Multi-brand Xmax V2 Vaporizer (also Atmos Astra)

Carl Hempel

I have one of Vapefiends tweaked Xmax V2's (a.k.a The Storm) - I have only hit one cycle on it this morning, and I must say that I'm impressed.

The build quality is very good, the unit heats up fast and the vapour is surprisingly flavoursome. There is a little draw resistance, but it's not major and can be mitigated with draw technique - the vapour isn't too hot or harsh on the throat -

The ABV came out evenly coloured with no sign of scorching at 190ºC (Blue). Yet to try it with oils but will report back when I have -it's pretty stealthy too. So far, so good.

Here it is next to my Air;
8frnyVQ.png

Carl Hempel

@Carl Hempel how is the battery life?

Too early to say, I'll let people know after a thorough weekend of testing. Love the fact that the unit has swappable 18650's, *and* it's USB chargeable too - can see that being very handy.

Can confirm it works pretty well with a bubbler (D020-d in my case) the rubberised MP fits snug into an 18mm joint. Decent vapour on green (200ºc) with great flavour, and then purple (210ºc) produced even thicker clouds...

0qIhetL.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

mmenzie

My friends call me "Menz"
i just received an updated xmax v2 from topgreen. i was told it has an isolated airpath and a better battery. i have tried a couple of times and i can say it is MUCH better than my original from them and the airpath does seem to be isolated better. the battery does seem better as well and the LEDs show differently when charging so i can tell there are improvements from the original. Overall... i'm satisfied.

PPN

Volute of Vapor
I'll get one too,the old version is already one of my favourite chinese vape but the new one seems promising..does it comes with the same battery than the previous version?

PPN,

mmenzie

My friends call me "Menz"
@mmenzie does your new one have the 5 min auto shutoff? Also does it have all the text printed on the outer casing?
both my old one and my new one had text on the outside so i am not sure what you mean by that. the new one is still a 3 min shutoff timer. the changes i noticed between the old one and the new one are:
1) the new one the air does go in and out the airholes
2) the charging LED sequence seems different than my old one (all lights light up or at least the one lights makes the others seem lit but follow the color sequence)

mmenzie,

davesmith

Glass Blower
So now vape fiend has them does that mean they can move from thread candidates?

Is the new air path completely sealed?

It's a very competitive price point for a western retailer and considering the pnp or Titan are the competitors we may be looking at a really great new model. Replaceable batteries, Ecig style design, sealed air path(?).

I'm inteigued....

sidewing

well after years of waiting for something to fit my niche of what i wanted in a herbal vape pen, i think this is as close as its gotten.
the Atmos Astra is a new product intended to vape (not combust).. here is the description from their website:

The Atmos Astra is the next generation all-in-one portable vaporizer. The Astra’s embedded ceramic heating chamber vaporizes dry herbs providing users with pure flavorful taste, while its removable stainless steel cups allow users to vaporize waxy and liquids, making it one of the most versatile vaporizers available. The Astra is equipped with five preset heating temperatures, allowing users to vaporize their preferred product at the temperature that best fits their needs. The Astra is powered by an interchangeable lithium-ion battery that provides long lasting battery life for extended use. The Astra’s revolutionary heating chamber, minimal heating time and advanced temperature settings give users control over every aspect of their vaping experience. Take charge of your vaping with the Atmos Astra.
Size: h 6.17 in, d 0.94 in

This Kit Includes:

1 - Lithium Ion 2000mAh Battery
1 - Heating Chamber
1 - Mouthpiece/Filter
1 - Liquid & Waxy Cup
1 - Tweezers
1 - Cleaning Brush Tool
1 - Packing Tool
1 - USB Cable
1 - Wall Charger
1 - User Manual

so its basically 6 inches long and 1 inch across. the battery is removable/interchangeable and it uses a micro usb charger (convenient since i use android devices). the heating element is a ceramic bowl so to say, not a cheap coil.. there is no direct contact to combust herb if you are using flowers. it has 5 heat settings so you can dial in to the exact temp you want to vape at. it seems that it heats very quickly, and has a 3 minute auto shutoff. i will be using this piece strictly for dried herb and some occasional bubble bag hash. the product is very new and there is no reviews online yet. its on their website for basically $200. the reason i also decided to give this piece a try is because it was on groupon for $99 (50% discount). for basically $100 dollars it seems like a steal if it works as it is intended.
the groupon purchases through a provider called 'smk24' which i am not familiar with. but non the less my unit should be here on saturday as i paid extra for expedited shipping. looking forward to see how she performs.
atmos-astra-kit-back.jpg

