510 DIY dry herb vape

PPN

Volute of Vapor
Hi Guys, I'm not sure a dedicaced thread is the best but I didn't know where to post my own creation.

I built an atty using the following parts:

- Quartz Quest V1 deck
- SS wire I got from @Pipes with the Project
- Wood heater cover I re-sized (Got it from @RastaVapa but it was a part of a butane vape!)
- S&B dosing capsules
- Mouthpieces (I have glass, wpa 18mm and silicone)

I choosed to use a S&B capsule cause my bet is to built a "no stirring needed" atty, here a pic of the beast on the top of my heavily used Evic:

P1070033.jpg

(nb: the black silicone band is here to block fully or partially 2 tiny air inlets, their purpose is not to increase airflow but to add turbulences... not totally sure they work as expected, for now I tend to don't use them)

Another pic of the dismantled atty, here I used the silicone mp which is my favourite cause it reduce the airflow slightly and it fits directly in any 14mm joints.

P1070034.jpg

As you can see I didn't tried to build a special coil but only build 2 resistances in an easy shape, initially it was a 0.18ohm coil but now it reads 0.23 usually, I have to tighten the screws but it looks like one is not functionning properly... Never had success in TC mod, first it took ages to heat and now it shutt off in power mode directly (I can't see any short). So I use it in power mode with great success at 25-28w, coil get a faint glow after 8s of power activation but without air moving around it. I pre-heat myself with a 3-4s pre-heat and take 10s draw (sometime I add a few seconds if I want more Oomph. The first hit is usually no vapor except if you run 2 full cycles but after that I get a great vapor production.
Initially I inserted 2 fine mesh screens in both ends of the S&B caps, one to act as a filter and another front of the heat in order to avoid hot spots, I removed finally the last one cause it robbed too much heat and reduced vapor production although I got a perfect abv with. Without this screen I can get hot spot if I want very big vapor and If I not rotate a few times the wood heater cover which contains the caps. Abv comes out a bit darker on the center but well vaped on all the thickness of the caps.

The issues I got are the TC issue I can solve with a bit more of reading here or maybe building another coil and the capsule who can fall on the heating element, usually it stucks in the wood body and stay it very well, I even need to take off the silicone mp in order to push it out with a tool. But sometime it fall on the heating element without I'm noticing it cause this is not causing any combustion issue or shorts but I don't think it's healthy to get aluminium in contact with a heated coil. I have to think about that issue even if it happens rarely.

I'll try to post a pic to show vapor production and abv. I always think I scortched my load in regard with the vapor production but when I open the caps I see it's still very light in color, very big vapor, a water tool is required sometimes.

More to come

Mod note: feel free to move this thread in the appropriate thread if it exists, thanks to everybody!

PPN

Volute of Vapor
Thanks @Copacetic , I agree to be a satisfied and proud of himself guy now:freak:

Yes the wood body is very nice, idk which wood it is but there is some black veins which look awesome, I have to give it another layer of wood wax for the next pic.

In my first iteration I wanted to include a sic disc or a glass screen between the heater and the load in order to avoid hot spots and to get more heat retention. But it looks like I have to increase power a lot cause this added part robbed so much heat, at the point where the coil was under red glowing use which is not what I'm looking for.

Taste is not as good as my others convection vapes, I think cause the capsule and no stirs... I correct, it is good but doesn't last long like with a stirred bowl. No harmfull taste, the QQ deck is full metal except the orings for the body fitment. No woody taste too, my first tries wasn't good in taste cause the too high wattage burnt (slightly) the wood body, I tried to insert a SS foil but there wasn't enough room and it was creating atty's shorts.

Last thing which was pretty surprising, the atty's deck doesn't heat a lot and I don't need any insulator between the mod and the atty, it's nice cause helps to lower the setup size.

With the pictured silicone mp the vaporpath is pretty short and cause hot vapor but since it adds some restriction it's manageable, the longer glass mp provides smoother vapor and I can use my Divine tribe water tool adapter (18mm) too.

So this atty is more a heavy hitter than something else since the large load the caps allows and a no brainer since you haven't to stir (it may be a pia to do that here). Although I expect the TC feature can help to get a better taste (which is already not bad at all, I repeat myself).

Copacetic

Somewhere North of The Wall
Yeah, I can see how a large load benefits from temp' control.
If your first hit goes a little too hot (sans TC) then the rest of the load will surely have that overcooked flavour.
For manually controlled vapes I stick to very small loads (to make the most of that 'first hit' flavour), and if I feel the need to carry a vape with a larger load that I can use for an extended period without stirring or reloading, then I choose a regulated model.
It looks as though your vape will definitely benefit from TC.
Keep it up :science:.

PPN

Volute of Vapor
Hi, I have finally be able to fix some issues I got with my atty. It didn't worked in TC mode, and power mode was cause of some black marks on the wood body (with some charred wood taste too!).

First build was at 0.18ohm initially but quickly raised until 0.23 and it looks like there was an inegal glow cause a half loop more maybe... or cause a not well tighten screw too...

So I shortened one of the coil and rebuild the atty with a very tight connexion and now it works in TC mode and resistance is 0.14 (locked), I use a TCR of 180 but need to increase temp until 450°F before to get satisfying clouds, power is sert at 32W. I'm now using this bad boy with an Acer RT mod box.
More testing to come but it looks like TC improves the taste .

PPN

Volute of Vapor
Since the device took ages to heat I had to improve settings... for the best!

No huge changements in term of numbers but results are huges, shorter inhalation, more evenly vaped abv (without stirring, my goal) and best taste (no more charred wood).

So here my new settings: TCR M1 at 190, resistance at 0.14 (locked) and temp between 480-510

First hit is still a sort of blank hit, taste but no vapor but vapor raises after that, a bit more hit by hit to withewall your bubbler at hit n°4. After hit n°5-6 (it depends) taste disminish but vapor production is still great. usually I take 8-10 hits per capsule but use it more like an heavy hitter for now, I'll try to improve sipping aspect later.

Just to mention, no stirring but I rotate the body (and the capsule into) 3-4 times per capsule. If testing continue in a nice way maybe I'll try to acquire some more S&B capsules for on the go.

Thanks to everybody following this thread, I'm not an expert in any ways so try to make one and post your creations here. If you get a lot of spares parts from others vaporizers it might not be too difficult to achieve.

I'm thinking to try the 2xceramic coils I had in the quartz quest but i read somewhere it wasn't very nice for taste... any inputs about ceramic coils for dry herb vaping? Pro? Cons?

d:\program

Since the device took ages to heat I had to improve settings... for the best!

No huge changements in term of numbers but results are huges, shorter inhalation, more evenly vaped abv (without stirring, my goal) and best taste (no more charred wood).

So here my new settings: TCR M1 at 190, resistance at 0.14 (locked) and temp between 480-510

First hit is still a sort of blank hit, taste but no vapor but vapor raises after that, a bit more hit by hit to withewall your bubbler at hit n°4. After hit n°5-6 (it depends) taste disminish but vapor production is still great. usually I take 8-10 hits per capsule but use it more like an heavy hitter for now, I'll try to improve sipping aspect later.

Just to mention, no stirring but I rotate the body (and the capsule into) 3-4 times per capsule. If testing continue in a nice way maybe I'll try to acquire some more S&B capsules for on the go.

Thanks to everybody following this thread, I'm not an expert in any ways so try to make one and post your creations here. If you get a lot of spares parts from others vaporizers it might not be too difficult to achieve.

I'm thinking to try the 2xceramic coils I had in the quartz quest but i read somewhere it wasn't very nice for taste... any inputs about ceramic coils for dry herb vaping? Pro? Cons?

First I wanted to say that this is awesome work you're doing.

Regarding ceramic coils. Da Buddha heater is made from a cermaic type element similar to what is found in a soldering iron. Not long ago I found a manufacturer of a similar heating element online. Quick search resulted in this on amazon https://www.amazon.com/Universal-So...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B07HY2TYM3 Which is basically what I was referring to.

I'm interested in your progress. DIY or die!

d:\program,

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
I'm having a strong deja-vu feeling... and I'm not sure you really want to go down the soldering iron heating element rabbit hole @d:\program...

KeroZen,
  • Haha
Reactions: Fosil

PPN

Volute of Vapor
Just want to say I gave up my project cause it wasn't enough stable in TC mode and tricky in power mode. Tried the ceramic coils from Divine tribe without a lot of vapor production even at 50W in power mode, heating time is very long but the abv cames out as one of the best I got, fully even browned.

I'll come back later to this project but, like somebody mentionned, the metal deck steal too much heat, I suppose a wood one will improve things. So my next goal is to build one/find one but I'm too busy for now!

PPN,
Reactions: KeroZen

PPN

Volute of Vapor
Rebirth!

Finally I get ride of the QQ deck and used my Imp deck and wires, wood deck makes a big difference, faster heat up and more stable TC.

Still use a S&B dosing capsule, no stirs and abv comes out very well spent but I add 2 screens in the cap, one on the top of the load and another on the bottom.

Taste is very good for the first draws and becomes "generic" after, I'm using 180-185°C with a TCR of 190 on my Aster RT (power is 27.5W).

