Discontinued Zion vaporizer

killick

But I like it!
I've seen equipment soaked in salt water for weeks recover surprisingly frequently. I'm more than happy to take my chances with Zion or Milly over most vapes in the event of a dunkeroo. Especially anything with a display. And given a void warranty I have every confidence that it would be up and running again fairly quickly, but still out of warranty, and looking a little 'different' somehow... Wonder if I can get a Fender knob to put on? Maybe the whole device should get tweaked to look like a Marshall amp? Am I a bit high? Heck - who isn't?

killick

But I like it!
@ragnorokk Funny, but I just made a herb/shatter/herb sandwich and was doing a preheat on it when I read your post! I have a conc pad for MV that I've never tried - I've only just either the sammich or an oil herb blob. I'm guessing the pads are a more elegant solution. I'm all about elegance ;)

@ragnorokk Funny, but I just made a herb/shatter/herb sandwich and was doing a preheat on it when I read your post! I have a conc pad for MV that I've never tried - I've only just either the sammich or an oil herb blob. I'm guessing the pads are a more elegant solution. I'm all about elegance ;)
Meh. I use them when my herb stash is low, but I'm drowning in oil. The ss pads do a better job than the hemp fiber, of being reusable. The hemp fiber can get pretty used up during a session. The SS pad I'm working with doesn't do as good a job of keeping the concentrate in one place as I would like, whereas the (unfortunately, eventually disposable) hemp fiber does a good job of keeping the shatter where I want it, at the expense of not tasting quite as pure and getting an abv consistency the longer you use it. I use it to keep my glass clean when I dab and end up with a bunch of condensate already in my fiber, so I throw those wads in my Zion. Turns out my condensate is pretty tasty, so I've been using those little tufts of fiber in the Zion quite a bit lately. Yum.

I also like a good sandwich; I can pack just my stem and it will give vapor much longer than a normal bowl while I'm out for short periods.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Meh. I use them when my herb stash is low, but I'm drowning in oil. The ss pads do a better job than the hemp fiber, of being reusable. The hemp fiber can get pretty used up during a session. The SS pad I'm working with doesn't do as good a job of keeping the concentrate in one place as I would like, whereas the (unfortunately, eventually disposable) hemp fiber does a good job of keeping the shatter where I want it, at the expense of not tasting quite as pure and getting an abv consistency the longer you use it. I use it to keep my glass clean when I dab and end up with a bunch of condensate already in my fiber, so I throw those wads in my Zion. Turns out my condensate is pretty tasty, so I've been using those little tufts of fiber in the Zion quite a bit lately. Yum.

I also like a good sandwich; I can pack just my stem and it will give vapor much longer than a normal bowl while I'm out for short periods.

Yeah with mesh i would be concerned about liquid running down into the Zion when inverted, but I guess thick concentrates stay on the mesh and thinner ones are absorbed? I admittedly don't have much experience at all with em so it is more of an unknown fear, I would feel more confident doing it in a bubbler so the bowl/stem is left in the joint upright so no risk at all of it dripping into Zion (if there ever was)

Shit Snacks

@Shit Snacks I leave a good layer of herb below (above?) the heater. So far no issues. Having said that - wouldn't the heater burn off whatever happens to hit it?

Indeed, I'm sure the heater vaporizes whatever liquid comes out of the stem, this is more unnecessary precaution (like how I hamster my first hits to seat the load before I flip Zion or Milaana uptight so no herb can fall out, though that's not much of a risk/issue really). Herb sandwich would definitely do (done that in other vapes myself a couple times) but then the herbs can get overcooked and spoil taste for me. I'd probably use hemp fiber like Rag over SS mesh, but the mesh RBT will be providing (like the Mi filter) actually seems pretty great... Never saw S&B or FF type pads in person

Shit Snacks,
Reactions: vapen00b
Indeed, I'm sure the heater vaporizes whatever liquid comes out of the stem, this is more unnecessary precaution (like how I hamster my first hits to seat the load before I flip Zion or Milaana uptight so no herb can fall out, though that's not much of a risk/issue really). Herb sandwich would definitely do (done that in other vapes myself a couple times) but then the herbs can get overcooked and spoil taste for me. I'd probably use hemp fiber like Rag over SS mesh, but the mesh RBT will be providing (like the Mi filter) actually seems pretty great... Never saw S&B or FF type pads in person
Actually, the problem is that the oil flows UP the stem as I inhale; It's never once gone the wrong way, due to the heat only being applied to the bowl/pad while convection is going. In normal usage, I let go of the button before my hit is finished, and it cools down while I'm still inhaling, so I end up with a very golden stem. The issue I have, therefore, is that it's not vaporizing a high enough % of my concentrate, vs the amount that dribbles upward. Hemp fixes that. Again, I think a pad made of smaller gauge steel would be way better. I just repurposed a ss hercules pad, cause why not? Answer, it would apprear to me, is because the herc is designed for the concentrate to flow more than it should in this vape. I don't know about the FF pad (no FF experience), but maybe it would work better? I also have not seen the new SS material RBT is using and can't comment.

Shit Snacks

Actually, the problem is that the oil flows UP the stem as I inhale; It's never once gone the wrong way, due to the heat only being applied to the bowl/pad while convection is going. In normal usage, I let go of the button before my hit is finished, and it cools down while I'm still inhaling, so I end up with a very golden stem. The issue I have, therefore, is that it's not vaporizing a high enough % of my concentrate, vs the amount that dribbles upward. Hemp fixes that. Again, I think a pad made of smaller gauge steel would be way better. I just repurposed a ss hercules pad, cause why not? Answer, it would apprear to me, is because the herc is designed for the concentrate to flow more than it should in this vape. I don't know about the FF pad (no FF experience), but maybe it would work better? I also have not seen the new SS material RBT is using and can't comment.

Ah cool thanks bud. I posted what that material looks like in the Milaana thread somewhere, seems you will enjoy using it!

Shit Snacks,

killick

But I like it!
So having read/said all the above, has anyone used straight 00 ss steel wool from the hardware store? For some reason it popped into my head that it's kinda like hemp fibre in a wispy way, but won't gunk up like hemp fibre does. Or maybe I'm just high. It's happened before...

(good catch on vaping reclaimed hemp fibre in Zion - I thought it was only me, and didn't mention it for fear of others looking at me askance. Although I don't really fear that ;)

So having read/said all the above, has anyone used straight 00 ss steel wool from the hardware store? For some reason it popped into my head that it's kinda like hemp fibre in a wispy way, but won't gunk up like hemp fibre does. Or maybe I'm just high. It's happened before...

(good catch on vaping reclaimed hemp fibre in Zion - I thought it was only me, and didn't mention it for fear of others looking at me askance. Although I don't really fear that ;)
Medical grade ss wool would be killer, but I don't know that steel wool is even ss, much less one of the preferred vaping steels.

WakeAndVape

VapeLife X
2zhgq4k.jpg

Andreaerdna

If God is the answer, then the question is wrong
Anyone mention that the Zion is back "in stock" on the RBT website? $320, and $380 for the gold package.

Didn't he said few weeks ago that zion will not more be sold by rbt directly (because of "I hate customers" thing)?

Good luck with rising price, with an already low demand, it is notorious this will help to sell it better

little maggie

Didn't he said few weeks ago that zion will not more be sold by rbt directly (because of "I hate customers" thing)?

Good luck with rising price, with an already low demand, it is notorious this will help to sell it better
I think the low demand is related to the problems with distribution. I think that if it ever gets released demand will increase- unless the new price interferes. It was $169 when I paid for it. I haven't paid $300 or more for any vape and probably wouldn't.

Shit Snacks

Anyone mention that the Zion is back "in stock" on the RBT website? $320, and $380 for the gold package.

