Wooden mouthpiece care

aoaiwof

I have a walnut stem for my iHeat, and a maple MFLB, but I am concerned that saliva will damage the wood. How can I best look after a wooden mouthpiece? Is there a cleaning thing I should do, or maybe a stain or oil that would be safe for the high temperature of a vape stream and for oral contact?

Vapeur Rogue

Est. 2013- Never Lookin' Back
I have a walnut stem for my iHeat, and a maple MFLB, but I am concerned that saliva will damage the wood. How can I best look after a wooden mouthpiece? Is there a cleaning thing I should do, or maybe a stain or oil that would be safe for the high temperature of a vape stream and for oral contact?

I use the same food grade beeswax blend to maintain my wood vapes and any wood stems- I looked up a recipe for beeswax + mineral oil added (a vid on youtube) and replaced the mineral oil with hemp oil (after a bit of further reading on using hemp oil as a sealant/protectant as well- but as long as you use a food grade blend, (and there are food grade waxes with min. oil) That would be safe enough.

Several vape sellers- Underdog, Ed's TnT, Sticky Brick, Dynavap come to mind-
Offer their wood wax blends on their sites- you can find Tons on Etsy- or like some of us here, blend your own.

BTW: Food Grade mineral oil blends are often used on wooden cutting boards-
I got my Hemp oil and carnauba wax (which I decided against adding due to wanting to avoid the shine) on etsy.

Last edited:

Vapeur Rogue

Est. 2013- Never Lookin' Back
Forgot- Vapor Genie also have their finishing wax for sale.

@KidFated. Is right in that coconut oil, and olive oil turn. Hemp oil takes a bit longer to cure, (and a lot longer then Tung both on its own or blended with beeswax, with or without carnauba. Carnauba gives shine, but it and hemp give a hardness/durability in their cure that using beeswax alone does not offer. With my unfinished FW5 I started with a couple coats of hemp oil alone prior to using several of my homemade wax. I considered doing same with my Lithe, but realized I had enough oil built up on my buffing cloth I did not need to apply more directly. Here is one of the sites I used in making my decisions about what direction to go for my recipe. (I used 5-6 sites plus several vids on youtube in my research.)
http://www.robin-wood.co.uk/wood-craft-blog/2009/12/14/what-is-the-best-oil-for-treating-wood/

and here is one of the more comprehensive vids on making wood wax- I used mostly his directions for blending- but just subbed Hemp Oil instead of turpentine.

below is the general search I used on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=making+beeswax+wood+wax

Last edited:

SloJimFizz

Unknown Member
So those are good for the visible areas, part of care has to address the inner walls of wood stems and the build up there. Can't see it like on glass, but it's accumulating just the same.
I know iso is mostly a no no on wood, but I learned here that a lot of people use acetone for cleaning wood, like in the vapman thread. So i q-tip swab the inner walls with acetone and let it evaporate away. I don't collect reclaim, so it's not a waste for me to just swab and chuck.
How else are you all cleaning your wood piece innards?

Top Bottom