Alcohol Based Tincture and Plastic?

FR0ST

I'm looking to make a tincture using a grain alcohol that is 95% ABV.

I was planning to store it in an amber glass tincture, with a glass pipette such as the following *link*.

However, I've just noticed that all of these tinctures have plastic lids, regardless of whether the pipette is made from glass or not.

So what's the deal? Is it safe to store 95% ABV alcohol in these bottles with plastic tops? I don't want the alcohol to be leeching any toxins out of the plastic and into my tincture.

Any alternatives?

FR0ST,

FR0ST

I guess I could store it in a small vodka bottle or something instead - but they I'd have no way to titrate the dosage :huh:.

FR0ST,

Nesta

I buy a lot of various herbal tinctures, such as nettle, ginseng, oat seed, etc & they all come with a plastic screw top. I've never heard any mention of the plastic material leeching into the tincture (& I keep my ears open for any health warnings)- but I'm not saying there's no danger either.

Nesta,

Oneeyeisbetter

I'm looking to make a tincture using a grain alcohol that is 95% ABV.

I was planning to store it in an amber glass tincture, with a glass pipette such as the following *link*.

However, I've just noticed that all of these tinctures have plastic lids, regardless of whether the pipette is made from glass or not.

So what's the deal? Is it safe to store 95% ABV alcohol in these bottles with plastic tops? I don't want the alcohol to be leeching any toxins out of the plastic and into my tincture.

Any alternatives?
I don't have an across the board alternative to a dropper bottle. I have moved on to coconut oil as my carrier for spoon-fed sublingual, I find this a workable alternative to tincture in a dropper bottle. I make it by evaporating tincture directly onto a solidified coconut oil base.

The plastic in contact with the tincture in the amber dropper bottle is just the seal at the cap, right? Regular checking to be sure, but in my opinion dropper bottles designed for tincture should be fine if you are not doing extended storage. Store it upright, away from degrading heat and sunlight. I haven't seen my dropper bottle seals soften up, no indication of alcohol causing degradation. My bottles seem fine, for whatever that is worth.

I encourage caution however. I had a sublingual tincture in an amber spray bottle I mistakenly thought was meant to take it and it surprised me that the milky-white plastic spray works softened up, a lot, although it took a couple of months for me to notice. May not be comparable to the plastic seal in dropper bottles, but still a caution.

Last edited:
Oneeyeisbetter,

HomeFree

Maybe ask what plastic the lid is composed of. I have used those for tincture before, but only with MCT oil. Once you find out what plastic it is you can check compatibility. It's probably fine, tons of tincures out there in 95% are on shelves in places like whole foods and the likes. But I can not say for certain.

HomeFree,
Top Bottom