Ah yes, must've went up with Milaana. I guess as a why not in case anyone is interested. The price is to drive demand down, obviously needs to catch up building the damn things again, then it may increase. There should be wholesale buying options on the site so that is for retailers. Until orders are caught up maybe the store will remain open afterall, who knows how long, just gives opportunity for those that want it I suppose. No ship date right? :lol:

Yeah I never thought I would, but then my $150 Zion had me buying a $380 Evo while I waited for its return, then when it did I sold the Evo. So I'd say it's fair personally. Now it looks like Milaana is that old early Zion entry level price at $170, its all I've been using for the most part lately so I supported its $199 retail based on comparable vapes I've used/owned... also means more accessories, could for Zion too

I'm going to replace the hercules pad I've been using in my Zion concentrate stem with the ss material my Milaana came with, it's finally doing what I want for shatter use in the Zion. Better surface area with better air flow seemed to make for more hits with my load, and less mess in the stem.

Mulehead

I'm going to replace the hercules pad I've been using in my Zion concentrate stem with the ss material my Milaana came with, it's finally doing what I want for shatter use in the Zion. Better surface area with better air flow seemed to make for more hits with my load, and less mess in the stem.

Rite on! Glad you're having better results.
So are you still backing the SS material with a basket screen, like packing a bowl wth SS material? Or just SS material in stem?
Also about what power level are you having best results with for shatter?

It's so nice to actually start "talking shop" about this vape.

Rite on! Glad you're having better results.
So are you still backing the SS material with a basket screen, like packing a bowl wth SS material? Or just SS material in stem?
Also about what power level are you having best results with for shatter?

It's so nice to actually start "talking shop" about this vape.
It helps that the heater is out there and people can actually experience it now. Previously, talking about it was asking to be hung out to dry for liking the vape you bought :rolleyes:. You'd have thought you were buzz Danklin or slbdco...

I use a screen, like I'm packing a bowl, and pack in the ss material. I opted to shrink my bowl down considerably, first. I adjusted to about 5mm of bowl-space and packed a single, long shred of mesh that I crumpled up. This is using the stock dome toward heater config.

Sasquatch_Jr

Great to see Milaanas shipping. Hope that means RBT will be able to start assembly on our Zions soon. Looks like his shipping estimates for Zions have been updated too:

When will my unit Zion ship? The Zion pre-orders are predicted to ship to the following schedule with 80% confidence

Ordered May/June 2015 - Shipping in May

Ordered July/August 2015 - Shipping in June

Ordered Sept/Oct 2015 - Shipping in July
Ordered Jan/Feb 2015 - Shipping in July

Unfortunately RBT shipped the Milaanas without any advance notice. I have moved since placing my order and was counting on him to confirm the order. His Existing Customer FAQ even states "Can I change my order or address? Yes, we will email you prior to shipping your unit".

So has the policy changed? Am I expected to email him and actually get a response despite the question I have being clearly (mis)answered in his FAQ?

I can see not making time to write up detailed status reports but it would literally take him 3 seconds to update the procedure for updating an address. That 3 seconds would save him a ton of time and hassle down the line too.

Shit Snacks

Great to see Milaanas shipping. Hope that means RBT will be able to start assembly on our Zions soon. Looks like his shipping estimates for Zions have been updated too:

Unfortunately RBT shipped the Milaanas without any advance notice. I have moved since placing my order and was counting on him to confirm the order. His Existing Customer FAQ even states "Can I change my order or address? Yes, we will email you prior to shipping your unit".

So has the policy changed? Am I expected to email him and actually get a response despite the question I have being clearly (mis)answered in his FAQ?

I can see not making time to write up detailed status reports but it would literally take him 3 seconds to update the procedure for updating an address. That 3 seconds would save him a ton of time and hassle down the line too.

As far as I know that is still the case for Zions, Milaana launch was a special case I think, just to get em out asap. I think he will be getting back to Zion in a few weeks

AJS

Calm Consistency
"Zion Update

The Voltage control knob failure redesign is completed. A stainless steel bearing will be added to ensure smooth motion and reduce stress on the potentiometer connection. Next steps are developing production tooling and parts to implement the change. Delay's are still being experienced with the fabrication of electrical assemblies and wooden bodies. Current estimates predict that Zion shipments will resume in late May / Early June."
Milaana was also updated.

Top Bottom