Would you vape cannabis with no effect?

Cosmic Dude

My local dispensary has a strain that is not even among Leafly's 2600 strains, so I searched the web and came up with a page that had several reviewers try it.

The reviews went on about the colors and smells of the buds, and then quite a lot about the flavors. And maybe about three or four words about the effect, certainly not enough to distinguish it from any other cannabis.

But the whole point of cannabis - I thought - was the effect.

When you buy a $200 bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon wine, it will have the same effect as $2 Charles Shaw Cabernet Sauvignon. Only the flavors and smells will be different. This is generally true for alcohol.

But every strain of cannabis has a different effect, and some have wildly different effects. As a result, reviews are important to give an idea of what to expect (especially since you've wasted $50 if you don't like the effect).

But the massive emphasis on flavor (including in this Forum), would seem to indicate that people are really inhaling for the diesel or mango flavors.

So, would you buy and inhale "the best tasting cannabis ever" if it had no effect (zero THC and zero CBD)?

mephisto

The effect is the reward, the flavors and nuances allow variety to prevent the habit/ritual from becoming stale. To answer your question from a different angle, would you pleasure yourself to zero climax?
Mother Nature offers so many more choices than diesel or mango. Find a strain YOU like and fuck what the reviews say. Reviews feel like the old days of black market mj purchases. Like asking your dealer if the Mexican brickweed is any good. Is he really gonna tell you that it tastes like ass and won't get you high.
+1 for the 2 buck Chuck reference....

shredder

My local dispensary has a strain that is not even among Leafly's 2600 strains, so I searched the web and came up with a page that had several reviewers try it.

The reviews went on about the colors and smells of the buds, and then quite a lot about the flavors. And maybe about three or four words about the effect, certainly not enough to distinguish it from any other cannabis.

But the whole point of cannabis - I thought - was the effect.

When you buy a $200 bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon wine, it will have the same effect as $2 Charles Shaw Cabernet Sauvignon. Only the flavors and smells will be different. This is generally true for alcohol.

But every strain of cannabis has a different effect, and some have wildly different effects. As a result, reviews are important to give an idea of what to expect (especially since you've wasted $50 if you don't like the effect).

But the massive emphasis on flavor (including in this Forum), would seem to indicate that people are really inhaling for the diesel or mango flavors.

So, would you buy and inhale "the best tasting cannabis ever" if it had no effect (zero THC and zero CBD)?

I'm all for taste reviews, since that is a good indication of the terpenes. Ten years go most people never heard about terpenes, now we can buy particular herbs that have terpenes we like. I think that is a good thing. I think we've actually come a long way.

As to the effects, we're all different, so we have different reactions to vaping a certain strain. Any review is just one persons thoughts, so feel free to differ. I think you can have a medical reaction without feeling a buzz type effect. Maybe this isn't for everyone, but who is it to say that's not valid? I'm just glad we have choices.

Skunkport

M

Yes. In fact I was just thinking this exact thing yesterday. I loaded up my vapcap, took 2 nice big tasty hits and mmmm so good. Then I went and made a coffee, came back, loaded up again but boom..the cap I just had hit me and I was at a nice level and wanted to stay there, but I'd really enjoyed that taste and I wanted to vape some more but not get higher.

-dab8-

Dyna-saur
I’m not sure I would spend MUCH on just flavor alone, but I would definitely spend something.

I’m a flavor chaser. There have definitely been times I wished I could vape a little more, but I was already medicated enough that I knew it wasn’t a good idea.

Last edited:

Cosmic Dude

I just talked to someone who has been involved with cannabis for many decades, and they said that the idea of even noticing the flavor of cannabis, first became prevalent in the 90's. I'm wondering if that was an innovation of the first dispensaries - rows of different cannabis strains in jars - and - you have to talk about them. And there wasn't any variety of strains until the 90's, and the heyday of indoor growing.

Last edited:

Gray Area

A lot of it certainly is about flavour for me.
My answer to your question is no... but only because there are strains that do have good effects and taste great too I guess. Not sure if that wasn't the case tbh.

I know for sure I wouldn't bother vaping the strongest strain of it tasted shit or of nothing.

I'm with @abracadaver on this one effect is the overall goal and absolutely needs to be there and a given, but for me flavour is just as important, and the variation keeps everything fun.
Effect is subjective so I think it would be better to just give a straight up % of cannabiniods then talk about taste from there.

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
I love the unique differences in flavor. One of the things I always tell my combustion-only friends is that vaporizing is sooooo much tastier...Then, after you haven't smoked it for a while, you start noticing more and more differing subtle flavors between different strains.

They all get you high. Some more of a heady and energetic high, and some a more full-body, couch-locking high...but they all get you high.
I'm going to get high either way, because that's the point...but I really LOVE all the flavors, and am always looking for new flavors, as well as the classics.

Maybe it's just that many of us directly connect the flavors with the different kinds of high?

Sick Vape

Solar Dabs
What is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aromatherapy ?
(edit: Bad article. No one could prove it does not work, the studies are flawed too. Smells do trigger emotions.)
They are talking about terpenoids and such.

I would try it.

But you can get pure cannabis terpenes, if you can spend the money, and try already. No need to wait for that strain.
I would love to test these terpenes.
Steam distilled cannabis terpenes do not smell as expected.

