• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Multi-brand X MAX STARRY

StonerSloth

cui bono?
StonerSloth,
Reactions: sNc

jakeattack77

I don't know, it depends what you mean by vapor production. Both vapes will extract everything in your oven and turn your material very dark brown. Air has more draw resistance than the Starry.

It looks like Vapefield has replacement mouthpieces available for the rebrand but we still can't get Starry mouthpieces :(

https://vapefiend.co.uk/spirit-by-storm-replacement-mouthpiece

i guess what i mean is how much vapor comes out? some were saying its not as much as they would like

although i have a theory that the airpath is picking up a bunch hence why it gets clogged a bit more easily. because of all the filters.

i guess the better question is can it still get you plenty blazed and can it do so decently quickly im still unsure if i want a session or an on demand, i honestly want something that can be both but thats prob too much to ask

jakeattack77,

PPN

Volute of Vapor
The Starry works pretty well with concentrates due to the high t° avalaible (240°C!) although I don't feel confortable to use it at this t° for more than 1 or 2 minutes.... taste is not the best although...

Did you seen the Starry tear down by PIU? looks pretty clean in their opinion...

StonerSloth

cui bono?
i guess what i mean is how much vapor comes out? some were saying its not as much as they would like

although i have a theory that the airpath is picking up a bunch hence why it gets clogged a bit more easily. because of all the filters.

i guess the better question is can it still get you plenty blazed and can it do so decently quickly im still unsure if i want a session or an on demand, i honestly want something that can be both but thats prob too much to ask

There is only one filter downstream of the load - the ceramic one (I removed the mesh one before my first use) - so no vapor is getting trapped or lost in the mouthpiece aside from the stuff that condenses.

Plenty of vapor comes out. And it will get you where you want to be, quicker than the Air due to draw restriction..

The FW4 can sort of be both an on-demand and session vape. Might be worth checking out for you. It is a good vape, but you won't get the consistent huge clouds you'll get with a conduction or hybrid vape.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Heard back from Topgreen, they assured me the silicone used is all food grade, what is wrapped around the oven as seen in the photos may be the same as in the mouthpiece and seems like it is probably the same as used in the xmax v2 pro? It does seem neutral there and in the mouthpiece after soaking, issue is you can't soak the parts touching the I've around and inside on top, so hopefully it eventually neutralizes from the burn offs?

Airpath wise it should be pretty isolated too, but there are slight gaps and crevices where the construction comes together, so with air intakes blocked that is why it can come through usb. In normal use airflow probably takes path of least resistance and is fine, I am a little concerned about vapor getting over the electronics though... In any case they will look into this for the future making more airtight seals so that's good news.

The fumes could just be visible hot air now that they are so slight, but I'm not sure since the smell isn't gone yet either. Would be nice if someone else could test and compare with me, but seems everyone else used they're units without checking that? Didn't notice smells like I did? I can check with the second unit, though it certainly smells the same...

I'll keep updating if anything changes, would like to be able to try it with herb myself some day, but we shall see

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
@Shit Snacks - I've got two Starry's....the original from when it first came out and the new branded one from POTV. I always do a few max temp burn-offs to "cure" a new unit but also to stress test it and taste/smell test it empty. Testing it empty so that the smell and taste of flowers doesn't compromise or hide anything. I did the same with the Starry's. During this method of testing I mouth pump/draw on the unit at different intervals during a series of 10 minute burn-offs including the end of the session. I experienced no taste or smell issues beyond the new electronic smell and that was gone after the first bowl of flowers.

Unfortunately I didn't do a visual fume's test when I first got the units and now, as you mentioned, it's too late since I've already used the units.

davesmith

Glass Blower
Notice that vapefiend have a storm branded model of this. I like and trust vapefiend so prefer to buy from them than ebayers ideally

davesmith,

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
Yes, it's possible that the QA/QC would be higher and even that they ordered some custom improvements and/or modifications.

I recommended to get the Storm instead of the X-Max v2 for the previous product, I think I'll end up recommending the Storm Starry over the OG.

Shit Snacks

Eh I don't see why it would be any different. Only difference I noticed between the last two was the button and all black no-white-text body... PotV Starry is stealthier but really same

Meanwhile smell may almost be ready for with mine, running extra to help further cure the silicone, I guess it just takes a while without being able to iso soak what's on or wrapped around the oven, but enough heat nay eventually neutralize it for me. As we know this is a very subjective issue and some may never notice what I notice, being pickier about silicone etc. and I do trust Topgreen/xmax on material safety, but factory burn ins could be nice

Will keep updating, with actual useage too, some day soon I hope!

