1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

X-MAX FOG

Discussion in 'Portable Vaporizers' started by sickmanfraud, Oct 22, 2017.

1. Z.Beeblebrox

Z.Beeblebrox New Member

Thanks AV and alekokokoko, I’d feared as much.

I’ve been vaping on level 3 and 4 and having a bit of a hard time getting much vapour at all even with hard draws

alekokokoko likes this.
  2. Mushroomturtle

Mushroomturtle Smokeless and alcohol-free

Ah good stuff, really good to hear.:)

alekokokoko likes this.
  3. PPN

PPN Fleurs&Vapeur

Take long and slow draws and don't pack the chamber, a loose load is better. The device extract very fast, basically I extract most of the goodies at level 2-3 in 1 cycle, I take a few more puffs at level 4-5 to kill the bowl.
    First when I got it I got the same impression than you cause I was packing the chamber too much and I wasn't taking long and slow enough hits. Since I understood better how it works I can get massive hits from a pinch. Now I'm thinking like @Abysmal Vapor , the heat settings are a bit high for herbs. Although you can protect the heater from herb's dust using a fine mesh screen in the bottom of the chamber even if there is already a screen with very small holes to protect the heater from dust. In my experience there is not so many dust going under the screen even with the dismantable 510 attys using a larger mesh screen size for the heater and since I don't need to stir the Fog's bowl and since the airflow "protect" the heater of this issue. BUT there is maybe some condensed resin accumulated between hits which is slowly burning and pollute slightly the taste...

Still like mine though!

4. Z.Beeblebrox

Z.Beeblebrox New Member

Thanks PPN, I followed your advice this morning and used a couple of small very well ground pieces, level 3 and took long and slow tokes and it worked like a charm. Still not huge vapour but I can fine tune from here to get it right I think.

There was a slight residual taste when I first started but after my 7-8th bowl it’s disappearing and I’m getting really nice tastes from it!

Was initially disappointed, but actually I think the learning curve is slightly trickier than other forums make out.

Thanks all!

5. -dab8-

-dab8- Dyna-saur

Fog is $84 at puff it up for anyone on the fence.

Jill NYC likes this.
  6. Daprezz

Daprezz Well-Known Member

I have I question : from what I read people are saying you can use it on demand like taking 2 hits, shut it off and pick it later, but can it be truly on demand when the chamber itself heats the plant with conduction ? Won't it continue to heat the plant when off if the ceramic (?) chamber keeps the heat ? For example I wouldn't call my old conduction vapes on demand even if I can turn them on and off.

7. Mushroomturtle

Yeah, as you say, it's no more on-demand than a Dynavap M for example because the oven/bowl takes a while to cool down.

Daprezz likes this.
  8. -dab8-

-dab8- Dyna-saur

I had read about the fog mouthpiece getting warm, even hot, but was unprepared for just HOW hot.

Even on level 2 or 3, I feel like I have to wait a considerable amount of time between draws to let it cool down or I will burn my lips, even at the very end of the mouthpiece.

I am using fury 2 capsules, not sure if that makes a difference.

Any advice on how to use this without getting the mouthpiece so hot? Is there a technique I’m missing?

Thanks!

P.S. any tricks to cleaning the mouthpiece? Seems like it doesn’t come off.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
    Jill NYC likes this.
  9. Mushroomturtle

Yeah, I found the same thing with the hot mouthpiece. In the box there should be a slice of clear silicone tubing which slides over just the tip of the mouthpiece, so your lips won't get hot. I only realised it came with this bit when I was emptying the packaging to dispose of it.

Jill NYC likes this.
  10. -dab8-

-dab8- Dyna-saur

Ohhhhhhh I wondered what on earth those were for. Thank you!

Jill NYC and Mushroomturtle like this.
  11. PPN

PPN Fleurs&Vapeur

Still not understand why there is so much love for the Fury/Ambit/One and not so much for this Fog... imho it hits the ticket very well: convection, micro-dosing, replacable battery and cheap. The restricted airflow is not an issue if you get concentrated hits not diluted with air. Taste is quickly cashed at level 3 and + although it's a lot better at levels 1&2.
    Since I use mine only for small loads (1/3 to 1/2) I have only to run it through one cycle at level 3 for the best efficiency in the shorter amount of time, the mp doesn't reminds incomfortably hot for me.

is the Fury2 capsules wide enough to cover all the bowl area? if not I think your vapor production might not be good. I have 2 Fog's , I cutted out the lid on one unit and use a 14mm glass ground mp inserted directly in like @Abysmal Vapor found, I use this one mainly with water tools, inverted, so no need to use a capsule to keep the heater free of any debris. The other one is in its original shape and I use a HipVap (an old discontinued conduction vaporizer) capsule in which is wide enough and fits perfectly the Fog's bowl, I don't use the silicone lid included with this capsules but a screen, I put my load and press it down with the screen to make a puck which covers equally all the bottom of the capsule to catch the hot air. This unit reminds to stay perfectly clean, for now I can't see any difference in color in the bowl since I unboxed this Fog.
    I don't feel any difference in taste between this 2 units.

It's not a perfect vape for sure, a slightly better airflow and a better insulation between the bowl and the heater to avoid the inevitable heat transfer (which is not bad to shortened the session but not really to sip for long) but I still think about it like one of the best cheap vape available for now... imho!

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors