Any way to get even a rough estimate of abv cannaoil potency?

iammyself

I’m making my first batch of abv cannaoil right now. I’ve only done edibles a handful of times, and am very hesitant with them. I’ve had 30mg max at once, and that was a fun experience. So I guess I want to TRY to start around there.

I know there’s no real way to judge effect other than try and see. I plan on starting slow, and working up. But is there any way to get even a baseline of how low to start and work up with? I guess I’m looking for a measurement, like 1 tsp, 1 tbsp, etc?

I know the abv came from an average of around 17% flower, and was primarily vaped at 430° until there was only popcorn flavor remaining. I started with 25g of abv, and will weigh the total yield of coconut cannaoil when it’s done in the crock pot. Any recommendations are appreciated.

iammyself,

iammyself

The final yield is 56g of cannaoil. I’m assuming it’s very weak as a result of my high vape temp, but have no idea where to even start to start low. One teaspoon, tablespoon, etc?

iammyself,

Kins

Fry something up in it. Not sure how coconut oil tastes with weed but I bet it's ok. I first tried abv butter a little while ago and I just put a tablespoon in the frying pan for grease and tablespoon to coat the sandwich before you put it in the oil. That worked well. I think you'll be fine with that because I didn't vape all my flower at 430F. Most times I usually don't go up that high, but once in a while, maybe for 2 bags at the end of the bowl.

Kins,

badbee

We could make a guess. 25 g of 17% flower contains 4250 mg of THC (note that's milligrams). Assume that vaping removed 90% of the THC (a guess but still realistic) that means there is at most 425 mg of THC in your 56g of cannaoil or about 7.5 mg per 1 gr of oil. Since a teaspoon is about 5 g that is 37.5 mg of THC per teaspoon maximum.

The oil could be much weaker than this estimate but it's a good starting point for guessing strength.

iammyself

Great, thanks for doing all the math for me. That helps at least get a very rough estimate.

iammyself,
Reactions: Okla68

iammyself

I ended up putting them in gel caps. Just a bit under 1ml/capsule. I ended up with exactly 69. Nice. I decided to start really low, and only took two to start.

435A2454-CC26-4F0A-862E-84D5A8E465FD.jpeg

iammyself

Thanks again @badbee for helping with the dosing math. Taking two 1ml pills was a great starting point. I can feel some effects, and it has been pleasant but not overwhelming. I’ll up it to three next time and see how that goes. One negative with the pill form; I have been having slight abv flavored burps the last couple hours. I assume if I cook it in something the flavor would be masked more, and I wouldn’t be burping it? Or maybe I should’ve eaten first. I only snacked, missed lunch, before taking two.

justcametomind

An information I acquired in this forum is that it takes 7g of Abv to make for 1g of weed (Thc wise). It may be unscientific and probably wrong but that’s what I remember. I stopped doing edibles especially with abv because the high is mostly lethargic and when I do edibles I’m prone to munchies and I hate how I feel the morning after I ate too much.

shredder

Thanks again @badbee for helping with the dosing math. Taking two 1ml pills was a great starting point. I can feel some effects, and it has been pleasant but not overwhelming. I’ll up it to three next time and see how that goes. One negative with the pill form; I have been having slight abv flavored burps the last couple hours. I assume if I cook it in something the flavor would be masked more, and I wouldn’t be burping it? Or maybe I should’ve eaten first. I only snacked, missed lunch, before taking two.

Cooking abv oil in food makes everything taste terrible. Even with the odd funky burp your better off consuming with the capsules.

The good news is abv oil is good for sleep and pain.

iammyself

Cooking abv oil in food makes everything taste terrible. Even with the odd funky burp your better off consuming with the capsules.

The good news is abv oil is good for sleep and pain.
I’ll say they’re good for sleep. I took the last 5 of my pills last night, and slept a good 11 hours. :zzz:

I have about as much abv saved up as I used for my first batch of cannaoil, 26g. This should be stronger as well, I’ve started vaping at lower temps. I want to try water curing my next batch, so I’ll probably save up a bit longer before making anything else.

sickmanfraud

Here is a link to a home test kit. I have no experience with these things, although I do have an interest.

If you get the kit, please let us know how the testing went and the strength of the oil.

sickmanfraud,

iammyself

Here is a link to a home test kit. I have no experience with these things, although I do have an interest.

If you get the kit, please let us know how the testing went and the strength of the oil.
Cool, I had no idea this existed. I’d get it if I was doing a home grow. Just for abv is a little overkill/out of budget though.

iammyself,
Top Bottom