women's march

crawdad

floatin
its reassuring to see so many people make an attempt to be heard on issues that matter on a basic human level. thank you to those who articulated their concerns in a peaceful manner, if there was a thank you !!! thread id post it there.

CuckFumbustion

Lo and Behold! The transformative power of Vapor.
Dry question. How many peaceful attendants at DC compared to the Inauguration? No exaggerated figures. plz ? I can exaggerate my own figures. If you don't mind.:lol:

Madonna has a right to free speech and assembly like anyone else regardless of her performances. She has every right to protest if she feels that she sees something that she feels as unjust like anyone else
True. Just don't like the feeling that she is taking the spotlight away from others who might be better suited to unite. :D As for myself, I don't need a celebrity to shock me and get my attention about women's issues. She isn't exactly going to change anybody's mind on the subject. IMHO.

Treating others as if they are reasonable 1st, then allowing to further the dialog. 2nd. WIN WIN game.

I confess, I purposely avoided anything Madonna (and other celebs that rely on shock value) have to say with a 10 foot barge pole. Maybe it helps politicize her fan base, I guess. It also contributes to raising the threshold of what is is needed to shock us into getting said attention. I don't want an escalation in that, when civility will bring the answers much sooner. :2c:

The idea (for some) to protest is to get some sort of message across in some manner. Raising the shock value to seek attention does not help the further messages that needs to be addressed.

The people who pooled together and organized bus rides for others to be able to protest, deserve more mention and perhaps credit if you agree with the movement.

There were some regular family's the herded there. A lot of people were able to express there feelings with protest signs. I saw in a Seth Meyer's clip. One young kid help up an "I like truck's" sign. He gets it. :nod:
:peace:

Last edited:

HellsWindStaff

Dharma Initiate
Madonna was just many celebrities and lawmakers that spoke at the March last Saturday. Madonna has a right to free speech and assembly like anyone else regardless of her performances. She has every right to protest if she feels that she sees something that she feels as unjust like anyone else. A protestute would have every right to protest, wouldn't you think? They are a person like anyone else. I sure don't agree with some of Madonna's bizarre speech that she gave. I suppose Trump will have the secret service investigating her.:lol:

She has a right to protest, but her voice would have more of an impact if she did not sexualize herself in her performances and directly add to the objectification of women by reinforcing themselves as a sex symbol. So yes, free speech, but actions speak louder than words imo.

Blowing up the White House isn't funny, and she got a pretty big pass on that. If Jon Voight said that when Obama was in office, he'd be dragged through the streets by media..

This was a March that included many cross sections of society. I don't know much about the pro life folks that were left out. I just watched this on TV like many of you. The Pro Life folks should be pretty happy about a Trump presidency and a Sessions Attorney General and not to mention a conservative member on the Supreme Court. That's the cherry on top for them. It looks like smooth sailing. They won't have much to be unhappy about.

But it was billed as The Women's March...Organized as a march for women. While I feel that the "pussy grabbing" tape is kind of a non story, there were many pro life women who felt disgusted by his comments. (as vulgar as they are, his words literally imply consent so it's not sexual assault no matter how you cut it, but I don't begrudge anyone for being offended) So because they are pro life, they shouldn't be allowed to march for women?

Pro Life does not = Anti Choice. And Pro Choice does not = Anti Life. But when one group tries to silence the other.......

@lwien Planned Parenthood is not a right. Women have the right to chose. It's going to stay that way, that right isn't being taken away.....do you have another right of women he's taking away?

Tomorrow, the annual March for Life will be marching. Thousands and thousands of women will be marching. It happens every year. It gets no media play. The media played the march last week because it's an Anti Trump march/Pro Choice March/Liberal March, not a "March for Women" (it was that, but at its core it was the former IMO) because tomorrow there will be a big March for Women who are Pro Life and it won't get play (it hasn't for years would be shocked if they did now)

Good thoughtful comments all around, I appreciate the perspectives

lwien

@lwien Planned Parenthood is not a right. Women have the right to chose.

That's true, but let me ask you this. Do you feel that it is a woman's right to have an abortion? The answer to that was my intent in stating that women feel threatened when the government is planning on pulling it's support for Planned Parenthood, but it's not just abortions here. It's also the health screenings (std's, cancer, etc etc) and birth control issues that are at stake here as well. If Planned Parenthood has to close many of their locations due to lack of funding, there's going to be a LOT of women left out in the cold in regards to these issues and that scares the shit out of many of them.

