Multi-brand X MAX STARRY

jakeattack77

hmmm weird. i like the form of the vape yet, might just try it anyway and the resin from herb might coat it or something.

when i do burn off just set to max temp and let it sit? should i blow through mouthpeice or something
the air path looks pretty clean, i didnt even notice any air coming through the usb port

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
hmmm weird. i like the form of the vape yet, might just try it anyway and the resin from herb might coat it or something.

when i do burn off just set to max temp and let it sit? should i blow through mouthpeice or something
the air path looks pretty clean, i didnt even notice any air coming through the usb port

For a standard burn-off I set the working time to the max and the temp to the max and just let it run till it turns itself off If I want to test and/or clear the vape during burn-off I will take a couple mouth-pumps without inhaling. Kinda like smoking a cigarette. The Starry can get pretty hot during a burn-off like this so test the mouthpiece before putting your lips to it. With the Starry I don't blow into the air holes to test/clear it during the burn-off.

His_Highness,
Reactions: FlyingDane

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
I would do as many burn offs until you feel comfortable, just space them out so it can cool off in between. I also wouldn't inhale through it at all when it smells bad like that, but that could just be me (I saw fumes too so that gave me extra pause). I remove the lid once it reaches temp so it can air out that way, while iso swabbing silicone parts and soaking the mouthpiece parts can help neutralize that smell quicker. We all have different sensitivities to smells as many threads here reveal, so just do whatever you feel comfortable with, everyone has a different burn off style too

jakeattack77

hey friends. i did a crap ton of burn offs, went through 2 batteries, thank god for removeable 18650, especially since my nitecore charger is much faster and better than micro usb, and i have extra batteries.

smell got better and also used some iso on the inside of the ceramic chamber.

once it got more tolerable i put bud in it and because of the flavor of the dank, i didnt notice any off smell at all!!!!!!

hit pretty decent as well, and the temp range is big enough that you can get very close to combustion if you want!

also, the draw resistance wasnt bad, not amazing but deff tolerable. something that bothers me about most vapes is they seem to have no design of the airpath before it hits bud, like as far as i can tell most of it seems to be designed to take advantage of the fact that they are not airtight!! Starry has holes at the bottom of the chamber AND holes on the body for intake.

All in all, this isnt maybe the top of the line device, but its well designed for its price point, Topgreen gave us features we wanted, and for a reallllly reasonable price

StonerSloth

cui bono?
hey friends. i did a crap ton of burn offs, went through 2 batteries, thank god for removeable 18650, especially since my nitecore charger is much faster and better than micro usb, and i have extra batteries.

smell got better and also used some iso on the inside of the ceramic chamber.

once it got more tolerable i put bud in it and because of the flavor of the dank, i didnt notice any off smell at all!!!!!!

hit pretty decent as well, and the temp range is big enough that you can get very close to combustion if you want!

also, the draw resistance wasnt bad, not amazing but deff tolerable. something that bothers me about most vapes is they seem to have no design of the airpath before it hits bud, like as far as i can tell most of it seems to be designed to take advantage of the fact that they are not airtight!! Starry has holes at the bottom of the chamber AND holes on the body for intake.

All in all, this isnt maybe the top of the line device, but its well designed for its price point, Topgreen gave us features we wanted, and for a reallllly reasonable price

Glad you are finally having good luck with your new Starry! It is a great device. The Starry does have relatively low draw resistance, but the ceramic screen does get gunked up fairly quickly without a screen on top of the load. I'm happy to see the replacement mouthpieces available so you can always have a clean one ready to hit the road and they are like $9 from PIU.

I think most vapes have air intake holes, even if they are not immediately noticeable at first glance. I don't know of any that legitimately rely on you pulling air through the body gaps??

davesmith

Glass Blower
Just pulled the trigger on a v1 starry brand new on eBay for £60 shipped. Figured the differences aren't that bad as long as there's no pcb issues. Also if I like it can always get a v2 at some point.

Does anyone know if the mouthpieces are interchangeable between the versions? I assume so. I know that's one of the upgrades and they are also available separately so may buy one at some point.

