Anybody else take NAC daily? it suppose to help with mucus

GoldenBud

I take it daily I think it helps many systems in our body
got mine from iHerb store

GoldenBud,

Curious Gorilla

Sounds like something smells purple.
If You get continual problems with Mucus it could be an allergen in Your enviroment, or in food . It may be possible to work out what by stopping One thing at a time...... a food or specific product You use...soap or detergant for instance. Stop any anti persperant or deoderant for a time to see if it changes anything. They can have stong smells that can effect nuerotransmitters.
Only stop one of each at a time to find which specific ones , if at any of them.
IT is a pain in the arse to do and can take time and STILL be unsuccesfull leaving You with No answeres and Lots of Snot.
Could be something Local outside Your window too, from a plant to a nearby factory. See if it improves when You are away from Home, might change things.
If it is always better away from home will give you an idea of where to start, it being a Local allergen.
Regarding NAC just be aware of side affects or interactions for anything Your taking.
If there are foods that disagree with You, check the Supplements do not share elements with the foods You react to, it could give You an idea of side effects if they do.
Central Heating can also cause sinus problems and excess mucus in some people, to my experience.
If You cook on Gas, possibly changing to electric may help, if possible.
Try Olbas Oil (Eucalyptus Oil) on your pillow at night or just leave the bottle open next to You. Or sniff atissue with it on.
And , stop Smoking if You do. Stop any Tobacco products including Tobacco Vape products . Too much of That shit will also cause mucas. Athough i have NO personal experience of tobbaco vaping.Not Good for You. No Health benefits what so EVER. Even if its an Improvement over Smoking.

bhasma

N-acetyl-cysteine is not a silver bullet.

According to one study: Oral N-acetylcysteine has been advocated as a mucolytic agent for use in chronic bronchitis. We have investigated the effects of regular use of this drug at a dose of 200 mg thrice daily for 4 weeks in nine patients with chronic bronchitis on lung function, lung mucociliary clearance and sputum viscosity in a controlled, double-blind, crossover study. No significant differences were found in lung function, mucociliary clearance curves or sputum viscosity following treatment with N-acetylcysteine compared to control or placebo measurements.

And gastrointestinal problems are a common side effect.

It's good to know that vaping was not the sole cause of your mucus, and as CG has noted it could be an allergy to something in your environment or something you consume.

TigoleBitties

Big and Bouncy
Do you like to eat a lot of dairy? I've noticed that for most people, especially as we get older, they develop an inability to process/digest dairy products completely and this can lead to inflammatory responses including increased mucous production. I might try eliminating dairy for a couple of weeks and see if this helps.

Also, just as a general comment, I'm not a huge fan of supplements. I think isolating a single compound thought to be beneficial and ingesting it in quantities not generally found in whole foods is not the way our bodies have evolved to absorb compounds.

Over the years I've tried to balance my diet with whole food items (fruits/veggies/nuts/seeds/animal protein) as much as possible with a heavy emphasis on plant based nutrition over animal, something like 85%/15% plant/animal ratio.

For supplements I've narrowed things down to a few that I feel I can't get enough of from whole foods whether because I don't consume enough of the food in question or I just don't like the taste.

Curcumin - (about 1g daily in powdered form) for general anti-inflammatory/joint health benefits. I just don't eat enough Indian food lol.
Ubiquinol - (about 100mg daily in liquid capsule) Normally you would get this from organ meats (liver, kidney, heart etc.) but I just don't eat enough naturally.
Vitamin D - I supplement about 2000 I.U. daily during winter months where exposed skin just can't produce enough. Difficult to get enough from food only.

I can't stress enough how much concentrating on eating whole (real) foods has improved my health. I try to avoid anything with a nutrition label if I can help it. A nutrition label means it was processed in some fashion and you just can't beat the real thing in most instances. Just my :2c:

GoldenBud

I don't have mucus anymore, was having mucus up to 30 days after I stopped using cannabis. but in my case I probably vaporized too much too, around 1.5gr per day. so maybe I didn't need to stop it all, just having an holiday from it, the main reason I stopped using was money.

