A Very Interesting Topic to Consider (Jury Nullification)

lwien

The very first thing I thought about when I read the title of this thread was the OJ Simpson trial, my first taste of jury nullification. It was a pretty amazing thing to watch. I was like...............WTF ??? :o

lwien,

VWFringe

Naruto Fan
is this supposed to be common knowledge? it totally needs a different name

this is huge, Dude. I can't help but think I should know about this...?

too funny the defense and judge aren't allowed to tell the jury

they should add an educational blurb to the jury process to let people know, maybe with famous examples

VWFringe,

BillieBudd

VWFringe...I remember reading recently that some one was arrested (and charged, I believe with jury tampering) for passing out a pamphlet explaining nullification on the steps of the court house...
The place for teaching it is a freshman civics class in High School...alas, that seems to be extinct...

BillieBudd,

djonkoman

could come in handy(for you US citizens at least)

but I think that whole jurysystem is weird... why would you let the entire case depend on some random uninformed people? and according to what I've seen in tv-shows(fiction) it's not uncommon that people will just say something random to get away from it
here it's just the judge that gives the sentence

djonkoman,

OO

Technical Skeptical
BillieBudd said:
VWFringe...I remember reading recently that some one was arrested (and charged, I believe with jury tampering) for passing out a pamphlet explaining nullification on the steps of the court house...
http://reason.com/blog/2011/03/16/jury-nullification-activist-ca
Scary isn't it.

i was dismissed from a jury because i said that driving while impaired and blowing over a .08 BAC were the same offense in the case i was going to be assigned to.

i said i would not convict on the .08 unless it could be proved to me that anyone who has over a .08 BAC is unsafe to drive (i've never seen a study that says so), OR prove to me that she was guilty of the other charge, which was driving while intoxicated (all they have to prove is unsafe behavior).

OO,

LivingInSpin

Maybe this is why public schools don't often teach civics anymore. An ignorant populous is an easy to control populous.

Sad that the State has to resort to finding the most uninformed jury possible to get its convictions.

This reminds me of a video with Barry Cooper, of KopBusters fame.

He turns himself in on video with "jury nullification" written on his forehead.

Barry Cooper

Thanks OO, this becoming common knowledge could curb some of the rampant persecution that occurs.

LivingInSpin,

OO

Technical Skeptical
LivingInSpin said:
Maybe this is why public schools don't often teach civics anymore. An ignorant populous is an easy to control populous.

Sad that the State has to resort to finding the most uninformed jury possible to get its convictions.

This reminds me of a video with Barry Cooper, of KopBusters fame.

He turns himself in on video with "jury nullification" written on his forehead.

Barry Cooper

Thanks OO, this becoming common knowledge could curb some of the rampant persecution that occurs.

Thank you for this post, i've only recently been exposed to barry, and i'm liking him more and more.

OO,

VWFringe

Naruto Fan
can we get this stickied?

(give me some slack, that's like only the secnd time i've said that)

VWFringe,
Top Bottom