Your opinion on long draws?

Truth Seeker

I watch both Troy and sneaky Pete’s videos on various vaporizers and their reviews.

I noticed that Troy takes extremely long draws sometimes up to half a minute long. I’ve wondered how healthy is this practice?

If I do too long of a draw it feels a bit unnatural and uncomfortable though I know this gets us to our medication destination sooner.

What do you think of long draws versus short draws? and are long draws healthy?

Also, what’s your opinion on holding in the vapor as opposed to taking a long draw and blowing it out?

I know that with combustion the science we currently have is to not hold it in due to the tar content of smoke but is this applicable to vaping?

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
I'm wondering if other people feel they get stronger effects sipping on a bowl for a long time or crushing it as fast as possible.

Also, what’s your opinion on holding in the vapor as opposed to taking a long draw and blowing it out?

"Interestingly, it was shown that a large proportion of inhaled THC was not absorbed by the lungs. The total amount of THC used for evaporation was 20 mg of THC for each subject (Rising dose of 2, 4, 6, and 8mg resulting in a total dose of 20 mg). Taking into account the average delivery yield of 53.9% as found in this study, only an average of 10.8 mg of THC was totally inhaled from the balloon. The amount of THC recovered from exhaled breath ranged from 2.5 to 4.4 mg, which means that up to 30% -40% of inhaled THC was not absorbed by the lungs. The variability of THC in exhaled breath (relative SD 5.4%) is comparable to the variability in delivery of THC by the Volcano."

https://www.vapormed.com/media/vap/dl/sb/sb-stud-2005-10.pdf

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure
For me long draws are more pleasant when combined with vapes that have appropriately open draw resistance. I'd never be all that comfortable taking a long draw on a Solo II where I'm not getting sufficient airflow. I mostly use a Splinter Z with an XL8R cooling stem where the combination of good airflow and on demand convection is the best way to yank all the vapor out of a given amount of material without the dozen hits it'd take with any session vape.

I take long hits from session vapes too, I just don't enjoy it as much because the vapor quality is inferior and it takes at least twice as many long draws for comparable extraction.

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
I think it also matters which vapes you use. Some vapes work better with a long draw: the chamber holding cannabis cools quickly on a quick draw. So a long, slow draw keeps the chamber (and cannabis) up to temp, producing more vapor. I like taking long, slow draws off the Solo II. Hits off the VapeXhale EVO remind me of hits off a bong: quick huffs of vapor.

I try to maximize hits by exhaling a bit and re-inhale to re-position the vapor against the lung walls where THC is absorbed. Of course, that only works for me awhile, as I forget....

Last edited:

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
Also there are "mouth hits", where you use your mouth as a bellows, opening your mouth and moving your tongue back to create draw, then inhale, then bellow up another mouthful, and inhale, etc, until you have a lungfull. I'm using that technique on my Woodscents Log as I type.

Then there are "lung hits", where you inhale directly into the lungs. You can do that too, on a log, or Mighty, or Fury, etc. They are just different ways to hit it.

Vaporware

I'm wondering if other people feel they get stronger effects sipping on a bowl for a long time or crushing it as fast as possible.

That depends on what you mean by stronger effects. I can feel like I’ve had too much sometimes after one or two long slow hits from the FlowerPot, but I can take many long slow hits off of the Ascent (or shorter ones from the FP) and get stronger effects in a different way.

The effects from the huge dose all at once can be powerful and in some way clearly beyond what the same dose can deliver split up, but also more anxiety-inducing and unpleasant if I go over a certain line. The effects from many smaller draws tend to be more psychedelic and potentially even drunken feeling if I take it too far...but at that point I think similar anxiety to the huge hit effect can also come into play.

I still generally take large draws, but I try to keep them under a certain threshold, and I should really consider backing off on draw lengths and increasing their numbers more often...

I’d need to experiment more to give much better info, but I guess if I want something I feel immediately a large single dose provides it better, but if I want a more pleasant overall experience several smaller doses probably work better.

DDave

Vape Wizard
Accessory Maker
I watch both Troy and sneaky Pete’s videos on various vaporizers and their reviews.

I noticed that Troy takes extremely long draws sometimes up to half a minute long. I’ve wondered how healthy is this practice?

If I do too long of a draw it feels a bit unnatural and uncomfortable though I know this gets us to our medication destination sooner.

I know that with combustion the science we currently have is to not hold it in due to the tar content of smoke but is this applicable to vaping?
Just chiming in that regardless of your draw duration, end the draw early and continue inhaling fresh air.
Reason: THC absorbs in the lungs, very little if any absorbs in the mouth, throat, trachia. So filling these with vapor is a waste.

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017

The longer the draw, the more of the chemicals/drugs we like are making it into our bloodstream. Of course, you want to fill up your lungs and leave enough room to clear your "dead zones" (mouth and throat), so some of the drugs resting there don't just get wasted...but, other than that, you can draw more in and get it all sooner, or you can draw less in and stretch it out. The more of the chemical/drug that makes it to your bloodstream faster is going to have a stronger effect of course.