Paired with the Aster this setup is amazingly compact and provides surprisingly smooth hits considering the very short vaporpath. Although I have to consider to increase the airflow cause for now there is 2 air inlets of 1mm wide each, I don't know if it's better to drill one or two others air inlets of the same size or to enlarge the 2 existing ones.... for info I don't like wide free airflow and prefer a bit of restriction, I noticed free airflow is making me to cough more than restricted airflow...

It seems I have a reliable working device now!

PPN,
Reactions: KeroZen

PPN

Volute of Vapor
Hi, I stopped to post here cause it happened the last setup I posted wasn't working well, in fact the wider bowl of the S&B caps doesn't works well with the tiny Imp heater and I ended with a hotspot on the middle and lot of unvaped flowers around... so my Imp was going back to its original form and I gave up that project for a while.

Although I decided to give it another try with an old QQ deck, SS simple thick wire (the one Pipes was selling with the Project) shaped in 2 basic style coils (6 spires per coil), the pictured wood cover, a large screen which fits the wood and a glass tube for mp. It's similar to a Glow 14 cause you load in the wood and insert the glass mp (with a mesh screen stucked in a end), this design permits stirring which is mandatory for that one. I had to enlarge the top's hole, it can fits my tube or a 14mm glass ground joint. I increased the air inlets size a little.

In power mode (idk why but it doesn't want to work in TC mode...), from a cold start it take ages to start to barely glow with power set at 35W, no sign of glow after a whole 10s at 40w, so I tried most of my bowls in the 35-40w range, best vapor production need 40 ( maybe more but I didn't tried).

To be honnest I hesitated to post cause everytime I believed I had a working concept I ended to get enough issues to can't justify to use it. Although I'm testing that last concept since 2 weeks and I like it more everytime I use it!
Too fun!

PPN

Volute of Vapor
Hi, just after that previous post I had my first attempt with wood working and built another DIY 510 atty which is working rather well also. I took a piece of briar (not burl), rectangular, 5.8cm tall and 2.5 cm diameter after I shapped it with a knife (I haven't a woodturner engine... for now!:) ).

After I drilled it, 1.9cm top and 2.0cm bottom, sanded the whole thing and placed a screen, not perfect but it's okay.

Now the heater, I used wires from another dismantled vaporizer, I'm not sure but I believe it's Kanthal cause it's not easy to bend and form, it's simple wires so I used 2 wires in parallel and shapped the coil in a pancake style, that coil is firmy attached in a old QQ deck, I had to replace the o-rings to get the best fitment my my wood body. As well I had to re-work the shape a little to avoid the wires to touch the wood (there is some burning marks sadly).

The resistance show a solid 0.32ohm and I use it on power mode at 38-42w with great success, it's very slow to heat up but heat is very well distributed everywhere on the load, no hot spots at all! It's incredible considering this is the main issue with that sort of gear. I use an @Aezhenn stem (made with some wood I cut myself!) and vapor is very smooth and taste is pretty good despite to be slightly tainted by wood's taste. Tried the TC mode with little success until the mod switches itself in power mode... I never was able to set it back in TC mode.

Before I used that wires to heat a Vaponic since I wasn't sure of the material, I'm not sure anymore but after I saw it to heat a lot of vaponic's loads I'm convinced it's safe... at least there is no fumes or bad taste/smell.

Unlike the other diy atty I posted in the previous post this one isn't stealth at all, mod (Pico)+atty's body+stem= 23.5cm!!

So I'm thinking to my first attempt in electronicals... I want to build a VV/VW pluggin base for that bad guy.

Is somebody have somewhere to find enough infos to make a such power base?
Is somebody can confirm rigid wire (difficult to bent, unlike SS) is Kanthal wire? is there others wires availables than SS, Ni80 and Kanthal?

The wire was shapped around a metal bowl, it was even glued on the bowl with ton of yellow tape around, it took me ages to remove the glue on the wires, I didn't want to heat it up to just burn it cause I was afraid some compounds stay in the wire so I tried to remove as much I could just with gentle scrapping and after I did a few burn-offs and since it was used a lot to heat my Vaponics and there is no fumes or bad taste I'm good to go.

Although I'll probably buy brand new wire for next heater's build.
Have fun!
edit: still no camera at home, will post pic as soon I can!

iDRINKBLEACH

knowing is half the power - Gi-JOE
Accessory Maker
I’m in the middle of a project like this I have a few rda decks, some 20g 316 SS wire one is just single wire the other is two twisted that comes to 24g. Got glass boro rods to cut down and wrap wire around. Now I got my lathe going to make the wooden body for the 510. I have all the supplies just need some one to bounce ideas with. I was thinking of just doing a longer single coil wrapped around a glass rod filled with glass beads. Almost like a g43 and with a tetra x vibe in how it’s used. Oh yeah I have all the supplies to make 510 extension with it.

