Yocan Evolve Wax Pen

Justpassedu

I should have the new Evolve Plus arriving today or tomorrow , I been using the Nyx now for a bit and really like it. I will let you all know what I think when I get a chance to test it out .

Justpassedu,

Spocks_Katra

@Yocantech is the silicone wax container on the Evolve plus "platinum cured"?
I am worried about whether or not they used glue to attach the silicone. I imagine it gets at least warm in there from the battery and I dont want glue melting or the smell of glue to get into my wax

Spocks_Katra,

smutman

SmutmanMDCXX
I am worried about whether or not they used glue to attach the silicone. I imagine it gets at least warm in there from the battery and I dont want glue melting or the smell of glue to get into my wax

I just held the button down til it auto shut off 10 times in a row. The mouthpiece was to hot to touch. The top of the dab container still felt cool and no smell. I'm not worried about that at all now

Edit: also we don't officially know if it's glue. I'm betting it is but I would like for Yocan to let us know what they used.

Yoosh

Can you tell if the silicone in the wax container is glued on ? That's one thing I worry about don't want glue in my wax

I'm not sure but i can roll the sides down a bit like smutman mentioned. I've only used stable waxes in the container so far but they've held up. The top of the battery does get hot after continuous use but the bottom hasnt gotten warm yet.

Last edited:

vaplen

@smutman dont dry fire your coils supposedly it changes the molecular structure of the coil because itt gets so hot and wll eventually off gas. Theres a guy that posted a video for the evolve plus I think it was and he explained that. I read it somewhere else as well

vaplen,

jasonp61

@smutman dont dry fire your coils supposedly it changes the molecular structure of the coil because itt gets so hot and wll eventually off gas. Theres a guy that posted a video for the evolve plus I think it was and he explained that. I read it somewhere else as well

Ive read so much about this over the past week and i find so much conflicting stuff.
On one hand nichrome does create a chromium oxide barrier when heated and chromium oxide is toxic but, but apparently its inert and really only releases gasses at a temperature the yocan evolve shouldnt be reaching, and the oxidized layer protects the coil from further oxidization. I think any real warnings about dry firing are from glowing hot coils burning for an extended period of time, i think if you do a quick dry burn here or there to burn off debris or to check real quick if a new coil is working youre fine, but dont sit there with the button held down to the 10 second timer on a dry coil.

If anyone knows anything different feel free to correct me im really interested in using this device as safely as possible. Ni80 (the wire the coils are made of) is extremely popular in ecigs and has been for years and those guys tend to dry fire their coils a lot more and for a lot longer than people with wax pens do so i think a lot of the warnings have carried over from that community where they are still split on dry burning coils as far as i can tell.

The big question i think is what temperature does chromium oxide vaporize? if its a stupid high temp then we are more than likely fine but if it vapes/gasses at like 800-1200 F we could be in trouble.

tldr - dry burning isnt great from what i can gather but as long as you dont do it habitually and continually and to the point of a glowing hot dry red coil for extended periods of time then you should be fine. A lot of the harmful stuff in these metals tends to only be released at temperatures an evolve should never be reaching, someone posted earlier the evolve was hitting 500ish Fahrenheit and spiking at a max of 1000F, the nichrome needs to be heated to like over 1200C (citation needed) to release gasses that i believe would be harmful to us.

PLEASE if anyone knows any more than me feel free to school me, im on disability and in poor health so using a device thats unsafe for me at the moment is counterproductive.

Between this and the "Healthier" superglue comment on the previous page, i think i might just go smoke a joint lol, less stress.

Last edited:

smutman

SmutmanMDCXX

I will considered that coil sacrificed for the test to see if the top of the wax container would get hot. If you can find a link for that video, that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the heads up.

smutman,
Reactions: vaplen

jasonp61

the video in question is here

but like i said the warning hes giving is no revelation, the wire (NI80) its 80%nickel and 20%chromium we are using in the yocan evolve has been used in ecigs for like 10 years and there has been an ongoing debate on the safety of dry firing and those guys like i said tend to dry fire them a lot when building coils to check for hot spots. Just keep your coils saturated as possible and dont dry burn them excessively and you should be fine, but thats just my opinion and im certainly no expert on this by far.

If you wanna be concerned be concerned about yocantechs statement on the previous page in regards to "healthier" glue being used in new evolves VS old evolves.....thats the one thats got me worried.

I get so stressed out over this shit, from coil safety to glue vapor, i mean im a medical cannabis patient here in canada who wants oils/waxs because i have a high tolerance and it takes forever to medicate with flowers these days but all this stress about the safety involved has me wanting to just go fire up the bong and extreme Q. I dont need my medicine stressing me out lol kinda counterproductive.

Last edited:

Yocantech

Manufacturer
@zor @jasonp61 I believe they mean that it a stronger glue that will not come apart as easily. I don't think they meant its healthier to inhale glue fumes. The glue shouldn't be in the air path at all from my understanding
Hi Sir,thanks for your inquiry.Please do not worry,our products have sent to United States materials testing company for testing now, When the results came out I'll put here.

I said Evolve battery use a new Healthier superglue,the glue for fixing tube battery, far away from coils

Our new coils without glue, Air inlets placed on the sides of the ceramic cup,please check the PK image:

Yocan%2BNew%2BCoils.jpg

jasonp61

So the old coils have glue in them? Im sorry im having trouble understanding you, from what you just posted it sounds like the old coils use glue in or around the wires? thats far too close for glue to be to a heat source is it not?

when you say "our new coils without glue" or "...with glue to fix wires.." that scares the shit out me....

I thought the coils were friction fit, i didnt think glue should be used anywhere near a coil or its wires....

After sinking 80 dollars into my yocan ultron, 40 for my evolve and 65 for 10 replacement coils i feel like ive supported your company enough to get a straight answer.

Where is glue used in the original yocan evolve? Is it used anywhere near or around the coil/atomizer? if so is this safe? You say your products are being sent for testing and the results will be posted when they are in, whats being tested and for what? Shouldnt testing have been done on the original evolves prior to shipping them? Also i thought there was extensive testing done on them as you posted earlier in the thread?

Last edited:

Vitolo

Vaporist
I like the Evolve Plus.
No....
I actually LOVE it.
It is the easiest to use of all.
I love the flat bottom.
It stands so readily.
I love the huge chamber, I can "dunk" a ball of wax into that like a miniature basketball into a hoop.
the power is superb.
I can completely inhale a small pea sized "dab" in one inhalation, and not need more for a good while.
Here is a "webcam" video to show the
pluses of the Plus
I forgot to mention the wax container at the base. Very nice touch!

Last edited:

Justpassedu

I like the Evolve Plus.
No....
I actually LOVE it.
It is the easiest to use of all.
I love the flat bottom.
It stands so readily.
I love the huge chamber, I can "dunk" a ball of wax into that like a miniature basketball into a hoop.
the power is superb.
I can completely inhale a small pea sized "dab" in one inhalation, and not need more for a good while.
Here is a "webcam" video to show the
pluses of the Plus
I have to say the same , I just got my Evolve Plus , it happens to be really nice. It has a huge chamber and a lid for it so nothing spills . The clouds you can get from this are huge and it medicated very quickly . The bottom chamber to hold some extra wax is awesome for on the go , just load it up and go and you have a nice supply to take with you while being discreet about it. It is small in size also , only thing I did not like was the threading was a bit tight so I just put a drop of grease in the threading and all is well now. Very tasty rips , it has a nice smooth texture to it also and I honestly did not expect it to be so small in size wich is a huge plus for me. It's like the grasshopper of the concentrate world . Looking forward to using it more and seeing how much battery life it supplies . If your on the fence , try it , the price is right and it is guaranteed to make you happy .

zikzak

^ Same experience here as the two posters above. I received my two pluses on Wednesday and the past two nights, I've yet to turn my D-Nail setup on or use any other wax consumption method.

tPg3ZdK.jpg

I had the same thought about the threads, just a bit rough on both of the pluses I received...a little bit of graphite powder and dot of anti-seize. Perfect now.

It's honestly like the plus really is the culmination of things learned from the OG Evolve and with also some stuff from the NYX filtering in, san's a carb option. Which would be an AWESOME accessory option considering the screw on nature of the pluses top mouth piece, a Carb enabled/button mouthpiece seems like it wouldn't take much to make with parts and fittings already available. I'd certainly buy one, Yocan! Love those shotgun hits of the NYX :), the only thing really missing from the Evolve Plus. (I know, they each have their place, but one can dream of a single option that can provide it all).

The Yocan rep's message above seemed pretty clear to me, atomizers for the OG Evolve have some glue on the underneath side of the drip down plate to hold the wires in place. The coils for the Evolve Plus use a design change to hold said wires in place.

My question to that is, what should we expect to find in the NYX atty's? I didn't try it, but does the NYX and the Plus use the same atty? In that case, I would expect them to utilize the newest non-glued attys as well.

Cheers!

Last edited:

jasonp61

^ Same experience here as the two posters above. I received my two pluses on Wednesday and the past two nights, I've yet to turn my D-Nail setup on or use any other wax consumption method.

tPg3ZdK.jpg

I had the same thought about the threads, just a bit rough on both of the pluses I received...a little bit of graphite powder and dot of anti-seize. Perfect now.