Just hope it's waiting for me with my neighbors when I get back off holiday

davesmith,

PPN

Volute of Vapor
Sorry for the back to back post but I just tested the V1 mp on my Spirit (the Vapefiend's Starry V2) and it fits but you'll get a smalll air gap, the only difference is the silicon is all around the zirconia screen on the V2, to make a seal, on the V1 the silicone doesn't cover all the walls of the zirconia screen...

Edit: the V2 mp doesn't fit at all the V1 unit.

b0

Cloudy...
Have been reading reviews and this vape doesn't look bad (still a bit worried with the fumes)
Lately I have been missing a conduction vape, saw @VapeFiend.com version for a good price and I know they will take care of the warranty.

How will you compare this vape to the CFV for example? I choosed that one to compare because is the one I use on my way work everyday and I'm searching for a vape that takes similar time to heat up but has better battery and better airflow. Do you think this one will do until the new CFV (Tera) comes?

EDIT: Forgot one of the most important things!! How easy is to deep clean? As I always said I'm a bit OCD about it and that kind of mouthpieces can be a pain in the ass. Can I just throw it in some ISO and would be fine?

StonerSloth

cui bono?
Have been reading reviews and this vape doesn't look bad (still a bit worried with the fumes)
Lately I have been missing a conduction vape, saw @VapeFiend.com version for a good price and I know they will take care of the warranty.

How will you compare this vape to the CFV for example? I choosed that one to compare because is the one I use on my way work everyday and I'm searching for a vape that takes similar time to heat up but has better battery and better airflow. Do you think this one will do until the new CFV (Tera) comes?

EDIT: Forgot one of the most important things!! How easy is to deep clean? As I always said I'm a bit OCD about it and that kind of mouthpieces can be a pain in the ass. Can I just throw it in some ISO and would be fine?

I can't compare it to a CFV because I don't have one.. I do have a CFX, but it's pretty different than the CFV.

To answer your questions:

Heat up time is incredibly fast. I haven't timed it, but I'd say it's on par with the Boundless conduction/hybrids.

The battery life is great. Depending on how long you sesh and how many times a day, it can absolutely last all day on a single charge. And you can carry an extra battery anyway.

Airflow is good as long as you keep the top screen clean. I think most of us here on FC removed the stainless screen in the mouthpiece and just use the ceramic screen up top.

The bowl is a little annoying to clean but it stays pretty clean for me. I cook my load all the way through while temp-stepping with this baby and it can keep going till your bowl is really dark and it dumps out really clean and dry. The mouthpiece is really easy to clean - I just soak in ISO and take the silicone part out after like 10 minutes or so and leave the rest in a bit longer.

It does have some of the 'negative' (?) conduction characteristics - it doesn't taste that great, you want to pack it full and use it all in one session (10-20 min,) and it can sort of stink when it's off if the MP is dirty.

But it is incredibly portable and pocket friendly and SO GOOD for sneaking into places without metal detectors!! Worth the price for sure. Get an extra mouthpiece and a few top-tier batteries and you can vape all day every day.

mrfunk

I just want to add, that I'm using the resin capsule via vapefiend at 240c, I found that I can get much better clouds by restricting the airflow, covering one side and half the other side of the vent holes with black tape... would live to know how this works on herbs?

mrfunk,

His_Highness

I just want to add, that I'm using the resin capsule via vapefiend at 240c, I found that I can get much better clouds by restricting the airflow, covering one side and half the other side of the vent holes with black tape... would live to know how this works on herbs?

It works fantastic with herb. I've seen some folks say that they are getting a good buzz with it but wished the clouds were bigger. I use it with herb starting at 390f and finish it off at 420f and I get serious milkiness.

His_Highness,

mrfunk

Sorry, I think you confused my question was if tape was added to restrict airflow which is working awesome with resin, would love it if someone did this experiment using tape with herb??

mrfunk,

His_Highness

Sorry, I think you confused my question was if tape was added to restrict airflow which is working awesome with resin, would love it if someone did this experiment using tape with herb??

Sorry .... you're right. I definitely misconstrued the question. If I had some resin I'd be happy to help.

