A food question for anyone who has been to Jamaica?

tdavie

Unconscious Objector
I'm definitely NOT looking for fine dining. What I'm after is local food (seafood, ackee, salted cod, pigeon peas and rice, jerked chicken, jerked goat, patties, etc) and especially Ital food (the Rastafarian vegetarian diet). I'm okay with eating at a roadside stop or street vendor in Jamaica and small (10 tables or less) restaurants are what I would like to try. I do prefer spicy food. And as far as dress code goes, except for what is required in an Ital restaurant, forget it. If I can't go casual, I won't go. I will be hoteled near Negril, but am quite okay to wander all over in search of the best food.

What I don't want is steak, pasta, pizza, burgers and similar.

Any foodies out there? Any tips, tricks, hints or advice gladly taken.

Thanks

Tom

[Edit] This is the kind of food I am talking about.

Escoveited fish - fish covered in a spicy marinade, fried, and covered in vinegar, onions, and hot peppers.
Festival - fried cornmeal dumpling paired with fried or jerked meats.
Escovitch Lobster - lobster drenched in a hot vinegar sauce.
Hominy corn porridge - thick breakfast porridge flavored with coconut milk.
Fritters - various vegetables and meats coated in batter and deep fried.
Bulla - flat, round cake made of molasses, flour, and baking powder.
Coconut drops - boiled coconut and sugar, hardened into candy.
Dukunnu (also called blue draws and tie a leaf) - yam or green bananas mixed with cornmeal and sweet spices to make a pudding that is wrapped in banana leaves.
Gizzada - coconut tart.
Grater cake - grated coconut in fondant.

[End Edit]

tdavie,

tranceporter

The Cloud Conductor
Visit hellshire beach and have the steamed fish with festival from the hut. Fish is fresh as it gets, it's rather amazing. I havent been to JA in years.

tranceporter,

tdavie

Unconscious Objector
DrPiff said:
Visit hellshire beach and have the steamed fish with festival from the hut. Fish is fresh as it gets, it's rather amazing. I havent been to JA in years.

Noted and marked as a google map reference. Thanks; this is exactly the kind of stuff I am looking for. Much appreciated.

Tom

tdavie,
Top Bottom