Worried? You should be!

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
The government says cannabis is a evil drug with no useful properties, and has not been properly researched. Well, you think the legal medications are scrutinized thoroughly? Think again. Every patient is a guinea pig! It's all about the money, NOT about your health.

http://blogs.psychcentral.com/depre...idely/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Worried? Quality of evidence FDA uses to approve medications varies widely

According to a press release advancing the article, Wide Variation Found in Quality of Evidence Used By FDA For Approval of New Drugs:

“Many patients and physicians assume that the safety and effectiveness of newly approved therapeutic agents is well understood; however, the strength of the clinical trial evidence supporting approval decisions by the U.S. FDA has not been evaluated.”

As someone who has been on not one, not two but a cocktail of three medications – two anti-depressants and a mood stabilizer – for more than seven years I am one of those persons who assumed that the safety and effectiveness of the drugs I take were established by the gold standard for evaluation: the randomized, double-blind study.

Apparently not. Dr. Joseph Ross and Nicholas Downing from the Yale University School of Medicine examined every FDA drug approval from 2005-2012. Their study included how many clinical trials were submitted to support the approval, how long the trials lasted, how many patients were studied and the outcomes used to define the drug’s effects and safety.

I understand there must be some flexibility in the approval process, especially for promising drugs that treat life-threatening illnesses for which there are no therapeutic alternatives or rare illnesses.

The majority of drugs they looked at came on the market after high-quality clinical trials. However, “A third of new drugs are approved on the basis of a single trial. It may have been a big trial or it may have been a very small trial,” according to Dr. Ross.

Okay, perhaps that’s appropriate for that particular drug. Here’s what I am not okay with:

• Less than half of drugs are compared to an existing alternative that’s available on the market today at the time of approval.
  • Fewer than half the drugs specified for long-term use are studied for more than six-months.
The way I see it, drug companies really like long-term use drugs, such as the medications I am on. I have already refilled those prescriptions dozens of times and will likely do so countless more times before I either die or no longer need them.

Folks like me – on medications for a very long time – are the gravy train for drug companies. The last thing these drug companies want is the government to force them to continue costly research on long-term use medications for years – or even decades – especially after the drugs’ patents expire.

What has me even more concerned is the summary of an accompanying editorial in the same issue of the journal in which the authors, Steven N. Goodman, M.D., M.H.S., Ph.D., of Stanford University, Stanford, Calif., and Rita F. Redberg, M.D., M.Sc., of the University of California, San Francisco, and Editor, JAMA Internal Medicine, comment on three studies in this issue, including the study of Dr. Ross and Dr. Downing, that examine the FDA approval process.

“Although these reports represent important steps in improving understanding of FDA decision making, further commitment to and progress toward ensuring transparency, including reducing report redactions, is needed to help the scientific community and other interested parties answer the questions these studies raise, thereby helping the FDA in its mission to find the right balance between allowing innovation and protecting the public’s health.”

The question now is, will the FDA take any action in response to the studies?

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
I had been on Ibuprofen for years for arthritis then I was on a prescription anti-inflammatory, well guess what, they weakened my kidneys now I cannot take any anti-inflammatories.

I don't want to take pain meds like Percocet, and cannabis helps with my pain, something natural that can be grown in the ground. Something that makes my life bearable. Cannabis is labeled in the same class as heroin by the Fed Gov.

I'm thankful I live in Washington state but I feel like without the Feds approval on all this I still don't feel at ease and think the freedom could be taken away on a whim by the Republican Party if a new president is in office in 3 years.

I am thankful for all the voters that voted for legal cannabis in WA state. I have not experienced buying cannabis in a store yet in my lifetime. I am not a medical cannabis patient because my health provider does not believe in this. I did not want to be on any list, call me paranoid. Us stoners are like that right? I have been buying cannabis for some 20+ years from a dear and trusted friend.

Feds need to make cannabis legal.

C No Ego

^ exactly.

US - we need cannabis

THE GOV - cannabis is bad

US - WE need cannabis testing to prove it is not bad

THE GOV- no testing because it is bad

US - Prove to us it is bad, millions disagree

THE GOV- It is because we say it is, reefer madness proved it, you die if you are in a cannabis smoke filled balloon for days with no fresh oxygen introduced to smoke balloon, so cannabis smoke is bad.

US- we know smoke is bad, fresh air is good and needed to keep us living.

THE GOV - we are talking about cannabis here not AIR, there is a difference in the two. If cannabis is let loose everyone will be in smoke balloons and we will all die in a matter of days, cannabis is bad.

US- ever hear of vaping?????

C No Ego,
Top Bottom