His_Highness,

mrfunk

If you had some herbs, would be interested in the results if you covered at least one side of holes with tape ?

mrfunk,

FiFeX

I got yesterday the xmax Starry, I tried it and theres no clouds from it at all. The tempature was 210C so I guess it was warm enough, maybe I did somethong wrong? (I filled the chamber btw).

FiFeX,

StonerSloth

cui bono?
I got yesterday the xmax Starry, I tried it and theres no clouds from it at all. The tempature was 210C so I guess it was warm enough, maybe I did somethong wrong? (I filled the chamber btw).

Damn. Was the device getting hot to the touch on the outside? Was the mouthpiece hot?

If you are vaping a full bowl of ground herb at 210 C, your bowl should produce visible vapor and turn brown even if you are not pulling on it.... If you are getting no visible vapor, something is definitely wrong.........

StonerSloth,

davesmith

Glass Blower
I'm just popping in to say this won't be the temp controlled portable for me. Not the v1 anyway. The robot fart smell is too intense even after a few dozen sessions. That and keeping the top clean is a bit of a pain. Other than that it's fine just not really doing it for me. May see mine in the classifieds soon.....

StonerSloth

cui bono?
I'm just popping in to say this won't be the temp controlled portable for me. Not the v1 anyway. The robot fart smell is too intense even after a few dozen sessions. That and keeping the top clean is a bit of a pain. Other than that it's fine just not really doing it for me. May see mine in the classifieds soon.....

Check out the Fury 2. No replaceable batteries, but it checks a lot of other boxes!

His_Highness

Love how quick this vape gets down to business and hate how quickly the ceramic filter gets gunked up with reclaim. To limit the amount of herb and reclaim that gets stuck to the ceramic filter I placed a screen on the top of the oven and push it down about 1/8 of an inch away from the top of the oven. Works great but that ceramic filter still gets claimed by the reclaim.....

So....I finally just pulled the middle/ceramic filter out and continued using the screen on top of the oven. This worked as far as eliminating the clogging and seriously increased the air flow but the vapor got less cool and more harsh. I had to start sipping instead of doing a full out draw/inhale. Granted I start at 390f and maybe I should start at a lower temp but 390f always gets me excellent clouds with this vape. Guess I'm going to have to put that filter back in.

I'm sensitive to some conduction vapes and they make me cough... the MFLB is one and without the filter I can add the Starry.

If you aren't sensitive to some conduction vapes like I am you might want to just try pulling out that filter and putting a screen on the top of the oven.

The Starry isn't my daily driver but when I want a pre-filled vape on stand-by on my night stand or when heading out for the night I love being able to palm it and know it'll be hittable in under a minute. Maybe I'll buy a couple tops and rotate cleaning them.

His_Highness,
Reactions: Jill NYC

ohmygodimsohigh

I'm surprised to hear complaints of the top cap screen maintenance.

In my experience, it's one of the easiest screens to clean and maintain over time (as long as you empty/wipe at end of session)

It also helps to keep the grind at a medium, fine grinding makes everything dirty too fast and doesn't really make the vape perform any better.

His_Highness

@ohmygodimsohigh - for me it's a combination of how often I have to clean it along with the method. I use a medium grind and empty and brush after each use but find I have to give it an ISO soak, rinse it and dry it... about once every week if I use it consistently. To clean most of my other vapes I just burn off a screen, quick brush and back it goes. Sometimes I will just take a pin to the holes in the Starry filter to unclog it until I can give it a soak. Maybe I'm spoiled by my other vapes in this area.

I love the Starry for its speed to temp, size and performance so I can't help trying to work on that one minor area. What I learned from removing the filter is that the filter cools and smooths out the vapor as well as keeping debris from being sucked up so it's an important feature. The cleaning is minor at best when I consider the other areas I love about it.

His_Highness,

StonerSloth

cui bono?
In my experience, my top ceramic screen can get clogged in as few as 5 bowls, but usually more like 10. Like @His_Highness highness said - poking the holes out with something pointy can increase your time between cleanings.

Puffitup sells the replacement mouthpieces for $8.42 shipped in the US with their coupon code puffedup. I'm not sure how much cheaper they could be? I think having a second one on hand ready to go is justifiable if your Starry gets a lot of use. It's also nice to take an extra on trips/vacations.

Top Bottom