It's honestly like the plus really is the culmination of things learned from the OG Evolve and with also some stuff from the NYX filtering in, san's a carb option (which would be an AWESOME accessory option considering the screw on nature of the top mouth piece, Carb enabled/button mouthpiece Yocan?) Love those shotgun hits of the NYX :).

The Yocan rep's message above seemed pretty clear to me, atomizers for the OG Evolve have some glue on the underneath side of the drip down plate to hold the wires in place. The coils for the Evolve Plus use a design change to hold said wires in place.

My question to that is, what should we expect to find in the NYX atty's? I didn't try it, but does the NYX and the Plus use the same atty? In that case, I would expect them to utilize the newest non-glued attys as well.

Cheers!
I didnt think glue should be that close to a heat source, whats to stop the glue from heating up and passing vapor up through the atomizer?

jasonp61,

zikzak

I didnt think glue should be that close to a heat source, whats to stop the glue from heating up and passing vapor up through the atomizer?

Oh, I'm not going to chime in on that stuff. I have similar worries and appreciate all info the light is shed on because of this forum. Ask me a question about frameworks like ruby on rails or django..I'm your guy and can provide way too much info/geeking out on that SM :) .

jasonp61

Oh, I'm not going to chime in on that stuff. I have similar worries and appreciate all info the light is shed on because of this forum. Ask me a question about frameworks like ruby on rails or django..I'm your guy and can provide way too much info/geeking out on that SM :) .

It just seems like something that needs to be addressed in my opinion, inhaling glue is not something im interested in paying money to do.

smutman

SmutmanMDCXX
Wait til you try the ceramic donut atty. 2 days into it doing some comparisons between the Evolve, EvolvePlus with the quartz and ceramic and I am very medicated :)

It just seems like something that needs to be addressed in my opinion, inhaling glue is not something im interested in paying money to do.

I agree. Remember they are like 12-13 hrs ahead of us. Yocan has always replied (with some language barrier sometimes) but it does take them a little while due to time difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
smutman,
Reactions: zikzak

zikzak

Wait til you try the ceramic donut atty. 2 days into it doing some comparisons between the Evolve, EvolvePlus with the quartz and ceramic and I am very medicated :)

I can't wait! I hope they are released to market soon. I always prefer taste with a small sacrifice in efficiency. The ceramic donut atty I made via another users amazing pictorial directions a couple of pages back made me a very happy camper with the Evolve. However, learning today because of the post from Yocan, that glue is on the bottom of those attys / one I modded is concerning-- I guess I could go back and scrape off that glue from the one I modded.

zikzak,

jasonp61

I can't wait! I hope they are released to market soon. I always prefer taste with a small sacrifice in efficiency. The ceramic donut atty I made via another users amazing pictorial directions a couple of pages back made me a very happy camper with the Evolve. However, learning today because of the post from Yocan, that glue is on the bottom of those attys / one I modded is concerning-- I guess I could go back and scrape off that glue from the one I modded.

I have 65 dollars worth of coils coming and now i dont even want to use them im so apprehensive about the health effects. There has to be a way to assemble a coil/atomizer without putting glue so close to the heat source....

smutman

SmutmanMDCXX

Let me finish doing a few more sessions, clear my head of this foggggggggggg and I will give my thoughts and feelings up to this point here soon and help answer some questions and create new questions lol

smutman,

Spocks_Katra

So the old coils have glue in them? Im sorry im having trouble understanding you, from what you just posted it sounds like the old coils use glue in or around the wires? thats far too close for glue to be to a heat source is it not?

when you say "our new coils without glue" or "...with glue to fix wires.." that scares the shit out me....

I thought the coils were friction fit, i didnt think glue should be used anywhere near a coil or its wires....

After sinking 80 dollars into my yocan ultron, 40 for my evolve and 65 for 10 replacement coils i feel like ive supported your company enough to get a straight answer.

Where is glue used in the original yocan evolve? Is it used anywhere near or around the coil/atomizer? if so is this safe? You say your products are being sent for testing and the results will be posted when they are in, whats being tested and for what? Shouldnt testing have been done on the original evolves prior to shipping them? Also i thought there was extensive testing done on them as you posted earlier in the thread?

@Yocantech I would also like an answer to this. It seems extremely unhealthy and potentially hazardous

Spocks_Katra,

jasonp61

@Yocantech I would also like an answer to this. It seems extremely unhealthy and potentially hazardous

right? It just boggles my mind the idea of putting glue next to a set of coils and quartz rods that can heat up to like 800-1000f....surely it crossed someones mind that glue might vaporize at that temperature? Its a device specifically meant to inhale vapor from..something that in my opinion dosent jive well with glue?

jasonp61,

Spocks_Katra

worst part is im going out of town tomorrow and am bringing my evolve. would have ordered something else earlier this week had I known

Spocks_Katra,
Top Bottom