PPN

Volute of Vapor
Do you means to fill all the room around the coils with glass beads? It's a nice idea although you will have an issue if your deck is metal cause it will rob a lot of heat! Heat sink needed!

I'm in search of glass beads also, but the smaller availables, where did you get yours, please?
Is there very small beads of 1mm availables?

I have an idea for my Hercules...

PPN

Volute of Vapor
You have to figure out what your goals are, IMO glass has way too much mass for a portable, it's gonna use a considerable portion of the limited amount of available battery power just heating up.
I don't know if you was replying to me... or not :)

For my hercules idea it was just to replace the ti coil which comes around the ceramic Hercules heater by small glass beads in order to soak my wax in them although I have to agree the heat up maybe slow, if I can I'll test that by myself and report here!

Enjoy DIY!

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
I don't know if you was replying to me... or not :)

For my hercules idea it was just to replace the ti coil which comes around the ceramic Hercules heater by small glass beads in order to soak my wax in them although I have to agree the heat up maybe slow, if I can I'll test that by myself and report here!

Enjoy DIY!

Sorry, I was referring to @iDRINKBLEACH post.

Always got some new DIY experimenting going on over here! 😁

Hippie

The G43 takes 3 or 4 mins to heat up so you'll need to run it on an extension lead to avoid triggering the mod temperature protection.
I don't think a wooden body will work for that style vape as it's gonna get cooked
I think you're best off using a glass slide like https://oregonglassblower.com/searchquick-submit.sc?keywords=Pinch
Or a carb (or a 3 way or claisen) adapter https://oregonglassblower.com/CARB-ADAPTERS_c52.htm
and posting the wires in thro the sidearm so you can use it either way up ;)
Or there's whip adapters if you don't mind cutting some holes in the side (which then lead me to cutting some slots in a glass stem and putting that in a cup to make a log version too lol)

I've posted about some of my DiY G builds here
Ask away if ya have questions or want to bounce ideas,
I love following the DIY projects on here

iDRINKBLEACH

Accessory Maker
It is getting late but here’s the idea. I’ve slowly been trying to put together the idea and the figure out how to achieve it. Here’s the vague idea.
This is at the power source as they have it hooked up to the atty. instead of the atty being where the air intake is keep it just an air intake I’d like to line with glass adapter to isolate a clean air path. I’m thinking having it being 19mm male for basket and ELB. Instead of I’d like to run a 510 ext off the side of the base to a 510 heater. I have an 18mm rda that fits into a glass 19f to f glass grav labs adapter that I’d like to house a glass rod surrounded by glass beads, or buy 19f with glass tubing so I can cut my own sizing

I need to print the base so it can fit an actual glass piece on top first I need to buy a 3D printer haha.

There’s a v2 with batteries and sled too

iDRINKBLEACH,
Reactions: PPN

iDRINKBLEACH

Accessory Maker
@iDRINKBLEACH Tossing ideas is fun,but when you try to realize them you understand the many shortcomings and obstacles that you have even suspected would present ;) !
Yeah I usually don’t come up with very good game plans and fly by the seat of my pants. I have the heater wrapped around a glass rod and have it glowing faintly at 500 degrees. The rda I have right now doesn’t have air intake and I didn’t want to put carbs in my glass adapter. 314D8CF7-DCA9-4D38-A5E1-2F0F64CB112F.jpeg

this has been something I’ve slowly been working on and the idea has been constantly shifting but now i got a lathe and can make SS or glass lined adapters and wood bodies. I just recently started and I think I might be pretty good at it with practice. Now I have all the stuff I need to start 3D printing in a shopping cart just making some decisions before I pull the trigger. My boss is going to show me how to make designs on it, we use cnc and he uses 3D printer for our work. I started working there a month ago because I wanted to learn these things, and because making a vape is what got me interested in it haha. Now the daunting task to me and where I really need help is electrical... I’m hoping for guidance in the right direction for info. Tomorrow I will see if I still have the coil put together I believe I needed it a bit shorter if I wanted to surround with glass beads.
Yeah I’ve had a lot of fails already and that’s why I rarely bring it up haha, but now I’m on a good track to designing one just need expertise on getting some good hot air. The many obstacles is why it keeps changing and I have to keep learning more new skills ha

Last edited:

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
That 510 is going to get hot as fuck ,probably the peek/rubber o-ring can offgas,maybe also a handle. Maybe you replace it with a ceramic from a bulb socket or smth else . Also with that massive gong you will need a lot of heating time,most mods overheat in continues operation. Wires also are pretty good conductors of heat,so increasing length is partial solution. Let us know how it works for you in the end in your own thread maybe,so we dont derail PPN's project :). Cheers and good luck !
P.S In our country we have a saying : He/It is like a russian heater. Until it heats ,it overheats .

Top Bottom