Hagbard

hi guys, i searched a lot of threads and youtube and so on. unfortunately right AFTEr i ordered the starry from vaposhop. i just wanted to find out what the real differences were but gladly u guys already took care of it :tup:

referring to the comaprison above i just found this statement on the vapefiend facebook concerning the vapefiend version:

somebody asked: Is this the same as the X Max Starry vaporizer?
Vapefiends reply: Not quite... SPIRIT features a better battery which gives more vaping time, it also has a more stealthy and stylish body design, and it works better with concentrates and resins thanks to our concentrate pads and resin capsules, not available for the other model you mention. And the most important thing, full warranty service handled here in the UK.

so if the only differences are a bit more sleaky design, a "better" battery and a concentrate pad (which is actually included with the starry as well) there is not much to worry about...

could any owner of both versions confirm that when it comes to performance there is not much of a difference? i am a bit worried i bought the "wrong" one and would miss something in this version?

thanks a ton :wave::love:

Hagbard,
Reactions: KeroZen

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
Yeah hence my remark above. OEM/ODM products can be customized by the retailer/distributor/brand and it's not because it's the same shell (spare eye candy) that it's the same guts.

We've seen similar claims in the FURY thread recently for instance, and I believe they are saying the truth when they say their product is improved.

It was also the case with that special FlowerMate5 version which was the first to sport the isolated air intake via the stem holder.

Shit Snacks

Yeah battery is replaceable 18650 so easy to include one with larger capacity, likewise concentrate pod could be their own design since it is a separate part, and finally of course the body will be blacked out like PotV for more stealth, not exactly sleeker or more stylish imo though nicer... So yeah I'd expect same performance pretty much, no worries

Meanwhile I was wrong, smells persist in mine as do fumes, just missed em before due to lighting angle I suppose, definitely still prominent and seems like I won't be able to test this after all. I'll keep trying with the burn offs, maybe it'll get there though I'm not very optimistic. Didn't expect this to be like the Zolo for me, but here we are unfortunately. It's a shame since I trust and support topgreen, seems like a nice unit too, we shall see

isontric

Yeah battery is replaceable 18650 so easy to include one with larger capacity, likewise concentrate pod could be their own design since it is a separate part, and finally of course the body will be blacked out like PotV for more stealth, not exactly sleeker or more stylish imo though nicer... So yeah I'd expect same performance pretty much, no worries

Meanwhile I was wrong, smells persist in mine as do fumes, just missed em before due to lighting angle I suppose, definitely still prominent and seems like I won't be able to test this after all. I'll keep trying with the burn offs, maybe it'll get there though I'm not very optimistic. Didn't expect this to be like the Zolo for me, but here we are unfortunately. It's a shame since I trust and support topgreen, seems like a nice unit too, we shall see

I just received mine today. I'm definitely put off by the off-gassing. I didn't realize it would be so potent. I've blown into the mouth piece for 2 cycles so far and the smell is gradually getting less potent. I've started leaving the unit on and just letting it sit hoping the smell will burn off. I do not see any visible fumes no matter the angle in which I point the light. I'm hoping the smell and taste goes away soon. I can't see this being safe to use out of the box. If anyone has any tips for helping with the smell and taste please let me know. Thanks!

Shit Snacks

Keep the mouthpiece on during your burn offs.

I haven't been doing that really, especially after cleaning the mouthpiece since I didn't want to stink it up again, but also bc the fumes and smell needed to air out? I dono, its typical to do them without mouthpiece on, no? For example that's how I would burn off xmax v2 pro fine...

Shit Snacks,
Reactions: BigJr48

isontric

I haven't been doing that really, especially after cleaning the mouthpiece since I didn't want to stink it up again, but also bc the fumes and smell needed to air out? I dono, its typical to do them without mouthpiece on, no? For example that's how I would burn off xmax v2 pro fine...

I'm curious about this as well.

Also a little update: So far the smell and taste is still there after 15 burn-offs at max temp. I've smelled all around the vape to see where the smell could be coming from, When it's hot you can REALLY smell it from the intake vents. I'm not sure if this means that the smell is because of the heating element, the chamber or possibly electronics around the vent area. So far I've drained the battery and charged it 3 cycles. Not very pleased so far.

No one should have to burn in a vape for this long for it to be safe to use.

Shit Snacks

I'm curious about this as well.

Also a little update: So far the smell and taste is still there after 15 burn-offs at max temp. I've smelled all around the vape to see where the smell could be coming from, When it's hot you can REALLY smell it from the intake vents. I'm not sure if this means that the smell is because of the heating element, the chamber or possibly electronics around the vent area. So far I've drained the battery and charged it 3 cycles. Not very pleased so far.

No one should have to burn in a vape for this long for it to be safe to use.

I'm used to it from almost every Chinese vape I have ever tested unfortunately... Here it seemed the oven is wrapped in the same black silicone as the mouthpiece (same as xmax mp?) so that is my best guess as to the cause, we can't get in there to cure it properly. I don't know what to tell you since I haven't been able to use mine after more burn offs than that even, but seems we may be in the minority of owners here?

isontric

I'm used to it from almost every Chinese vape I have ever tested unfortunately... Here it seemed the oven is wrapped in the same black silicone as the mouthpiece (same as xmax mp?) so that is my best guess as to the cause, we can't get in there to cure it properly. I don't know what to tell you since I haven't been able to use mine after more burn offs than that even, but seems we may be in the minority of owners here?

Thanks for your insight. I'm going to give it till the end of the weekend. Though I'm leaning toward returning it and eating the shipping cost.

