women's march

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
I watched it on TV and am very much in support of peaceful protests. I support most of their agenda. There were many different issues and a lot of emotion. I feel apprehensive and share that same worry about the next four years.

I'm not sure if folks can handle this type of thread around here though especially if it gets too political. There have been several threads shut down do to too much emotion and anger.

They had a huge response in many large cities. Seattle had a great gathering and had a very successful peaceful protest.

Madonna was speaking and CNN couldn't get her off soon enough before she said Fuck You twice on live television. It was great!

Edit
Love that below @lwien

Last edited:

lwien

My sister sent me this pic yesterday....Gave me a chuckle....(just a bit-o levity)
UbSx4PU.jpg

Last edited:

little maggie

The police in many of the cities the march was held congratulated the marchers for such a peaceful demonstration. Hopefully this thread can be peaceful and not stir up hostility. Otherwise I think it is contrary to the feeling of the march and should be removed.

Last edited:
I'm a very fortunate, educated, employed (with benefits!!) white male. I will probably do 'better' financially under this administration. That does not mean that I do not support, fight for and believe in the greater good. There are folks who will lose healthcare without the ACA. There are folks who were relying on that FHA mortgage reduction. I'm not even a registered Democrat and I still fully believe that the 'good' I may receive as a result of this administration's policies will come at too dear a cost to my fellow man (and I say that inclusive of all human beings of all genders).

MinnBobber

Picture from "sister support march" held in Amsterdam. IMO, Amsterdam has always been supportive of women's rights and shown tolerance towards diverse individuals, groups, and ideas.

I'm not at all a fan of big cities but I'd love to move to Amsterdam for a year or two---

16105950_10154547744138445_7220573951521969709_n.jpg

little maggie

Picture from "sister support march" held in Amsterdam. IMO, Amsterdam has always been supportive of women's rights and shown tolerance towards diverse individuals, groups, and ideas.

I'm not at all a fan of big cities but I'd love to move to Amsterdam for a year or two---

16105950_10154547744138445_7220573951521969709_n.jpg
There have been marches all over the world. But beware of moving to Amsterdam for a few years. I had several friends move to the Hague because there are a lot of jobs for English speakers there. They stayed 2 years and then moved back to Portland. At the end of a few months they were back in the Hague. They just couldnt adjust to life back in this country.

HellsWindStaff

Dharma Initiate
The police in many of the cities the march was held congratulated the marchers for such a peaceful demonstration. Hopefully this thread can be peaceful and not stir up hostility. Otherwise I think it is contrary to the feeling of the march and should be removed.

Yesterday was a prime example of how to protest correctly, cool seeing such solidarity. I don't really understand the point of it because I don't believe there is a "war" on women (this isn't an invitation to convince me that's for another thread), but hey if they want to protest peacefully no skin of my bones

CarolKing

This wasn't necessarily a symbol for a war on women. We want our new president to hear that we are not going to be quiet. Many different groups were included during the March. I think plenty of folks are angry and feel not included in our president's new America.. They worry that many of our rights could be taken away. Our new president said he would do that.

I liked the idea of the pink pussy (cat) hats. The issue of how he said that he can grab a women's pussy and he can get away with it doesn't sit well with many people, men and women.

People are angry and disappointed as to what they've been hearing for the last two years from someone that will be our country's leader. I admit I've lost some nights sleep over all this.

I think we are going to see days like we did during the riots of the Vietnam Nam war and the race riots of the 1960's. Folks feel that with his ideas it takes the country back by 40 or 50 years.

I'm worried about some our elderly Supreme Court justices. Ruth Bader Ginsberg looks pretty delicate and fragile these days.

I'm trying to be respectful in my post and stay on message because we don't want to step over the line. I needed to edit a bit.

Last edited:

HellsWindStaff

Dharma Initiate
This wasn't necessarily a symbol for a war on women. We want our new president to hear that we are not going to be quiet. Many different groups were included during the March. I think plenty of folks are angry and feel not included in our president's new America.. They worry that many of our rights could be taken away. Our new president said he would do that.

I found your post respectful. A few things on my mind though regarding the march and your post and maybe you (and anyone else) can help shed some light to me? I too am trying to be respectful and am simply trying to understand the PoV.

>They worry that many of our rights could be taken away. Our new president said he would do that.

What rights did he say he'd take away?

>Many different groups were included during the March.

I agree and that bears the question to me, was this really a march about feminism or was it a march about being against Trump? I feel the latter to be more in line with what it was. Which, by and large they were peaceful so I don't care. (I did see 1 video of violence)

There are a few reasons I feel this way:

1. Feminist Groups who were Pro Life were uninvited and not welcome to attend by the organizers of the event. Which begs to question how they can claim to speak for women and preach inclusiveness when they actively excluded a whole group of self described feminists. I feel if it was truly for femininity, they would allow these women to march with them.

