A Great Reason to Limit who you do Buisiness With

OO

Technical Skeptical
OO,

VWFringe

Naruto Fan
Chase says nothing except email addresses of Chase customers got stolen, they sent me an email yesterday morning:

Chase is letting our customers know that we have been informed by Epsilon, a vendor we use to send e-mails, that an unauthorized person outside Epsilon accessed files that included e-mail addresses of some Chase customers. We have a team at Epsilon investigating and we are confident that the information that was retrieved included some Chase customer e-mail addresses, but did not include any customer account or financial information. Based on everything we know, your accounts and confidential information remain secure. As always...
As a reminder, we recommend that you:
Don't give your ....User ID or password in e-mail.

Good advice, since it seems their email company's security isn't as good, or that's obviously what they want us to think anyway.

Is there any way to limit our exposure when it comes to credit card companies tho?

Are some known to be worse at keeping our info secure? I think there's reports on this, but I think some companies might just be better at keeping a lid on it too. When I Google the phrases "credit card company" and "story suppression" curiously I get zero hits...?

VWFringe,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
We got the same email from Chase. So far, we have been ok, though.

Vicki,

OO

Technical Skeptical
VWFringe said:
Is there any way to limit our exposure when it comes to credit card companies tho?
don't use them.

they'll most likely end up going bankrupt anyways and then coming to the government to take your tax money.

OO,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
I received the same message from one of my retail credit card companies. I think that the use of epsilon is wide spread. I think OO might have it right when he says the answer is to not to use credit at all! :disgust:

momofthegoons,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
Our account with Chase is not a credit card. Guess we need to start using the mattress. LOL

Vicki,

OO

Technical Skeptical
i really don't like the whole credit system, but if you must have credit, there are other options, like credit unions for example.

OO,

VWFringe

Naruto Fan
OO said:
i really don't like the whole credit system, but if you must have credit, there are other options, like credit unions for example.

I agree wholeheartedly

...we got the cards to get the house
expecting increases and promotions

now they have us by the gonads

(it's supposed to read like a poem, hehe)

VWFringe,

OO

Technical Skeptical
why would you ever agree to pay for something that you weren't 100% certain you would be able to pay for?

OO,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
^^
I don't use credit cards to buy things that I can't afford. I use credit cards for dual reasons; to not carry much cash or to purchase things that are more than what the balance is in the household checking. Any credit debt is paid off each month. Makes things easier. Until shit like this happens. Then it gives you pause for thought. The more credit you carry, the more you put yourself "out there" and the easier it is to steal your identity. :disgust:

momofthegoons,

Carbon

I already got e-mails from Chase, Best Buy, 1-800 Flowers, and another that I forget. It seems everyone is using these guys.

Carbon,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
momofthegoons said:
^^
I don't use credit cards to buy things that I can't afford. I use credit cards for dual reasons; to not carry much cash or to purchase things that are more than what the balance is in the household checking. Any credit debt is paid off each month. Makes things easier. Until shit like this happens. Then it gives you pause for thought. The more credit you carry, the more you put yourself "out there" and the easier it is to steal your identity. :disgust:

Exactly. My credit card charges never ever exceed what I'm capable of paying in full each month. A lot of people don't function that way, but after a full year of paying off a high credit card bill month after month after I was finally able to afford to do so, I swore I would never get into that situation again. Mainly it was when CDs first came out, or rather when the record companies were finally releasing decent stuff on CDs I went nuts. In the beginning CDs were basically mainstream crap. I remember going into a stereo store for speakers with an LP and the salesman said they don't have a turntable to audition, that it would have to be a CD. I said I don't listen to CDs. He asked why. I said, "when the day comes that they release a Stooges album on CD I'll consider it." But we're past that now.

jeffp,

IAmKrazy2

Darth Vapor
momofthegoons said:
^^

I pay off my two CC's every month, and my chase freedom card gets me cash back. More then 3 years with the card, probally spent more then $25 thousand dollars on it, and paid 0% interest to date.

IAmKrazy2,

hereatlast

I'm with the other CC users on here...bill gets paid at the end of the month. I shudder at the thought of paying interest but realize its a reality that far too many find themselves coping with. I'm disgusted at the predatory lending practices in this country but that won't stop me from swiping my card cautiously.

FWIW, like IAmKrazy2, I get cash back rewards on my CC as well though the amount is negligible at best: spend around $1500-2500 to get $25...ugh, I"ll take it.

hereatlast,

aesthyrian

Blaaaaah
OO said:

Totally, credit unions are where it's at. More people need to leave their big banks and go to a credit union where you have say and input on whats done with any profit made off of YOU. Credit unions aren't talked about enough IMO.

aesthyrian,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
aesthyrian said:
OO said:

Totally, credit unions are where it's at. More people need to leave their big banks and go to a credit union where you have say and input on whats done with any profit made off of YOU. Credit unions aren't talked about enough IMO.

So far, this email thing is the only problem we have had with Chase. They did just take away our "points program," and we are wondering what else they might do, like end our free checking. Only problem with credit unions around here is that there are few of them. Less locations, less free ATM access, no branches close to where we live, etc.

Vicki,

OO

Technical Skeptical
Vicki said:
aesthyrian said:
OO said:

So far, this email thing is the only problem we have had with Chase. They did just take away our "points program," and we are wondering what else they might do, like end our free checking. Only problem with credit unions around here is that there are few of them. Less locations, less free ATM access, no branches close to where we live, etc.
find out if any of the local ones use atms in the area, where i live nearly all of the credit unions share in the co-op system that allows free withdrawals from any atm with a co-op logo (quite a few of them, every 7 eleven has one) many if not all allow direct deposit, if that isn't an option, generally there are other options offered for depositing checks without driving out to a branch.

it's better than giving your money to a bank that will take all of your money, go bankrupt, and then take it back out of your taxes.

OO,

aesthyrian

Blaaaaah
OO said:
Vicki said:
aesthyrian said:

find out if any of the local ones use atms in the area, where i live nearly all of the credit unions share in the co-op system that allows free withdrawals from any atm with a co-op logo (quite a few of them, every 7 eleven has one) many if not all allow direct deposit, if that isn't an option, generally there are other options offered for depositing checks without driving out to a branch.

it's better than giving your money to a bank that will take all of your money, go bankrupt, and then take it back out of your taxes.

Yep, and my credit union will allow me to withdrawal from ANY atm up to 10 times a month and they will waive any fee's. All credit unions are different but they usually have some sort of program to help with the atm access.

Hell Bank of America has an atm every damn block and look what they do. Atm's shouldn't be the only deciding factor, but I understand the possible inconvenience if you're use to instant money access(which is a lot of peoples problems I believe).

aesthyrian,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
I'll ask again about the ATM's. Everytime I asked before, the credit union charge would be credited, but not the fee from the other bank. I hate paying to get my own money, I will avoid doing that like the plague.

Vicki,

aero18

vaporist
aesthyrian said:
Yep, and my credit union will allow me to withdrawal from ANY atm up to 10 times a month and they will waive any fee's. All credit unions are different but they usually have some sort of program to help with the atm access.

I get unlimited, free ATM withdrawals from my credit union. They were even considerate enough to place them inside the dorms on my university's campus. How convenient is that?

aero18,
Top Bottom