I'm eyeing the AirVape XS or one of the Boundless hybrid units. Are either of those going to have the same off-gassing issues? I'd like to avoid Chinese made vapes from here on out.

isontric,

Shit Snacks

Thanks for your insight. I'm going to give it till the end of the weekend. Though I'm leaning toward returning it and eating the shipping cost.

I'm eyeing the AirVape XS or one of the Boundless hybrid units. Are either of those going to have the same off-gassing issues? I'd like to avoid Chinese made vapes from here on out.

Never tried those units

Shit Snacks,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
Anyone who is sensitive to the smells will find it in most Chinese manufactured vapes.

I spoke to a manufacturer once who said burnoffs done with the mouthpiece or lid off are exposing the units to situations they weren't designed for. A closed oven will reach equilibrium and rest a bit. An open oven overclocks the system and can lead to whatever might have been in the vape being baked on instead of boiled off.

A closed oven is better. And if you are doing multiple burnoffs, don't do them back to back, but instead give the unit some time to cool off. When we run the oven for a cycle without hitting it we are again creating a situation the vape wasn't designed for since it was meant to cool some when we hit it. Multiple, back to back burnoffs can get the circuit boards hotter than designed and possibly damage them.

So, I suggest doing burnoffs with the oven lid on and giving the unit time to cool to room temperature between runs. Anything more could possibly be adding to the problem instead of fixing it.

This info is all anecdotal and not tested by me, but has been collected from multiple manufacturer interviews.

Shit Snacks

Anyone who is sensitive to the smells will find it in most Chinese manufactured vapes.

I spoke to a manufacturer once who said burnoffs done with the mouthpiece or lid off are exposing the units to situations they weren't designed for. A closed oven will reach equilibrium and rest a bit. An open oven overclocks the system and can lead to whatever might have been in the vape being baked on instead of boiled off.

A closed oven is better. And if you are doing multiple burnoffs, don't do them back to back, but instead give the unit some time to cool off. When we run the oven for a cycle without hitting it we are again creating a situation the vape wasn't designed for since it was meant to cool some when we hit it. Multiple, back to back burnoffs can get the circuit boards hotter than designed and possibly damage them.

So, I suggest doing burnoffs with the oven lid on and giving the unit time to cool to room temperature between runs. Anything more could possibly be adding to the problem instead of fixing it.

This info is all anecdotal and not tested by me, but has been collected from multiple manufacturer interviews.

Yeah I remember that, no idea if it got worse bc of what I did or not, but I just don't see how it could've improved with the lid on either. We're all mostly speculating I suppose, it's a much contested subject, comparing different vapes and individual experiences. I guess I could test more with second unit and lid on burn offs since I haven't done much at all with that one yet...

Shit Snacks,

bushmaster

Kinda strange, I did the first obligatory burn-off and have used my Starry daily without noticing objectionable odors or vapors. Of course, I'm a logger and I'm accustomed to diesel fumes, hydraulic oil fumes and brake fumes. Stands to reason that I might not notice whatever might be coming from the Starry. Also stands to reason that after breathing that stuff year after year, whatever might be coming off the Starry is probably small-change shit compared to what I suck in for a living.

isontric

Kinda strange, I did the first obligatory burn-off and have used my Starry daily without noticing objectionable odors or vapors. Of course, I'm a logger and I'm accustomed to diesel fumes, hydraulic oil fumes and brake fumes. Stands to reason that I might not notice whatever might be coming from the Starry. Also stands to reason that after breathing that stuff year after year, whatever might be coming off the Starry is probably small-change shit compared to what I suck in for a living.

The smell is definitely subjective. All the reviews I've watched on youtube, they open the box and start vaping. I'm willing to bet most people do the same thing. I sure did with my Pax 2. The ONLY reason I did a burn-off is because the reports in this thread of off-gassing. It's possible I wouldn't even know there is a smell / taste from this vape because the smell and taste of herb is so potent.

Shit Snacks

The smell is definitely subjective. All the reviews I've watched on youtube, they open the box and start vaping. I'm willing to bet most people do the same thing. I sure did with my Pax 2. The ONLY reason I did a burn-off is because the reports in this thread of off-gassing. It's possible I wouldn't even know there is a smell / taste from this vape because the smell and taste of herb is so potent.

Exactly, I didn't start out being this much of a snob about it personally, and you'll see here a total dichotomy among members. I wouldn't recommend in general maybe, but it is what I like to do when I don't find smells to be neutral for me out of the box, most aren't it seems.

isontric

Exactly, I didn't start out being this much of a snob about it personally, and you'll see here a total dichotomy among members. I wouldn't recommend in general maybe, but it is what I like to do when I don't find smells to be neutral for me out of the box, most aren't it seems.

Well, I decided to start using the vape today. I wasn't able to taste anything or smell anything with herb in chamber. Chamber was packed light and tight, good vapor. Compared to my Pax 2 I'm actually surprised that the vapor quality is smoother. I tested 370 f and 390 f. I do not think id ever go any hotter than that. Needless to say, I'm satisfied with the performance for the cost of the device.

Top Bottom