any on demand portable hybrids around?

im not a robot

so i have been on a financial rollercoaster lately (climbing atm thanks universe), and sold my only remaining portable - a tinymight - when times were tough. i always liked it a lot, but it was probably overkill for a lightweight like myself, and it got shelved for portable use only when i received a woodscents. ever since i got it, this has been my favourite vape hands down, any log would have been i think - its on demand extreme efficiency (and comparatively light punch) suits me perfectly still.

but i am short one portable vape and eager for suggestions. the tinymight was great, but not perfect for portability imo. i used to own a mighty as well, which was better on the portability side, but its commitment to a session always felt less than ideal, so i am certain i dont want another session vape. i did like the hybrid heating though, so easy and foolproof to get decent vapor out of. and a much easier vape to hand to novices.

so i have been following the xmax v3 pro thread https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/...n-on-demand-session.51535/page-6#post-1592682 and i think this one looks promising, great price point. but i am not so sure i absolutely need to have convection heating (i got a ws at home). i have nothing against it, but my sense is that conduction or hybrid vapes are friendlier for first time users (but i only base this on my prior mighty), and passing the vape to a (combusting) friend is a factor here, as is good taste.
the only on-demand conduction vape i am aware of is the firewood 7, but that is impossible to order to germany, and i think i read that it is a bit warm natively as well.
are there are other options i am not aware of? is there such a thing as a hybrid on demand portable vaporizer? if so i certainly missed it.

oh btw, i also have a dynavap, and am considering just getting an induction heater, this may very well be the best option.

thanks in advance

Last edited:
im not a robot,
Reactions: Green Kiwi

Texus

Dynavap with IH is a very good combo and VERY tough to beat.

But like yourself, FW7 would seem a very good option there, if not for int'l shipping issues (and maybe keep an eye on that, or I think that there are services which for a fee will receive a domestic package in the US and then shop internationally when seller will not but don't know any to suggest).

Otherwise, the Fury Rogue or POTV 1 might be worth checking out. IIRC they are hybrid, but I don't consider the quality of the vapor being up to the level of FW7, Taffee Bowle or Dynavap.

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
Then there's always the Boundless Tera (mostly convection?) and Grasshopper (all convection?) for on-demand... I own neither and am quite happy with Dynavap's on-demand conduction with an IH (or torch.)

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure
Did you use your Tinymight with a j-hook or bubbler at home before you sold it?

If you value efficiency over flavor a vapcap is a rugged cheap conduction option that gets recommended a ton, largely because it's hard to beat for the price. Heating to the click for every hit and mouth pulling to compensate for the tight draw resistance are the big reasons I don't use my vapcaps more. Induction heaters do add to the ritual but don't pocket well.

The Firewood7 has pretty unavoidable conduction from my experience. The slim design and retractable cooling stem make it more portable than the Tinymight. I still use my Tinymight more because I enjoy convection temp stepping and like having a dial as opposed to the adjustable low, medium, and high of the Firewood7.

The Vleaf Go performs really well with a j-hook or bubbler for how cheap it is but it's too hot natively and battery life is poor.

I haven't tried it to rate the vapor quality you could give the Xmax V3 a go. It likely won't compare with the versatility, flavor, or speed of the Tinymight though. The Tinymight shines when you get the stainless steel cooling unit out of the vapor path. I've sold or gifted all my session vapes, including a Mighty and Fury Edge, because I would never choose them over the speed, flavor, and convenience of the punchy Tinymight heater.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
FW7 is really the only option, nothing else like it really, and it is not harsh natively with the new cooling stem set up that is standard, but also the WPA is a must so you get even more versatility (does not need to connect through water necessarily at all) however yeah not so easy for you to get, I know someone in the thread was offering to send some internationally a while ago, and someone else was able to get a hookup, certainly on Reddit EntExchange it can be easier to find, so I would focus on that if I were you, good luck!

3migo

Is this a...what day is this?
You could roll with a Lamart Tetra P80 with a capsule stem. Will make it a bit more friendly to load/unload on the go, and the capsule will add more of a conduction/hybrid element to the full convection Tetra heater. Lamart is also based in Europe which will make it easier to get on your end.

im not a robot

many thanks for the replies everyone. no, i have never tried a jhook w/ the tinymight @bossman, i wish i had (i generally preferred the grav taster over using the cooling unit), but it was not an easy sell regardless. but i am really happy with my ws for home-use. i have considered buying another tinymight for outdoors, and maybe i will eventually, but for now would prefer to try sth else.

i have followed the firewood thread for some years now, and got close to ordering an earlier version (5?) a while back. i might look closer into options for making that happen. would you say that the firewood 7 qualifies as novice friendly @Shit Snacks? as in pass, and it will easily work? people will say that is true for the tinymight as well, but with my friends it was a little hit or miss - probably just a convection learning curve.

the p80 looks really fun @3migo , i considered that a while back as well, but despite the dosing capsules it doesnt really seem all that portable to me, less so than the tinymight. also, easier to want than get!