I started taking NAC since 2 weeks ago because it seems like it helps with weight loss, will see about that, but if i'll have any side effects gastrointestinal or something like that I'll stop using it

Vitamin D - I supplement about 2000 I.U. daily during winter months where exposed skin just can't produce enough. Difficult to get enough from food only.
I also take Vitamin D and K2 daily, for boosting testosterone

I only take NAC/Vitamin D/K2/Omega 3 for now. I also don't believe in taking too much supplements.

btw @TigoleBitties when I used to vaporize, I stopped drinking milk. milk+vaporizing made it worse for me.... but now I do drink milk with my coffee, maybe the combination of milk+vaporizing did something to me, idk

bhasma

The title of the thread is perhaps misleading, and "NAC for weight-loss" might be better. NAC has been shown to reduce body fat in mice on a high fat diet, but not consuming so much fat will have the same effect. I don't believe in taking any supplements, because a healthy diet provides all that is required.

Tellus

Human (H. sapiens x H. neanderthalensis)
@bhasma
I agree that a healthy varied diet should give us everything buuut there have been studies about how fruits and vegetables today just don't have the same levels of nutrients as before. Due to modern agricultural practices, for example due to growing in soil depleted of nutrients and life. I'm not sure if it affects us so much that we need supplements but modern agriculture has its problems too

@GoldenBud
I used to take NAC but as a part of a herbal antibiotics cure and NAC played a roll as a bacterial biofilm destroyer then. I still have a big bag left of it, and I get reminded of the smell every time I see that bag..

GoldenBud

used to take NAC but as a part of a herbal antibiotics cure and NAC played a roll as a bacterial biofilm destroyer then. I still have a big bag left of it, and I get reminded of the smell every time I see that bag..
It helped you with the mucus? It helped me a lot.

GoldenBud,

bhasma

@bhasma
I agree that a healthy varied diet should give us everything buuut there have been studies about how fruits and vegetables today just don't have the same levels of nutrients as before. Due to modern agricultural practices, for example due to growing in soil depleted of nutrients and life. I'm not sure if it affects us so much that we need supplements but modern agriculture has its problems too
Perhaps industrial farming without regard for nature will soon have farmers and consumers alike depending on artificial supplements.

Tellus

Human (H. sapiens x H. neanderthalensis)
It helped you with the mucus? It helped me a lot.
I didn't use it for mucus, many bacteria live in colonies protected by biofilm and that biofilm can protect them against antibiotics. NAC has been found to break down their biofilm so that antibiotics can get to them!
Perhaps industrial farming without regard for nature will soon have farmers and consumers alike depending on artificial supplements.
Industrial farming, that's what I meant! Because modern agricultural practices can include both good and bad, so that was the wrong term. It's a touch choice, industrial farming makes sure there is enough food to go around. Farming with regard to nature gives us better food and takes care of nature but needs more work and yields less. But isn't that already reality? At least with farmers depending on more and more artificial fertilizers?

I think the real solution is partial reformation of some/many aspects of our societies and communities. This is way off topic but two interesting concepts/philosophies include bioregionalism and reinhabitation

Marlon Rando

Interesting topic to go go down @GoldenBud NAC 'we've learned' as you linked is a very effective anti inflammatory/antioxidant and free radical scavenger, particularly with lung tissue damage from respiratory illnesses, it's known to bind itself to Ace 2 receptors and assist in dissolving the venerable 'spike'. In conjuction with daily doses of vitamin D3, 2000 IU's I ingest and adjust according to weight and height. Curcumin, Nattokinase (4000FU) and Bromelain work excellent in concert, ( Natto, an enzyme in Japanese soy based food. 'They' say to caution against if one is on blood thinners) with NAC during cold/flu bug season.
Quercetin and Resveratrol also work great together while we're on the NAC kick.
For those carrot injured by the spike, or concerned about 'shedding' look into these I've mentioned. And of course,
Take what we took the time to research ourselves with an anecdotal grain of sand and consult your GP before diving deep into this topic. Dammit Jim!

Last edited:
Marlon Rando,
Reactions: GoldenBud
Top Bottom