Zephyr Ion

grokit

well-worn member
Apples and oranges. My only experience with bags was with my herbalizer, and my herbalaire. With herbie, the bags were my favorite way to use it but I had a feeling there was better out there. I should have given the herbalaire more of a chance, but I didn't like the taste with a whip and the stock bags leaked so its gone too. I do like bags for chilling out in front of the tube, and it's the best way to suck vapor in the sauna. I am hoping to try their new whip system if they included it, it looks like it could be fun to use with a bubbler.

Jared

Cannabis Enthusiast
I totally agree with you. I've NEVER had a wispy hit from the LSV. The vapor to air ratio at any given temp is soon much higher than any bag vape can offer up be it the Ion or any other bag vape.

You say you are inhaling 3 to 4 seconds of air with the LSV? How in the hell are you hitting it?

I'm not here to rag on the Ion, but rather to clarify the differences between the LSV and the Ion.

This is the Ion thread and I really don't want to take this off topic but when someone draws a comparison to another vaporizer, I think I need to put my perspective out there on it.

The Ion is a nice vape but vapes that use a bag as a delivery system are not for everyone. They have their pluses, but they also have their minuses and those minuses is what keeps me away from them.
I never said it produced whispy hits, but if you're telling me you can get anything close to the same hit as a Zephyr Ion bag at ~400 from an LSV you're lying or the multiple LSV's I've used including mine which I've had for years now have all been broken. I know the LSV can get incredibly thick, I never said or implied that it can't. But there's no denying that it takes a few seconds and a bit of breath for it to start producing thick vapor. At first it's nothing, then it's whispy, then it's thick. Exactly like I said in my first post. That's simply how convection vaporizers work and I know you know this already.

Here's a video I took and posted a long time ago, and this has consistently been my experience with the LSV since I've used one. No vapor-->Whispy vapor-->Thick vapor. That's a LOT of air that is otherwise filled with vapor when using the Zephyr, seeing as how you get vapor the instant you start breathing till the instant you stop. Especially since you can wait ~4 seconds for it to start blowing nice vapor before putting the bag on the Ion, ensuring there's a very very small air to vapor ratio, meaning you get incredibly thick vapor for your ENTIRE breath, not the last 3/4 or half of it. Not dogging on the LSV at all, I love it, it's my daily driver, but I'm also not making things up.

Last edited:

lwien

Last statement from me on the LSV as this is really the Ion thread.

When I hit my LSV through the transfer wand, there is absolutely no 3 to 4 second delay followed by wispy vapor. There is no delay. It's hits instantaneously. And when I hit it through my SC tube, it begins to fill............instantly.

I guess well just have to say that we have different experiences here.

Jared

Cannabis Enthusiast
Iwien said:
When I hit my LSV through the transfer wand, there is absolutely no 3 to 4 second delay followed by wispy vapor. There is no delay. It's hits instantaneously.
Last thing I'll say. As it's a convection vaporizer, that isn't even possible. Guess we will have to say that we have different experiences here.

Jared,
Reactions: Quickie

lwien

Last thing I'll say. As it's a convection vaporizer, that isn't even possible. Guess we will have to say that we have different experiences here.
you're lying or the multiple LSV's I've used including mine which I've had for years now have all been broken.

So now you're implying that I'm a liar? Listen Jared, I have absolutely no reason to make this shit up. While I admit that we are having different experiences here, I would never call you liar just because you have experienced something different than I have.

I'm out of here..........Further discussion is pointless....

Last edited:

grokit

well-worn member
Yes this sucker will go through some flowers! It's a luxury vape for sure, like the volcano or any dedicated bag blower I would think. But with the new whip system its more versatile than that right out of the box.

I'm happy to report that mine arrived today! The packaging was all brand new, as was everything inside. The box was in great shape, and I'm guessing that the whip is standard equipment but not sure because I made a request for it as I knew of the coupons. There was an "inspected" sticker sealing the box that was popped but intact. First impression is it's more substantial than I expected, in both size and weight.

Operating it couldn't be simpler, and right off the bat I can tell that it extracts very well. The instructions mention a fine grind and that's what I recommend as well after some experimentation. So I believe it's time to invest in a finishing grinder. I can see how people get multiple bags at the lower temps, but I started at 420f, went to 433 and 440, settled back at 433. There was some what I am assuming is new air pump smell/taste at first, I let it run with the cap off at 440 for a while and it diminished for the most part.

I like it. It comes up to temperature quickly, and the lid/valve/attachment system is well-made. The bags that are pre-made are a bit on the noisy side, but the included replacement bags seem different in this respect, they are also missing the graphics so looking forward to trying those as they do seem quieter. The first time I blew up a bag I didn't push down enough when I attached it to make a seal with the o-rings, and there was a bit of leakage. That was the only stumble, it's extremely simple to use.

Fill the bowl, drop it in and shut the lid. Turn on the pump, count to 5 and jam the bag on top. Turn off the pump when the bag is full. Fill is fast, from what I have read it's close to volcano speed. It definitely fills bags much faster than herbie, which reportedly takes three times as long as a volcano at 90 seconds.