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
.i have followed the firewood thread for some years now, and got close to ordering an earlier version (5?) a while back. i might look closer into options for making that happen. would you say that the firewood 7 qualifies as novice friendly @Shit Snacks? as in pass, and it will easily work? people will say that is true for the tinymight as well, but with my friends it was a little hit or miss - probably just a convection learning curve.

Not really sure, I've never shared mine with anyone, because I got it in the pandemic, it could be easier than the TM in the sense that it is more automatic with the conduction creating some vapor for you, however the general technique is still the same: hold the button down as it heats, it will vibrate when at temp, keep inhaling and holding the button, then let go of the button and keep inhaling to clear the vapor... The difference with the FW7 is that it will then vibrate again to let you know that the heater has cooled down, and I will keep trying after that just to fully clear (necessity depending on the temp setting or where I am in the session) I like to draw long and slow, and then I started inhaling faster near the end, when clearing especially... Hope that helps!

Gigsabits53

Not really sure, I've never shared mine with anyone, because I got it in the pandemic, it could be easier than the TM in the sense that it is more automatic with the conduction creating some vapor for you, however the general technique is still the same: hold the button down as it heats, it will vibrate when at temp, keep inhaling and holding the button, then let go of the button and keep inhaling to clear the vapor... The difference with the FW7 is that it will then vibrate again to let you know that the heater has cooled down, and I will keep trying after that just to fully clear (necessity depending on the temp setting or where I am in the session) I like to draw long and slow, and then I started inhaling faster near the end, when clearing especially... Hope that helps!
Exactly the way I like to hit the FW7 as well. Hard to say how easy to use, I'm the only one that has used mine. My friends seem to have trouble with every vape I have though lol :rofl:

im not a robot

that does help, thank you.
it could be easier than the TM in the sense that it is more automatic with the conduction creating some vapor for you,
that could already be a big plus i think. just in terms of an earlier feedback that sth is happening.
My friends seem to have trouble with every vape I have though lol :rofl:
all my friends come from / are smoking joints. the idea of inhaling on sth longer than you would on .. a joint .. seems a considerable barrier. maybe conjuring memories of bad times with bongs

gordontreeman

Everythings coming up Milhouse!
I honestly think your inclination to get an IH for your dynavap might be your best option. I don't think it tastes as good as full convection options (note that I also don't think it tastes bad; the first hit or two when I use a single flame torch along the end of the tip are amazing and its not even "bad" after that til the end of the bowl. It just seems like all the terpenes that theoretically provide flavor are gone after that first hit or two), but for an efficient vape with smaller load sizes dynavaps just work amazingly well when you respect the click. With an IH it would be pretty easy to explain how it works handing it off to a friend I would think.

Someone suggested the Tetra P80 and personally I don't think that is a great choice. I can't see it faring much better than a TM as a portable, and if you thought the TM was overkill for your usage patterns this would be more of the same. I'm not knocking the performance of it at all, I love mine. Great vape. I'm just giving my impressions based on how you described your previous TM.

Vaporware

If you’re happy with a VapCap you’ll probably be happy using it with an induction heater. It’s not my favorite in all ways, but in some ways it’s maybe the best thing going. Especially in not having to hold a big chunk of vaporizer in your hand the entire time you use it.

Overall though, the Firewood 7 is my top recommendation for you right now too. If you want 5-10 medium to large hits on demand whenever you want them, I think it’ll stretch the bowl out a bit more for you.

If you just want one or two big hits and then you’re fine with reloading it though, the VC/IH combo is still a great option, and depending on the IH you may be able to stretch that too. The upcoming Sense IH should do that well, but it may not be out until next year.

im not a robot

With an IH it would be pretty easy to explain how it works handing it off to a friend I would think.
yes i think you are right. i never used an IH but it looks simple enough, and using a dynvap is the closest thing to smoking probably possible. i have had my dynavaps for some time now, and they have a firm place for me. there are compromises, of course, but the way it feels to use them is fun too (once you get beyond the crackhead aesthetics). i feel a bit overwhelmed with IH options, the wand was recommended to me a lot, but i also stumbled across the MAD sense thread and feel i should wait a while and see how this plays out / when it releases. too bad the orion wasnt received better, seems pretty nice re portability & is easily obtainable here.

@Vaporware am i understanding you correctly that you think the firewood would be better at going at a slower pace? that'd be really nice. being able to go slow (and still get decent vapor) is one of the things i love about my log.

im not a robot,

GoldenBud

If you value efficiency over flavor a vapcap is a rugged cheap conduction option that gets recommended a ton, largely because it's hard to beat for the price. Heating to the click for every hit and mouth pulling to compensate for the tight draw resistance are the big reasons I don't use my vapcaps more. Induction heaters do add to the ritual but don't pocket well.
I agree. Vapcap heats the herb before your inhale... Some of the effects are not being delivered comparing to 100% convection devices...
I like Vapcap, I use it, but it's not the best vaping experience tho. the CCD is briliant, the ritual is all right, it's unbreakable but not as satisfying as the convection devices IMO

If I had to choose only 1 vape, it would be the vapcap, just because it's unbreakable..

