Advice on Diy distillate carts, or reliable alternatives. (UK based)

FatFreddy

Hi there folks,
A little bit of background first. Have been enjoying the benefits of our favourite herb for over 40 years now.
Gave up tobacco 25 years ago and used an old fashioned wooden pipe to smoke my stash neat from then on.
I always used to use resin just because my wife doesn’t partake, and finds the smell of herb unpleasant (weird I know, but I love her anyway ♥️).

Then, three years ago, I switched to dry vaping. Once I’d got used to it, it was a revelation and I can’t ever really imagine returning to combustion as a method.
Over time, it became harder and harder to locate decent quality resin until about a year ago my most reliable supplier retired (he’s in his 70’s so fair enough) and all I could get hold of was herbal product or VERY low quality hash.
This was fine, except the smell gets into everything over time and it was becoming a source of domestic unrest.

In the course of researching other options like shatter and wax I came across a supplier of distillate vape carts. (Not sure whether to name drop him on here or not?)
They were a bit pricey but... Cue another revelation.... dry vaping hash takes aaaages (with my cheap portable vape) but the carts achieve the same effect in seconds AND (a massive plus for the Mrs) are virtually aroma free.

So that’s been me for the last year and a half. The guy who made them did a postal service, and if I got a few at a time, the price went down. All very civilised and when out and about, super discrete!

Until, disaster, my supplier has just dropped off the scene.
So, I have been looking for another supplier but a) people are naturally cagey, so even finding a supplier is hard, b)hard to find a supplier whose product I trust (I was offered a cart the other day and the “distillate “ was a bright pink colour “because it’s raspberry flavour”....erm, no thanks.

So that has led me to look into the idea of purchasing distillate and/or extracts and filling my own carts. Trouble is, I have NO idea what I’m doing.

I think I have a supplier for distillate but the minimum order is £800 and I have no idea of the quality or strength of the product, OR whether you can just fill a cart with it direct and vape away or do you need to dilute/mix it with something first.

It crosses my mind that maybe there is a go to “brand” (bearing in mind I’m in the UK so every bloody thing is black market) that is recognised for quality and reliability?

Anybody else on here fill their own carts? And what kind of carts are best to use? I understand that some of the cheapo ones have potential health issues due to what they are made from?

Apologies if all this information is available on here, I did try to look but kept going down dead end threads so resorted to asking you all directly.

Thanks in advance for your help. 👍

Tranquility

Sometimes, I forget how much things have changed in so few years. Being in a "legal" state, I just don't have those problems any longer. When I was making my own carts, I found it too messy too quickly and was not trying to make something from nothing but trying to save a few dollars so didn't get the skills or knowledge that could help. Sorry. But, I feel for you.

FatFreddy

Thanks @Siebter appreciate it. Thing is I’m hoping to avoid this level of DIY. I’m more hoping to be able to purchase the distillates or extracts and then put them in my own carts. But I have some serious knowledge gaps as to what is suitable to put directly in a cart and what isn’t.
Are there any “go-to” products that people use to do this?

FatFreddy,

FatFreddy

Also, read some horror stories of people getting lung damage from using cheap carts made from unsuitable materials.
Is there “go-to” cart manufacturer that folk prefer?
I used to keep up with stuff like this but as I get older, and as SO much has changed lately, I feel like I’m fumbling around in the dark here.
Please do, you probably have a better idea where to look than me. I remember a world without internet and find the sheer weight of information a bit overwhelming sometimes. A little help from folk who find all this familiar will help me target the info I want without trawling through a thousand pages of rubbish. Thanks 🙏

FatFreddy,

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
Also, read some horror stories of people getting lung damage from using cheap carts made from unsuitable materials.
Those lung incidents were caused by unsuitable cutting agents (vitamin e acetate), not by faulty devices or cheap materials. I don't think that's an issue anymore, and I don't think these cutting agents have even been used outside the u.s.

FatFreddy

Those lung incidents were caused by unsuitable cutting agents (vitamin e acetate), not by faulty devices or cheap materials. I don't think that's an issue anymore, and I don't think these cutting agents have even been used outside the u.s.
Thanks, that’s good to know.👍

FatFreddy,

badbee

Hi @Fat Freddy, I'm no expert but have filled my own distillate carts. It came from a legal dispensary here in WA state. Generally distillate is thin enough to use directly in a cart without adding any additional terps. Keep a vial\syringe in your pocket for 10 minutes until it's all the way up to body temp then turn it over (need some small air space). If it starts to slowly flow and move within a couple of minutes it is thin enough to use as is. If it doesn't flow at all you likely need to add terpenes as a thinner, they are readily available online. No more than one or two tiny drops per gram of distillate, remember you can always add more but over thinning is disastrous.

Many people, myself included, feel safest with carts from CCell and Spark. They appear well made, work well, and the hope is that they have a reputation to protect and will be careful about materials, there is no hard proof they are better. I don't love carts but continue to use them occasionally for the convenience. Home made carts leak about the same amount as good legal ones. I expect minor leakage from 1 in 2 and significant leakage and some loss from about 1 in 10.

The most important rule of transferring oil is never try to put warm oil into a small cold container, always warm the target container as much or more than the oil.

FatFreddy

Hi @Fat Freddy, I'm no expert but have filled my own distillate carts. It came from a legal dispensary here in WA state. Generally distillate is thin enough to use directly in a cart without adding any additional terps. Keep a vial\syringe in your pocket for 10 minutes until it's all the way up to body temp then turn it over (need some small air space). If it starts to slowly flow and move within a couple of minutes it is thin enough to use as is. If it doesn't flow at all you likely need to add terpenes as a thinner, they are readily available online. No more than one or two tiny drops per gram of distillate, remember you can always add more but over thinning is disastrous.

Many people, myself included, feel safest with carts from CCell and Spark. They appear well made, work well, and the hope is that they have a reputation to protect and will be careful about materials, there is no hard proof they are better. I don't love carts but continue to use them occasionally for the convenience. Home made carts leak about the same amount as good legal ones. I expect minor leakage from 1 in 2 and significant leakage and some loss from about 1 in 10.

The most important rule of transferring oil is never try to put warm oil into a small cold container, always warm the target container as much or more than the oil.
Thanks fella , excellent advice 👍

FatFreddy,
Top Bottom