Truth Seeker

The longer the draw, the more of the chemicals/drugs we like are making it into our bloodstream. Of course, you want to fill up your lungs and leave enough room to clear your "dead zones" (mouth and throat), so some of the drugs resting there don't just get wasted...but, other than that, you can draw more in and get it all sooner, or you can draw less in and stretch it out. The more of the chemical/drug that makes it to your bloodstream faster is going to have a stronger effect of course.
I’m wondering if there’s any negative health consequences to taking these long draws daily?

All the deep inhalations that are necessary with vaping are quite different than taking a mouth hit vie combustion.

Possibly it’s a good exercise?
Cardio, yoga, weightlifting etc all require deep breathing?

Last edited:

Squiby

All the deep inhalations that are necessary with vaping are quite different than taking a mouth hit vie combustion.
They aren't necessary. I never ever take long deep draws. I have sensitive lungs and am asthmatic and a long lung draw would put me on the floor coughing them out.

I take short mouth pulls, then inhale along with the vapor. Easy peasy, gentle does it as you go. I'm not 20 any longer when we'd knife hash and draw as much as possible then hack and cough. Coughing is no longer cool.

Mouth pulls create a smooth cool vapor. Couple that with a filter and you now eliminate any tiny particulates from entering your lungs and creating irritation. The ease of this approach using a Vapcap is why I love my Vapcaps so much.

TheThriftDrifter

Land of the long vapor cloud
@Squiby Do you take one mouth pull, inhale then exhale, or do you take multiple mouth pull inhales in a row and then exhale?

Hope that makes sense.

TheThriftDrifter,

Squiby

@Squiby Do you take one mouth pull, inhale then exhale, or do you take multiple mouth pull inhales in a row and then exhale?
Either or, one of the other... I actually tend to start off with a mouthpull, inhale and exhale. But then as the bowl progresses I will take two or three mouthpulls, inhaling a bit each time before exhaling.

It depends on the smoothness of the vapor. Harsh bud gets small individual mouthpulls, inhale and exhale all the way through.

Zander

Long slow draws to keep the temperature where I want it and get tons of vapor until my throat gets irritated and I back off to short ones.
haha you said it! I’ve got a utillian 721 and that particular vaporizer actually encourages you to take slow, long puffs. once it’s heated up, as you start to puff, the light at the top of the vaporizer starts blinking until the puff is done according to the vaporizer I’m assuming, as it can sometimes be quite a while until it stops blinking. sometimes it is just too hard to go all the way to the end of the puff though so I just exhale before the light stops to blink and I noticed that vapor always escapes the mouthpiece which I’m assuming means a certain bit is wasted.

baxter

I take a long draw with a small water bong and dont "hold it in" at the end. Instead I immediately exhale by using re-breathing:

Exhale 20% of vapor
Inhale oxygen
Exhale 30% of vapor
Inhale oxygen
Exhale 30% of vapor
Inhale oxygen
Exhale vapor and resume normal breathing pattern.

This method has been working better for me compared to the old "hold your hit for 3 seconds and then exhale" method.

Give "re-breathing" a chance.

Siebter

Less soul, more mind

Someone enlighten me please – why could long draws be considered unhealthy?

I like all kind of draw speeds and lengths. My Omni XL can do both very nicely, but I actually love it so much because it lets me do mouth-to-lung puffs (as described by @macbill earlier) so well. Dunno, gives me a cozy feeling and makes the flavor shine a bit more. My Tinymight is more of a cloud-chasing direct lung device, although it allows to take short draws. The only thing I don't quite get along with are *very* long draws where nothing really happens in the first half of the draw (MV1 comes to mind, although I do think it's a great device for flavor and efficiency).

TheThriftDrifter

Land of the long vapor cloud
I take a long draw with a small water bong and dont "hold it in" at the end. Instead I immediately exhale by using re-breathing:

Exhale 20% of vapor
Inhale oxygen
Exhale 30% of vapor
Inhale oxygen
Exhale 30% of vapor
Inhale oxygen
Exhale vapor and resume normal breathing pattern.

This method has been working better for me compared to the old "hold your hit for 3 seconds and then exhale" method.

Give "re-breathing" a chance.

Hmmm.... re breathing sounds interesting, I'm going to try. Although I can see myself forgetting to do it once I've got a bowl or two in me. :D

Maybe holding hot vapor in one's lungs could be unhealthy? But that's just speculation on my behalf.

TheThriftDrifter,
Reactions: baxter

shredder

Some vapes almost require long pulls. My firewood 6 is like that. It has a small diameter stem that restricts the draw. You control the temps with breath speed. (It does have temperature control, so it's both you and the vape)

When you get it right it's really a treat. It's like driving a manual shift car though. Not as simple as say an edge, or a mighty but better taste with experience.