on a side note, i saw someone elseware mention that its a rebrand of the X-Max V2 by XVape.. it does look very similar, but from the pictures it looks to be an improvement. the heating element and inside look upgraded, and also the capability of charging from micro usb seems to be absent on the x-max. that is a major selling point for me, because i can use my mobile phone car charger in a pinch if needed.

sidewing,

PPN

Volute of Vapor
I get my test unit from vapefiend, it's an improved X-Mas V2 called the Storm.

They claim airpath is isolated from internals...I believe them but this is don't improves the taste (it is very similar to previous version....just decent), battery life is better (5-6 sessions per charge, 2 runs per session) and no more bugs!

They make it stealthier too as shows the previous pics.

Performances are very similar to the previous version but I think the new version is running a bit colder (abv is lighter in color).

The button is a bit noisy when you press it but it's a minor issue..all in all it's still one of my most used chinese vape cause it give you great clouds, perfect extraction, short and intense sessions...even if there is a lack of taste (but still better than Imag+ imho). It's very nice they fix the bug issue cause it makes me crazy sometimes!

For less than 100$ it's a good choice, especially if you are a cloud chaser!

al bundy

Vaporist
Looks and sounds like the Pinnacle Pro,
And it could stand up without a stand.
The battery and usb deal is definetly a plus.

al bundy,

sidewing

At first I was going to get the imag+ but it seemed there was still needed mods and revisions needed. Hoping for the best with this one. I really wanted something small like the atmos jr. But Id have to install a honeycomb glass screen to keep herb from touching, and probably a mesh screen above that.. Not sure if there'd be enough room for any actual herb after that.. anyway. Hoping for the best.

sidewing,

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Yes this is absolutely no question a rebranded xmax2. As long as it is the new isolated airpath version, which I would hope it safe to presume it is, then it should be a win.

The xmax v2 thread title should ve updated to include vapefiend's storm and now this Astra

Shit Snacks,

Shit Snacks

Disapointing to hear that taste hasn't improved despite the sealed airpath and lower temps....

My new imag+ ceramic's taste isn't phenomenal, but its for sure better than my original xmax v2 (with open airpath and shit battery life)

weedandbombs

Vape Queen! :D
I received a XMAX V2 to review and then was sent the updated one, but I am having issues - I cannot for the life of me get this thing to vape correctly. I have it on the mid-range setting and it still combusts and seems to get too hot to touch after a short period of time. I'm supposed to review this, but don't want to provide a bad review if I'm missing something here. I've been using and reviewing vaporizers for years, but I'm still not a total expert.

weedandbombs,

sidewing

Just got the tracking number today, 2 day shipping. Just so I know, how will I be able to tell if it has that new isolated air path?

Just got it. Needs a 6 hour first charge then I'll try it out.

well the rubber mouthpiece had a pretty strong smell. i had read in another thread to soak in ISO alcohol, so i did that and i rinsed well with hot water. the smell is gone. i did two 3 minute burn ins on max heat and did not see any fumes or anything burning off. it has a slight smell though. i loaded a bowl from the grinder and i fired it up at 392. it takes about 20 seconds to get to that temperature. it vaped so pure. the flavor was amazing. pretty good amount of vapor visible.. i'd say 392 is the perfect spot for a nice clean vapor session. i took about 4 drags off it, then i bumped it up to 410. the amount of visible vapor went up (probably nearly doubled?). the flavor was still good. not quite as pure as the 392 was, it picked up a very very very slight beginning of the popcorn taste when you've vaping too hot. i really like the 410 degree level right now as im looking more for a heavy vape because im enjoying joint smoking these days. i took a few more rips at 410, and then i bumped it up to the max at 428. the taste went very popcorn.. it DID NOT combust, but it was vaping heavy. i mean it took it as close to combustion as you can get without actual combustion. this level will produce massive clouds, but the flavor is not the delicious flavor that a 392 degree level gives you.

