Zephyr Ion vs SSV

Which is a better whip vape: the Zephyr Ion, or the Silver Surfer?

• Silver Surfer

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Zephyr Ion

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters

Astromaddie

Nic Cage's #1 Fan
I know, I know, big difference: one's a bag vape, one's a whip. But since the Zephyr can be a whip vape too, and I'm looking at two good deals right now to get a SSV for $100 or a Zephyr Ion for $150... This is a discussion I wanted to have!

I've read a lot about both vapes, but I haven't seen any direct comparisons between the two. I'd probably use the Zephyr more as a whip vape than a bag vape, so from a purely whip perspective, which performs better? Taste, control for medical effects, etc...

The Zephyr's versatility between bag and whip mode really appeals to me, but the SSV as a dedicated whip vape leads me to believe it might edge out the Zephyr in whip mode. But at the same time, I love the digital temperature control on the Zephyr vs the ambiguous dial on the SSV.

So yeah. Anyone have experience with both that can give me a rundown? Thanks!

Astromaddie,

u bwade wunner

I believe the zephyr is very restrictive using a whip without the fan on.

Where have You seen it for $150 may I ask?

I have had my surfer since Xmas.i haven't used anything else apart from the mflb for mobile use.
Excellent clean vapor quality and cool hits every time using the SSV 18mm ground glass setup as my go to.

Welcome to FC and oh.... did I ever tell ya that this here jacket represents a symbol of my individuality, and my belief in personal freedom?:D

Last edited:
u bwade wunner,

Astromaddie

Nic Cage's #1 Fan
Hmm, really, restrictive as in hard to pull through? The SSV does look like a really nice device, and as an mflb owner too, I was thinking it would complement it nicely. The $150 Ion is used from a private seller, but it looks to be in great condition, so I was strongly considering it!

Thanks for the welcome! I've actually been lurking for a while and recently finally registered :) And oh snap, that's some deep cuts of Nic Cage! I'm a vampire, I'm a vampire! :D

Last edited:
Astromaddie,

u bwade wunner

Yes restrictive because the pump is inline and when off would restrict the airflow a lot.

If You want a bag vape go zephyr.I almost bought one in the vapeusa sale but my vape funds are limited and I just would not get enough value from a bag vape.

if You want a whip vape and have good manual dexterity no doubt go SSV.

It delivers a punch like smoking.i recommend the ground glass SSV setup.

I never move mine.its mostly on .I walk to it and after a few puffs,20 seconds or so, I m good.

On a side note if You do go SSV,Pick up some soy wax melts and an aroma top for it if You like your place smelling good...there are lots of soy wax melts on eBay or seventh floor sell them direct.i like vanilla and cinnamin and my vape area never smells like a herby vape area anymore.
The SSV is the best aroma making vape I have tried.

It's also a really great vape.

Classic.I Found vampires kiss shortly after wild at heart.i wish he still made movies in that style.

Ohhh God where am I?:)

Last edited:
u bwade wunner,

shredder

My favorite thing about the ssv is its simplicity. It's kind of like my enano on steroids. It's a basic heater and wand set up. You can get it dialed in within minutes. I also recommend the ground glass heater cover. It's hands free and will accept the ddave mod kit.

Being bigger and having some more power it naturally hits harder than an enano, but you can use less herb and lower power for a more like enano experience, or crank it up and match it with water for lung busting clouds of fun. Like I said it's not complicated, but it does work exceptionally well, and I use it the most over the vapes in my signature.

max

Out to lunch
the SSV as a dedicated whip vape leads me to believe it might edge out the Zephyr in whip mode
As far as big hitters go, there is nothing better than the SSV in my opinion. With the standard heater cover, which provides a narrow air path into the bowl, you get very high density vapor hits. The Zephyr and any other dual mode vape will suffer in comparison since they're a compromise, design wise. Bags are nice for passing around in a group, since there's zero learning curve, but most people who enjoy the vaporizing experience get bored with bag fill. My recommendation is to be sure you really want the bag feature if you go for the Ion. OTOH the prices you quote are very good, so even if you're not satisfied with your choice, long tern, you can probably resell and come out OK.

Astromaddie

Nic Cage's #1 Fan
Thanks for the advice, everyone!! I ended up going for the SSV, picked it up today :D it looks to be in really nice shape, came with a bunch of extra screens, the aroma cup, the regular glass whip, and an extra whip...which is good, because the first whip, and both glass pieces, are absolutely filthy with vape condensation :\ I'll have to buy some iso and iodized salt to clean them up.

I was intrigued by the idea of a bag vape but I really think I'd use the whip a lot more, so I didn't want to go for the compromise. Plus it sounds like the Ion is harder to draw from in whip mode with the fan off, and having the fan blow vapor into my mouth just sounded weird.

Top Bottom