Your suggestion on the best cooling setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

mysticlaker

Long time lurker. FC and the great users have guided me to my to Extreme Q. I am grateful. I am a medical user and vaporizing is very helpful for my life medical effecting condition.

Now I want the best small-efficient cooling setup to attach to my extreme-q I can buy over the internet. I love vaporizing, but the dryness gets to my throat. I've been using the whip into a standard glass bong and slide and it has been okay - there is air leakage of course.

I should have picked up the soulshineglass setup on Etsy but it is gone. It was a small glass bong plus the adapters. Any help in something similar available would be great! I want something small - I have to be a discrete user because of children at home. I'd like to spend like $100-$150.

I live in the Boston area, and the shops suck. I went to a head-shop in Boston that was selling an extreme q for 549, and Volcano for 750. The glass was ridiculously priced. I ran.

MysticLaker

mysticlaker,

lwien

mysticlaker said:
L

Now I want the best small-efficient cooling setup to attach to my extreme-q I can buy over the internet. I love vaporizing, but the dryness gets to my throat.

If dryness is the issue, consider using warm to hot water in a bong to add moisture rather than trying to cool the vapor with cold water or ice.

lwien,

Nycdeisel

I agree with lwien, hot water in the vaporbong is the best!

As for a small GonG you can buy online, I got my SSFG travel tube from Etsy for just $60 shipped with a showerhead downstem. Its a nice simple little setup along with my DBV.

Nycdeisel,

mysticlaker

thanks for your advice. i've started with hot water in my bong. I've also ordered a nice new glass piece with the proper connectors today.

One thing I have a question on is if all vaporizers produce the same level of "dry" vapor. I guess because there are different air/vapor ratios some vaporizers probably have more dry air / vapor then others.

I'd be willing to consider another vaporizer if makes sense to limit throat irritation...

mysticlaker,

lwien

Some people are just more sensitive to this than others. Also try drinking some water, tea or other liquid right before and after you take a hit.

lwien,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
lwien said:
mysticlaker said:
L

Now I want the best small-efficient cooling setup to attach to my extreme-q I can buy over the internet. I love vaporizing, but the dryness gets to my throat.

If dryness is the issue, consider using warm to hot water in a bong to add moisture rather than trying to cool the vapor with cold water or ice.

If you actually think about it... The warm water is still cooling the vapor. It is no where near the temp of the vapor going though it. The only added advantage over cold water is it adds moisture to the mix.

DevoTheStrange,

Beezleb

Is it heat that is the issue or is it sensitivity to the THC? I see people coughing and assume its heat related but that is not always the case. Since you have used cooling before with it and had success its probably heat related but just wanted to mention to make sure its considered.

If it is not due to heat try using a little less of the material during a session and perhaps have two mini sessions compared to one session.

Another thing to try will be to to slowly dial up the temp. Start lower and work your way up, I like to start at 328 but 356 is a good starting point and go to 385 and higher if desired. By slowly siphoning off the actives it takes the large impact off of a big draw but you still are getting everything you want. At least as far as my understanding is.

I do not have an extreme though so I cant offer any advice or perspective for/from that vaporizer but it is a mainstream vaporizer and widely considered a quality vape. I would not recommend another vaporizer with the mindset that another vaporizer will be less of an irritant in terms of creating smooth vapor. Adjusting the temperature and material until you find your balance I think would be more effective than searching for another solution that I do not believe would give you significantly different results.

Beezleb,

mysticlaker

Thanks for the advice. I don't think it is THC that is irritating the throat. I'm a long time user and never had this issue with combusting and my throat, just the usual post smoke dry mouth. My reason for switching to vaping is that ) I've a medical condition know where mj helps with pain so I am using it more b) I've always had asthma and really don't want to smoke any more. I love vaping, I'm just annoyed at the way my throat is feeling after vaping where it bothers me the rest of the day after a session.

I didn't think that two mainstream home vapes would differ that greatly in vape dryness but thought it would be worth asking.

I'll try some more tweaking with the temps as well. Thanks everyone...All the advice is really appreciated.

mysticlaker,

2Supra4U

Hello,

dont think I saw anyone mention it ....

but you also have to watch your stash.....if it is not dry enough to begin with, you may be irritated because there is steam being produced while your vaporizing...that WILL irritate and could possibly scold you if you are not careful.

so, if your someone who uses "fresh" herb or herb that is not dried and cured properly....that could be your problem

:2c:

2Supra4U,

lwien

2Supra4U said:
but you also have to watch your stash.....if it is not dry enough to begin with, you may be irritated because there is steam being produced while your vaporizing...that WILL irritate and could possibly scold you if you are not careful.