The instructions advise that you open the lid to prevent heat buildup in between bags, I would also advise removing the bowl to prevent unwanted conduction if you're going slow with low temps. I foresee going for maximum milkage, so I will be experimenting with fine grinds at high temps. The ion shuts itself off after an hour or so, and since it comes up to temp quickly (inside 5 minutes) it's not that inconvenient.

The whip is a nice option, especially for the lung-challenged to use a bubbler. The adapter easily attaches securely to the ion's nozzle, and the included whip is a dust magnet but is of high quality. The mouthpiece is a bit cheesy but quite effective in channeling/concentrating the vapor. The whip is sized just to fit inside an ssv whip, so that gives it an od of 3/8". It also fits perfectly inside a 10/14 adapter:

Z2Gxs4S.jpg

I put that adapter inside a 14/18 adapter, and the mouthpiece is pictured attached to the inside of a small bit of ssv tubing for easy on/off the smaller stock hose. Beside the whip and the extra balloons, the ion was completely accessorized with an extra bowl/screens/gaskets, aroma pads, alcohol wipes, tie-wraps etc. and to top it all off a very nice instruction booklet. It also comes with a usb mini cable for some windows auto-start software that seems unnecessary to me, but I'll still check it out if it works on vista lol.

I used the adapter setup with my double-matrix (gb-186) bubbler, it was very satisfying. With the whip there is much more versatility, and it's so simple and obvious that I'm surprised it's such a new addition. All in all I'm quite satisfied, and it's a great deal at this price. As long as that pump taste stays away anyways, that's my only concern going forward. It tasted very good out of the bubbler at 333f. I'm not much for videos, but may get a wild hair and whip something up after I get that finishing grinder.

Last edited:

Quickie

I've been filling up the bowl half way, about .4 or .5 a gram, and blowing up a 3 foot bag I made, before bed.. It does a great job of making me fall asleep. Also gets me really damn high.

Quickie,

hoptimum

I've been filling up the bowl half way, about .4 or .5 a gram, and blowing up a 3 foot bag I made, before bed.. It does a great job of making me fall asleep. Also gets me really damn high.

Any chance you can post a pic or video?

hoptimum,

grokit

well-worn member
Hell yeah :rockon:!
Got my finishing grinder coming finally :tup:

I recently noticed that the ion's mouthpiece is sized to exactly accommodate the insertion of ssv tubing (3/8"id x 1/2"od), in case you want to pump some of that big bag of vapor through a bubbler :science:

Vapor Loop

I need a bag blower that's quicker than Eq and couldn't help but notice a reputable seller offering these pretty cheap, What kind of times are people getting off of 10ft and 6ft bag's? I do have to say it's pretty bad on the Eq and even considered getting 2 and pair them for larger bag's:rofl:

Vapor Loop,

Vitolo

Vaporist
The Ion is fast.
Check the video at http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/zephyr-ion.1522/page-46#post-562058
The filling of the 6 foot bag began at [1:00] and it ends at [2:18]
That is one minute 18 seconds
The bulk of the filling is sped up to 4X, minus a couple of moments (like when I change the chamber and start unit)
That means the Zephyr filled a 6 foot bag in under 5 minutes.
Timing it from start to finish while not focusing on video particulars it takes 4 minutes and 10 seconds.
Again... this includes the chamber refill at 1/2 way.. if you do not refill chamber the fillup for the 6 foot bag is 3 minutes 50 seconds.

Vitolo

Vaporist
Vito where is the Herbie video equivalent?

I honestly use my Zeph more than the Volcano and like most features better.
I have Herbie vids that focus on other aspects... but I do not use the herbie bag often, and see no benefit to making a larger Herbie bag, when Herbie's chamber is the size it is.

IAmKrazy2

Darth Vapor
Thats a good point, considering the huge difference in bowl size the zeph is much more equipped for the task. Herbie might be interesting to try with maybe keif or concentrates with a slow temp increase to try and get more per load.

Enjoy sometimes seeing the standard rotation of vapes from other people who own a ton of the same ones i do. Just got my Herbie yesterday but the Zeph really still has a separate place in the rotation. Cheers.

Vapor Loop

The Ion is fast.
Check the video at http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/zephyr-ion.1522/page-46#post-562058
The filling of the 6 foot bag began at [1:00] and it ends at [2:18]
That is one minute 18 seconds
The bulk of the filling is sped up to 4X, minus a couple of moments (like when I change the chamber and start unit)
That means the Zephyr filled a 6 foot bag in under 5 minutes.
Timing it from start to finish while not focusing on video particulars it takes 4 minutes and 10 seconds.
Again... this includes the chamber refill at 1/2 way.. if you do not refill chamber the fillup for the 6 foot bag is 3 minutes 50 seconds.

Look's like the search for a quicker lower price range bag blower has ended, Those number's are more than double the speed of my Eq even with the elbow screen removed. I do like the Eq and all but it's really just used for large bag's in my case. I have much more efficient option's for direct draw, and that's even counting the elbow pack option

Now the computer option is a wired only on this no Bluetooth correct? Also what all can you do with the app for this unit?

Vapor Loop,

grokit

well-worn member
That reminds me, I sent a request for the app and didn't hear back :hmm:

edit:
Just sent another one with a follow-up email.

Last edited:
grokit,

Vapor Loop

Well that don't sound so good for the app, Was it the manufacturer you contacted for the app?

Vapor Loop,
Top Bottom