Multi-brand Xmax V2 Vaporizer (also Atmos Astra)

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
I beg to differ. See for the FM5, that UK company got a special OEM done for them taking the isolated air path idea that we discussed in the thread. When I asked Smiss they told me this was an exclusivity deal and this is why we don't have it implemented in the FM5-Pro or the standard FM5.

KeroZen,

max

Out to lunch
You beg to differ with what? That all Chinese companies copy everything, all the time? I never said that. But if you don't think copying technology is a way of life in China, even patented tech., then you haven't been paying attention. It's quite possible that Smiss has a different philosophy about working with other companies/customers than most Chinese companies. I've certainly seen them express that attitude. It's also quite possible that the X-Max manuf. doesn't share Smiss's attitude.

max,

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
That's where I'm at. Ruffhouse Studios told me and all the other customers that allegedly bought the newer version that it's what we got.
But I'm just skeptic. They then stated that the older version's on time was actually 2 minutes and that the newer version's on time was a minute bumped up. So I don't know what to believe, because if that's true then it would be misleading their customers into believing that the on time for the new vape is 5 minutes.

Where did you receive your newer version from?

Mine was directly from Topgreen. Emailing them you can find out what version you have, but there was definitely a 3min isolated airpath version that @mmenzie had, he just doesn't check in here too often.

The original v2 may have had 2min autoshutoff, difficult to tell exactly it was just really short (they may refer to the 1min heat up as a separate thing, so then 2min session?).

Topgreen told me ruffhouse had isolated airpath, just test your airpath and battery life. Those are more conclusive then the autoshutoff length, or try emailing topgreen to check serial numbers.

Also I do not think it is copying the Storm, they designed it and he gave feedback like us. He didn't design a product and then they made it and copied it, and not like FlowerMate and Eliv8 bc they're not producing old xmax v2 versions anymore at all. He helped improve their existing product, and ordered a rebrand basically. Maybe they didn't tell him they planned to sell it to others as well, and that may be classic China sketchy, but I think its exactly what happened. In any case, done :horse: until my Storm arrives to compare for sure.

Shit Snacks,
Reactions: tripwire

discursive

Long-time listener, first-time caller.

I've been using the current, isolated airpath/5min shutoff xmax v2 for about a week now. I got it while waiting patiently for the Grasshopper and ordered directly from topgreen after reading the heck out of @Shit Snacks contributions to this thread (much thanks). The prevailing wisdom seems to be to remove the screen from that metal bit inside the mouthpiece in order to increase the airflow, but I find the seven tiny holes clog quickly, greatly reducing airflow, even within the same session. Has anyone tried leaving the tiny screen in place and flipping the metal bit, such that the protruding part sort of plugs the hole at the top of the oven? It worsens airflow but allows me to go more sessions without having to unclog the metal bit's holes with a staple or what have you.

Shit Snacks

Long-time listener, first-time caller.

I've been using the current, isolated airpath/5min shutoff xmax v2 for about a week now. I got it while waiting patiently for the Grasshopper and ordered directly from topgreen after reading the heck out of @Shit Snacks contributions to this thread (much thanks). The prevailing wisdom seems to be to remove the screen from that metal bit inside the mouthpiece in order to increase the airflow, but I find the seven tiny holes clog quickly, greatly reducing airflow, even within the same session. Has anyone tried leaving the tiny screen in place and flipping the metal bit, such that the protruding part sort of plugs the hole at the top of the oven? It worsens airflow but allows me to go more sessions without having to unclog the metal bit's holes with a staple or what have you.

WELCOME! Happy to help

Yeah I think the holes need to cleared like every session with a bit of wire from a cable tie. I'm going to suggest to then the holes be made just slightly bigger, and that could help a lot (and being ae to clear them with a pin or toothpick would be easier too).

I also may try taking out that metal filter, and just using a mesh screen, to see what that's like (but I kinda hate mesh screens more than clearing tiny holes).

Vapefiend's upcoming new mouthpiece options seem really promising though too

Shit Snacks,

discursive

Much as I love my H2.2 HerbalAire and its efficiency and much as I anticipate loving the Grasshopper when it finally arrives, I have to say this xmax v2 is perfect at <$80. I'd put it above Pax, or , at the very least, if Pax is objectively better (with 'better' being completely subjective), it's not $100+ better, if that makes sense. They perform quite similarly, in fact. The xmax's form factor is not as sexy as Pax, but it's much cheaper, easier to clean, and less likely to break (e.g., gunked up Pax mouthpiece). I'm a bit perplexed as to how the xmax hasn't blown up a bit more, due to its price point and performance. Perhaps too much rebranding breeds distrust? Has anyone ever paid $100 (formerly $150) for an xmax rebranded as "the hippie" vaporizer? Seems like this thing could be a real competitor but for marketing, availability, and solid video reviews.