Last edited:
Sick Vape,

Cosmic Dude

Although I have personally never had a professionally made "edible" from a dispensary, nevertheless from the packaging, it seems clear that they are trying to achieve cannabis effect without cannabis flavor (as opposed to "double chocolate truffle with extra cream" flavor). So, it seems that the edible format (let alone the capsules) indicates that flavor is not an essential part of the cannabis experience.

started@52

Good Flavor is a bonus as I don’t care for most. Pain relief and effects are number 1 and 2(not always in that order) is why I vape it. If I don’t like the flavor I just want to get the vaping over as fast as I can.

started@52,
Reactions: OMEiAM

Sick Vape

Solar Dabs
Edit: If there was really absolutely no effect aside taste I would not try it.
I just believe some effects I look for are linked to the terpenes.

Aside from the couple of places where weed is legal, the smell is one of the indicators of the quality and freshness of the product. It is often also one of the few indicator of what effect you could get. So your brain links these things.
I do not know if the different effects really come from different smells. Researchers like Dr.Russo suggest it could be the terpenes.
I do not know edibles well because I cannot dose accurately easily and most had after effects the next day I did not like.
And I do not like to see the little weed i have disappear in one go in a recipe, where at the end all that comes out is maybe a sleep with a hangover.

Of course i don't give a shit too about the taste if the right effect is there. I'll even eat it as a pill. Or inhale like an asthma spray. But until I come across something that works and no flavour, i'll let my nose do the raw sifting.

I like the effect of pure CBD too sometimes. No flavour in this one. But more expensive than with flavour.

Last edited:

Baron23

Absolutely NOT. I often wonder at people who self-identify as "flavor chasers".

To me, it would be like doing near cocaine...who would want that.

I'm in it for effects. Nice flavor is a bonus and more preferable to not nice flavor, but effects trumps all.

Skunkport

'Near cocaine'?
I don't understand how you think enjoying flavor over effect could possibly resemble coke use if that's what you mean, I'm no expert on it but I think cocaine is all effect.

I'd compare it to alcohol if you want a comparison.

Most people drink decent tasting beverages primarily to get drunk.

Some will drink any awful tasting crap purely to get drunk.

Some like to savour the taste and enjoy the whole experience.

Madri-Gal

Child Of The Revolution
I don't think I would vape just for flavor. Not because I wouldn't under any circumstances, but because I would have to buy it, or grow it. If I buy it, it's that much less money for my meds, and 30% tax. If I grow it, I have to trust the seed company or nursery to be accurate about how delicious it all is, without compensatory terpines if my plant is different in any way. Also means I would have to give space to a plant that isn't medicinal, and that's a lot just for flavor, in terms of meds I'm not growing.
If someone gave or traded me, I would do it. Why not? I love delicious weed. I wouldn't do it for long, but I would enjoy "The best cannabis ever" if I had some.
Eating weed tastes different than the taste you get from vaping, IMO. When I buy a cookie, I want it to taste like a cookie, not a plant. I have started water curing bud, trim and ABV so I can cook with little to no flavor, but if I'm using bud for edibles, it's because I don't like the flavor anyway, else I'd vape it.
Flavor matters to me, but I prefer it to be part of the entire experience. I prefer low heat for this reason. I try to avoid weed I don't like the flavor of, and two of the types I grew this year don't taste good to me. Those I will give away. They are fine otherwise, but the smell/flavor aren't pleasant.
What I think happens with the reviews is, people need something to say. They are often written, or notes taken while using. Flavor and smell are obvious and fairly easy to talk about. It's not that these qualities are the most important. Most of the reviews I've read do talk about both. I write reviews ( various products, including weed), and you want to get the senses involved. There isn't much to say about how it sounds. Usually you put up pictures, and talk about what you see, then there are smells, flavors and effects. This is usually done in the order you encounter the experience , that is you see, smell, taste then feel ( speaking of effects, not tactile). Skip to the end of reviews if you only want to hear how it "performs". If you feel you aren't reading a quality review, keep searching for reviewers you like. If a product you want/have isn't well reviewed, review it. You know what you want in a review, and I'd look forward to reading it. Show us how it's done.
There are many strains that offer both delicious flavor and desired and potent effects. I want both, and for the most part get both. But why would I vape something I don't enjoy the taste of, if there is a choice? Just as why would I vape weed that tastes bad? It's medicine, yes, but it's not cod liver oil.
I agree with @Skunkport. About the "whole experience" with the wine. If I am drinking a $200 Cab, I am having a different experience than drinking 2 buck Chuck. It's not even close.

Last edited:

Vital

I think vaping made flavors more noticeable. For the first time the taste was the same as the smell. I used to say that even if it had no effect I would probably still vape because I love the taste. Just my :2c:.

ClearBlueLou

unbearably light in the being....
Interesting question, absolutely no effect AT ALL, I’d have no interest beyond the aroma (bouquet?).
If it remained intact as medicine with no psychoenergetic effect, I would eat it, not smoke it.

This isn’t not ‘cause I’m indifferent to flavor, but because compared to even bad weed today, what we used to get was frequently rank: stale at best, moldy-smelling, typically harsh - Weed was judged by where it got you and how long you stayed there, not by the antique pleasure of inhaling smoke

Last edited:

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
Interesting question, absolutely no effect AT ALL, I’d have no interest beyond the aroma (bouquet?).
If it remained intact as medicine with no psychoenergetic effect, I would eat it, not smoke it.

This isn’t not ‘cause I’m indifferent to flavor, but because compared to even bad weed today, what we used to get was frequently rank: stale at best, moldy-smelling, typically harsh - Weed was judged by where it got you and how long you stayed there, not by the antique pleasure of inhaling smoke

Indeed. As much as I love the flavor that's available today...

I use cannabis to get high.
The rest is just a bonus.

Top Bottom