Any non toxic high heat adhesive’s out there?

TeaCup

Trying to do some DIY”ing and it would be a whole heck of a lot easier than what I’m using now. Thanks.

TeaCup,

TeaCup

I used this to put the glass back into my splinter Z when it came out.

It says it’s non-toxic once cured and safe to use on containers for drinking water.

I couldn’t find any medical grade epoxy here in Australia and this was the best I could find. Hope it’s ok, haha.
Thanks I'm gonna look into that. The problem I'm having is so many things say food safe or something similar but when doing more research "food safe" seems to mean different things to different people. I was also looking at epoxys' and now can't remember why I ruled them out.

TeaCup,

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
Grass Yes,

TeaCup

I wouldn't put this in the vapor path but I think this is fine for high heat applications (from the splinter thread):
Not sure what's considered vapor path. I have three different manufacturers wood butane vapes in three different types of wood and I'm trying to close up the wood path in any one of them, preferrably my O'Connell Bong. I bought some razor thin 316 SS sheets that are almost as pliable as aluminum foil, and some 316 SS earring studs that I was gonna dremel down to hopefully a sharper point and do my best to make them hold the SS sheets in place. So any adhesive would be between the wood walls and SS Sheets and I just can't seem to figure out, or even understand, if off gassing would occur. I did some more reading yesterday on all the epoxy's out there and I'm still just as confused. If I didn't love butane as much as I do I'd cut my losses with these three vapes, but I want one of them to work in the worst way. I've already tried to dremel the studs and getting a sharper point was harder than I thought it would be, so having an adhesive would be alot eaiser.

Farid

If the SS sheets are the heating element, adhesives directly applied are not a good idea. They will likely offgas or fail, and even if it’s "safe", it will negatively effect the experience.

It's hard to say without seeing the design you're building, but there is almost always some way to fasten other than adhesives.

TeaCup

If the SS sheets are the heating element, adhesives directly applied are not a good idea. They will likely offgas or fail, and even if it’s "safe", it will negatively effect the experience.

It's hard to say without seeing the design you're building, but there is almost always some way to fasten other than adhesives.
I can't figure out another way. The oven area is slanted and small and it's hard as heck to maneuver anything in there. I only briefly tried to dremel the studs into a nail like point so this is something I plan on taking more time the next time I try. Here's a link to O'Connell's bong with some pics of the inside:

If the SS sheets are the heating element
Not sure what you mean when you say "are". But you'll probably have a better idea when you see the pics. The SS sheet (shim stock) will be placed over the wood oven area with the adhesive obviously inbetween. So not sure if that means it's in the direct vapor path or not. To me I would guess as to say it's in the vapor area, just not necessarily in the direct path???

TeaCup,

badbee

The glue recommended in the old Splinter threads is this one: "Loctite® M-121HP™ Hysol® Medical Device Epoxy Adhesive (ISO 10993)". I would only buy the Loctite brand as the others labeled on Amazon as "medical" are probably just regular epoxy repackaged.

TeaCup

The glue recommended in the old Splinter threads is this one: "Loctite® M-121HP™ Hysol® Medical Device Epoxy Adhesive (ISO 10993)". I would only buy the Loctite brand as the others labeled on Amazon as "medical" are probably just regular epoxy repackaged.
Thanks for that. I'm probably gonna just try the nails though, there's just too much uncertainty for me with the epoxy's, unless I read something that's clear as day saying it's safe.

TeaCup,

badbee

Thanks for that. I'm probably gonna just try the nails though, there's just too much uncertainty for me with the epoxy's, unless I read something that's clear as day saying it's safe.
Yeah, I hadn't understood your scenario when I posted this. This was used for Splinters but it was up in a dead end channel away from the main air path and the heat. I wouldn't put this, or any adhesive, near the heater, that's a place for mechanical fasteners.

Haze Mister

Verdant Bloomer
Manufacturer
Are you trying to line the inside of a cone-shaped wood tube with steel foil?

