About NewFC: how we got here and where we hope to go

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Welcome to the NewFuckCombustion Lifeboat.

This forum has been created in anticipation of the demise of our beloved forum FuckCombustion.

As many members know, vtac, the founder and sole administrator of FC, has been absent for many months—since April 14, 2018 to be exact. Unfortunately, he did not leave anyone with enough power to perform several important administrative tasks. This situation has slowly deteriorated to the point where we felt we either had to abandon the site and the community, or take drastic action. We therefore built a lifeboat.

These are the problems FC is facing:
  • The owner and administrator hasn’t been heard from for over two years.
  • The domain is registered only until October 26, 2020. We don't know if it will be renewed. We expect that it won't.
  • Hosting service renewal is anyone’s guess, although it is likely tied to domain renewal.
  • The forum software hasn’t been updated since vtac left and the current version is no longer supported.
  • We are unable to update critical parts of FC without an admin (maintain rules, add/remove staff, assign members to groups such as Retailer, etc.)
  • The database is showing increasing signs of instability. This is not yet apparent to members but quite noticeable to moderators.
  • We do not know if the database is backed up, and even if it is, we don't have the access needed to restore a backup.
  • The daily bombardment of spammers is maddening and difficult to manage. We lack the ability to strengthen the registration procedure.
  • FC does not support SSL (https).
All attempts to contact vtac have failed. If FC goes offline for any reason, this community ceases to exist. With reluctance, we have bought a new domain and purchased the latest version of the forum software. We are building a new forum that fixes the problems. We are striving for a familiar look but with the many enhancements that come with the latest software. There will be differences but we hope they will be positive.

One difference is sponsorship. While FC has several sponsors and we know some of them would gladly provide financial support, we do not have sponsors and we are not looking for sponsors.

Meanwhile, we will try to get everyone moved over to the new FC as best we can. This will not be easy and we will have to leave behind much of the vast knowledge base that has built up at FC. We can only keep our fingers crossed that it does not disappear, but realistically, that is the most likely outcome. There have been efforts by some valued members of the FC community to back up the content, but at present we do not know how to integrate this into NewFC. If we can, we will try to make this available in some form.

For now, this is the only active thread. We will open the forum to new threads once members begin moving over, but for now please look around and post your reactions here.

Thanks for reading this, and let's all try to make the best of our new home.

Stu & pakalolo

Edit: We've started to open up some of the sub-forums. Also, there are some rules differences from FC, so please make sure that you review our rules and policies.

Last edited:

IAmKrazy2

Darth Vapor
Welcome to the NewFuckCombustion Lifeboat.

This forum has been created in anticipation of the demise of our beloved forum FuckCombustion.

As many members know, vtac, the founder and sole administrator of FC, has been absent for many months—since April 14, 2018 to be exact. Unfortunately, he did not leave anyone with enough power to perform several important administrative tasks. This situation has slowly deteriorated to the point where we felt we either had to abandon the site and the community, or take drastic action. We therefore built a lifeboat.

These are the problems FC is facing:
  • The owner and administrator hasn’t been heard from for over two years.
  • The domain is registered only until October 26, 2020. We don't know if it will be renewed. We expect that it won't.
  • Hosting service renewal is anyone’s guess, although it is likely tied to domain renewal.
  • The forum software hasn’t been updated since vtac left and the current version is no longer supported.
  • We are unable to update critical parts of FC without an admin (maintain rules, add/remove staff, assign members to groups such as Retailer, etc.)
  • The database is showing increasing signs of instability. This is not yet apparent to members but quite noticeable to moderators.
  • We do not know if the database is backed up, and even if it is, we don't have the access needed to restore a backup.
  • The daily bombardment of spammers is maddening and difficult to manage. We lack the ability to strengthen the registration procedure.
  • FC does not support SSL (https).
All attempts to contact vtac have failed. If FC goes offline for any reason, this community ceases to exist. With reluctance, we have bought a new domain and purchased the latest version of the forum software. We are building a new forum that fixes the problems. We are striving for a familiar look but with the many enhancements that come with the latest software. There will be differences but we hope they will be positive.

One difference is sponsorship. While FC has several sponsors and we know some of them would gladly provide financial support, we do not have sponsors and we are not looking for sponsors.

Meanwhile, we will try to get everyone moved over to the new FC as best we can. This will not be easy and we will have to leave behind much of the vast knowledge base that has built up at FC. We can only keep our fingers crossed that it does not disappear, but realistically, that is the most likely outcome. There have been efforts by some valued members of the FC community to back up the content, but at present we do not know how to integrate this into NewFC. If we can, we will try to make this available in some form.

For now, this is the only active thread. We will open the forum to new threads once members begin moving over, but for now please look around and post your reactions here.

Thanks for reading this, and let's all try to make the best of our new home.

Stu & pakalolo

Yes - very well written. I will see everyone on the other side. Stay vaped.

ginolicious

This is truly depressing. I called the OG site home for many years. It was a safe space. And I felt honoured to contribute to it. Not only that, I feel honoured the mods sent me a message to join this one giving me the heads up. This did come as a slight surprise. And does pain me.

I would like to say thank you to the mods for creating this place.

I guess my post count doesn’t transfer over does it? I’m slightly joking. Wow. This totally blind sided me.

let’s make this new place just as good as the first

ginolicious

Thanks guys! Love the look of the new site.

The FC lives on!

I gotta figure out how to transfer my avatar over too.

go to tor OG site and save your photo. And then upload it. That’s is what I did.

Also I was perusing, and we can talk about cultivation in this forum?unfucking real

Curious, how long is the edit function good for? Make it maybe 8-12 hours?

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
go to tor OG site and save your photo. And then upload it. That’s is what I did.

Also I was perusing, and we can talk about cultivation in this forum?unfucking real

Thanks to everyone for the warm fuzzies.

The edit window is still 6 hours.

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Sorry to hear the old place may be gone but grateful to be invited to the new.
Thanks Pak, Stu and all involved.
Sorry for my naivety, but how does one go about finding and securing sponsors?

We hope FC will be with us for a while yet, but it's inevitable it will go and we had to do something to preserve the community.

We do not have sponsors and we have no plans to take on any at this point. If we ever do, we won't have to look far. We've already had offers.

ginolicious

I still can’t understand how Vtac was absent for so long. And we were sailing without a Captain. Like I just don’t understand why someone would keep a site alive and a message board running that was outdated. It makes no sense to me. I struggle with the rationale behind it.

EmDeemo

ACCOUNT INACTIVE
I still can’t understand how Vtac was absent for so long. And we were sailing without a Captain. Like I just don’t understand why someone would keep a site alive and a message board running that was outdated. It makes no sense to me. I struggle with the rationale behind it.

People have lives and move on. Theres more than likely no rationale at all :)

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member

There's no point in speculating about this. We don't know why he vanished and we can only hope that he's safe somewhere. It's quite possible—and I think likely—that he did not have control over his circumstances insofar as FC is concerned. He really cared about FC.

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.

Thanks, I don't see how I can select the picture in order to save it? It just gives me the option to choose a new file or delete my current avatar.

and BTW, fuck yeah! a cultivation section!!!! Finally :p

Last edited:
Top Bottom