If I hit my edge like that, I'd better have the temp set real low, or I'd cough a lung out.

chlorophyll_man

AVB Inspector
My theory is that long draws dry out gums, throat more because they don't allow for re-moistening of those areas by swallowing (which you are likely to do in-between short draws).
For the second half of a long draw the hot air is hitting dried out sensitive throat cells, which I think would be more damaging to them then if they were covered in saliva (which they would be in a short draw session).
Perhaps using a wet bong/rig helps? Not sure. FWIW I use mine dry without water 90% of the time and I take long draws often.
Completely my own personal theory of which I have many.:)

Last edited:

Brewervapesalot

I like short draws. I think we look like idiots taking long draws (and appreciate videos that edit out long draws). Not that I dont do it, I just prefer short puffs, only a minority of devices can do that...

Brewervapesalot,
Reactions: Zander

GoldenBud

Your lungs are gonna have some amount of reclaim from the vaping anyway, but it is still like 95% more healthier than smoking.

the biggest problem with smoking is the releasing of Carbon Monoxide (CO) because there is also an incomplete combustion, in addition to the complete combustion (which releases the CO2).

Our body likes the CO more than O2 (Oxygen molecule) so he actually send this poison all over our body...

CO2 is getting released also (complete combustion) less harmful by alot. For example, Sticky Brick/VG/Piro users inhale CO2 all their hits, it is almost harmless in a comparison to CO.

Vaping means that there isn't a chemical reaction, no CO/CO2 as products. Vaping is also tar-free.

I don't think long draws will affect your lungs, maybe it has some effect on the throat.

Last edited:

Truth Seeker

Your lungs are gonna have some amount of reclaim from the vaping anyway, but it is still like 95% more healthier than smoking.

the biggest problem with smoking is the releasing of Carbon Monoxide (CO) because there is also an incomplete combustion, in addition to the complete combustion (which releases the CO2).

Our body likes the CO more than O2 (Oxygen molecule) so he actually send this poison all over our body...

CO2 is getting released also (complete combustion) less harmful by alot. For example, Sticky Brick/VG/Piro users inhale CO2 all their hits, it is almost harmless in a comparison to CO.

Vaping means that there isn't a chemical reaction, no CO/CO2 as products. Vaping is also tar-free.

I don't think long draws will affect your lungs, maybe it has some effect on the throat.

The lack of CO and CO2 and tar are major benefits yet I'm concerned about what long term irritation to the throat can do. There is large airway irritation with vaping yet that can be chalked up to the throat issue.

I've wondered if recovery from exposure to CO,CO2 and tar via combustion is actually safer than long term irritation from vaping? (micro dose not chronic use combustion)
There's many answers we still need on vaping that won't be answered for years but I'm sure there will be tons of data on cannabis usage with more states going legal (probably more bad news on it from a health perspective the way this ship is sailing so far). Who knows if flower vaping will catch on? It still seems like a relatively small number of overall users vape flower......it's not quite the trendy or sexy thing with all the new technology so I wouldn't be surprised if data on dry herb vaping is going to be minimal. Many people are developing CHS at rates that make me scratch my head and rethink a lot of things.

Truth Seeker,

baxter

The lack of CO and CO2 and tar are major benefits yet I'm concerned about what long term irritation to the throat can do. There is large airway irritation with vaping yet that can be chalked up to the throat issue.

I've wondered if recovery from exposure to CO,CO2 and tar via combustion is actually safer than long term irritation from vaping? (micro dose not chronic use combustion)
There's many answers we still need on vaping that won't be answered for years but I'm sure there will be tons of data on cannabis usage with more states going legal (probably more bad news on it from a health perspective the way this ship is sailing so far). Who knows if flower vaping will catch on? It still seems like a relatively small number of overall users vape flower......it's not quite the trendy or sexy thing with all the new technology so I wouldn't be surprised if data on dry herb vaping is going to be minimal. Many people are developing CHS at rates that make me scratch my head and rethink a lot of things.

What if somebody only vapes thru a water bong? Will that prevent CHS? I mean flower only

baxter,

Truth Seeker

What if somebody only vapes thru a water bong? Will that prevent CHS? I mean flower only
Anything regarding CHS seems to come down to usage as it looks like it's mainly heavy users. It seems like micro dosing would be a good idea if concerns about CHS are an issue.

Vaping might be worse than combustion for developing CHS due to the fact you get more THC when vaping and its the THC overload that seems to be at the root of CHS. It's a crazy phenomenon but it's legit and is affecting many people across races, sex, social backgrounds and even age. The only cure for it is complete abstinence from Weed and some of the real sick people can't consume any cannibinoids without getting triggered *Coffee, flax seeds, chocolate etc. can trigger a CHS episode in sensitive individuals.

I think it's the way the weed is bred these days to be high THC as even some people who grew their own organic starting getting sick with CHS by consuming too much. Probably the overabundance of weed has a lot to do with this cause the body is never given a chance to detox out or minimize the amount of THC/Canna intake and their receptors are getting overloaded.

Truth Seeker,
Top Bottom