so i guess the conclusion here is that for me i never achieved combustion even at the hottest temperature. its about finding the right level of vape that you're looking for. as i said for me, 392 for flavor, 410 for a heavier effect.

i got several large rips off 1 bowl.

battery life seems great. i did basically 5 full 3 minute runs.. (15 minutes) and the battery indicator barely dropped to green on the last one. meaning it's battery still has about 50% charge. i read online that it only takes a couple of hours to recharge from 0%. ill probably just plug it in after every session to keep it maxed.

air flow seems fine to me. i did not have any problems at all. i can see how the little holes in the mouth piece can clog easily with use. i'm either going to take it out and just put a plain mesh screen in there, or get a tiny drill and make the holes bigger by 200-300%. doesnt really matter becuase theres a small screen on the back end also. might be worthwhile to just drill out most of the area where the 5 tiny holes are, and just basically have a hole that leads to the mesh screen in the mouthpiece. ill cross that road when/if it becomes an issue.

i do not think this piece has the 'new isolated airpath'. i was reading in another thread that if you blow through while vaping if it comes out of the usb port and the led ports then its not the new isolated airpath. and thats where the vapor came out from.

either way, this piece is fantastic.. it vapes well. a couple of very minor tweaks could improve it greatly, but i dont feel its anything worth knocking the piece about. it is going to be my all day device to get medicated. now excuse me while i endulge in another bowl.

if anyone can direct me on how to post pictures here locally without a seperate image host i'll put up some images.

Last edited by a moderator:
sidewing,
Reactions: Wzfbaby7

Shit Snacks

I received a XMAX V2 to review and then was sent the updated one, but I am having issues - I cannot for the life of me get this thing to vape correctly. I have it on the mid-range setting and it still combusts and seems to get too hot to touch after a short period of time. I'm supposed to review this, but don't want to provide a bad review if I'm missing something here. I've been using and reviewing vaporizers for years, but I'm still not a total expert.

If combustion happens in a fixed temp conduction vape like this, seems that that means it is faulty to me. Tell then it seems you got a defective unit that combusts?

Shit Snacks,

Haunts

Too early to say, I'll let people know after a thorough weekend of testing. Love the fact that the unit has swappable 18650's, *and* it's USB chargeable too - can see that being very handy.

Can confirm it works pretty well with a bubbler (D020-d in my case) the rubberised MP fits snug into an 18mm joint. Decent vapour on green (200ºc) with great flavour, and then purple (210ºc) produced even thicker clouds...

0qIhetL.jpg

Carl, I'm guessing you're from the UK? Where did you get that bubbler from? And can you use it with the Da Buddha?

Sorry this isn't thread related.

Carl Hempel

Carl, I'm guessing you're from the UK? Where did you get that bubbler from? And can you use it with the Da Buddha?

Sorry this isn't thread related.

Hey Haunts - I am indeed from the UK, the Bubbler however is Chinese - you can find it here; http://www.dhgate.com/store/product/d020-d-bubbler-glass-water-percolator-smoking/187214099.html

With the right adaptor you can absolutely hook it up to the Dabuddha, you'll need a 19mm one of these:
http://dabuddhavaporizer.com/index.php/dabuddhavaporizer/gog-solid-water-pipe-adapter.html

Good vibes fellow island dweller.

Carl Hempel,

PPN

Volute of Vapor
I didn't take it apart....

Taste improves a bit with time but after 2-4 pulls (it depends setting you use) you get a generic taste, they improved the treading betwenn the battery compartment and the heater, it smoother now.

About vapor, while heating, and before the unit told you you can start to vape, you can see vapor escaping from the air inlets on the side (but nothing threw button, led's holes and usb port, the airpath seems sealed), I thought unit was colder but in fact I only think it take more time to heat the load than the previous version, the heating technique seems to run smoother imo.

And I forgot to told you the timer is longer now (maybe 5mn....?)

I tried again the concentrate cup (I took off the wick and screen) with a drop of reclaim....whispy vapor at max but "tasty" as reclaim can be....although I don't want to waste good shatter in it!

So it's definitly a only dry herb unit but you can mix concentrates with flowers with great results!

max

Out to lunch
Defective for sure.

max,
Top Bottom