Advice on fucking combustion by leveraging filtration to our advantage

Postlark

Over the years I have gone back and forth from combustion to vaporizing. This last time converting I found a method which I found quite helpful.

The idea is to progressively filter the smoke more and more, by using an increasing number of filters (or using filters that filter more thoroughly) over a period of weeks. But first a comment on the filter types.

So the main types I have tried are charcoal, cotton, and the brown shredded paper fiber ones. Many years back I read some studies on the mcfinn triple filtered pipe (uses water, charcoal, and cotton) and how harmful substances were greatly reduced. This lead me then to make my own version, and the results were in the general direction of smoothness/harm reduction that a vape brings. Since my main use was joints, I never really got into using the bong like this.

Now there exist on the market many solutions for joint smokers. In terms of effect the cotton is similar but more thorough in filtering than the paper fiber. The charcoal is the most open and leaves some bite on the throat, however it removes some tongue bite that the others don't.

The Raw cotton filters are very tight and can be ripped and used loose for more open airflow. A 6mm paper fiber filter fits nested inside a 7mm charcoal filter, this is the best combination and makes the smoke of a joint nearly as smooth as a harsh vaporizer.

The idea in order to convert from combustion to vapor is to start with a charcoal filter added to the joint. Then after some weeks add a paper fiber filter. Then after some more time switch the paper fiber for the cotton, or use all 3. As more filtration is added, I believe 3 different effects which aid in fucking combustion seem to occur.

1. The body is slowly weaned from the toxic substances and their buzz. Part of the smoking high is pure intoxication from co2, benzene and others.

2. The experience is muted in both flavor and effect, and becomes less pleasurable.

3. The draw becomes hard and cumbersome.

These seem to help trick the brain into favoring vaporizing, as it will be a much easier, flavorful, pleasurable, and effective experience.

It is also very important to research and pick what heavy users consider an effective vaporizer. The advice given by a once a week user that is blown away by a dynavap is of no use to someone who has been combusting for multiple times a day for a decade or more. In my opinion, a less than effective vaporizer will not satisfy this person even if they run multiple grams in a single sitting (DaVinci iq or the Plenty come to mind).

Hope this is of use to someone out there.

Postlark,
Reactions: cosimo

simba

@weedanwine
As someone who combusted for over 20 years with tobacco mixed joints. I think the only way to truly switch is to force yourself and have a range of vaporizers to try and see what works for you.

The filter thing might work for some? I remember when I combusted though I wouldn't use any and hated them.

Perfect_Speed4069

I am the beetle in a box that only you can see
Hilariously I vaped flower, whilst continuing to combust hash with tobacco. I told myself the hash tasted better with tobacco for a good 3 years. It didn't. But I managed to convince myself for a very very long time.

Perfect_Speed4069,

2tiki

I didn't realize it was difficult for people to switch to vaping. I had smoked MJ for years, then tried a good vape and found the experience so much better, immediately, that I switched on the spot. Went years just vaping instead of smoking. Then one day decided to try smoking MJ again because the vape I had broke. It was awful. Tasted disgusting and hurt my throat and lungs so bad, I can't imagine ever going back.

Rodney

On tabletopbong YouTube channel he uses this charcoal stem thing to smoke a joint I am sure

not sure what video it is so will need to check.

Rodney,

simba

@weedanwine
Hilariously I vaped flower, whilst continuing to combust hash with tobacco. I told myself the hash tasted better with tobacco for a good 3 years. It didn't. But I managed to convince myself for a very very long time.

Nicotine gets you like that 🙄

I can't imagine ever going back.

Indeed, it's just horrific combusting now. I can do without the constant carbon monoxide poisoning 😂

Rodney

2. The experience is muted in both flavor and effect, and becomes less pleasurable.

Get a Screwball then come back and tell us the effect and experience is less than pleasurable :D

What devices did you try? as if you only tried S&B devices then this may be why you are getting less than desired effects. I have the Mighty+ and Volcano and never use them.

Rodney,
Reactions: simba

666Honeybadger

Unknown member
Get a Screwball then come back and tell us the effect and experience is less than pleasurable

It's about gradually making the joint/combustion/smoke habit/experience less enjoyable/more muted, so it's not referring to vaping being less pleasurable, on the contrary.

Because:
These seem to help trick the brain into favoring vaporizing, as it will be a much easier, flavorful, pleasurable, and effective experience.

After that:

It is also very important to research and pick what heavy users consider an effective vaporizer.

:tup:

666Honeybadger,

Postlark

As someone who combusted for over 20 years with tobacco mixed joints. I think the only way to truly switch is to force yourself and have a range of vaporizers to try and see what works for you.

The filter thing might work for some? I remember when I combusted though I wouldn't use any and hated them.
Yes my experience is also with tobacco mix. It is not too hard as cannabis is also good for withdrawal from a number of substances, what I outline is just a little push in the right direction.

Get a Screwball then come back and tell us the effect and experience is less than pleasurable :D

What devices did you try? as if you only tried S&B devices then this may be why you are getting less than desired effects. I have the Mighty+ and Volcano and never use them.
Maybe I was not clear but the three points I make are about the experience of smoking with one or multiple filters, and not about vaping. I am trying to make the point that overfiltering the smoke on purpose will make it less enjoyable/effective/effortless which makes the vaporizer seem all the more desirable, easing the switch to vaping.

Btw I think the table top bong thing you are referring to might be a charcoal filtered pipe.... I have a faint idea of watching a review of that

Postlark,
Reactions: Rodney
Top Bottom