• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Tek Advanced Dry-Sift Based QWET Tek

Vapology

Also, don't dry-sift. Maybe to save ethanol?
I qwet my dry sift and it definitely saves me lots of ethanol. Also it’s much easier to handle the lesser amount of ethanol in the jars during the filtering process in the freezer.
Qweting dry sift makes totally sense for me.

For vacuum purging I use a glas desiccator - it works flawless with my oil free vacuum pump.

Last edited:
Vapology,

Deleted Member 1643

Always wonder if these techniques also remove the trichomes that aren't on the ends of stalks (sessile glands?). No difference in yield or effect versus flower?

Using an ESPRO coffee/tea press now. After pressing the first run, the volume of flower is much less. It's also easier to handle than jars and keeps everything cold.

Vapology

Hi @Monsoon
I am a big fan of your dry sift qwet technique. Thanks for sharing

What do you exactly mean with cross-contamination? Don’t mix different strains or don’t mix different batches even when it is the same strain?
After I finish filtering, I re-filter the solution once or twice more using a few stacked "slow" filters, rinsing the containers with alcohol each time to limit cross-contamination

Do you filter in the freezer? How can you even filter when the pump is disconnected and not sucking a vaccum?
For the buchner funnel I suggest hooking it up to your vac chamber under full vac (pump disconnected) and use that instead of a hand pump.

Vapology,
Reactions: Monsoon

Monsoon

What do you exactly mean with cross-contamination? Don’t mix different strains or don’t mix different batches even when it is the same strain?
What I meant was if you're going to filter the solution a second time you'll want to make sure your containers are completely clean. If they're dirty then you're filtering for nothing.

Do you filter in the freezer? How can you even filter when the pump is disconnected and not sucking a vaccum?
I just filter it on the kitchen counter, freezer would be better but the process is done quick enough that it's not essential. If you suck the air out of your vac chamber, the chamber itself will be under full vacuum. When you hook it up to the flask with the funnel setup, it will suck the air from the flask into the chamber and the remaining vacuum will be enough to pull the solution through the filters. Once all the solution is gone, it'll break the seal and you'll lose the vacuum.

Same with purging, you don't need to keep the vac running all the time and you shouldn't unless you have a cold trap. I live in an apartment so can't run it for several hours or days straight and it's not necessary anyway.

Deleted Member 1643

Last year's abundant harvest provided ample opportunity to hone QWET skills. Documented the last run.

Espro.jpg

Freeze-dried flower broken up in the ESPRO coffee press.

freezer.jpg

Ready for the deep freeze: two pint thermos bottles filled with 95% EtOH; ESPRO press, Chemex coffee flask with metal coffee filter and strainer.

firstwash.jpg

The first wash.

reduction.jpg

boat.jpg

Instead of scraping, transfer reduced ethanol to a PTFE boat before final evaporation.

Lately, getting quicker purges if the concentrate hasn't quite solidified when it's transferred to vacuum.

purge.gif

This is the initial application of vacuum. The concentrate settles down after a few minutes.

24hours.jpg

After 24 hours and breaking vacuum a few times. Ready to fold.

fold.jpg

Lately, setting this on a heating pad and rolling flat, like cookie dough, before returning to vacuum.

muffin.jpg

Muffining upon return to vacuum.

final.jpg

A few days later, the finished slab. This still expands slightly under vacuum, but there's no discernible change upon folding and returning. Expect trace solvent is trapped under purge conditions.

Last edited:
Top Bottom