2. I've seen a lot of talk about how this was against the oppression of women. But, are women oppressed? And is it taboo for me as a man to comment on it? (if it is, that bears another question) Women in America can be single, independent, can initiate a divorce, can work variety of jobs, have the ability to vote, to attend secondary education, etc. By all accounts, men and women have the same rights......and regardless of your stance regarding abortion, women have arguably more rights than men regarding the fetus that is half of a man. In that sense, being that we have the same rights across the board other than that one, they actually have more rights.

3. Similarly, making that march about the oppression of American women kills the point a bit if that is indeed the case, since they know nothing of oppression compared to women who are forced to marry, forced circumcision, etc. if it was for them, why did the march have to be once Trump won?

4. In conjunction with that, and I'll have an article below that also spoke on this, but one of the founders of this women's march believes Sharia Law is "reasonable and once you read into the details it makes a lot of sense" (her words not mine)......:huh: So she finds the religion that actively oppresses women to be reasonable....? But is terrified of Trump? This doesn't add up and makes little sense to me if you are truly a feminist I don't understand how she could condone a religion that does everything a feminist should be standing up against.

5. Then I thought to myself, maybe the women at the march actually mean objectification. Which is actually a cause I agree with. But oppression does not equal objectification. And if objectification was what they were combating against, I would find it strange that they would have Madonna and other women performers who actively promote the objectification of women based on their "art".

article-1049989-0266A44B00000578-890_468x366.jpg

article-2409931-1B7671DE000005DC-4_634x758.jpg

o-MADONNA-570.jpg

If the cause is "objectification" than those celebrities need to take a deep inward look at how they portray themselves and reconsider the idea that it is "cool" to objectify one's self. That message is muddied if it's indeed the message

6. Finally the timing. If women truly feel they are oppressed or objectified or whatever the case, why was this necessary to do the day after the inauguration? If it was truly an important cause, why did it have to wait until he beat HC? Shouldn't they want this issue out in the open? Are they just now "oppressed" because of Trump? I don't think they would of had this march of women if Trump didn't win, and if these issues are so pervase in our culture to March for them, it seems strange to me that would be the case.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na...n-s-march-came-into-1484865755-htmlstory.html

"It all started on what, for Teresa Shook, was an unsettling night. It was Nov. 8 and Donald Trump had just won the presidency."

If truly an issue, why was the crux of it Trump winning?

All of this points to this being more about "anti Trump" than "pro feminist" when you take all of this into consideration IMO. And I want to reiterate again, they did so peacefully so by all means I'm glad they were able to exercise their rights. But I was having a hard time trying to piece together the overall point of it all through the eyes of a "feminist march".

This is the news article I referenced earlier:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/op...s/news-story/d3019d5bf5ed3789b5228097eee65ae5

This is a pretty good article that touched on some of this, and if for some reason you read a lot of Herald Sun without a subscription simply clear your cookies and cache and you'll be able to read it.

Again, this is mean to fuel discussion and isn't meant as an attack or insult or anything like that. Simply have been trying to wrap my head around the overall point of it and these are my thoughts. Through differing thoughts we can gain knowledge.

Sorry for such a long post too :lol: I have been chipping away at this but I wanted to fully articulate myself and take the time to make sure it does not seem like a hit/slam piece because that isn't the intent at all.

TLDR: Was the Women's March more anti Trump than pro women?

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Yes. It's so silly people actually believe the president runs and oversees the country and no one is pulling his strings. You must be oblivious to what you can accomplish with a little money (the entire United States is a loan, your taxes go straight to the Queen.) They're just actors, and in Trumps case, literally. Just more divide and conquer to get us to debate over parties instead of focusing the blame on the real problem, the gov as a whole. Democrat vs Republican? Can't you see theyre both fucked. Democrats are the worst though, how they pretend to be for the working class. Do you know how much money it takes to run a presidential campaign? Do you know anyone in the working class that could afford such a race? Wake up, it's the 1% vs everyone. And Trumpet won't kill the middle class, it has BEEN dead.

invertedisdead,

CarolKing

I think folks men and women are playing back many of the news and things we've heard Trump say and talked about over the last two years. The reason they were wearing the pink cat hats was because many people don't believe a man like that should be our president of the United States. Grabbing a women's (pussy)private parts and bragging about it is unacceptable to me and many others. Then saying he can get away with it because he is rich.

For some reason Mr Trump was able to get away with more than the regular person. More than any other candidate in recent history. . He had a large group that voted for him. He was able to convince millions of people that he would drain the swamp and build a huge wall. I'm worried about some of the people he is putting into really important jobs. I'm not sure if they will know what they are doing. Let a lone our president.

When I mean rights I'm talking about abortion which has been a right since that 1970s. Also I worry about my Hispanic friends that have been having a difficult time getting their citizenship. I worry about being about to get medical insurance for my son who is homeless and drug addicted. I also have been thinking about the stop and frisk law, that sounds scarey if I'm a person of color or I have a headdress on.