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
I agree. Vapcap heats the herb before your inhale... Some of the effects are not being delivered comparing to 100% convection devices...
I like Vapcap, I use it, but it's not the best vaping experience tho. the CCD is briliant, the ritual is all right, it's unbreakable but not as satisfying as the convection devices IMO

If I had to choose only 1 vape, it would be the vapcap, just because it's unbreakable..
I often heat up my vapcaps whilst inhaling... totally on-demand with an IH and kinda like using a (big) Bic.

Vapcaps are the best "zombie apocalypse" type device available and every vaporist absolutely needs one in their arsenal, imo, even if you don't prefer it. The level of customizability more than makes up for less than perfect vapor.

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure
I’m not sure which one you have but the newer ones (I think 2020 and beyond) have much more open airflow.
Good to know. I have an Omni XL, Omni, a Simrell XL vortex and a few Ms from around 2017 and 2018. I also don't use the carb on any vapcaps so better airflow would have to come from the business end and not from a design change to the carb.

I don't hate the desperate firing squad drag of my vapcap hits, I was more just saying that it's a separate learning curve unique to vapcaps and that combined with heating for every hit makes vapcaps a weak choice for sharing, especially with novices.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Good to know. I have an Omni XL, Omni, a Simrell XL vortex and a few Ms from around 2017 and 2018. I also don't use the carb on any vapcaps so better airflow would have to come from the business end and not from a design change to the carb.

Ah I see, if you prefer the carb closed off entirely the new ones would probably still feel restrictive to you. I’m not a fan of tight draws at all, so I run em wide open!

Vaporware

yes i think you are right. i never used an IH but it looks simple enough, and using a dynvap is the closest thing to smoking probably possible. i have had my dynavaps for some time now, and they have a firm place for me. there are compromises, of course, but the way it feels to use them is fun too (once you get beyond the crackhead aesthetics). i feel a bit overwhelmed with IH options, the wand was recommended to me a lot, but i also stumbled across the MAD sense thread and feel i should wait a while and see how this plays out / when it releases. too bad the orion wasnt received better, seems pretty nice re portability & is easily obtainable here.

@Vaporware am i understanding you correctly that you think the firewood would be better at going at a slower pace? that'd be really nice. being able to go slow (and still get decent vapor) is one of the things i love about my log.

With the right heating technique you can stretch a VapCap load, but in general yes I think a FW7 bowl is easier to stretch to 5-10+ draws. I usually use it 2-3 times and the put it away, and after about 3-4 of those cycles it’s usually done.

I think it’s possible to extract in 1-2 with a lot of pre-heating, but that’s not what I’m looking for with the FW so I haven’t tried.

If you decide to go with an IH instead, the Sense should be a great option if you can wait, the wand should work well but it isn’t designed for VCs so it may not be the easiest IH to use, and there are plenty of more basic IHs out there to try. I think the Fluxer Flite is still probably the best option that’s been released, but right now you’d have to get lucky and find a used one.

JBone65

Note: I just typed this in another thread but it works here as well.

Hopper Labs got a bad reputation for service quality and for the reliability of the original grasshopper, but the newer model (the io) has been excellent from my perspective. Have been using grasshoppers for 5 years, upgraded to the io just over a year ago. This amazing portable device has a convection heater with a tremendous temperature range. The load is the perfect size so that you can get excellent sweet terpenoid hits at 220° all the way to several broiling 430°f finishing hits. Mine has never combusted. I'm consistently getting 10 heavy hits per 0.19 g chamber load, which means an ounce of premium sativa will last >3 months even though I'm indulging in 16-17 strong hits per day.

Here's the most important difference. It's extremely enjoyable, and efficient, and reliable, and easy to use, and IT FITS IN YOUR POCKET, so that it's all you need. It works everywhere, anytime, so it will displace a desk top vaporizer the same way a modern cell phone displaced the land line. I can get an excellent hit while relaxing at my work bench, watching TV, while driving, while riding 80 mph or anywhere else.

Some folks love to buy glass carburetors, spare batteries and other accessories, and they successfully use it for group sessions. It works this way as well, however, like a cell phone, it's mainly designed for personal use. It's always at your fingertips, always ready to hit - hard.

I paid $200 for my first one in 2016. Suffered thru some HL growing pains, had several failures that HL handled, then upgraded to the more powerful io for only $85 almost 13 months ago. It's performed perfectly except for one failure that resulted in 3 weeks downtime. I can vouch for the lifetime warranty.

My io pays for itself in savings over and over again.

One last comment. IMO technique doesn't matter when combusting weed. All methods are similar. However, vaporizing technique makes a huge difference in terms of enjoyment, efficiency, discreetness, etc. I'm not getting any sort of compensation to say this, just wanna help others in their quest for THC nirvana.

Attachments​

Top Bottom