Haze Mister,

Cheebsy

Microbe minion
Could you line the bowl with the foil and use a ss ring, or 2 maybe (formed with wire, or a short section of tube) about half way down to push the foil against the sides? Will probably need some finesse to get the foil to sit right but it could work?

Cheebsy,
Reactions: TeaCup

TeaCup

Could you line the bowl with the foil and use a ss ring, or 2 maybe (formed with wire, or a short section of tube) about half way down to push the foil against the sides? Will probably need some finesse to get the foil to sit right but it could work?
Hmmm, not really sure what you mean. Which part of the bowl are you talking about, the section you put the herb in or the above section that's curved? I have some 0.001 mm 316 SS foil sheets that I'm gonna use for the curved area. For the area of the herb I'll use a SS ring or cut some glass to size and friction fit them in with a probable combination of sanding and some of the SS sheets. My problem with the SS sheets is I made a test run with them in my CouchLog stem and it wasn't really a success. I may try it again because I think something wasn't quite right and I was in too much a hurry when I was doing it and I think I left a tiny bit of the wood exposed also.

I've been thinking about it all day at work and I'm wondering if the combination below would work and what people thought of this scenario........

The SS nails I have are not gonna work, I just opened my O'Connell up and didn't realize how far I had actually done on the curved part. It was close enough to being done and there's far too much of a gap that vapor can get under that SS foil. There's a product called Stone Coat Epoxy that can withstand temps up to 500 degrees and has zero VOC in it. Apparently VOC stands for volatile organic compounds and I still have to research that part, but it atleast sounds healthier, lol. What if I put the tiniest thinnest amount of that between the SS foil and the wood of just the curved area so I'm able to get it so vapor (for the most part) can't get under there. And then the herb area I can friction fit the SS ring or glass ring. I gotta believe you could put the thinnest amount imaginable underneath the SS foil and it would hold in place. Would that really be that toxic????

TeaCup,

TeaCup

I’m hoping to achieve usability.

My body doesn’t like wood at all, and unfortunately for my body I think these wood butane devices are the shit. Rock and a hard place.

TeaCup,

Farid

Putting in a liner won't eliminate the wood. In fact having metal adjacent to the wood is just going to increase the heat transferred to the wood. A better bet is trying to replace the wood with something else

TeaCup

Putting in a liner won't eliminate the wood
How come some artisan makers line there Dyna's with it? I assume this was to eliminate the wood flavoring?

A better bet is trying to replace the wood with something else
You lost me on that one.......the entire vape is wood?

In all honesty, after last night I'm giving up. I lined my Dreamwood Vapopipe about 90% of all the wood and it still had a massive wood taste. I'm gonna keep the O'Connell and one day maybe have some "a-ha" moment with it, but for now I'm gonna try and go the Piro route with some sort of custom stem. Thanks alot for trying to help.

TeaCup,
Reactions: Cheebsy

Farid

Makers line Dynavap stems because it makes the stems easier to clean. They're also using tubing which is sealed from inlet to outlet. With sheeting you're going to have any flavor/offgassing from the wood seep through into your airpath.

TeaCup

Makers line Dynavap stems because it makes the stems easier to clean.
Hmmmmm, ya got a point there. I still see people talking about them from a taste perspective though too. Either way, it doesn't seem to matter now anyways.

With sheeting you're going to have any flavor/offgassing from the wood seep through into your airpath.
Yup, that's definitely a fact!! :) But I did manage to make it completely out of one piece of sheet so there wasn't anything to seep around or under. But there was one spot that I just couldn't get at, it was a very small spot of wood exposed. I said 90% covered and to be honest it may have even been more covered than that, which is why I'm kinda perplexed.......it had about as much wood taste as if nothing had been covered. But like I said, I'm giving up for now.........now onto my email from Aehzenn Wood about that custom Piro stem!!! :D

TeaCup,
Top Bottom