ZipZap

RastaBuddhaTao

Manufacturer
Gotta love the name... thanks @khelek41girl not only for the name but all the help with the functional prototype. The ZipZap is a vaporizer resembling a metal cigarette with a bullet end. the end is heated and rotates a dial to indicate the approximate temperature (maybe). This is accomplished by using a bi-metal indicator like the Hippie Pipe to indicate when the appropriate temperature(s) is reached (or not). It can be heated with a torch or the Zap Cap (Hey @pakalolo ... where did the ZapCap thread go?) So, you can ZapCap your ZipZap :)

@khelek41girl and I have been testing a few rough prototypes that are functional at best. Picture the bi-metal indicator out of your wall thermostat wired to an old Zion with some mica screwed on lol. The testing simply shows what we believe that you can have an analog temperature indicator (think mini-meat thermometer) rather than a single point temperature indicator. This will give you a visual indication of the approximate temperatures

In order to complete the design constructive feedback is needed on the following:
1. In order to make the unit small, the load size needs to be small and that increases pressure drop. would you rather have a small bowl with high pressure drop or a larger bowl and less pressure drop (draw resistance)
2. If the size of the heater was bigger and made the length of the unit 1" longer but had great vapor quality would you want it longer or shorter and more stealth?
3. What materials are suitable for this type of vaporizer? is there any real benefit to titanium?
4. If cooling was added... how much longer could the unit be? Would a short stealth for on the go as well as a longer cooling version for at home worth while?
5. What range of temperatures would you want the indicator to show?
6. If it only worked with the Zap Cap and not a torch would that be an issue? If it had no temperature indicator and temperature was determined by the time required and the wattage level of the ZapCap... would that be sufficient? Say, at 50 watts and 10 seconds delivered 400 degrees and varying the wattage and time will increase or decrease it. This would increase the reliability and reduce the cost with less parts and would make the unit REALLY small and compact and simplicity is an RBT trait :)

@khelek41girl with your experience with VapCaps and the prototype please provide your valuable feedback to give everyone some talking points as you have first hand insight... and not many more will give a shit :)

khelek41girl

Accessory Maker
Well, so far, the visual indicator has proven helpful, but as muscle memory develops, I have found myself using the visual indicator less and less. I know that 3-5 seconds with a torch gives a nice low temp hit, where 5-8 seconds provides a full flavored rip. Because of the position of the intake holes, the airflow on mine is rather free flowing. I wouldn't mind there being an adjustable airflow control in case I wanted to do mouth to lung hits. We'll have to further develop those ideas as we go. I think the bowl size for my needs is good, as I mostly microdose, but I'm sure others would probably like the option to go bigger if they want to. I don't have a ZapCap to test it with, but induction heating does work rather nicely. I love how versatile everything is. I can't wait until we are able to streamline the external design and make it nice and sleek. I know we kind of just threw a basic functioning prototype together with our limited time we had when you were here, but I have been loving it! Can't wait to hear everyone else's thoughts on it!

TommyDee

Vaporitor
This sounds like fun. Whatcha doin'?

1) Draw resistance sucks [pun intended]
2) Function over vanity.
3) Not a fan of Ti but okay, it is lighter weight.
4) Think modular/optional -Lego
5) Indicators are all relative. I think the vape-world has locked into 120'C-240'C as a common range.
6) No torch option doesn't loose me but expensive heater options will stop me from looking. VapMan was one I really wanted but the heater unit was too expensive so I never ordered one, again, because I hate the smell of butane in the morning. If no torch option then the heater has to be part of the offering, loosing out to an entry level product offering.

Heat indicators; I can tell you that I've been riding an IH on the VC for the last couple of weeks. The draws are phenomenal and the process is still too intense. The biggest hurdle I face is drifting off on the switch. Any errand thought can screw up even a simple two-count. Bottom line; I don't want to have to think about my vape. It should just deliver.

I think an indicator even from 0-1 is more than sufficient. The human eye is pretty good about reading a dial even without delineation. You will soon know what part of the dial you want to be in.

What I can't quite tell from the intro is - is this a vape or an accessory?

Last edited:

yogurtsauce

Big bowl definitely needed. I would rather have a stealth device with only this "zap cap" ONLY if it's not a +$100 heater that is needed. I think it should be $50 vape with $20 heater. If the heater is more than $30, make it usable with a torch.

I am also into this because I have a "The Beast" from mistvape.

oddjobold

Vape swap shop
I will be brutally honest.

This sounds like a vapcap rip off. Vapcap has already been perfected - it will be hard to beat a cap on a simrell vortex.

I tried a 510 vapcap heater (the beast). An IH is far better.

The mi3 was also rehashing old ideas.

The only thing that really interests me is the sprout. However that now needs to compete with the Tiny might. If it was brought out earlier it might have the interest the Tiny might has.

I think your on the wrong path with this IMO.