CuckFumbustion

Good thoughtful comments all around, I appreciate the perspectives
Same here.:nod: My perspective needed a little refining anyway. :haw:
Pro Life does not = Anti Choice. And Pro Choice does not = Anti Life. But when one group tries to silence the other.......
umm ....the dialog comes to a screeching halt? If we all agree that there are several perspectives/ways to look on a topic AND that the entire population will not agree on one decision collectively, much less two, then we can aim our sights for a more pragmatic solution. Then we will be more suited for the next challenge to come along.
Tomorrow, the annual March for Life will be marching.
You already was waiting for the other shoe to drop. :lol:
Not sure if 'the media' has the attention span you give them credit for. :hmm: I don't believe there is as much of a central power or influence in 'the media'. And more discussion in 'the media' is about people getting their news from their own trough. Dog chasing it's own tail kind of stories. (Although, I always suspected that CNN was in cahoots with Trump early in the primaries. :tinfoil: Now Trump draws attention to them on his twit phone. :tinfoil::tinfoil:)

CuckFumbustion,

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
Planned Parenthood, allies ready for battle over government funding - USA Today
USA Today › news › politics › 2017/01/17
Jan 17, 2017 - While Planned Parenthood does perform abortions, the government funds are not allowed to be used to pay for them except in cases of rape or incest or when a woman's life is in danger.

When I was in high school and college that's where my friends and I would get birth control and a checkup so we would qualify to even get birth control. We didn't want to go through our family doctors for obvious reasons. I think it is over blown the part that Planned Parenthood plays in abortions. Yes they do that too thank goodness they do because it is getting more difficult to get them. Some of you might remember what it was like back in the day.

If we hadn't had the Planned Parenthood Clinic some of us would have become pregnant. We needed birth contriol and Planned Parenthood is there for a lot of people it's not just for abortions.

They were there during the AIDS epidemic and played a big part in prevention of the AIDS virus and other STDs.

I know a lot of folks don't want their tax dollars paying for planned parenthood. I don't want my tax dollars paying for this ridiculous huuuuge wall. The amount of the wall is astronomical. Many of the illegal citizen are coming from more places other than Mexico. Many countries in South America and elsewhere.

Last edited:

CuckFumbustion

The answer to that was my intent in stating that women feel threatened when the government is planning on pulling it's support for Planned Parenthood, but it's not just abortions here. It's also the health screenings (std's, cancer, etc etc) and birth control issues that are at stake here as well.
Planned Parenthood is a nonprofit entity. Which is perhaps why it works as well. as it does. Sorry, Couldn't help myself there.

I haven't forgot the twisted legal wranglings over controlling how Doctors had to dissuade their patients, to suit some legislators during Bush's term. Even though Professional Doctors already prevent/reduce abortions through their consulting services by well umm ... consulting their patients.
We didn't want to go through our family doctors for obvious reasons. I think it is over blown the part that Planned Parenthood play in abortions. Yes they do that too thank goodness they do because it is getting more difficult to get them. Some of you might remember what it was like back in the day.
Yea, placing more barriers doesn't address the problem, much less the sources of the problem. Doctors do mention things like abstinence and then prevention second. That advice needs to get out. Why place a barrier between that? How is that effective for prevention? :hmm:

Edit- Just caught myself a little. :uhh:I don't wish to derail this thread. Which is about the women's march. Great topic. BTW.
Carry on. :sherlock:

Last edited:
CuckFumbustion,

Tranquility

Is there agreement here or no to the proposition:

The State has an important and legitimate interest in preserving and protecting the health of a pregnant woman and that it has still another important and legitimate interest in protecting the potentiality of human life. These interests are separate and distinct. Each grows in substantiality as the woman approaches term and, at a point during pregnancy, each becomes "compelling."

Silat

When the Facts Change, I Change My Mind.
@lwien Planned Parenthood is not a right. Women have the right to chose. It's going to stay that way, that right isn't being taken away.....do you have another right of women he's taking away?

When they are closing and trying to close any clinic that provides access then that is taking away the ability to use your right.

BD9

Madonna has to try to be hip and cool. Cyndi Lauper is hip and cool. :nod: :bowdown:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...riticizes-Madonna-s-Women-s-March-speecH.html

'I don't think it served our purpose': Cyndi Lauper criticizes Madonna's Women's March speech

'I was glad that she went,' Lauper said. 'I think it happens a lot when you are really jacked up, feeling your emotions. I don't think it served our purpose because anger is not better than clarity and humanity.'
Lauper praised Scarlett Johansson, 32, for her personal speech about using Planned Parenthood services as a teen.
'She shared her story. It was clear and it was eloquent. Yelling doesn't. It just jacks people up but it doesn't communicate any type of humanity or any kind of story that would open another person's mind,' Lauper said.

Madonna has defended her speech that included four F-bombs and said her words were 'taken wildly out of context'.

CuckFumbustion

'She shared her story. It was clear and it was eloquent. Yelling doesn't. It just jacks people up but it doesn't communicate any type of humanity or any kind of story that would open another person's mind,' Lauper said.
Here Here. :clap:Cyndi Lauper was also clear and eloquent where I couldn't quite get that out.

There was also some clever protest signs. (Not just slogans.) Regardless of you political leanings.
31 of the Most Creative Protest Signs From the Global Women’s March
womens-march-sign-28.jpg

Last edited:
CuckFumbustion,
Reactions: BD9
Top Bottom