Aftermarket stems

bdilligan

I see everyone using aftermarket glass stems for their devices, with costs between $15 and some even over $100, is there really much difference between them and a generic boro glass tube from Schott or another boro tubing manufacturer, asking for a friend 😊

sickmanfraud

I see everyone using aftermarket glass stems for their devices, with costs between $15 and some even over $100, is there really much difference between them and a generic boro glass tube from Schott or another boro tubing manufacturer, asking for a friend 😊

Many of the members here feel that there is a difference between stock and custom stems. This is variable by vape and stem(s).

sickmanfraud,

Cheebsy

Microbe minion
I think it depends on what you're comparing that schott tube to? A straight tube would need to be quite long to cool effectively. Dimples and beads, to improve cooling, that glass artists add to those tubes take time and money and skill to make. Generally, yes they are worth the money they command IMO.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Also color glass is more expensive because it needs to be made and then purchased before it can be used to make said stems... Not to mention bends and curves, that often do even more for cooling than indentations or obstructions, depending on styles used

gheebee

Depending on the stem it may also be very hard to make within tolerances. I run into this every time I try and get someone to make me a custom Solo/Air stem, no one will even attempt it but I bet if I found someone willing to let me gamble it would cost a lot because it will be hard to size.

gheebee,

TigoleBitties

Big and Bouncy
Depending on the stem it may also be very hard to make within tolerances. I run into this every time I try and get someone to make me a custom Solo/Air stem, no one will even attempt it but I bet if I found someone willing to let me gamble it would cost a lot because it will be hard to size.
I've really enjoyed using the Solo's WPA as the bowl and attaching a compatible 14mm female stem/j-hook/pipe to that for cooling. Maybe designing a custom 14mm stem would make the tolerances easier for you.

AssistedLiving

the boro glass is manufactured by the company, Simax, Schott, Pyrex, are 3 well known producers, with Pyrex being much more costly, the guys "making" the stems purchase the tubing from a wholesaler, and simply size it,

MountainGlass sells hundreds of different sizes, and all their colored glass tubing appears to be from China

MountainGlass

AssistedLiving,
Reactions: gheebee

badbee

I've experimented with "stock" glass parts but it didn't work out as well as I hoped. This link is to a ground glass joint that can be used as a regular stem or WPA in a TM, and it's only $3.20. I mostly use it now as a mouthpiece\stem for a small globe in place of the whip. In the TM as a stem it's a little too long and it turns out the heavier glass walls don't work well (I think they rob heat, not sure). I have a pilled stem from HighArtisan (I think) that was twelve times the price but it's much better as an on-the-go stem for the TM.

I think this is the usual story. You can get stock parts to work, but it's never as good as something designed for the purpose.

Edit: When talking about sizing keep in mind that lamp work glass artists virtually never make their own stems or ground joints. They buy them and then work them to add dimples, bends, beads, glass screens, etc. Once softened they can stick all kinds of different tubes together. Small variations in diameter come from the factory, not the glass worker.

Last edited:

Shit Snacks

Yes but those tubes that they start with can also be modified further, worked to different dimensions, changed with fume, or as I mentioned completely pure color that was made and then must be fully worked, typically along with the clear in some way...

Have you not seen, good vibes boro is now offering solo air stems... He does have to blow out the diameter a tiny bit, since they use a non-standard size, but it is no problem!

GianniGSpotte

He does have to blow out the diameter a tiny bit, since they use a non-standard size, but it is no problem!
It's more likely Mike found the right diameter tubing from another supplier rather than modifying a standard size piece.

Expanding the diameter of glass tubing is a much less common technique than finding the right size in the first place.

GianniGSpotte,

Shit Snacks

It's more likely Mike found the right diameter tubing from another supplier rather than modifying a standard size piece.

Expanding the diameter of glass tubing is a much less common technique than finding the right size in the first place.

Nope, I wasn't guessing, was sharing facts lol I speak to him almost daily and that is exactly what he did... it is not possible to find standard diameter tubing in like 14.4 OD or whatever Arizer uses, so yes he expanded

Last edited:
Shit Snacks,
Reactions: XpeeN
Top Bottom