Mr Trump hasn't put in a variety of different folks into his cabinet such as more minorities, plus most of them are rich people that donated to his campaign. I know that's the way it works but they need experience too. Mr Sessions has many years of experience in office as a lawmaker but do we want him as attorney general? There's nothing that we can do about that one. It looks like he has the job.

I don't like what Trump decides is important. He's petty and gets even with those that disagree with him or he feels they slighted him in any way. Worried about how the press presented the crowds on the day of the Inaugural. Who cares!! I worry that he will limit what folks can hear about what's going on in the office of President and folks wont won't even know what this guy is doing. He wants to shut the press out.

These folks who protested wants Trump to know that everyone is watching. He better not continue the actions and the way he's been talking the last two years because we are listening and have had enough.

What about the rights of the gays, lesbian and transgender people with Sessions as Attorney General and Trumpmas our president.

It has nothing to do with Hillary Clinton, that's the past. I'm worried about the future and a Trump presidency.

Last edited:
CarolKing,
Reactions: lwien

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Im in Mexico right now. Do you think it's easy for a white guy to move here and get citizenship? It's not. I feel for you and your friends, especially you @CarolKing i know you're a good person. I'm just saying if immigrating to other countries is also difficult, perhaps the US shouldn't take so much blame for something occurring in many other countries.

And "Planned Parenthood" sounds like a misnomer to me.

Last edited:

CarolKing

Madonna was just many celebrities and lawmakers that spoke at the March last Saturday. Madonna has a right to free speech and assembly like anyone else regardless of her performances. She has every right to protest if she feels that she sees something that she feels as unjust like anyone else. A protestute would have every right to protest, wouldn't you think? They are a person like anyone else. I sure don't agree with some of Madonna's bizarre speech that she gave. I suppose Trump will have the secret service investigating her.:lol:

Oppression - I guess it depends on who you are. Men and women can both be oppressed - gay men and lesbian woman are oppressed on a daily basis and so are different religions and minorities. The stop and frisk law sounds pretty oppressive to me if I were a person of color. This wasn't just about women I will repeat that once again. I saw many women but I saw men too. I saw whole families marching.

This was a March that included many cross sections of society. I don't know much about the pro life folks that were left out. I just watched this on TV like many of you. The Pro Life folks should be pretty happy about a Trump presidency and a Sessions Attorney General and not to mention a conservative member on the Supreme Court. That's the cherry on top for them. It looks like smooth sailing. They won't have much to be unhappy about.

Last edited:

little maggie

It's interesting reading some of the additions to this thread. Especially whether this was an anti-Trump march. I think that CarolKing said it best. It was not just for women and although it's become knows as the woman's march most of the people I know who were involved called it a "sisters march". That term included men, women, minorities of either gender or no gender. I think it's a mistake to narrow it to a statement by women for women.
At the same time, almost all of the women I personally know are pretty frightened about what is doing and will do.

Baron23

Planned Parenthood is a biggie here.
Come now, that's not a right....as in enshrined in our Constitution or even legal precedence!

Me, personally....I'm all about reproductive rights and believe that abortion foes object based on their religious views and I vigorously and rigorously oppose any injection of particular religious beliefs into our secular laws.

But, with Planned Parenthood....the issue is not that they will be outlawed some time, the issue is why should all tax payers, including those strongly opposed to abortion, have to pay for....abortions.

I'm personally fine with Planned Parenthood. But I don't see the basis for it being a taxpayer supported non-governmental organization.

Planned Parenthood started as a independent civilian agency (non-governmental) and should continue to operate that way.

That's really stretching it, my friend.

Grabbing a women's (pussy)private parts and bragging about it is unacceptable to me and many others. T

I agree that grabbing anyone's genitals univited is terribly aggregious and condemable behavoir.

I know that Trump talked about grabbing pussies.....but Clinton actually did so...in the Oval Office...while President. I didn't see that come up.

Then there is Kennedy. That symbol of Democratic Party, Camelot in the USA, and the liberal 'progressive' agenda. He also screwed every woman he could, including Monroe, while President AND married.

Then there is Johnson. Another Democratic President. Not a pussy grabber but by all reports a very crude, rude, aggressive, and manipulative politician of the old party machine school. I don't remember anybody comparing him to Nazis.

So, yeah....I think the demonstration was about Trump winning, the Republicans winning, and Democrats and Hillary losing.

By the by, I had house guests in for the weekend to go to the demonstration. I put them up, fed and watered them, and drove them and others to and from the Metro so that they could get to the demonstration. I certainly did not want to participate, I don't agree with what I think are the underlying motives of the demonstration, but like @HellsWindStaff I support the right of citizens of the USA to express their political views peacefully and exercise their franchise.

Finally, Trump was never my candidate and I would strongly prefer that someone else was our president. Of course, Hillary was never my candidate either. I believe that the political parties and our primary system failed miserably to present to the electorate any good candidates.

Cheers

Last edited:
Top Bottom