RastaBuddhaTao

Manufacturer
I'm gleaning @oddjobold you have some insight as to what -this- is?
Pretty sure he has no idea as even I don't know lol. Hey @oddjobold I always appreciate your spirited feedback.

The idea is to take the old torch Supreme design and add a bi-metallic metal strip as an indicator as to the temperature and miniaturize it so that it will fit in the ZapCap... Or, with the advent of the ZapCap a heater that can be charged for a specified time and wattage (aka temperature) and time would be the indicator rather than a noise or a moving bi-metal indicator as in the Hippie Pipe... Or possibly a special stem that can be inserted into the ZapCap to turn it into a vape (thanks for that last idea Zancru).

Basically the ZapCap is on its way into production and with it in mind what else could we do? Thus the reason for the following list of generic ?s

In order to complete the design constructive feedback is needed on the following:
1. In order to make the unit small, the load size needs to be small and that increases pressure drop. would you rather have a small bowl with high pressure drop or a larger bowl and less pressure drop (draw resistance)
2. If the size of the heater was bigger and made the length of the unit 1" longer but had great vapor quality would you want it longer or shorter and more stealth?
3. What materials are suitable for this type of vaporizer? is there any real benefit to titanium?
4. If cooling was added... how much longer could the unit be? Would a short stealth for on the go as well as a longer cooling version for at home worth while?
5. What range of temperatures would you want the indicator to show?
6. If it only worked with the Zap Cap and not a torch would that be an issue? If it had no temperature indicator and temperature was determined by the time required and the wattage level of the ZapCap... would that be sufficient? Say, at 50 watts and 10 seconds delivered 400 degrees and varying the wattage and time will increase or decrease it. This would increase the reliability and reduce the cost with less parts and would make the unit REALLY small and compact and simplicity is an RBT trait

TommyDee

Vaporitor
Okay so this is a vape with a temp indicator which the zapcap conveniently works with.
Furthermore, zapcap works with vapcap as well as a myriad of bowl'd draw tubes (GONG's?) made for logs.

Gotta catch up if one is to participate. Reasonably accurate?

TommyDee,
Reactions: lookhigh

RastaBuddhaTao

Manufacturer
Here is a quick video of the ZipZap. After some thought the bi-metal temperature indicator has been scraped. Given that the ZapCap provides a consistent and uniform heat, the timeout and wattage adjustment on the mod box should provide repeatable results. Given it's use with a torch will require a "sneak up on it" technique. It's a first stab at a high flow convection vape with adjustable airflow ... rubber should hit the road on some prototypes in a few months. If nothing else it will be a fun little toy to complement the ZapCap. As with any first stabs it probably wont hit the heart and be a killer but some ugly ducklings grow to be swans of the industry.

Special thanks to @khelek41girl for her collaboration on this project. Check out all the sick shit on kgwoodcrafts.com and buy some #vaporart from one of the best in the biz!

Excited to hear everyone's thoughts on this one.

Peace, health, happiness and humility

lookhigh

FC member
Looks like FULL convection.:rockon:
I think you may need some kind of cooler in the mouthpiece?

lookhigh,

RastaBuddhaTao

Manufacturer
Looks like FULL convection.:rockon:
I think you may need some kind of cooler in the mouthpiece?
Yeh the unit will fit into any standard vapcap stem. The plan is to offer it with a simple glass cooling mouthpiece as it is a simple and pure low cost solution. Hopefully there is a vapcap mouthpiece expert I can team up with :)

As someone pointed out in the ZapCap thread... this can be used as an on-demand convection vape. Picture instead of a mouthpiece you have a wip to a 14 mm water piece?

khelek41girl

Accessory Maker
Its going to be really neat to be able to make stems that work with so many different devices. Having different options for different experiences while being able to continue using the same stem you've invested your money in, is a definite plus! Its all about being modular these days :)

khelek41girl

Accessory Maker
@TommyDee not yet, no. Honestly, I can't really say I have a solid DD. I am constantly alternating vapes, and rotating them so that they all get love. Last night it was the MFLB and a Dynavap stem, the night before that it was the TinyMight and Firewood 6, and the night before that was the Milaana 2, OG Brick, and ArGo.
I do play around with an early form of the ZipZap but nothing totally official as of yet, as it was in it's earliest infancy and just a proof of concept when Ryan came to visit me in November.
Once I get an official prototype though, I will certainly be putting it through it's paces, and giving it some real dedicated time for testing. I'm really pumped!

RastaBuddhaTao

Manufacturer
Plan to try tips of different materials... Aluminum, Stainless... Maybe Titanium or glass?

This will effect heat-up times and vapor signatures.

This "first cut" heater should teach us a few things and then various heater design improvements can be rapidly tested as it is a simple machined part.

Super simple vapes are interesting... imagine a cigarette vape where the passive heat from a standard lighter produced instant on-demand steller vapor? Entirely possible as there is no denying that there is enough energy there... Call it the RBT CD (Chasing the Dragon) lmao.

Gonna be fun to play with the Zap Cap Zip Zap combo for sure :)

Top Bottom