DVRez

I still dont think its fair to attribute it all to vapefiend, many of us on here tried it and suggested all these changes to topgreen, then this new version and the storm were released at the same time... I was told Ruffhouse has the latest xmax v2, and vnice on dhgate told me they also had the new version (but that is unconfirmed i suppose)

I purchased an XmaX v2 off Ali baba, from vnice, no more then 3 weeks ago, and it has a 3 min autoshutoff. I was also told it is the newest model. I remember vapor coming out of the led holes on the side, but the holes that were for show are actually real holes now, helping with the airpath but not truly isolated (unless that's what you guys mean). And the battery life is just terrible, I think I can get like 5-8 3 min sessions out of it, so I bought some batteries, hope they help!

DVRez,

Shit Snacks

I purchased an XmaX v2 off Ali baba, from vnice, no more then 3 weeks ago, and it has a 3 min autoshutoff. I was also told it is the newest model. I remember vapor coming out of the led holes on the side, but the holes that were for show are actually real holes now, helping with the airpath but not truly isolated (unless that's what you guys mean). And the battery life is just terrible, I think I can get like 5-8 3 min sessions out of it, so I bought some batteries, hope they help!

Well maybe they didn't even know they had an older version, or its defective perhaps.

Like I said, contact topgreen to know for sure

Shit Snacks,
Reactions: DVRez

DVRez

Well maybe they didn't even know they had an older version, or its defective perhaps.

Like I said, contact topgreen to know for sure

Just wanted people to know my experience in case they were looking to buy from vnice! thanks for your info, I'll email them and perhaps it is defective.

Shit Snacks

I posted this in tbe Storm thread since my Storm came a few days ago and after several burn offs etc I've been testing out this weekend with my brothers like my new xmax v2 before it (and ran some sessions before the weekend as well).

Anyway, as far as I can tell it is the exact same thing as the latest xmax. 5min shutoff, isolated airpath, solid battery life (an hour give or take depending on temps and sessions). Whats different is the white text on the xmax is gone, and the button is different on the Storm (both have improved button press from the original xmax v2 though, and better battery connect switch).

The Storm's button is metal chrome, and a bit flat with the right angle edges instead of being flatter like the xmax. The benefit of this aside from the way it feels on your hand, is that it helps prevent rolling on a table better (the xmax won't roll if you set it gently, but it can if rocked a little). One thing to note though is that Storm's button is louder and clickier sounding.

mITqQRU.jpg

cVoBDMn.jpg

Both are fine session conduction pen vapes, better than Imag and other pen types to me for replaceable batteries and solid temp setting variety. They also both feel solid as fuck, like the T1 in that way, but Storm does feel ever slightly more premium superficially. Taste is only sub par to me though, even as a session conduction vape, I find these ceramic ovens lose their good taste quicker than others, and taste worse when they do (I think it may have something to do with the insulation used here and in the FM/new Imag+), despite the nice low temp offered here. Though the short vapor path plays a part in this as well, its a combination of all these factors that make taste not a strong suit here.

Also bith will benefit when the new Storm mouthpiece adjustments become available, though these ones do fit into most any water pipe. And Ive been trying just taking out the metal filter piece all together now, and making a bottle cap screen using an indica screen bent around the metal filter and then trimmed. Then stick it in the mouthpiece and better airflow, but still not great and riskier, bc its easy to overwhelm the heater, having to wait before drawing again... I think the metal filter may work well if it had slightly larger holes (and maybe if there was some sort of spacer part to keep herb from getting stuck to it, but so many others suffer from this too).

Anyway I think these are the best cheap Chinese option right now, though the FM Pro could be nice with even lower temps possible now. Even so these are still a solid starter vape, in between vape, whathaveyou. Just make sure your vetting the latest xmax v2 if you can, or just order the Storm. I may suggest to Topgreen that they change their name or something to help differentiate better.

Shit Snacks,
Reactions: tripwire

DVRez

I took out the metal piece in the MP too, and just have a SS screen sitting on top of the oven. I cut a little slit (like someone on this thread had done) so I could use tweezers to get it out easily. Airflow is definitely better!

So I also emailed my seller about the v2 not being the most current model, even though I was told otherwise, and was told that the 5 min auto shutoff, better battery life, etc, isn't released yet and the ones that are out are test models. She is going to try to get me the newest version when they get it in, so we'll see if that happens!

Love this forum, and look forward to becoming part of it!!

Shit Snacks

Just an update after talking to my rep at Topgreen:

They've switched insulation materials to help make taste even better for the isolated airpath version, and I will be receiving this model soon to test out. Ill report on that when i know more.

They have also developed a new metal filter that has a slot for mesh screens instead the holes for better airflow, which i will test as well. They also took my suggestion on the hole sizes for the regular mp filter, and will send two options for me to test (a 1.2mm hole size and 1mm, vs the original 0.8mm). I will help them figure out what the optimal hole size is for maximizing airflow without getting pieces of herb in your mouth. I tend to prefer holes to mesh as I said, but we'll see when I compare. They may also include both options for the final release.

Also when these new versions are officially released, there will likely be a slight name change to help consumers know exactly what theyre getting. My suggestion is just xmax V3, but we'll see what they end up with.

(Also been informed they are working on a more powerful and fully featured entirely new model as well, and I will create a new thread for it when I know more details)

wecnal

Just an update after talking to my rep at Topgreen:

They've switched insulation materials to help make taste even better for the isolated airpath version, and I will be receiving this model soon to test out. Ill report on that when i know more.

They have also developed a new metal filter that has a slot for mesh screens instead the holes for better airflow, which i will test as well. They also took my suggestion on the hole sizes for the regular mp filter, and will send two options for me to test (a 1.2mm hole size and 1mm, vs the original 0.8mm). I will help them figure out what the optimal hole size is for maximizing airflow without getting pieces of herb in your mouth. I tend to prefer holes to mesh as I said, but we'll see when I compare. They may also include both options for the final release.

Also when these new versions are officially released, there will likely be a slight name change to help consumers know exactly what theyre getting. My suggestion is just xmax V3, but we'll see what they end up with.

(Also been informed they are working on a more powerful and fully featured entirely new model as well, and I will create a new thread for it when I know more details)

Where is the best place to buy this? Could you pass along a URL? I'm looking for something to replace my imag.

wecnal,

Shit Snacks

Where is the best place to buy this? Could you pass along a URL? I'm looking for something to replace my imag.

Not sure that its entirely on sale quite yet, to be sure you get the final version. Close though.

In the meantime the Storm at vapefiend is the best way to get the latest version right now

Shit Snacks,

wecnal

Not sure that its entirely on sale quite yet, to be sure you get the final version. Close though.

In the meantime the Storm at vapefiend is the best way to get the latest version right now

Do they deliver to the US? I can't find anything about US delivery/costs.

wecnal,

max

Out to lunch
Do they deliver to the US? I can't find anything about US delivery/costs.
Shipping is free, but there's a VAT. You'll pay right at $100 total. You'll also have the option to get an upgraded mouthpiece later on-postage cost only.

max,

kushbury

I ordered one of these with the 5 minute cut off and sealed airway, I'm expecting it this week. I currently rock a Solo as my daily vape, I saw this while looking for something more grab and go. I think it's great that the manufacturer is taking feedback and making modifications to the design, it's not often you hear that.

Review to come.

Last edited:

kushbury

Just arrived and charging up! The box has now has a "PRO" sticker on it,. I'm assuming this is the identifier they're going with for the 5 min auto shutoff and isolated air path.

More to come!

max

Out to lunch
I think it's great that the manufacturer is taking feedback and making modifications to the design, it's not often you hear that.
Well it helps if you're already making 'em with those features for someone else, which is the case here. I do hope these companies listen to the market and incorporate features that more expensive models have, that still don't cost a lot to include. Changing the air path and vaping time is easy. No reason not to make upgrades like those.

Shit Snacks

Well it helps if you're already making 'em with those features for someone else, which is the case here. I do hope these companies listen to the market and incorporate features that more expensive models have, that still don't cost a lot to include. Changing the air path and vaping time is easy. No reason not to make upgrades like those.

They are making more for new devices, I will be creating a new thread when the designs are finalized for that model.

My new Pro (still a chance we could see a V3) arrived too, gold this time, after burn offs last night, and only limited use so far, taste with the new insulation material seems pretty great. More testing needed.

I also have two new mp filter plates with larger hole sizes, so far I've only used the biggest and it seems pretty great airflow for now (with Elevape mp screen resting on top of fine ground packed load).

Ordered and received a IMAG Plus Ceramic directly from http://www.imagvape.com/. Shipped on April 18th from Hong Kong and arrived on the 20th :rockon:

So far, I really like it and would definitely recommend it. The device has a good weight to it, feels well built so far. Slight smell, but after a few burn offs at the highest temp the smell went away. Vaping at the lowest temp (green light) the hits were flavorful and strong. Cleared the load in about 15 hits. ABV was very evenly browned without stirring during the session. I'll try to post some pictures of the ABV at each heat setting in a bit.

Wrong thread?

Last edited by a moderator:

kushbury

So I've done a few hours of testing and I am fully satisfied! This is a great unit! Build quality is top notch; steel construction, good weight, well machined threads, just fantastic!

Just for context, I have a Solo and think it's the bees knees but I was looking for something more grab and go, not necessarily as a replacement. On to the review....

The bowl is deeper than the bowl on the end of a Solo or Air but it is more narrow. Because it is conduction it's recommended to use a corse grind not packed too tightly (though I tried a tighter packed bowl on the advice of KeroZen with great results too). I used roughly 2/3 of what I would put in a Solo stem.

I did 8 - 10 burn offs at the highest temp setting before loading it up with herb. The first bowl had a bit of a rubber taste from the mouthpiece but had gone away completely after the maiden voyage.

It has 5 temp settings and is a 5 click on / 3 to cycle temp system. Works great!

Taste is a little below the Solo but the vapor itself is smoother, that might just be because I use less herb in the x max, the lighter draw resistance or that by Solo chamber is getting long in the tooth.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Solo, but I could see myself grabbing for the X Max even when portability is not a concern.

That's the coles notes version. I'm going to tote this thing around with me over the next few days, take some pics and try it out in different scenarios to see if the great first impression holds up!

Last edited:
Top Bottom