.
But after talking to my doctor and the pharmacist at my dispensary they gave me some reference material and I saw that my .75 to 1 gm a day was nothing.
Like others have alluded to, chs is a beast but not very common with our group.

Honestly a little moderation is always a good thing anyway. At least thats what I have learned.

kadjo

So are you saying that Coronavirus causes Cannabinoid Hyperemesis Syndrome or that Coronavirus causes Cannabinoid Hyperemesis Syndrome?

:goat:

No, I am not implying that there is any connection between these two diseases.

Secondly thank you everyone. Your responses have been really helpful. I had searched for this topic with the search tool and nothing came up. That was actually surprising. I have since found some other threads and read some more on the topic. I also found the medical discussion boards.

Once again the vape community demonstrating the depth and breadth of its collective knowledge.

Yes, before I was properly educated on the subject, I was really concerned about it.
But after talking to my doctor and the pharmacist at my dispensary they gave me some reference material and I saw that my .75 to 1 gm a day was nothing.
Like others have alluded to, chs is a beast but not very common with our group.

Honestly a little moderation is always a good thing anyway. At least thats what I have learned.

Thank you! What is the volume at which one should worry about this or that is considered "high volume" ? 3.5g+? 7g? I know there is no definitive answer just curious what range was outlined by the pharmacist and doctor. (I'm asking this to my colloquial knowledge, not holding you accountable for any medical advice ;) )

Last edited by a moderator:

BestBuds

The Dude
Thank you! What is the volume at which one should worry about this or that is considered "high volume" ? 3.5g+? 7g? I know there is no definitive answer just curious what range was outlined by the pharmacist and doctor. (I'm asking this to my colloquial knowledge, not holding you accountable for any medical advice ;) )
I never actually tried to figure that out. :huh: But it would far exceed what I will ever use. Unless I got into extracts hardcore, but that's not really my style. I love my flower too much.
I have held steady between 1 to 1 ½g a day for about 2 years now. I take a t break every 3 months or so (I do the Dr sulak resensitization method on YouTube) and I can tell that my body likes the 1 gram a day range naturally. :love:

If I was to guess what would be too much for me personally I would reveal myself a fool:cool:. I'd rather stay silent. :nod:

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
I never actually tried to figure that out. :huh: But it would far exceed what I will ever use. Unless I got into extracts hardcore, but that's not really my style. I love my flower too much.
I have held steady between 1 to 1 ½g a day for about 2 years now. I take a t break every 3 months or so (I do the Dr sulak resensitization method on YouTube) and I can tell that my body likes the 1 gram a day range naturally. :love:

If I was to guess what would be too much for me personally I would reveal myself a fool:cool:. I'd rather stay silent. :nod:

I don't mean this in any negative way cause I use just as much, but if you read from people that have CHS, those amounts could definitely cause it. My friend has been using herb for over 40 years, vaping for nearly 20 - it can come on at any time.

Flower vapor is already a concentrate, you don't have to be dabbing to get CHS.

BestBuds

The Dude
Flower vapor is already a concentrate, you don't have to be dabbing to get CHS.
Right. But I don't think I could vape that much flower in one sitting. But if I had some wax or something I could definitely go through that in excess.

Other than that I recommend talking to a professional. A doctor with cannabis experience. It's hard to find but it'll be worth it.

Baron23

No, I don't have anxiety, and certainly not panic, over any MJ related subject.

I'm reserving my panic supply for a real crisis that I hope doesn't happen! haha

Cheers

EmDeemo

ACCOUNT INACTIVE
I already have my brain throwing enough shit at me to try and make me panic, that I dont need to add more to the collection, so no, not worried about this. If it happens, I will deal with it.

The planet is on fire, and I drink too much coffee. Thats enough worry for now thanks :)

kadjo

@Baron23
@emmdeemo

That's the right approach. Middle path.

@everybodyelse!

Thanks. Yes panic was hyperbole.

Ignorance really was bliss!
For some reason I was fortunate enough to have missed the discussions on CHS years ago.

I caught a random article and all if a sudden I had a whole backlog of years of panic and nowhere to really direct it, and then I remembered the internet!

As a long time lurker One thing I quickly learned was that the community here really is receptive and supportive to so many questions.

I was not disappointed. Lots of good insight and feedback has helped me see it from a more objective place.

Thanks everyone. My VAS can now continue unchecked ;) :)

EmDeemo

ACCOUNT INACTIVE
@Baron23
@emmdeemo

That's the right approach. Middle path.

@everybodyelse!

Thanks. Yes panic was hyperbole.

Ignorance really was bliss!
For some reason I was fortunate enough to have missed the discussions on CHS years ago.

I caught a random article and all if a sudden I had a whole backlog of years of panic and nowhere to really direct it, and then I remembered the internet!

As a long time lurker One thing I quickly learned was that the community here really is receptive and supportive to so many questions.

I was not disappointed. Lots of good insight and feedback has helped me see it from a more objective place.

Thanks everyone. My VAS can now continue unchecked ;) :)

Oh, dont get me wrong, I think we're all going to die this year, just from other things :)

virtualpurple

@kadjo

sorry to be late to the party. I have posted in the other thread on the topic awhile back.

I have seen a few patients that were diagnosed with CHS (I worked as a RN in an ER for about a decade). Not to say that people can’t experience it with a moderate use of cannabis, but 100% of the patients that I saw with CHS were using copious amounts. And those that came back with repeat events made absolutely no changes to their lifestyle.

I think it is pretty largely overblown by and large by media, at least from the clinical perspective.

fågel

᚛ᚓᚐᚅ᚜
i too am late on this train, ive had on and off stomach problems for years (but even before i was into cannabis) and they are reoccurring right now. all i have is the nausea.. so i don't think its this, but phew was the doc i talked to today not ok with me vaping for my health! even in california it seems fuckin impossible to find a doctor with any decent education on the subject. sighs.

the only thing i am now worried about is being in that stage of being nauseous, then vaping to feel better.. which may lead down this road of badness! i was so ready to write it off honestly, but i trust fc to be a little more uh.. kind. when it comes to discussing such things. so thanks all! im gonna work on readin thru all of the older thread.

good luck everyone, hang in there :peace:

fågel,

howie105

i too am late on this train, ive had on and off stomach problems for years (but even before i was into cannabis) and they are reoccurring right now. all i have is the nausea.. so i don't think its this, but phew was the doc i talked to today not ok with me vaping for my health! even in california it seems fuckin impossible to find a doctor with any decent education on the subject. sighs.

the only thing i am now worried about is being in that stage of being nauseous, then vaping to feel better.. which may lead down this road of badness! i was so ready to write it off honestly, but i trust fc to be a little more uh.. kind. when it comes to discussing such things. so thanks all! im gonna work on readin thru all of the older thread.

good luck everyone, hang in there :peace:

Fire up your doctor for a diagnosis and treatment plan for your illness, reoccurring illnesses that stretch over years should not go unaddressed.

howie105,
Top Bottom