Scold you? That's a bit of a stretch, eh?

lwien,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
lwien said:
2Supra4U said:

Nothing slips by this one.... :lol:

momofthegoons,

2Supra4U

lwien said:

momofthegoons said:
Nothing slips by this one....

lol, hence why I said possibly.

Tell that to a guy I know who ended up with a blister on the roof of his mouth lol
I guess he tried to vape some stuff that was real fresh that he had recently grown, a little to eager and impatient maybe lol.

I've never had that issue, as I always dry it out if I grab anything that has any significant mositure in it still (rare for me, but it happens sometimes). I usually get nicely dried and cured bud. Although I do remember one time I came close when I first started using my iolite last year and used some "fresh/wet" bud. The first draw got me right on the tip of the tongue enough that I pulled it out of my mouth for a second. Its normal in that thing to get hot on the tounge if you do a long draw, but this was the first draw in the first split second of it. I didn't get "scolded" but I for sure felt it.

if the bud is moist enough and the bowl load is large enough it is possible

for all we know the guy is using freshly picked buds

either way, its still possible hes being irritated due to moisture content in the bud....thats all i was saying

I never said it WILL scold you

I <3 you lwien :lol: :ko:

2Supra4U,

Nycdeisel

haha

The moisture is what you want to make the vapor less dry and irritating.

What tube did you end up getting, mysticlaker?

Nycdeisel,

mysticlaker

I got just a simple 12inch perc and diffuser.

http://www.chunkyglasspipes.com/glass-on-glass-beaker-water-pipe-with-tree-percolator.html

Nothing on etsy that was simple and glass was available without weeks wait. I'll probably order something from Soulshine or glasstafarian after the holidays.

I ordered an adapter and some new tubing and it all should be coming in the next day or two.

I think the hot water is helping even in my less than perfect setup. The throat seems mush less irritated than two days ago. I think I just probably have some extra vapor sensitivity. Even my tongue always feels really funny for a while after vaping. Just different things that I don't recall happening with smoking.

mysticlaker,

mysticlaker

I don't know tsat...I'll let you know when I get the piece. It's shipping from West Coast to East Coast so it probably won't be till Monday. From what I can tell they manufacture the pieces themselves in Washington.

I read some reviews on the glass and most folks were happy. I would have really really preferred to buy local, but in Boston options suck for reasonably priced / quality glass. Anything equivalent in a head shop here would have 200-300 bucks.

mysticlaker,

Tstat

Dead Foot Designs
Accessory Maker
I hear ya, I'm about 60 miles south of you. I shopped around for the past 2 days and everything that was decent costs at least $200. I went to 4 or 5 places! I may wait to hear how your experience went, and if you like the glass. Will you let us know next week? Thanks and good luck with it. It looks great. I am now torn between that one and the SYN:

http://www.chicokush.com/products/SYN-38mm-Mini-Straight-Dome-Perc.html

Tstat,

crawdad

floatin
wow, thanks for posting that link...indeed the cheapest prices ive seen (looked around that site) and if its a decent pipe its something i could consider.

crawdad,

Nycdeisel

you guys need to check out glassdistortion on Etsy they have some nice mini inlines and such for around 100 bucks, at least they did the last time I checked.

And if you want a inline bubbler or soemthing, look at cascadiaglassworks as well they have well priced glass IMO.

Etsy has so much, i have gone through pages and pages after just searching for glass pipe and have found everything from little chillums, all the way to insanely sick heady work going for hundreds...

PS: I also thought this was a pretty good deal http://www.chicokush.com/products/MGW-7mm-15"-Straight.html

PPS: I have heard mixed things about chunky glass, for a while they were extremely unreliable, taking peoples money and not sending anything. Not to mention, EVERYTHING I saw on that site is china glass, OR they just make really good chinese imitation pieces :p :rolleyes:

Nycdeisel,

Tstat

Dead Foot Designs
Accessory Maker
Well, they told me the glass was "made locally". That was the other question I asked them. That glass beaker is not available anyway. They said it's sold out. It looks like it's going to be that SYN!

Tstat,

Nycdeisel

They can say what they want, but I believe that its all made in China. Support American artists.
I think that Syn is a good deal, I say go for it. You wont be disappointed.

Nycdeisel,

mysticlaker

I got the piece. It looks well made. It has no country of origin on it, so I can't say if it is "local" or not. Anyway, the 69 dollars seems like a very fair price and no issues with shipping or anything. If it is local made, even better.

I am still waiting for my whip adapter from another company. As soon as I get it (hopefully tomorrow) I'll have pics with my q and let everyone check out for themselves.

http://www.chunkyglasspipes.com/glass-on-glass-beaker-water-pipe-with-tree-percolator.html

mysticlaker,

OO

Technical Skeptical
Larry, you had the answer all along!

OO,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom